Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is now a good time to return?

I know it's my decision and no one else can make it for me but it doesn't hurt to get some perspective.

I quit playing WoW roughly a year ago and before that till the end I was a very active player and didn't take any breaks for at least 3 years.. maybe a little more. The reason for quitting was just boredom. I realized that I was forcing myself to log on to get the chores done each day and because of my guild so one day I just decided to to take a few days off, then it grew into a few weeks off, a few months .. until now.

So why am I considering return then? I guess the main reasons are nostalgia, most of my old guild still playing and I kind of miss the BGs and the atmosphere too a little.

So questions for those who still play it

-Does WoW still reward team play and playing with others? I'm mostly interested in small scale group play (5-10 people) where everyone is more or less casual. I wouldn't want to be "forced" to PuG because it's just less hassle and easier that way..

-How is PvP? I hated it in Cata when it took like 15 minutes to kill one player and usually they just got healed up or escaped before they died. One of the main reason I got bored was that I couldn't do BGs any more.

-I liked it when the numbers were small and clear. I immediately knew that a shadowbolt that hit for 2000 was good in TBC.. later it just became "some big number" and I didn't even notice it any more. I know they didn't do the big crunch already but how disruptive is it for someone who doesn't like big numbers? Has it already made the gear unintelligible as well.. like 45535 int chest or a weapon that gives 108000 spellpower.

-And the biggest one of them Ive heard disturbing things about MoP, that it's childish or asian or just bad or grindy. Now it will most likely not end well but how about and objective opinion? I liked the themes of all WoW expansions well enough. I liked the lore and everything, so will I like MoP as well? Provided that I like WoW and not some parody or pop culture reference? I usually try to keep an open mind but if it's like the Indiana Jones zone in Cata, it will probably not be for me and it might be best to wait for a new expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    -Does WoW still reward team play and playing with others? I'm mostly interested in small scale group play (5-10 people) where everyone is more or less casual. I wouldn't want to be "forced" to PuG because it's just less hassle and easier that way...
    Sure, you can still obtain all the purples your little heart desires in 10 man raids.

-How is PvP? I hated it in Cata when it took like 15 minutes to kill one player and usually they just got healed up or escaped before they died. One of the main reason I got bored was that I couldn't do BGs any more.
    PVP is still imbalanced, as it always is. If you've rolled the flavor of the month classes, you're better off than the less fortunate.

-I liked it when the numbers were small and clear. I immediately knew that a shadowbolt that hit for 2000 was good in TBC.. later it just became "some big number" and I didn't even notice it any more. I know they didn't do the big crunch already but how disruptive is it for someone who doesn't like big numbers? Has it already made the gear unintelligible as well.. like 45535 int chest or a weapon that gives 108000 spellpower.
    Number are inflated to match the commensurately enlarged health pools. If you're in it to see TBC style numbers, you're going to be disappointed.

-And the biggest one of them Ive heard disturbing things about MoP, that it's childish or asian or just bad or grindy. Now it will most likely not end well but how about and objective opinion? I liked the themes of all WoW expansions well enough. I liked the lore and everything, so will I like MoP as well? Provided that I like WoW and not some parody or pop culture reference? I usually try to keep an open mind but if it's like the Indiana Jones zone in Cata, it will probably not be for me and it might be best to wait for a new expansion.
    The game is fun, the expansion is well designed and enjoyable, and we're on the cusp of a great new raid being implemented. If you're going to rejoin, now would be the time as you'll be able to catch up to everyone else getting the newest tier set of gear.

Harrison Jones is conspicuously missing. He was a pretty sly reference at first, but Blizzard has taken the hint and he's not present in Pandaria. (I haven't seen any panda analogue for his Asian sidekick, Shorty, either.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    *snip*
    Thanks.

Can you clarify about PvP a bit? I don't mind imbalance, just not being to kill anyone in BGs because they almost don't take any damage and get healed up in a few seconds or just escape.

The number thing is pretty minor so it doesn't matter much, still, huge numbers and confusing and hard to track.

I wasn't talking about the Indiana Jones reference but anything like that. For example an excessive Pokemon reference zone or some such.. Easter eggs are fine but if they become a distraction or replacement for the actually lore, then it's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    If you're going to rejoin, now would be the time as you'll be able to catch up to everyone else getting the newest tier set of gear.
    Catching up takes a lot of time this expansion, though. Just be aware of that, and know that the raids have reverted to the BC-style. You'll have to work through the gear of 5.0 raids before you're ready to raid in 5.2. There also are no catch-up dungeons. There's LFR / raid-finder versions to help grab a little bit of gear, but gear drops from there are on a weekly lockout.

If you have friends that are already raiding and you're just starting again at L85, it'll take you a few weeks of serious playtime before you're able to join them. Don't let the pandas fool you - MoP is grindy - and if you're just wanting to play a game with friends, it's worth keeping in mind the grind that may stand between you and them.

Nothing has changed.

Ten bucks says you come back and then quit again within a month.

Wait 3 days until the Q4 report. Watch Blizzard squirm and sweat while trying to hide how bad Mists is. And save your money.

Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-02-04 at 10:29 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stede View Post
    Catching up takes a lot of time this expansion, though. Just be aware of that, and know that the raids have reverted to the BC-style. You'll have to work through the gear of 5.0 raids before you're ready to raid in 5.2. There also are no catch-up dungeons. There's LFR / raid-finder versions to help grab a little bit of gear, but gear drops from there are on a weekly lockout.

If you have friends that are already raiding and you're just starting again at L85, it'll take you a few weeks of serious playtime before you're able to join them. Don't let the pandas fool you - MoP is grindy - and if you're just wanting to play a game with friends, it's worth keeping in mind the grind that may stand between you and them.
    Wow, thats encouraging. I actually like grindy

Deleted
    the best point to return is always at a new expansion. The closest you are to the beginning of a new expansion the better.

Now is a good time since you probably have time to gear up and prepare for 5.2!

Deleted
    Can someone answer about the PvP as well? Do players still take forever to kill? I mean if you gear yourself for damage and even sacrifice your defenses if needed, is glass cannon again viable in PvP?

If it helps, you can buy the expansion for nearly 1/2 price on Amazon.

I just returned myself after several months away, and am hopelessly addicted to raising my pokemon, err... companion pets.

Can someone answer about the PvP as well? Do players still take forever to kill? I mean if you gear yourself for damage and even sacrifice your defenses if needed, is glass cannon again viable in PvP?
    it depends on your class. what do you play? as fire mage right now you can kill a healer in 1 deep freeze or any player really. now, most likely they will trinket deep so it doesnt work 100% of time. Rogues are kind of weak right now. the rest i guess is kind of the same. i was killed by a DK in about 6-7 seconds. then again if you have a healer it wont happen that fast.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Wait 3 days until the Q4 report. Watch Blizzard squirm and sweat while trying to hide how bad Mists is. And save your money.
    And why is this? Care to explain?

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    i agree with you 100%. even more with the fact that when 5.2 comes out, your still going to have to progress through the starter raids MSV, Heart of Fear, and Terrace of endless spring before you can do the 5.2 raid. since gear progression is no longer the gimme progression we had in cata wich was another fail expac, but back on topic. with linear progression again like we had in BC. people will be left behind

Quote Originally Posted by Tedsterz View Post
    And why is this? Care to explain?
    He never will. He doesn't like what WoW has become so he feels a need to force his hate onto others.

Watch.

The Q4 numbers will be fine and he'll make an excuse for it.

---------- Post added 2013-02-04 at 10:18 PM ----------

PVP is becoming a bit more balanced next Patch. Blizzard has been getting a ton of feedback from the community and are now implementing it into game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

I just unsubbed today not because the game wasn't fun but because I just lack the time that you need to invest to succeed in it, mists was fun, but unfortunately it's clock has ran its course for me. Hope you enjoy Mists!

At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazaxist View Post
    it depends on your class. what do you play? as fire mage right now you can kill a healer in 1 deep freeze or any player really. now, most likely they will trinket deep so it doesnt work 100% of time. Rogues are kind of weak right now. the rest i guess is kind of the same. i was killed by a DK in about 6-7 seconds. then again if you have a healer it wont happen that fast.
    I had a priest and a rogue sharing the position of "main" before I stopped. Also had a warlock alt.

I had a priest and a rogue sharing the position of "main" before I stopped. Also had a warlock alt.
    Rogues are getting buffed and fixed a bit next patch.

I think Priests are getting a healing buff and maybe a damage nerf? Might be mistaken.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Rogues are getting buffed and fixed a bit next patch.

I think Priests are getting a healing buff and maybe a damage nerf? Might be mistaken.
    Yea.. the priest was my healer but I mostly only did PvE content with it. Playing a rogue was just frustrating in Cata. It took forever to kill anyone and even if I did everything right, kicked the heals etc. it took so long that someone always came to help before they were dead.

Anyway, reading these posts made me really want to return I had no idea they changed their policy about making the PvP fights more "interesting" by making them frustratingly long and I also liked TBC style raids much more. It kept the guild together. In Cata everyone was just PuG'ing and we almost never got the group together and raids were cancelled all the time as someone was already saved.

So far, there's 3 or 4 broken overpowered classes that, if you're not playing as them you're screwed. These classes are capable of killing their targets in under 6 seconds. Balance PvP-wise is at 3.0 death knight levels and is about to get even worse come 5.2. The 3 or 4 above mentioned classes are getting replaced by 3 or 4 others. Avoid PvP at all costs.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2013-02-04 at 10:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Yea.. the priest was my healer but I mostly only did PvE content with it. Playing a rogue was just frustrating in Cata. It took forever to kill anyone and even if I did everything right, kicked the heals etc. it took so long that someone always came to help before they were dead.

Anyway, reading these posts made me really want to return I had no idea they changed their policy about making the PvP fights more "interesting" by making them frustratingly long and I also liked TBC style raids much more. It kept the guild together. In Cata everyone was just PuG'ing and we almost never got the group together and raids were cancelled all the time as someone was already saved.
    Mists has SO MUCH for you to do.

Don't let anyone in this thread tell you otherwise.

There aren't just "Dailies" as people make it out to be.

There are Pet Battles, levelling a Monk, exploring the continent itself, Scenarios, Dungeons, LFR, Raids, Challenge Modes..

The list goes on and on.