Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by l4808 View Post
    And so the point of the thread reveals itself.
    As a matter of fact, the word "the world" is not limited to our earth. It includes everything, yes, the universe too.

Of course, in most people's mind "the world" is earth. But the correct meanin includes the universe. I too was a bit "upset" and souldn't accept this, but yeah... In the end, I wanted to see how long it took before someone pointed it out.
    This is patently false, and no one uses that word in this context.
    No dictionary agrees with you, no astronomer agrees with you, and no linguist agrees with you.

Whoever told you this (unless you made it up, which is entirely possible), is simply talking out of their ass.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    This is patently false, and no one uses that word in this context.
    No dictionary agrees with you, no astronomer agrees with you, and no linguist agrees with you.

Whoever told you this (unless you made it up, which is entirely possible), is simply talking out of their ass.
    World English Dictionary
    world (wɜːld) [Click for IPA pronunciation guide]

— n
    1. the earth as a planet, esp including its inhabitants
    2. mankind; the human race
    3. people generally; the public: in the eyes of the world
    4. social or public life: to go out into the world
    5. the universe or cosmos; everything in existence
    6. a complex united whole regarded as resembling the universe
    7. any star or planet, esp one that might be inhabited...

I fail to see the "point" to this - so he used a word with no context, then gave us HIS definition of a word with multiple meanings, as if somehow demonstrating that he's clever.

I can do exactly the same:

I'm standing on some scales.

This thread leaves me with no option but to cover it up with leaves and leave.

It doesn't make you clever, it just means you supplied a poorly worded sentence.

Just say the universe the world is another name for the earth not for everything. Anyway in the visible universe there is suppose to be about 100 billion even though that may be wrong if there is far more we can't see. No one can guess a number that many technically be infinite depending on which theory holds through (even though the universe been infinite is not considered that likely any more).

Deleted
    The biggest misconception in this whole thread and especially by the OP and all who agree with him is the difference between the word "World" and the definition "The World"

The OP is talking about THE world which equals OUR world/earth.

The word 'World' could be used in many contexts, which is also the way how dictionaries interpetate them.
    So the word 'World' could be an Insect world, and Alien world, and Outer world..... but THE WORLD in the context of the OP means only 1 thing.... Earth.

Him being a smartass failed.

Deleted
    And so the point of the thread reveals itself.
    As a matter of fact, the word "the world" is not limited to our earth. It includes everything, yes, the universe too.

Of course, in most people's mind "the world" is earth. But the correct meanin includes the universe. I too was a bit "upset" and souldn't accept this, but yeah... In the end, I wanted to see how long it took before someone pointed it out.
    You need to get the people in charge of the world to change the definition of a couple of words then. A few things spring to mind, such as World War 2. By your definition the Nazi's were from another galexy? Or how was that a war of the world, if the world is not limited to planet earth? Very curious matter.

I'm pretty sure that semantics are the forum goers' kryptonite.

Deleted
    Wow, did you learn the definition of a word made by some stuck-up intellectuals? And you wanted to share this with the forum? Aww!

Quote Originally Posted by Weirdbear View Post
    Wow, did you learn the definition of a word made by some stuck-up, wrong 'intellectuals'? And you wanted to share this with the forum? Aww!
    Fixed that for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zefie View Post
    SOFTWARE VERSIONS SOMETIMES SKIP NUMBERS. THANK YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by Sápphh View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Yeah I can't think of any instance where I have heard the world world refer figuratively to everything in the universe.

Is this a really weak attempt at trolling.

Oh funny story about trolling.
    http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/

I was really big on reading this forum for about a month. They had me so pumped up on righteous fury! Then it hit me. Maybe they are being somewhat metaphoric and expressing their their views on the interpretations of reality by using an idea as extreme as flat earth. I was blown away! Wow, these guys must be the best trolls and intellectuals on the entire internets.

Well as time passed I figured out they were just fucking morons. Oh well. The dream was exciting for a moment.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Did the OP change the OP? The question I'm seeing is asking how many galaxies in the universe, not the world.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

15+ Year Old Account
    "the world" is a phrase with multiple meanings, sure, but that doesn't mean that one single meaning is more "correct".

I'm not sure why you would think that.

That's like saying going up to a soccer team and telling them that their definition of "goal" is wrong and that they should realize that it is actually an abstract concept that means "a future objective".
    Last edited by Simca; 2013-02-05 at 02:27 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    Changed title to universe since if it stayed the way it is then this thread would no longer have a point. (As the random fact has been given)

As for the number of galaxies in the universe, I think 130billion is an educated guess based on our current ability to detect galaxies but the real number could be much greater than that.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cr.../#.UREWBb84vW0

Here's an interesting thing. to sum it up, looking through the hubble at one area for 11 days and then estimating the minimum number of galaxies from that gave them a minimum of 100billion galaxies, but when they looked through it for 23days they found their new estimate to be 176billion.

I imagine the estimate will rise again when the James Webb is launched.

Deleted
    But the correct meanin includes the universe.
    Just one correction... it is not the "correct" meaning. It is just one of possible meanings. Lets look at wikipedia the source of truth in the internets :

"World is a common name for the whole of human civilization, specifically human experience, history, or the human condition in general, worldwide, i.e. anywhere on Earth."

also

"In a philosophical context it may refer to:

1.the whole of the physical Universe, or
    2.an ontological world (see world disclosure)."

or even

"In a theological context, world usually refers to the material or the profane sphere, as opposed to the celestial, spiritual, transcendent or sacred."

So as you see... world can have one of many meanings, and since you didn't specify each one of us picked whichever is more commonly used. Really the only wrong answers in the thread were the "None on Earth" replies. xD Considering you never mentioned what kind of galaxies you meant.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post

(British Chocolate, best chocolate)
    gotta love galaxy

Which universe ?

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    Changed title to universe since if it stayed the way it is then this thread would no longer have a point. (As the random fact has been given)

As for the number of galaxies in the universe, I think 130billion is an educated guess based on our current ability to detect galaxies but the real number could be much greater than that.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/cr.../#.UREWBb84vW0

Here's an interesting thing. to sum it up, looking through the hubble at one area for 11 days and then estimating the minimum number of galaxies from that gave them a minimum of 100billion galaxies, but when they looked through it for 23days they found their new estimate to be 176billion.

I imagine the estimate will rise again when the James Webb is launched.
    You ruined it. But yea, since I rudely made you guys go ahead and prove my point for me, I guess it's time
    Last edited by l4808; 2013-02-06 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post

(British Chocolate, best chocolate)
    Not even close lol

Quote Originally Posted by Curanhadin View Post
    Not even close lol
    I agree, I prefer the caramel filled Galaxy chocolate.