Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why I am 99% sure that Blizzcon 2013 will reveal a new expansion!

Many people on WoW, WoW forums and on MMO-Champion are convinced that announcing a new expansion this year would be too short of a time between MoP release and NEXT announcement. I am here to tell you that you are indeed wrong, and I have the numbers to prove it.

ANNOUNCEMENTS
    October 2005: The Burning Crusade
    August 2007: Wrath of the Lich King
    August 2009: Cataclysm
    October 2011: Mists of Pandaria

RELEASES:
    January 2007: The Burning Crusade
    November 2008: Wrath of the Lich King
    December 2010: Cataclysm
    September 2012: Mists of Pandaria

Time between ANNOUNCEMENT and RELEASE
    The Burning Crusade: 16 months
    Wrath of the Lich King: 16 months
    Cataclysm: 17 months
    Mists of Pandaria: 12 months
    Average: Around 15 months

Length of Expansions until next RELEASE
    TBC > WotLK: 23 months
    WotLK > Cata: 26 months
    Cata > MoP: 21 months
    MoP > NEXT: Around 24 months?

Time Between RELEASE and next ANOUNCEMENT
    TBC release > WotLK announcement: 8 months
    WotLK release > Cata announcement: 10 months
    Cata release > MoP announcement: 11 months
    MoP release > Blizzcon 2013: 12-14 months (longest period yet)

With the information above, I am 99% sure that Blizzcon 2013 will reveal the next expansion. In fact, it will not be the shortest peroid between release to announcement, as many believe it would be if something was announced this year. No. It would be the longest.

And just for some side information, NEXT will probably be released OCTOBER 2014.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it makes sense. Obviously we cannot be sure, but based on the current speed of development, I agree.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have no problems with this, hope for announcements for diablo expansion pack too
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

I haven't seen anyone say they won't announce a new xpac. Everyone I've seen with an opinion on the matter thinks it's fairly obvious they will.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Deleted
    The always release information about expansion packs at the Blizzcon around 1 year after the previous game was released. Id say its 100% guaranteed.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is news? It always is the Blizzcon after an expansion goes on sale that they reveal the next one. If they want it out in 2 years, next year's Blizzcon will be too late unless it's held in January.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think this is a controversial claim. The timing is right. If they didn't announce the new expansion at Blizzcon 2013, that would mean either Mists was going to last significantly longer than their intended expansion release time frame, or that it would be released soon after being announced at Blizzcon 2014, which doesn't make sense.

Plus they cancelled 2012 for lack of a big announcement which seems to imply they won't do anymore years like (2009? I don't remember) that have no big announcement, which was a pretty big mistake.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I don't think this is a controversial claim. The timing is right. If they didn't announce the new expansion at Blizzcon 2013, that would mean either Mists was going to last significantly longer than their intended expansion release time frame, or that it would be released soon after being announced at Blizzcon 2014, which doesn't make sense.

Plus they cancelled 2012 for lack of a big announcement which seems to imply they won't do anymore years like (2009? I don't remember) that have no big announcement, which was a pretty big mistake.
    2012 was pretty much a dud. By the time of Blizzcon MoP beta would be done (or even MoP on sale), the D3 expansion wouldn't be ready for a reveal, leaving just some misc. info about HotS to give out.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

How am I the only one who has noticed all the people on every next expansion thread debating if they'll announce anything or not? I'd post comments, but I am for privacy.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was thinking about this a while back, wondering when they will announce it and stuff. Problem I ran into was the timing. If they keep Mists running for 24 months like you suggest that would go completely against the more, faster content thing they have been saying they want. I highly, highly doubt they would want another ICC/DS 9month+ drama.

With raids lasting about 6 months, the next tier after 5.2 will be Sept/Oct. If that is the last tier of the expansion then we'd pretty much have to have an announcement BEFORE that, or else there's just not enough time to get a whole beta process done before we are looking at a 9 month gap again. Remember Mists was announced MONTHS before DS was actually live, and even then it took those long, long months of nothing to do to get Mists finished.

My idea is that they will pretty much HAVE to announce the new expansion BEFORE Blizzcon in Sept/Oct. because of all this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well think about it when the next Blizzcon hits it will be a year since MoP released, so its pretty obvious they will they always have.

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 03:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    I was thinking about this a while back, wondering when they will announce it and stuff. Problem I ran into was the timing. If they keep Mists running for 24 months like you suggest that would go completely against the more, faster content thing they have been saying they want. I highly, highly doubt they would want another ICC/DS 9month+ drama.

With raids lasting about 6 months, the next tier after 5.2 will be Sept/Oct. If that is the last tier of the expansion then we'd pretty much have to have an announcement BEFORE that, or else there's just not enough time to get a whole beta process done before we are looking at a 9 month gap again. Remember Mists was announced MONTHS before DS was actually live, and even then it took those long, long months of nothing to do to get Mists finished.

My idea is that they will pretty much HAVE to announce the new expansion BEFORE Blizzcon in Sept/Oct. because of all this.
    I have a feeling they will do it again, but it will be shorter like 6-7 months. basically the same timeframe of other tiers just pushed off alittle.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will be surprised if they don't announce one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post
    Many people on WoW, WoW forums and on MMO-Champion are convinced that announcing a new expansion this year would be too short of a time between MoP release and NEXT announcement. I am here to tell you that you are indeed wrong, and I have the numbers to prove it.

ANNOUNCEMENTS
    October 2005: The Burning Crusade
    August 2007: Wrath of the Lich King
    August 2009: Cataclysm
    October 2011: Mists of Pandaria

RELEASES:
    January 2007: The Burning Crusade
    November 2008: Wrath of the Lich King
    December 2010: Cataclysm
    September 2012: Mists of Pandaria

Time between ANNOUNCEMENT and RELEASE
    The Burning Crusade: 16 months
    Wrath of the Lich King: 16 months
    Cataclysm: 17 months
    Mists of Pandaria: 12 months
    Average: Around 15 months

Length of Expansions until next RELEASE
    TBC > WotLK: 23 months
    WotLK > Cata: 26 months
    Cata > MoP: 21 months
    MoP > NEXT: Around 24 months?

Time Between RELEASE and next ANOUNCEMENT
    TBC release > WotLK announcement: 8 months
    WotLK release > Cata announcement: 10 months
    Cata release > MoP announcement: 11 months
    MoP release > Blizzcon 2013: 12-14 months (longest period yet)

With the information above, I am 99% sure that Blizzcon 2013 will reveal the next expansion. In fact, it will not be the shortest peroid between release to announcement, as many believe it would be if something was announced this year. No. It would be the longest.

And just for some side information, NEXT will probably be released OCTOBER 2014.
    Dude i don't know where you've been or why you think you know something more than others.

Blizzard have ALWAYS announced an expansion one year after one has been released, why did you ever think this one would be any different? Yes Blizz will announce the next xpac in this Blizzcon.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's likely, yes. When is this year's blizzcon supposed to take place?

Quote Originally Posted by spinalc0rd View Post
    Dude i don't know where you've been or why you think you know something more than others.

Blizzard have ALWAYS announced an expansion one year after one has been released, why did you ever think this one would be any different? Yes Blizz will announce the next xpac in this Blizzcon.
    Hello, sir arrogant!

If you reread my post, you will see I am responding to the fools on the forums who believe otherwise. No need to be insulted, fool.

Infracted. Please don't insult other posters.
    Last edited by Rivellana; 2013-02-05 at 11:05 PM.

I'm betting WoW Xpac Reveal, D3 Xpac Reveal, SC2 Legacy of the Void Trailer, Titan Reveal, Blizzard All-Stars Cinematic and release date, and Battle.net layer reveal

Quote Originally Posted by Benno View Post
    I'm betting WoW Xpac Reveal, D3 Xpac Reveal, SC2 Legacy of the Void Trailer, Titan Reveal, Blizzard All-Stars Cinematic and release date, and Battle.net layer reveal
    Would be nice, but Titan reveal would suck all the air out of the other reveals. Not much space would be provided to cover expacs of existing games if Blizz announces the next big MMO everyone has been wondering about for years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalian View Post
    Hello, sir arrogant!

If you reread my post, you will see I am responding to the fools on the forums who believe otherwise. No need to be insulted, fool.
    No need to engage in name-calling either. That goes for everyone should people be tempted.

That said, I don't think it will be a big surprise to see the next expansion announced at Blizzcon either. Those that think it won't have a right to their own opinion I suppose but it doesn't make a lot of sense. So does a lot of stuff I read though. Common sense is a valuable commodity. So is civility. I'd recommend it.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post

Though I hesitate to correct a moderator, I am pretty sure that they cancelled Blizzcon 2012 due to the fact that they had 4 titles they were shooting at having put out last year. They obviously didn't all happen, but I feel that they didn't "sneak by" anything. Four games in a year approaching anything like Blizzards polish is impossible for other companies.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.