Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Muslim Heroes Saved Jewish Lives During Holocaust

Once upon a time,

Muslim Heroes Saved Jewish Lives During Holocaust

Today’s news is filled with stories of conflict, many of them focused on Israel and its Jewish and Muslim population. Within the history of the Holocaust, there are many under-reported stories of Muslims who bravely saved Jewish lives and it is important to tell these stories. According to the American scholar Arnold Reisman, Turkey actually did more to save Jewish lives during the Holocaust than the United States and the United Kingdom. In sum, Turkey saved around 15,000 Turkish Jews who were living in France, 20,000 Eastern European Jews, and an additional 190 prominent Jewish scholars who found safe haven in Turkey. Turkish Counsels in Greece and France fought hard to save Jewish lives at enormous risk. For instance, on the island of Rhodes, Turkish Consul Selahattin Ülkümen pressured the Nazis into sparing the 50 Jews of Rhodes who possessed Turkish citizenship. Later on, he was imprisoned by the Nazis after his consulate was bombed and his pregnant wife was murdered by the Nazis.

Interestingly, Turkey was not the only Muslim country whose diplomats actively worked to save Jewish lives during the Holocaust at enormous risk. Abdol-Hossein Sardari, who was in charge of the Iranian mission in Paris, saved 2,000 Iranian Jews that were living in France during the Nazis occupation, despite the fact that it put his career and life on the line; he continued to fight to save Jewish lives even after Iran was overrun by Allied Forces and he was ordered home by his superiors. He used his own personal inheritance money to finance the rescue of Iranian Jews after he was stripped of his diplomatic immunity and pay. Unfortunately, Abdol-Hossein Sardari never received any recognition during his lifetime and died in exile in London in 1981, after his Ambassador’s pension and Iranian properties were lost during the 1979 Iranian Revolution.

http://unitedwithisrael.org/muslim-h...ing-holocaust/

Deleted
    It's nice to read stories from time to time that aren't about revenge or pre-emptive strikes.

Do you have any about jews and muslims helping each other that don't pre-date the founding of Israel?
    (Inbefore any misunderstandings, this is a sincere question and not some douchy rhetorical one to imply that it never happens)

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    funny enough I never consider Turkey as some hate-mongering country. But cool story nonetheless

If you really want to read about something interesting/depressing, read about Afghanistan in the 60s and 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    If you really want to read about something interesting/depressing, read about Afghanistan in the 60s and 50s.
    Well, that just broke my damned heart. Thanks Wells

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by katsung47 View Post
    Once upon a time,
    Yea, world is different now. Dunno why jewish people are still a topic. Turkey still didnt fight in wwII to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Well, that just broke my damned heart. Thanks Wells
    Once you get over how fucking depressing it is its a really interesting case study for political science.

Deleted
    Good news everyone !!

Only those so called " Jews " died in WW2.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    why is that depressing? Its the best time the country had. Then the wars came.

Once you get over how fucking depressing it is its a really interesting case study for political science.
    Any good book suggestions? I need to reload the Kindle.

Not off the top of my head.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 03:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gunzy View Post
    Its nice to think that humanity is progressing through out the years. And we are.

But not always.

Yeah, the pictures aren't depressing in and of themselves. They're quite gorgeous, really. It's thinking of what's happened since and what once was that's depressing. If it had just always been a nonstop bag of shit, I wouldn't feel bad about it.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the pictures aren't depressing in and of themselves. They're quite gorgeous, really. It's thinking of what's happened since and what once was that's depressing. If it had just always been a nonstop bag of shit, I wouldn't feel bad about it.
    Getting derpressed over something you cant do about is impractical. Global politics will never be moraly correct from a ordinary persons view. It will always be a jungle. No matter how media will sugarcoat it for the public.

Getting derpressed over something you cant do about is impractical.
    You realize I'm not literally depressed, right? I find that circumstance sad, then I proceed to drink my single hop Simcoe IPA and watch Jeff Ross on TV.

Nice to read this kind of news. I never knew this actually happened but I'm not surprised it happened. Media has a way to use its influence and create a stereotype against a certain nation, race, culture and religion. Nowadays, all I hear are bad news about the muslim. When I studied their history and religion I never understand why many people think they are a violent and barbaric culture.

Yea, world is different now. Dunno why jewish people are still a topic. Turkey still didnt fight in wwII to say the least.
    If you were Turkey, would you?

10+ Year Old Account
    You might enjoy http://www.amazon.com/Guru-Papers-Ma.../dp/1883319005

You can find stories like that in a number of areas, unfortunately.

are there more albums like that?

During Egypt's uprising last year many Muslims volunteered to act as human-shields for Coptic-Christians in case extremists made them a target.

Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    Thanks, it's in the cart!