Thread: AMD A10-5800k

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

AMD A10-5800k

So thinking of throwing together a HTPC/spare gaming PC and was wondering if anyone can give me a rough idea how well this CPU will run games like Rift, how well will the onboard graphics perform and will it be enough to play it at a comfortable 30fps on say, medium to high settings. Using this CPU I could through together a second build for £300~ using a spare part or too. I know it says it uses Radeon HD 7660D but is that the same as a standard 7660 or weaker? Also I've heard that the graphics on these can be overclocked? Anyone can shed some light please

Taking into account that the A10 is priced at £90 GBP, is there any better options and is the A10 good value for money?
    Last edited by Fluffygong; 2013-01-25 at 05:07 PM.

Rift is pretty hard on graphics performance, A10-5800K will not run it properly without discrete graphics card above low settings. Besides that the processor is ok pick for HTPC setup.

IIRC the GPU on A10-5800K is somewhere between 5570 and 5670 in performance. Having 1866MHz RAM will speed it up quite notably but still not enough for comfortable gaming.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

And if I'm going to need another graphics card is there much point in taking an APU? Although if I'm going to need another GPU might just scrap the idea of having it double as a HTPC and a spare gaming PC for guests.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Here's a useful review regarding the capability of the CPU and the GPU. It's nothing to scoff at, but you'll need to keep the graphics on medium.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/...1103125/review

Quote Originally Posted by Parrin View Post
    Here's a useful review regarding the capability of the CPU and the GPU. It's nothing to scoff at, but you'll need to keep the graphics on medium.

Keep in mind that those test are done at 1280x800.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by Parrin View Post

Yeah I'd be playing at 1680x1050 at the minimum. It does mention the posiblity of Crossfire but then no idea how powerful a card I'd need to compliment it with to make it worth while over just getting a standard CPU and GPU option

Overclocking your GPU in CCC + overclocking your RAM (2100+) will let you play WoW in 1080p with medium settings, some on high, at around 40fps in open world and 5-mans. Don't know about raids or Rift as I haven't tested it. Highly recommended low budget buy tbh. Get's my thumbs up if you are on a low budget for whatever reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    you can couple it with a cheap 6670 or something and get decent fps i'd guess, just get fast ram since the apu uses it as vram.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    Overclocking your GPU in CCC + overclocking your RAM (2100+) will let you play WoW in 1080p with medium settings, some on high, at around 40fps in open world and 5-mans. Don't know about raids or Rift as I haven't tested it. Highly recommended low budget buy tbh. Get's my thumbs up if you are on a low budget for whatever reason.
    No idea on how to overclock RAM but would http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A771ZWI/?tag=pcp0f-21 be good enough? 2400, 8gb, not too pricey either but it might just be a poor chip. Meant to be for a build mainly used as a HTPC but if I can tweak at minimal costs to get it to game even on medium that'd make me happy.

Faster RAM will make it less sucky in 3D games, but still wont make it playable at FullHD resolution.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Faster RAM will make it less sucky in 3D games, but still wont make it playable at FullHD resolution.
    I'd only be using it at 1680x1050 maximum. For gaming anyway.

At 1680*1050 that ram should be more than sufficient. You overclock the RAM in BIOS. The 5800K will be playable at 1080p for WoW etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    At 1680*1050 that ram should be more than sufficient. You overclock the RAM in BIOS. The 5800K will be playable at 1080p for WoW etc.
    Not at high settings though, that's what he was looking for in the first post.
    Trolling should be.

Isn't RIFT more taxing on the GPU than WoW is?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Isn't RIFT more taxing on the GPU than WoW is?
    Yes it is.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Not at high settings though, that's what he was looking for in the first post.
    Running on medium settings with decent FPS would be perfectly satisfactory. Can always manually lower things that have a big impact and increase those that don't

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafax View Post
    you can couple it with a cheap 6670 or something and get decent fps i'd guess, just get fast ram since the apu uses it as vram.
    Not in Rift. Even 6870s struggle in Rift.

Some notes for the OP from a fellow Rift player:

Rift is very NVidia friendly and from what I've heard from other players who have run it on both AMD and Intel systems is it favors Intel substantially. Hell my i5-2500K@4.6GHz and 560 Ti@950MHz can struggle in certain areas. If you want any decent graphics at all, I seriously suggest saving for an i5-3570K and at least a GTX 660/660 Ti. Rift is not your average MMO, unlike most, it heavily uses the graphics card and fps can be very dependent on the GPU, in comparison to games like SWTOR, WoW, etc.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Hell my i5-2500K@4.6GHz and 560 Ti@950MHz can struggle in certain areas. If you want any decent graphics at all, I seriously suggest saving for an i5-3570K and at least a GTX 660/660 Ti. Rift is not your average MMO, unlike most, it heavily uses the graphics card and fps can be very dependent on the GPU, in comparison to games like SWTOR, WoW, etc.
    I currently am running a i5-2500k at 3.3ghz, no OC atm with a 6950 2gb and running everything ultra and completely maxxed, fair enough I play at 1680x1050 but I only get some fps lag in world events/some heavy conquests

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffygong View Post
    I currently am running a i5-2500k at 3.3ghz, no OC atm with a 6950 2gb and running everything ultra and completely maxxed, fair enough I play at 1680x1050 but I only get some fps lag in world events/some heavy conquests
    Stronger GPU combined with ~17% less pixels can make for a big difference in performance.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Stronger GPU combined with ~17% less pixels can make for a big difference in performance.
    ^This, Fluffygong. I'm playing at 1920x1080 and thus have more pixels to compute, which does make quite the difference. Having a 2GB VRAM 6950 is also likely helping you, at least.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water