Thread: Laptop Input

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Laptop Input

i just bought the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834215615

i was wondering how it will hold up to WoW 15 man bgs arenas 3v3 and 2v2 etc. should i upgrade anything on it? if so then what? price isnt an issue for upgrading. also is windows 8 bad? i have used windows 7 64 bit for a few years now im just wondering if windows 8 will make me hate myself

Deleted
    well it's decent but you'd be kinda stuck on that low resolution. (it is low'ish for a 15" screen perhaps a better way to put it)
    performance will be decent at native but will look pretty bad if used to 1080p
    also i think there are better alternatives out there with stronger gpu's/screens. (cpu department should be plenty to handle even some wow raiding)
    about that upgrading there is very little to upgrade on a laptop beyond hdd>ssd or RAM upgrades (which kinda won't mean anything usefull to actual gaming performance)

could you send me a link for something that would be better by chance?

Deleted
    budget? i'll likely find some asus or msi laptop.

700 before tax for the laptop preferably

10+ Year Old Account
    Rocking the Asus G74SX-A1; love it. Although now they have the G75 out, and while it's large (roughly 10 pounds, 17.3' screen it's a powerhouse and can be found at some sites for around $800 USD.

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 09:00 PM ----------

Also, ewww; under $700 right now all I'm finding is resolutions under 1080x1920. Stupid BestBuy (always a rip!) and Newegg...

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 09:02 PM ----------

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834127831

Slightly better, but not by much...

Quote Originally Posted by Joathen View Post
    Rocking the Asus G74SX-A1; love it. Although now they have the G75 out, and while it's large (roughly 10 pounds, 17.3' screen it's a powerhouse and can be found at some sites for around $800 USD.

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 09:00 PM ----------

Also, ewww; under $700 right now all I'm finding is resolutions under 1080x1920. Stupid BestBuy (always a rip!) and Newegg...

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 09:02 PM ----------

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834127831

Slightly better, but not by much...
    At that budget going under 1080p isn't necessary a bad thing, you can't afford a powerful GPU so the lower resolution helps a bit.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

You will be just fine in the arena with highest settings but once you step into a major city or most importantly somewhere with dense environment cluster FPS will drop dramatically(assuming render distance is set to high as well). This kind of multi purpose laptops are not great for gaming. I own one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    At that budget going under 1080p isn't necessary a bad thing, you can't afford a powerful GPU so the lower resolution helps a bit.
    No, but you'd think it'd be easier to find laptops with old 560/70/80M's, can run WoW on Good with a pretty solid 50-60 FPS in SW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Missclick View Post
    700 before tax for the laptop preferably
    and what did you have in mind to spend on upgrades? (or would i be mistaken to assume that would raise the budget aswell?)
    bah looks like all the good deals on laptops in that range aren't around this time.

i was gunna pay for the upgrades at a later date. the 700 is a base amount. i can push it up to 800 or so since i get paid friday. i run wow in 1440x900 right now on my computer and i love it like that if that makes any difference :x

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Missclick View Post
    i was gunna pay for the upgrades at a later date. the 700 is a base amount. i can push it up to 800 or so since i get paid friday. i run wow in 1440x900 right now on my computer and i love it like that if that makes any difference :x
    well in that case you should be fine on the original one you bought, however i would save some more money and have a laptop that will last for a longer period of time.

how long will this one last me? if its 2 years or so tops then its all good in my eyes

Deleted
    possible considering you don't mind the resolution it will last that time period.

alright i cancelled the purchase of the laptop. so i guess i will start over. hopefully i can get something that will last me a while

800ish for laptop (can upgrade RAM SSD at later date if reccomended)
    want to play wow in 1440x900 (currently on my desktop everything ultra) so if i can stay close to that i will be happy
    i dont raid on wow i mainly pvp 3v3 and 10 man RBGS
    some other games i would be interested in are older RTS games and some steam downloads like dungeon defenders and LoL so nothing major

sorry for the trouble everyone and thanks again for all the help

Deleted
    meh best i can dig up is this one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834152377)
    slightly better gpu but better screens just don't excist anymore untill the 1k limit

am i able to transfer wow patches between computers with a flash drive still? or is something stopping me from doing that nowadays?

---------- Post added 2013-02-05 at 09:58 PM ----------

i suppose i should elaborate, I recently moved to an area that i have to game thru verizons jetpack since its the only form of internet outside of satillite i can get in the area. i get about 90 ms and i havent seen it spike so its decent. but i have a data allowance cap of 20gigs or so. with wow patches and such that will eat thru my data allowance quick. so i thought since i travel a lot a laptop would be nice to have so i can download patches etc onto it and when im home for my short periods of time i can just transfer all the patches to my desktops at home so it doesnt eat my data allowance up

Deleted
    should work , however a fresh download/install usually works better.
    perhaps download it from a school network/libarary or alike?

i dont want to drag my desktop around everywhere to get wow patches :P i was hoping it would work just as good from transferring the file from the laptop

Try: http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/c...7A&action=init

A little more pricey, but under the 1k range. There's also other options on the site but they're limited.