Number of homeless Iraq, Afghan vets doubles

Number of homeless Iraq, Afghan vets doubles
    By Gregg Zoroya - USA Today
    Posted : Wednesday Dec 26, 2012 19:13:47 EST

The number of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans who are homeless or at risk of losing a roof over their heads has more than doubled in the past two years, according to government data.

Through the end of September, 26,531 of them were living on the streets, at risk of losing their homes, staying in temporary housing or receiving federal vouchers to pay rent, the Department of Veterans Affairs reports.

That’s up from 10,500 in 2010. The VA says the numbers could be higher because they include only the homeless the department is aware of.
    http://www.armytimes.com/news/2012/1...terans-122612/
    Does the war in Iraq and Afghan create those homeless people?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty sad tbh.

You would think that with the amount of money we pump into the military, we could at least make sure our vets have a home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loganroth51 View Post
    Pretty sad tbh.

You would think that with the amount of money we pump into the military, we could at least make sure our vets have a home.
    You'd think... Being an OIF veteran (two deployments) this is so incredibly unacceptable. There are a lot of bills that have stalled in both the house and senate. http://www.nchv.org/ Has so much information and so many resources out there, that I just don't understand how people don't really know this.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    I'm confused. You do a tour and then you are done? Job is gone after that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    No, you have a contract for X number of years. Most younger Soldiers are usually done in 4 years, which usually includes 1 deployment.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account

I'm pretty sure they have the option to renew their contracts or not and by the things going on over there I'm not surprised no one wants another tour.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Okay so you have a job for 5 years then. Is there no way to keep being a soldier full-time?

10+ Year Old Account
    Okay so you have a job for 5 years then. Is there no way to keep being a soldier full-time?
    Yes, you can sign another contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

10+ Year Old Account
    Now i'm even more confused.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now i'm even more confused.
    What part of this is confusing. Most people who are in the armed forces are not there for their entire career. It's actually a major point of separation for service people, those who are in it for the long haul, and those who are not. 'Career' service members are not what this article is talking about really, these are the large number of folks who were brought into the forces to fight in the wars who then left and are now in financial trouble.

OT: What a surprise, shit sucks for vets too. This is to be expected, most of our folks coming out of the armed forces have 'some' training and degrees in specific work but they are like me at the moment, the job market is so bad that we are competing for jobs we SHOULD be getting with people who should be getting better jobs. But since we have a glut of overqualified workers everyone has to drop down a peg, so those of us with the least important sounding degrees get pushed off the bottom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Thank god my country takes care of their own, and sometimes yours too.
    If I lived in a country that beats it's chest proud as a peacock ALL THE TIME and they treated vets like that I think I'd have to consider either leaving said country or trying to effect change. Short of that, burn shit down until the powers that be took care of the people who have taken care of us.
    And that is what vets have done. I know, some asshole who does not understand a damn thing in life will come in here and shittalk vets, war, ect.
    But I tell you, they have no idea whats what.
    If you are a vet, I am proud of you, I have respect for you, and if I saw you, I'd help you, however I can.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

Deleted
    Can't they just ask for wellfare, like anyone else who lost his job ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Can you still get back into the armed forces if you leave and find yourself homeless/jobless?

The problem is even though their been bills introduced by Obama that would make it easier for people in armed services to transfer out of that life and securely get another job. There is almost nothing. You could be a highly trained medical person in the army then when you come out have to get a job flipping burgers. (There are some exceptions in some jobs where being in Military is a plus) it's difficult for some people to complete that transfer.

On top of that you have some soldiers coming back with serve mood disorders like (PTSD) which mentally makes them more fragile and emotionally. There's not enough funding to mental health provided so they get access to mental health services when they need it. It's easy to go to war and do this but its harder to take care of everything when they come back.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    You'd think... Being an OIF veteran (two deployments) this is so incredibly unacceptable. There are a lot of bills that have stalled in both the house and senate. http://www.nchv.org/ Has so much information and so many resources out there, that I just don't understand how people don't really know this.
    A lot of the homeless Vets I have seen over the past 5 years in the VA system have had some serious mental issues, so I think just plain not understanding things is part of the issue here. Not to mention, you can have all the information in the world about these programs and not have it help one bit because everything is so backlogged it's not even funny. As sad as that sounds.

Do they at least get some of the gasoline they risked their lives for?

Quote Originally Posted by Hurwyn View Post
    As far as I'm aware they may get one check per month depending on how long they were in. The transfer is very diffcult for them to adjust to live not in the army. Some actually do successfully leave and do well. Others fall through the cracks do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurwyn View Post
    Oh you stop it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by loganroth51 View Post
    George Carlin had a great segment on how pro-lifers would do anything to support a fetus from conception to birth, but after that they leave the child on their own. Same thing with our Congress not hesitating to send soldiers into war, being on their side while they fight, but then that support dissipates when they come back home like helping with training programs to apply military roles to civilian jobs.

There's the officer path but I know first hand that it is hard if you have a family; my mom had to take the responsibilities of both parents while working as an RN for the majority of a 12-month span up until 7th grade when my dad retired(although he loved joking about going to grad school afterwards with students half his age).
    3930K . RIVE . 2x 7970 . Cosmos II . AX1200 . 3x Dell U2312hm
    Computer Setup / DH / huntard