Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Can the President Kill Indiscriminately?

A confidential Justice Department memo concludes that the U.S. government can order the killing of American citizens if they are believed to be terrorist even if there is no intelligence indicating they are engaged in an active plot to attack the U.S.

The 16-page memo provides new details about the legal reasoning behind one of the Obama administration’s most secretive and controversial polices: its dramatically increased use of drone strikes against terrorist suspects, including those aimed at American citizens, such as the September 2011 strike in Yemen that killed alleged al-Qaida operatives Anwar al-Awlaki and Samir Khan. Both were U.S. citizens who had never been indicted by the U.S. government nor charged with any crimes.

10+ Year Old Account
    When this is used to kill an actual American then you may have a case.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Indiscriminately? No.

Quote Originally Posted by zerocoolhack View Post
    I don't think this is one of these things you just kind of wait to see what happens next on.

Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post
    Indiscriminately? No.
    In fairness to the President, he doesn't think that either.

10+ Year Old Account
    3 actual Americans were killed. No trial, no jury, just executed. They may have been found guilty, but we will never know.

Links to sources help, OP:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21333570
    Last edited by Roose; 2013-02-06 at 02:38 AM.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    If the president kills someone who we find out maybe cut him off on the road or some BS reason like that im sure the people below him will stop him he only has the power to control people and they dont always have to listen
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Is he supposed to? No. Can he? Absolutely.

its called the NDAA get with the times people

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    3 actual Americans were killed. No trial, no jury, just executed. They may have been found guilty, but we will never know.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21333570
    When those "americans" renounce their citizen ship and promote the killing of American people I think you lose your right to be American.

10+ Year Old Account
    Certain criteria must be met, per the memo:

1) Target must be outside the United States.
    2) Target must be a senior, operational member of al Qaeda or affiliated groups.
    3) Is an imminent threat to the United States
    4) Capturing individual is not possible.

So no, not indiscriminately.

However, the language in this memo is incredibly vague. Their definition of "imminent threat" is frightening at best. No evidence of an active plot required? That's not imminent.

Not really too pleased with the administration over this one, but I do realize we are not privy to a great deal of information.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    If you guys don't hear from me tomorrow you will know the truth...that and mods here.

Holy Impeachment Process batman!

Realistically speaking, yes, he can. Neither his corrupt government nor his zealot particularly zealous followers will call him on it if he does it. Just the usual excuses/refusal to acknowledge, or saying that there must be info we don't know that justifies it.
    Last edited by Magpai; 2013-02-06 at 02:55 AM.

Anwar al-Awlaki and Samir Khan where natural born American citizens and they was tried and executed by the President with out any jury or judge Obama decided on his own they where a threat and ordered their assignation with out any due process of the law that is granted to all American citizens by the constitution

Do you want any President to have that Power to decide and order the assignation of any American citizen he decides on his own as a threat
    Obama administration has called the Tea Part terrorist would then he order their assassination
    Last edited by Vyxn; 2013-02-06 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vyxn View Post
    A confidential Justice Department memo concludes that the U.S. government can order the killing of American citizens if they are believed to be terrorist even if there is no intelligence indicating they are engaged in an active plot to attack the U.S.

The 16-page memo provides new details about the legal reasoning behind one of the Obama administration’s most secretive and controversial polices: its dramatically increased use of drone strikes against terrorist suspects, including those aimed at American citizens, such as the September 2011 strike in Yemen that killed alleged al-Qaida operatives Anwar al-Awlaki and Samir Khan. Both were U.S. citizens who had never been indicted by the U.S. government nor charged with any crimes.
    If you read the memo then you would know that no, the president cannot kill indiscriminately.

Not sure why people on the right thing liberals support this.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    Certain criteria must be met, per the memo:

1) Target must be outside the United States.
    2) Target must be a senior, operational member of al Qaeda or affiliated groups.
    3) Is an imminent threat to the United States
    4) Capturing individual is not possible.

So no, not indiscriminately.

However, the language in this memo is incredibly vague. Their definition of "imminent threat" is frightening at best. No evidence of an active plot required? That's not imminent.

Not really too pleased with the administration over this one, but I do realize we are not privy to a great deal of information.
    If you are a terrorist in the US they can arrest you and hold you forever without charging you so now I guess there is nowhere you can hide.

Even though there are subjective criteria I would agree that its not indiscriminate as that would imply he can kill anyone, anywhere, for any reason. Oh and youre much more likely to be jailed forever as a terrorist than droned since you would have to be outside the US and uncapturable.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    Realistically speaking, yes, he can. Neither his corrupt government nor his zealot followers will call him on it if he does it. Just the usual excuses/refusal to acknowledge, or saying that there must be info we don't know that justifies it.
    #tinfoilhat

no, but really... zealot followers? are you for real?

Anyways, there's this thing called investigative journalism... and this other thing called a GOP dominated House, and this other thing called democracy... and this other thing called....

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Not sure why people on the right thing liberals support this.
    Its just because it gives a Democrat president the power to do it. If the president was a Republican they would be fine with it. Basically feigned opposition.