Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    They tested the item squish before but scrapped it, they said classes felt too weak.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    I've always been for the item squish. Big numbers loose their "WOW!" factor when everything is a 5+ digit number with some 6 digit numbers tossed in.

I remember in Wrath, as certain classes, you felt like a certified BADASS if you got 10K+ crits. Now, those are common for any 85+.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by KrumGaming View Post
    They tested the item squish before but scrapped it, they said classes felt too weak.
    I think the post before yours (which is almost zen in its lack of relevance) gives a decent illustration of why they came to that conclusion, or at least whose perception they had in mind.

I hope so!
    You kill or you die. Or you die and you kill.
    Tell them only that the Lich King is dead and that World of Warcraft died with him.

And there we go again... "Item squish" is one of those things which is not compatible with RPG whatsoever as it just throws any feeling of progress out of the window and it makes a precedent. And once precedent is made you can never believe in any progress in game anymore, why bother if it can be trashed any moment.

If people can't read numbers bigger than "999" - it is problems with people, not with game. The only problem I can see from this thread (which can still be fixed) - is gigantic gap between t14 and t15 + Thunderforged gear. Just make it so 25-men bosses drop 1000 gold per player and more people will come to 25-men, meanwhile scrap Thunderforged gear altogether. And make t15 raid drop 515 ilvl on normal instead of 522. FIXED!

Personally i can't see how it matters if you do 100 or 10000 damage if mob dies in same time (as their hp is squished too). But most players don't understand this so they just whine. "Hurr big numberz 8-D"
    Former unique snowflake.

Ive yet to see anyone give any reason as to why numbers need to be squished other than "is too highz!"

honestly does it really matter? the ONLY thing the item squish would do is make it harder to solo things and make it slightly easier to read health and dps meters.

before mists blizzard said they made a choice either they were going to squish the numbers or they were going to put little K's on them the reason for this was basically because they wouldnt fit in the box. this isnt a problem anymore.

so honestly what does it matter?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    The counter argument is why should they appease your boner for large numbers if all that really matters is your relative power to the mob itself?
    Because the item squish will affect the relative power in different ways, and will very possibly ensure that content players can do today is rendered imnpossible.

No item squish means you add a few zeroes.
    Item squish means reduction in available content.

The former is not a major problem. The latter is.

However, one thing about the current iLevel bloat is that it will create room for the item squish to take place without much of a negative effect. The trouble is....all its going to do is reduce it for a few years.

EJL

I'm okay with going back down to 1k dps.

I remember being the first person in my guild (at that time) to break the magical barrier of 1k dps back in TBC, and everybody was like in awe of that. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    I'm okay with going back down to 1k dps.
    That's great, but I am not. I don't want to have to look for a group just so I can do molten core rep farm solo. The problem is that the numbers directly influence our performance in relation to old raids and mobs. I really, really, really don't want to have to fight a mob from classic for several "rounds" before it drops dead. I liked being able to one shot them when doing my loremaster.

I'm pretty neutral on the idea of an item number squish. I don't pay a lot of attention to the specific numbers flying across my screen anyway and I'm sure players could adjust to it fairly quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Because the item squish will affect the relative power in different ways, and will very possibly ensure that content players can do today is rendered imnpossible.

No item squish means you add a few zeroes.
    Item squish means reduction in available content.

The former is not a major problem. The latter is.

However, one thing about the current iLevel bloat is that it will create room for the item squish to take place without much of a negative effect. The trouble is....all its going to do is reduce it for a few years.

EJL
    exactly. if there IS a reason that would actually improve the game that im not aware of someone tell me but until someone gives me one the only thing i can think of that will happen is soloing content will get harder and the boxes will look "prettier" i wanna be able to solo cata raids next expansion, if this squish happens id barely be able to solo wrath trash
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Who cares, it's all relative anyway. Anyone clamoring for or against an item squish is just being silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    They should have done the squish long before now.
    Or made the increase in item level both during and between expansions not as severe as they currently are.

Tier 1 (Molten Core) Item level is 66.
    Tier 2 (BWL) Item level is 76
    Tier 3 (Naxxramas) is 88
    20 item levels between tiers.

Tier 4 is 120 (32 item levels above the last expansion)
    Tier 5 is 130
    Tier 6 (hyjal/BT) is 146/154
    Tier 6 (Sunwell) is 150/160
    30 item levels to BT gear/40 item level to sunwell gear

Tier 7 is 200/213/219(KT/Maly)/226(KT/Maly) (40 item levels above the last expansion)
    Tier 8 is 219/226
    Tier 9 232/245/258
    Tier 10 251/258(LK)/264/277/284(LK)
    77 item levels to heroic LK

Tier 11 is 359/372/379(sinestra) (75 item levels above the last expansion)
    Tier 12 is 378/384/397(Ragnaros)
    Tier 13 is 384/397/410/416(DW)
    51 item levels to Heroic DW

Tier 14 is /476/483/496//503(elite)/509/516(heroic elite) (60 item levels above the last expansion)
    Tier 15 is 502/522/528(thunderforged)/535/541(thunderforged elite)
    58 item levels between tiers
    With at least 1 more tier to go.
    I didn't really want to do a lot of math, but lets look at this through a proportional lens:
    Vanilla: 30.3% ilvl increase.
    TBC: 25% ilvl increase
    Wrath: 38% ilvl increase
    Cata: 14% ilvl increase
    MoP: we don't know.

They said they made a mistake with wrath. If they're trying to align with cata's gear increase they're probably outpacing themselves here as well. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferocity View Post
    And there we go again... "Item squish" is one of those things which is not compatible with RPG whatsoever as it just throws any feeling of progress out of the window and it makes a precedent. And once precedent is made you can never believe in any progress in game anymore, why bother if it can be trashed any moment.
    Well put imo. I wouldn't want it (nor would I stop playing), but would be really curious as to how many people would quit over it.

They'll have to do something, things have been getting out of control since Cataclysm.

Here's a little chart I made:

The graph charts the highest item level of each tier of warlock chest (tier 15 uses the heroic thunderforged chest)and the amount of intellect on said chest.

Things were pretty linear and even paced up until Cataclysm came out then the shit hit the fan. Anyone want to take a guess where heroic Siege of Orgrimmar will be on this chart? Or how about the next expansion if they continue this pace.
    Last edited by Greel; 2013-02-06 at 05:12 AM.

I think Wrath had the perfect numbers.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

No doubt in my mind it's coming. The numbers are so horrible now compared to how they were in vanilla/BC... there's no way this game can keep going with such high numbers.

GC said they scaled stats with high ilvls in mind this time around and left themselves plenty of room to grow. This was a couple of weeks ago, tops.

If you're bad at big numbers, find an addon to divide them all by 1000 for you. Stop asking for them to ruin old content, it gets visited seldom enough as it is.