Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dingobongo View Post
    I am sick of hearing about how this is a "nerf" (unless they do not scale all dungeons down correctly, for example, if Molten Core becomes un-soloable then it would be a nerf, but in theory that shouldn't even happen).

Its basically like this: imagine a scenario where people only use cm for measurement, and I am 170cm tall. But then one day they invent the metre. And I become 1.7m tall. The number is smaller, does that mean I shrunk?

Ridiculous.
    For the squish to work they would have to reduce everything by a reasonable amount. How fun would the game feel if when you hit 60 the max damage you are doing is 100? Just look at battle pets. They had 4 expacs to spread out the levels and we end up with lvl 22 pets in outland.

Quote Originally Posted by shimerra View Post
    The counter argument is why should they appease your boner for large numbers if all that really matters is your relative power to the mob itself?
    The squish will make it harder to solo older content. The chart they showed did not begin to squish our ilvl until after level 60. Relative power levels will change.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    That's great, but I am not. I don't want to have to look for a group just so I can do molten core rep farm solo. The problem is that the numbers directly influence our performance in relation to old raids and mobs. I really, really, really don't want to have to fight a mob from classic for several "rounds" before it drops dead. I liked being able to one shot them when doing my loremaster.
    and they can't/won't change there hp/dmg? hell they can even make it easier for us to solo old raids. because blizzard knows we love it. so unless you have a crystal ball you should not predict the futere.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 07:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    The squish will make it harder to solo older content. The chart they showed did not begin to squish our ilvl until after level 60. Relative power levels will change.
    like i said they can't change there hp/dmg? they can even make it easier then it is now. like they did some patches ago to make old raids a bit more solo friendly.

Herald of the Titans
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    So an empty argument about number crunching (as if computers don't use scientific notation for anything) vs. wanting to brow beat players for wanting to have fun and have your character continue to grow in power?
    What is this scientific notation? I asked my computer to tell me if it could do scientific notation. It tried to answer that but it seemed unable to put the answer in one bit and short circuited on its own tears

Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    It won't happen, they scrapped it completely. They added the comma for a reason. Live with it.
    It'll happen. If not next expac, then definitely by the one after that. Guaranteed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    You tried too hard and now your post is shit. Never try too hard, the gamble isn't worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    It'll happen. If not next expac, then definitely by the one after that. Guaranteed.
    Do you have a source on that?
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||HD6970/HD6950 crossfire|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||3x 1tb Western Digital HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

What are next weeks lotto numbers? Since you can see into the future.

It's gonna happen. Big numbers are just annoying and uneeded.

Besides, big numbers are hard to grasp by the little children that are Blizzards target audience.

No it won't. They will adjust all of those things. Just because a rough chart didn't show it doesn't mean they can't do it. Or they could add a buff/debuff. Soloing old content isn't a reason for them not to do it. If they do the ilvl squish, old content will be compensated.
    You tried too hard and now your post is shit. Never try too hard, the gamble isn't worth it.

That guy who made the addon to alter the appearance of his numbers/stats/dps needs to release it if he hasn't already so some of these people so worried about numbers will fade away

Quote Originally Posted by zerocoolhack View Post
    What are next weeks lotto numbers? Since you can see into the future.
    I can't use my powers to enrich myself or others.

Quote Originally Posted by tidus4eva View Post
    soloing old content would be lost (which it likely wouldn't)
    Mathematics would indicate otherwise. Relative power to your own level would stay the same, relative power to other levels would not. In fact, this is the only valid argument that is worth mentioning against the squish, and it's a damn good one. Despite what people think, it will drastically change many aspects of the game, and not just the visual of big numbers).

There is no "it likely wouldn't". It would. Fact. The only way it could NOT is if every single level were lowered by a flat percentage (say, 90%), which is not their plan, because 1) it would not solve the problem, only delay it (simply by deleting a single 0 from all damage), since the exponential growth is still there, and 2) it would make you approximately item level 6 by level 60. You'd be lucky to have +1 stamina on your gear.

That is the ONLY way it could be done without changing the relative power to higher/lower content, and they even stated that's not how it would be.

I don't know why people still believe it would not affect this. It absolutely would, and any understanding of math allows one to see this fact.

The question is this: would you rather not be able to solo old content, or would you rather see mega damage? That's the bottom line. Considering the latter does not affect gameplay in any way shape or form, I'm choosing mega damage. Why change the game?

So if this OMG BIG NUMBER THING is a cosmetic thing since people can't keep up with big numbers, why don't they just change the numbers?

Like every value in the game / 10?

No it won't. They will adjust all of those things. Just because a rough chart didn't show it doesn't mean they can't do it. Or they could add a buff/debuff. Soloing old content isn't a reason for them not to do it. If they do the ilvl squish, old content will be compensated.
    You really believe that? No, they aren't going to make a buff for old content and you have no evidence to support such a claim. I wager it will NOT be compensated, and I think this upsets people enough (they know people enjoy soloing old content) that they will NOT go through with it.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 06:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Korru View Post
    So if this OMG BIG NUMBER THING is a cosmetic thing since people can't keep up with big numbers, why don't they just change the numbers?

Like every value in the game / 10?
    All this would do is cutoff one digit, and not avoid the exponential growth problem. Further, as I mentioned just before you, do you think 6 item levels of progression from 1-60 is really an attractive way to do things? I know it's low levels, but you might as well eliminate loot from dungeons, because the most you'll get is a 20 armor increase every 10 levels.

I'd love to see a number squish. I just hope Blizzard can do it properly...

Firstly, the item lvl number's not very important if you ask me. I don't care if it's 13 ilvls between one tier and the next, or more, or less... but if say one T14 item has 800 Str or something and then a T15 upgrade has 1100, that's a little ridiculous. I have no idea how much 100 Str means anymore. I remember in Wrath thinking that an upgrade with +20 or +30 Str was considered large, but now I'm just like, "+150 Str? I guess.. that's okay or something?"

And gaining +100 crit rating and seeing my crit rate go up by like 0.2% is also disappointing. So in short, I'm concerned that +13 ilvls means a LOOOOT more now than it did earlier, which is why it's growing exponentially (which I consider the problem).

That said, I want the absolute numbers on items (or on your character screen) reduced. I dislike having around 400k HP now and so.... it's weird being hit for 50k and realizing that's not actually that much, even though it would've been 200% of your life back at lv 80.

As mentioned by others, simply dividing all numbers doesn't work for low level characters, and doesn't solve the exponential rate anyway. Personally I think they have to change the formula as to how ilvl directly relates to stats so it's much less exponential.

But how can we lower absolute numbers without dividing everything evenly and impacting our ability to solo old content? I think there have to be changes such that character level (or even ilvl) differences make a huge impact on your damage done and taken. For example (after squishing numbers) if a lv 85 character in Dragon Soul does ~10k dps, and a lv 90 character in Mogu'shan Vaults does ~14k DPS, that same lv 90 character going back to Dragon Soul does 20k or whatever since he outlevels that content (and takes significantly reduced damage; bosses have to be a static level rather than your level +3). Or if he goes back to ICC, he can do >30k DPS there. If he steps into Molten Core maybe he can do like 400k dps, and that wouldn't bother me. I just want more manageable numbers for everyday or relevant purposes.

So in short, I think the two things that need to be done are item stats being less exponential, and there has to be some level difference bonus such that characters can outscale old content greatly, without their actual stats growing that wildly.

Quote Originally Posted by dercaderca View Post
    It's gonna happen. Big numbers are just annoying and uneeded.

Besides, big numbers are hard to grasp by the little children that are Blizzards target audience.
    Lost me at "children", stop flame-baiting.

OT: I dont see why this is such a big problem(spare me the "computers cant handle it" excuse.) If you dont like big numbers here is the addon you're looking for.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||HD6970/HD6950 crossfire|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||3x 1tb Western Digital HDD||

Quote Originally Posted by Seegtease View Post
    You really believe that? No, they aren't going to make a buff for old content and you have no evidence to support such a claim. I wager it will NOT be compensated, and I think this upsets people enough (they know people enjoy soloing old content) that they will NOT go through with it.
    Nah, this is a thing where people want to guarantee that old content won't be compensated in order to validate their opinion of not wanting the ilvl crunch. It'll get thrown around the forums like a football despite blizz coming up with a solution just to keep ilvl's from being squashed. They'll go down the line. I was just thinking of possibilities, but they aren't just going to ignore -60.

Old content won't be anymore difficult if they did this. You're thinking that they can't come up with a solution. When they can. If there are numbers, they can be changed.
    Last edited by Seezer; 2013-02-06 at 06:32 AM.

No it does not. They said they were going to squish mob values also.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedleyazg View Post
    No it does not. They said they were going to squish mob values also.
    Yet that graph they released shows otherwise(yes, example I know but it would likely go down like that). According to it after the squish I'd be much weaker relatively to MC Ragnaros.

Nothing will stop me hitting 1 Million XP so those pesky MC bosses think I'm the raid boss!
    ...Made it through 9 years of wow...