Thread: Coin Locked

Coin Locked

So I got a text from the wife this evening saying she was coin locked. We started Rift about 2 months ago and this is the first she's been coinlocked. Does this sometimes happen for no reason at all or does it really mean someone was trying/getting into her account from a different IP address.

Don't know whether to reformat or just put it down as coincidence. I've never been coinlocked after starting.

Deleted
    When I played rift I was coinlocked every time I logged into the game, but if it happens out of nowhere and didn't before, i think you should just open a ticket to clarify it
    Last edited by mmoc87d3da0f40; 2013-02-06 at 04:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spaztom View Post
    So I got a text from the wife this evening saying she was coin locked. We started Rift about 2 months ago and this is the first she's been coinlocked. Does this sometimes happen for no reason at all or does it really mean someone was trying/getting into her account from a different IP address.

Don't know whether to reformat or just put it down as coincidence. I've never been coinlocked after starting.
    Did she log into the game and then receive this notification? Or was the account not even logged in and she received the coinlock? If the latter, I would recommend that she change the password to her account and/or maybe add in the authenticator for added security. If she was the one logging in then it could just be that your ISP gave you a new IP address.
    Rift Scene - Still the best Rift fansite.
    Cupcakey 5/5 EE, 4/4 FT

Most likely your IP just changed.
    My home connection is satellite so I get coin locked every time I log in.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    My home connection is satellite
    Isn't Satellite latency worse than DSL or Cable?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Yes, atmospheric conditions affect your connection just like satellite TV. It's your absolute last option IMO to connect to the internet. My guess is primal lives in a remote location (Outback? <3) or on the space station and has no other connection options.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    primal lives on the space station
    Could he aim those orbital lazers at 3701 Southwest 12th Street, Topeka, 66604, United States? I'll have further targets later...

Deleted
    To be honest it's nothing to worry about. 9 times out of 10 people are coin locked due to them having a dynamic IP and their router being reset (or other situations), causing the ISP to provide a new IP address. It happens to me every day as my router automatically reboots at 3am.

If it was coin locked due to someone accessing her account from another location, then it's still nothing to worry about. Coin locking prevents any malicious activities such as deleting or selling items.

If you know you're meant to have a static IP, I would recommend changing your password and if possible, attach an authenticator as someone has already suggested. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Yes, atmospheric conditions affect your connection just like satellite TV. It's your absolute last option IMO to connect to the internet.
    Atmospheric conditions? It's the speed of light delay out to geostationary orbit and back (twice) that really causes the problem.

Now, if they'd just put the servers in a geostationary satellite, the latency could be cut in half!
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Atmospheric conditions? It's the speed of light delay out to geostationary orbit and back (twice) that really causes the problem.

Now, if they'd just put the servers in a geostationary satellite, the latency could be cut in half!
    You should consider a more expanded Google search before discrediting what I said as well. Obviously the fact that satellites are in space and the signals have to travel there and back what I said also can impact quality of service.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post

You are correct that the latency is due to the distance involved, and a relatively fixed speed of light (remember that the speed of light does depend on the material that it is traveling through, and the value of 2.998E8 m/sec is in vacuo).

However, there are other things to be conserned with. For example many atmospheric gases, particularly water absorb strongly in the frequences used in satellite communication. The effect of this is that the signal does get attenuated to where it may not be usable.

ref:here, here and here.

Quote Originally Posted by thurizas View Post
    However, there are other things to be conserned with. For example many atmospheric gases, particularly water absorb strongly in the frequences used in satellite communication. The effect of this is that the signal does get attenuated to where it may not be usable.

ref:here, here and here.
    I liked the link that talked about oxygen absorption. Oh boy, that satellite is really useless on high oxygen days! /rollseyes

The major effect is not gases, but particles, particularly precipitation. Most of the time, this is irrelevant though.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

I got a dsl connection with a dynamic ip.I used to get coin locked everyday.Then one day it stopped even though i still have dynamic ip.

Quote Originally Posted by Sefoo View Post
    I got a dsl connection with a dynamic ip.I used to get coin locked everyday.Then one day it stopped even though i still have dynamic ip.
    If I remember correctly, you can turn the feature off. They may have noticed you have a dynamic IP and automatically disabled it, seems like a reasonable explination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Yes, atmospheric conditions affect your connection just like satellite TV. It's your absolute last option IMO to connect to the internet. My guess is primal lives in a remote location (Outback? <3) or on the space station and has no other connection options.
    Last I heard, many many years ago, upload was through your phone line. So you could get ok download but your upload is crap.