10+ Year Old Account

Tailoring question

Is it too late for me to level tailoring? My lock will be 90 this week then plan to level it up but was wondering how often do crafting professions get new gear recipes? Or better yet how long will the current mists cloth gear be irrelevant? That would basically be when i need to have it lvled by right?

With 5.2 coming in the near future there will be new crafted PvP gear to make and sell. All gear crafting professions will be making bank off the new season. Also, with a new tier there should be new patterns to make also. Don't forget about Embersilk bags, they are still the most affordable bag for typical players over the Illusionary and Royal.

there are 2 new tailoring recipes actually in 5.2
    also you can craft 1 leg enchant every day (~400g)

Quote Originally Posted by Elvine View Post
    With 5.2 coming in the near future there will be new crafted PvP gear to make and sell. All gear crafting professions will be making bank off the new season. Also, with a new tier there should be new patterns to make also. Don't forget about Embersilk bags, they are still the most affordable bag for typical players over the Illusionary and Royal.
    You mean Netherweave

It depends on how much gold you're willing to dump into Tailoring to hit the MoP patterns.

I haven't leveled Tailoring from 1-max since Vanilla, but looking back through my list, everything pre-MoP (Which is about until ~500) take a good deal of mats. You're ultimately going to spend more gold then you will ever make with these patterns. However the silver lining is that in MoP, Blizzard changed the crafting professions (Or, at the very least, tailoring) to require actually few materials but make items that will sell pretty well.

As someone mentioned above, the spellthreads are immensely popular (Especially if you aren't interested in crafting the now-incredibly mediocre epic gear or the overpriced bag), sell really well, and are really cheap to make. You'll start stocking up on Imperial Silk once you realize that Spirits of Harmony aren't really that useful for Tailors outside of making Imperial Silk.

Also, if you're a tailor and leveling from 85-90, you'll have far more Windwool Cloth than you know what to do with. And as I alluded to earlier, the 500+ patterns require very little Windwool Cloth to make things (Compare the materials for a Vicious Embersilk Cowl vs a Contender's Silk Cowl).

Although, if you do decide to make the epic PvE stuff, I've also seen them sell well. Although it is more a a time-sensitive thing (I've seen the PvE Robes go from between 3k to 8k depending on how saturated the market is).

To answer your actual questions:

Is it too late for me to level tailoring?
    No, its not too late. You could probably level 500-600 relatively easily just by Windwool dropped from doing dailies.

My lock will be 90 this week then plan to level it up but was wondering how often do crafting professions get new gear recipes?
    They will usually add 2-3 PvE patterns with each raid patch, and a full set of blue PvP gear with each new season.

Or better yet how long will the current mists cloth gear be irrelevant?
    The Epic PvE gear is already fairly irrelevant (Unless you're unlucky with RNG), but the spellthreads for the pants will be needed by basically all Cloth casters the entire expansion.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2013-02-06 at 07:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tailoring can be pretty useful still, provided you are not being boosted through MSV and beyond too fast. You can get Golden Lotus honored for the recipes for the 476 robe + gloves and make the Imperial Silk needed for it easily in 10 days. The Blood Spirit recipes can of course just be bought and used to make even better stuff, if it's worth it to you, or you want the higher ilevel stuff to speed your way to other content. You'll just need to wait for the Imperial Silk then, same 10 days applies.

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    You mean Netherweave
    Nope, I mean Embersilk. Farming in verlok stand will get your tons of greens to DE and cloth for bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Elvine View Post
    Nope, I mean Embersilk. Farming in verlok stand will get your tons of greens to DE and cloth for bags.
    just a question, are you running a channel on twitch? saw your lovely gnome yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by raqi View Post
    just a question, are you running a channel on twitch? saw your lovely gnome yesterday
    Yup, I livestream on twitch on a daily bases usually.