Poll: Would you welcome more character slots?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by manicwrath View Post
    If Blizzard upped the character slots to 15 per realm/ 50 per account, would you approve of this?
    Why on earth wouldn't people approve of this? It is a quality of life feature and hurts no one.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 08:02 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    We were actually PROMISED 50 slots on one server for MoP, but Blizzard later retracted that promised and made it 11 slots to make room for a monk..
    Blizzard has never ever said at any point that they would allow 50 characters on one realm. The only promise they made (and kept I might add) is that players would get an 11th character slot because of the new monk class.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 08:06 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    They said at the last Blizzcon they were thinking of removing the realm limit and allowing players to have all their characters on one realm if they so wished. You can argue that is not a promise, and I am sure you will, however considering how popular this announcement was within the player base they should not have said anything if they were not planning on going through with it.

Blizzard already allow each account to create 50 characters so where would all the extra data come from?

Just because you do not need extra character slots does not mean others share you point of view, personally I would love extra slots so I could make characters on the opposite faction and have them use the heirlooms that have been sitting in my bank for ages.
    All Blizzard has said is it is something they are looking into but in no way shape or form promised ANYTHING at all any point regarding this issue. Seriously aren't there more important issues to bitch and whine about? It is absolutely astounding how so many players in this community will twist and distort and spin doctor anything and everything Blizzard does or says and then wonders why Blizzard is so hesitant to say much of anything at all about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Why on earth wouldn't people approve of this? It is a quality of life feature and hurts no one.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 08:02 AM ----------

Blizzard has never ever said at any point that they would allow 50 characters on one realm. The only promise they made (and kept I might add) is that players would get an 11th character slot because of the new monk class.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 08:06 AM ----------

All Blizzard has said is it is something they are looking into but in no way shape or form promised ANYTHING at all any point regarding this issue. Seriously aren't there more important issues to bitch and whine about? It is absolutely astounding how so many players in this community will twist and distort and spin doctor anything and everything Blizzard does or says and then wonders why Blizzard is so hesitant to say much of anything at all about anything.
    They said "Not sure just yet, might keep the current character cap but let you have them on any realm, so you can have many many charaters on one realm" in a Q&A session at the last Blizzcon when asked: "I have 10 characters, will you add an 11th slot so we can have all 11 classes?"

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...ions-Q-A-Panel

Whilst it is not a solid promise it is reasonable to expect that when a feature that receives universal praise from the player base is not going to be scrapped with out explanation. If they cannot deliver on Blizzcon announcements then they should consider whether making these announcements and disappointing the players is the wisest course of action.

When has Blizzard ever been hesitant to say anything?

We were actually PROMISED 50 slots on one server for MoP, but Blizzard later retracted that promised and made it 11 slots to make room for a monk..
    You sir do not know how to read. They were tossing out suggestions like maybe adding 1 mote slot for the new class or allowing all 50 to be on one server. Blizzard never promises anything ever for this exact reason.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 01:53 PM ----------

They said at the last Blizzcon they were thinking of removing the realm limit and allowing players to have all their characters on one realm if they so wished. You can argue that is not a promise, and I am sure you will, however considering how popular this announcement was within the player base they should not have said anything if they were not planning on going through with it.

Blizzard already allow each account to create 50 characters so where would all the extra data come from?

Just because you do not need extra character slots does not mean others share you point of view, personally I would love extra slots so I could make characters on the opposite faction and have them use the heirlooms that have been sitting in my bank for ages.
    You are pretty clear to point out that it was not a promise. Just because people get excited about something does not make it a promise. Business throw out ideas all the time to see what the reaction is to get a better gauge on weather or not to move forward with an idea. I think they need to revert back to the old PvP rules one faction per server. They can give us all 50 but one faction. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhamer View Post
    You sir do not know how to read. They were tossing out suggestions like maybe adding 1 mote slot for the new class or allowing all 50 to be on one server. Blizzard never promises anything ever for this exact reason.
    There is no need for the insults. They never tossed out any of the suggestions you claim, when they announced the Monk class there was widespread speculation amongst player whether they would allow extra character slots in order to enable players to have one of each class per server. This prompted the following question at Blizzcon "I have 10 characters, will you add an 11th slot so we can have all 11 classes?" to which they answered "Not sure just yet, might keep the current character cap but let you have them on any realm, so you can have many many charaters on one realm." Which was met with universal praise and excitement from the players we then heard nothing more from Blizzard until it was announced that we would only have 11 slots.

You are pretty clear to point out that it was not a promise. Just because people get excited about something does not make it a promise. Business throw out ideas all the time to see what the reaction is to get a better gauge on weather or not to move forward with an idea. I think they need to revert back to the old PvP rules one faction per server. They can give us all 50 but one faction. Just my opinion.
    Businesses do not throw out ideas all the time, especially not at flagship events like Blizzcon. I have witnessed enough Q&A sessions to know to never expect what they say to happen until it is released on the live servers. But there is little point to addressing these points in Q&A sessions if they are not going to happen. If it is just an idea then they should confine such things to the forums or twitter not Blizzcon.
    Last edited by Pann; 2013-02-06 at 02:03 PM.

Whilst it is not a solid promise it is reasonable to expect that when a feature that receives universal praise from the player base is not going to be scrapped with out explanation. If they cannot deliver on Blizzcon announcements then they should consider whether making these announcements and disappointing the players is the wisest course of action.

When has Blizzard ever been hesitant to say anything?

Not really. This is Blizzard. This is how they have worked for ever. If you aor anyone assume that something is set in stone before an official announcement then you are fools for thinking that. Blizzard has a strong track record of only making things official through when they announce that they are official. Yes flight combat and dance studios were on the box for WotLK but they were never announced as actually going to be live in the game. yes they talked about possibly allowing you to roll 50 toons on one server but they never officially announced it.

Not really. This is Blizzard. This is how they have worked for ever. If you aor anyone assume that something is set in stone before an official announcement then you are fools for thinking that. Blizzard has a strong track record of only making things official through when they announce that they are official. Yes flight combat and dance studios were on the box for WotLK but they were never announced as actually going to be live in the game. yes they talked about possibly allowing you to roll 50 toons on one server but they never officially announced it.
    As I said in my previous post I do not believe anything they say at Blizzcon will happen until it appears on the live servers this lack of trust to deliver on what they say is really not a healthy relationship for a business to have with its customers.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't see why anyone would more then 10.
    ON WEDNESDAYS WE WEAR PINK

No way.

There was a blue post, saying that in MoP you could have all 50 toons on one server.
    Later it was changed to "server limit increased to 11" due to technical difficulties..
    Off you go, find that blue post. I'll wait.

And this attitude is one of the many problems with gaming communities, or well, people in general. Imagine if we were all mature enough to discuss potential ideas for the game without getting emotionally invested to the point where we get angry/upset if the idea isn't implemented. Wouldn't that be a far better community to participate in?

Blaming Blizzard for not implementing certain ideas will just lead to them not discussing anything with the community at all. That, to me, is far worse than having open, honest, and interesting discussions about ideas that may ultimately not be implemented.

Actually creating the characters and all the associated data that comes with them. Right now it's just free space which Blizzard can be confident in saying won't get used up anytime soon. Allow all 50 characters to be made on the same realm? You can bet there'll be more than a few altaholics who will do just that.

Not to mention that it'll create further strain on certain servers: right now there's a max of 11 characters per account on a particular server. With a server of 20,000 accounts, that's 220,000 characters max. On a server of 200,000 accounts though? 2,200,000 characters. It'll make the overpopulation of some servers even worse.

I never said I spoke for everyone, or tried to say that other points of view weren't valid. I can of course understand that there are many people who love making more characters and would have a ton of fun levelling 50 characters on a single server; there's some of those in my guild. I can even see the benefits of having 50 characters, all with inscription or alchemy or tailoring or some specific professions for many more cooldowns, thus making much more money (which in turn could be another reason why we don't have this, it could unbalance economies further).

But y'know. It's not all sunshine and roses with no downsides. There's plenty of reasons why we don't have this and why Blizzard is hesitant to give us this freedom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    Not to mention that it'll create further strain on certain servers: right now there's a max of 11 characters per account on a particular server. With a server of 20,000 accounts, that's 220,000 characters max. On a server of 200,000 accounts though? 2,200,000 characters. It'll make the overpopulation of some servers even worse.
    How so? you can only log one character at a time?

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 02:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Desareon View Post
    Variety is the spice of life. I personally would love more than 15

yeah, it would be cool, but it's not really a deal breaker

Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people say stuff like "11 is already a lot of characters on a single realm"

Can you play more than one of them at any given time?

If everyone had 50 total characters spread out over 50 servers, does that really make any difference to the total server space required to house them than if they had all 50 on the same server?

That being said, in no way do I want or need all 50 characters. But I DID have to delete a 3rd 70 Pally at the end of BC to make room for another class in Wrath, and then I had to delete a second 80 Pally at the end of Wrath to make room for the last class I didn't have yet.

Those were kind of bitter pills to swallow all because of a stupid server cap limit.

Hell, they could do something where after your first 11 slots, you have to hit level cap on a certain amount amount of characters to unlock the next slot to avoid people making 50 level 1 alts just to waste space.
    Last edited by Deathgoose; 2013-02-06 at 03:26 PM.

I'd approve, but I don't have any need for it. Not even making use of the ones we currently have.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep. Definitely want more.

Quote Originally Posted by Desareon View Post
    Well, I already have all 11 taken up by characters over level 60-- I have one of each class, and I stick to the same server to use my Heirlooms. Since I've been playing a long time, I've been able to maintain many characters, even without a great deal of time to play per day.

I'd certainly appreciate and use more than 11 slots if they were available, too-- recently, my boyfriend started playing with me, and I don't have any room to create a new character on my server to level with him without deleting one. I'm making due with just rolling on another server and using the cross-server battle.net inviting, but it's not ideal. More character slots per server would be preferable, for me.

Deleted
    as long as I have as many slots as classes I'm fine, don't need more tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be ok with it or without it..., but in general i think that is good, cause it will let many people have all the character they want in the same realm

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love more slots on the server, especially if the next expansion adds new races or classes.

No, we weren't. They mentioned at Blizzcon in 2011 that they were raising the cap. Eliminating the server cap and keeping the account hard cap was the dominate idea of the options they were discussing which implied it was likely, but it was never a guarantee.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Still waiting for Login 2.0 when Blizz can remove realm-character count restrictions entirely.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Oh, I would LOVE it! I have my server capped with all Hordies all 85+, and I want some Alliance! But I'm grown so lazy I can't without 'looms :[ So +11 char slots would be much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Blizzard don't promise things for this particular reason.
    Players tend to think that when something is mentioned, we are getting it without doubt.
    If a feature they mention ends up not being viable or working or whatever, they can say that and not be told they promised to give us that feature.
    Look I agree with you about not promising a feature that they cannot or will not implement and I think that Blizzard and Ghostcrawler deserve credit for the level of communication they engage in with the player base. However Blizzcon is different people pay a lot of money to attend and watch it streamed and they deserve better than a bunch of what ifs and maybes. Can you imagine if Sony, Microsoft or EA held a yearly extravaganza to showcase their forth coming products and when the time came to deliver on those announcements they said that we never promised that we were only thinking about it? Forums would be filled with complaints about they failed to deliver and rightly so yet Blizzard seem to immune from such criticism.

I think that it is reasonable for a player to expect that what is said at Blizzcon is going to happen. At best you could say that Blizzard were naive to answer the question in such a way however considering that people still mention the aborted dance studio you would think that they would known better. If this was just an idea they should have just said something along the of lines this is one of the solutions we are considering and not got the hopes of the player base up with this very specific answer.

Off you go, find that blue post. I'll wait.

And this attitude is one of the many problems with gaming communities, or well, people in general. Imagine if we were all mature enough to discuss potential ideas for the game without getting emotionally invested to the point where we get angry/upset if the idea isn't implemented. Wouldn't that be a far better community to participate in?

Blaming Blizzard for not implementing certain ideas will just lead to them not discussing anything with the community at all. That, to me, is far worse than having open, honest, and interesting discussions about ideas that may ultimately not be implemented.
    Why do you think I am angry or upset? I am not one accusing others of QQing or making sarcastic comments about the maturity of others or Blue posts. There was no discussion on this matter a question about an extra slot was asked, Blizzard said they were thinking of something much better, everyone thought it was a great idea and the next thing we heard was it was not happening.

Actually creating the characters and all the associated data that comes with them. Right now it's just free space which Blizzard can be confident in saying won't get used up anytime soon. Allow all 50 characters to be made on the same realm? You can bet there'll be more than a few altaholics who will do just that.

It is nonsense to suggest that people will create 50 alts just because they are suddenly allowed to have them all on one server. Even if this was the case that people would rush out create multiple alts then it suggests that there is a demand for it and any decent company looks to satisfy its customers needs. I would imagine that the actual database footprint of a character is rather small and the issue of storage space would not be a problem.

There are no servers that have 200 000 accounts I would be surprised if there are more than 10-12k per server with peak times having approximately 30% of those accounts online at once. You can only play one character at a time, unless you pay for more than one account which I believe is Blizzard's answer to having more than 11 slots, therefore it would have no impact on overpopulation

I never said I spoke for everyone, or tried to say that other points of view weren't valid. I can of course understand that there are many people who love making more characters and would have a ton of fun levelling 50 characters on a single server; there's some of those in my guild. I can even see the benefits of having 50 characters, all with inscription or alchemy or tailoring or some specific professions for many more cooldowns, thus making much more money (which in turn could be another reason why we don't have this, it could unbalance economies further).

But y'know. It's not all sunshine and roses with no downsides. There's plenty of reasons why we don't have this and why Blizzard is hesitant to give us this freedom.
    You are ignoring just how time consuming it would be to level 50 characters one after the other to a level where they can craft the items which have a cooldown. On average I would say that it takes roughly 3 to 4 weeks to level a character from 1-90 to level 50 of them you are looking at between 3 and 4 years the content will be obsolete long before the issue of using 50 cooldowns per day rears its head.