Deleted

GW2: Should be getting higher or at least stable FPS?

Hello fellow guild wars 2’ers, i got a problem with my framerate. It is 20 outside and 9 fps in the big city of the scarr. I got everything on low and everything disabled that improves the graphic. But my pc should perform much better? I bought him 2 months ago and its a custom pc for gaming. Drivers are up to date. this is my diag:
    Display Devices
    ———————-
    Card name: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
    Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    Chip type: AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0×6739)
    DAC type: Internal DAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6739&SUBSYS_E174174B&REV_00
    Display Memory: 2804 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 1012 MB
    Shared Memory: 1791 MB
    Current Mode: 1920 × 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: BenQ V2220 (Analog)
    Monitor Model: BenQ V2220
    Drive: C:
    Free Space: 14.9 GB
    Total Space: 109.9 GB
    File System: NTFS
    Model: WDC WD1002FAEX-00Y9A0 ATA Device
    My proccesor:
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Average CPU Mark
    Description: Socket: AM3, Clockspeed: 3.2 GHz, No of Cores: 4, Max TDP: 125 W
    Other names: AMD Phenom™ II X4 955 Processor
    CPU Launched: Q1 2009
    CPUmark/$Price: 27.01 Overall Rank: 276

As last note: My guild wars2.exe only uses 50-60% CPU?
    Last edited by mmocb3b4825c72; 2013-02-06 at 12:34 PM.

Deleted
    If you can overclock your CPU it might help, although 9 FPS is lower than I'd expect for those specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    too many details, for this.
    GW2 is a game that uses more CPU than GPU. It`s not optimized, and I think it will stay like this for a long while since IMO they have mediocre programmers / small team.

10+ Year Old Account
    That doesn't sound right, at launch I could run GW2 at medium/high with my 6870 / 1055 setup non-overclocked with decent frames.
    Even the average laptop should be able to run the game better than every setting at low with 7-20 fps ..
    Try updating the graphics driver? http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...w_vista64.aspx
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    All my drivers are uptodate, but i got 1,4 ghz while it should be 3,2 ghz as my specs of my proccesor give.

Deleted
    That doesn't sound right at all.

GW2's engine is fantastic really. It runs smoother than any other MMO engine out there, especially when comparing with lots of active characters on screen.

It is more CPU-based than FPS engines (like all MMO engines are) but you're way over requirements.

I'm running a 570 SLI and stock i7 with no overclock, and getting 60FPS...

... while FRAPsing at 60FPS...

...in mass world PVP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post

GW2's engine is fantastic really. It runs smoother than any other MMO engine out there, especially when comparing with lots of active characters on screen.

It is more CPU-based than FPS engines (like all MMO engines are) but you're way over requirements.

I'm running a 570 SLI and stock i7 with no overclock, and getting 60FPS...

... while FRAPsing at 60FPS...

...in mass world PVP.

so how i get this to?

Quote Originally Posted by rogerwilko View Post
    too many details, for this.
    GW2 is a game that uses more CPU than GPU. It`s not optimized, and I think it will stay like this for a long while since IMO they have mediocre programmers / small team.
    I agree that it's a CPU reliant game. Though, GPU does play a large role in how smoothly the game will run.

I have a 6800 series (6870 to be exact,) and I have been running the game on Ultra since the final beta phase of testing for the game. There are a few spots where I drop under 30, but rare.

The only time I can recall where I dropped below 10FPS, was during the One-Time-Event with the Karka invasions.

Never OC or use Genie (MSI Board)
    i7-860 (First gen)
    ATI 6870
    8Gb Dual-Channeled RAM
    1920x1080 display

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 09:30 AM ----------

Curious though, some machines run games more smoothly in "Windowed" mode than "Fullscreen", or even "Fullscreen Windowed" mode. Have you tried changing those resolution types to see if that has improved or made the gameplay worse?

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 09:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post

GW2's engine is fantastic really. It runs smoother than any other MMO engine out there
    Aion's CRYEngine says High as well. (See what I did thar'?) . GW2 does run more smoothly, but Aion engine is very smooth and stable as well. Dynamic coding as well without hurting peoples computers over time like some other engines as the game improves.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 09:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by halax View Post
    As last note: My guild wars2.exe only uses 50-60% CPU?
    On a note here, just for comparison sake, my GW2 is using 24-29% CPU
    Last edited by Arkuri; 2013-02-07 at 05:42 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Go to Control panel...click on Hardware and then power options..make sure "performance" is selected and not "balanced". Not saying this will solve your issue, but worth a try. I have a Radeon 6850, I7 2600 CPU and with ultra settings...average 50 - 60 fps.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2013-02-07 at 06:23 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Go to Control panel...click on Hardware and then power options..make sure "performance" is selected and not "balanced". Not saying this will solve your issue, but worth a try. I have a Radeon 6850, I7 2600 CPU and with ultra settings...average 50 - 60 fps.
    Its on Performance, still got horrible FPS on low. Should get 60 + on low with my setup right? Any ideas whats wrong anyone or what can be wrong?

Deleted
    First off,

GW2 is very CPU dependent. And you have a fairly dated CPU. And the fact that it's an AMD isn't helping much either as GW2 seem to perform much better with Intels.

Second,

your GPU model could well be a 6850 which was never really suited for gaming. I'm pretty sure the gaming models didn't start until the 6870. Anything below that was always going to give you lackluster performance.

Third,

Have you tried using the newest AMD Beta drivers? They contain optimizations for Guild Wars 2 that should improve performance. Source: http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...etadriver.aspx

TL;DR: You got played with that PC you bought. I hope you didn't pay more than 350 USD for it because it's not worth a cent more. Any custom built 500 Dollar PC would easily offer you double the performance of what you're getting now.
    Last edited by mmoc433ceb40ad; 2013-02-08 at 03:07 PM.

Deleted
    The problem is with GW2 and ATI gfx cards.
    The game is just not optimized good enough for those, it runs better on "inferior" NVidia gfx.

I know because I play it with a cheapo NVidia GT and get decent fps and no issues,
    my brother plays with a better ATI card and has constant problems with fluctuating fps and the occasional crash to desktop or lock up.

Google it and you'll find alot more testimonials linking bad GW2 performance with ATI cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    I'm pretty sure the gaming models didn't start until the 6870.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drii View Post
    I'd like to say my 2009 model ATI 5770 runs GW2 nearly max settings, exception is FXAA and Shadows. O.o;;

Deleted
    this will help you give atleast plus 10 fps http://www.razerzone.com/gamebooster

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drii View Post
    The game is just not optimized good enough for those, it runs better on "inferior" NVidia gfx.

I know because I play it with a cheapo NVidia GT and get decent fps and no issues,
    my brother plays with a better ATI card and has constant problems with fluctuating fps and the occasional crash to desktop or lock up.

Google it and you'll find alot more testimonials linking bad GW2 performance with ATI cards.

Yet I play GW2 on high settings and the game runs smooth, with consistent 60 fps and I donot remember ever crashing in the game..all this on a Radeon 6850. What is your excuse for that?

---------- Post added 2013-02-11 at 02:23 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Second,

your GPU model could well be a 6850 which was never really suited for gaming. I'm pretty sure the gaming models didn't start until the 6870. Anything below that was always going to give you lackluster performance.

Sorry, but this is total bullcrap. I play GW2, WoW and even SWTOR on the highest settings and they all 3 run very smoothly, look great and all on a Radeon 6850. This card is of course getting old compared to the ones out now, but to say this card ( 6850 ) was never designed to be a good video game card is wrong.