Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    dog lover here, sadly had to give my dog up last year
    best friend i ever had, miss him everyday since we gave him up. at least he went to a good home that kept us updated on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    As long as there is a profit in breeding animals and selling them the breeders won't stop. The best way to stop them is to drive them out of business.
    That'll never happen without serious legislation to support it. There will always be a demand for purebreds or rare breeds, and I think things like dog shows are some of the worst culprits for that. I wouldn't ever support a place that treated their dogs like inanimate objects to be disposed of once their usefulness is over, but I don't think good, responsible breeders are big enough of a problem to boycott everything but an animal shelter when it comes to buying a pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    That'll never happen without serious legislation to support it. There will always be a demand for purebreds or rare breeds, and I think things like dog shows are some of the worst culprits for that. I wouldn't ever support a place that treated their dogs like inanimate objects to be disposed of once their usefulness is over, but I don't think good, responsible breeders are big enough of a problem to boycott everything but an animal shelter when it comes to buying a pet.
    I'd bet alot of those dogs in the dog shows get pampered more than us.

As long as there is a profit in breeding animals and selling them the breeders won't stop. The best way to stop them is to drive them out of business.
    And this just goes to show that you aren't a dog lover. Because if this statement came to pass, then dogs would cease to exist. And a true dog lover would not want that to happen.

Deleted
    thread needs more dog lovers/pics

I like this picure i found a couple years back, i had loads off animal picures on my old computer. A dog will be your friend no mather what.

Last edited by ParanoiD84; 2013-02-06 at 02:54 PM.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Deleted
    http://imgur.com/c4YPv

theres a cool gif of my dog. this was when i was rubbing his belly, his favorite thing ever.

I hate most dogs. They're loud, annoying, stinky, rude, aggressive and nasty animals.

I've met some lovely nice dogs, and they make me want one, but far to many are a pain in the ass, and are really off-putting. I know it is all about the owners, but some people think they have control over their dog, and they really don't!

This is from when they were puppies (8 weeks, IIRC). They're monsters now

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    I hate most dogs. They're loud, annoying, stinky, rude, aggressive and nasty animals.

I've met some lovely nice dogs, and they make me want one, but far to many are a pain in the ass, and are really off-putting. I know it is all about the owners, but some people think they have control over their dog, and they really don't!
    Sounds like New Yorkers... LOL Just kidding!

Dogs are dogs. Personally, I'd rather be a dog than any other animal.

Deleted

i hate iirepsonible owners. around where i live there is a lot of chavy time people that own dogs as a status symbol, the dogs are usually agressive and they have no control over it. anyway, while my uncle was walking his dog once, a small westie, some idiot let their aggressive dog off the leada nd it bit the westie, it was quite nasty and it got infected, the westie had to be put down and it was only 3years old or so. not sure what happened to the other dog.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still remember getting my adorable little pug 8 years ago. He may have been the runt then but he' s abig ol pug now. And cute as can be. We were originally going to look but my parents who were getting him for me decided we could pick that day..I asked who loved to cuddle the most and they pointed out my baby. After paying we drove over to a pet place and got him his bowl collar and all that...The whole time i kept him in my arms except for when two young girls wanted to pet him..He was and is SOOOOO cute.

Ahem anyways. I actually tend to put dogs above humans myself on a chart of things worth saving.

How do you keep your pug from turning into a pug-sickle out there?

Just remember: Post your pet pics in the sticky megathread of pet pics.

We have 7 dogs at the moment. 4 of them rescued (though not exactly from the pound, but we did save their lives), and 3 from a breeder. My parents received the chihuahua from my older sister (who got it from what turned out to be a puppy mill) when the new puppy feeling wore off (made me lose a lot of respect for her). Found the mini schnauzer/chihuahua on the side of the road as a puppy in a mud puddle in early march. I found the border collie/king charles mix in a crate at the doorstep of the vet one night when on a pizza delivery. Got my chow/gsd from my younger sister when she moved away (was gotten from the shelter). Got my lab/golden retriever mix from my younger sister when she moved away (was gotten from the back of a pickup in walmart, as the mother was knocked up by a neighbor's dog apparently). Got my golden retriever from a breeder, and my husky from a breeder.

They're loud, annoying, stinky, rude, aggressive and nasty animals.
    Sounds like you are describing humans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dogs are amazing. You can snuggle with them and there's no awkwardness because they aren't guys, and there's no sexual undertones because they aren't girls. I miss having a dog. I really, really miss having a dog.

10+ Year Old Account
    Y
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    How do you keep your pug from turning into a pug-sickle out there?
    He's an indoor dog of course. He only goes out for bathroom use during winter.

---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 03:34 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    Dogs are amazing. You can snuggle with them and there's no awkwardness because they aren't guys, and there's no sexual undertones because they aren't girls. I miss having a dog. I really, really miss having a dog.
    What about the people who swimg that way?

Sorry up all night couldn't resist.

Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    That's a fair point, but do dogs that have come from caring environments in a breeder setting deserve any less love?[COLOR="red"]
    No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I was just stating a reason for why some people might not agree with buying from breeders. I don't have anything against people who do it, that's their business and not mine. I just won't personally do it.

OT: These are my dogs. Or rather, they were my dogs, but when my father moved there was not adequate space for them, so we had to find a new home for them. I was very distraught for a long time. I still miss them and I wish that there had been another way.

The smaller dog is Bowser, he's an Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix, and he actually really isn't all that small, it's just that the other dog is soooo much bigger than him. The larger one is Batman, he's a German Shepherd/Alaskan Malamute mix. He was one of the largest dogs I've ever seen, but he wouldn't hurt a fly. They were best friends, so I'm really glad that their new owner was willing to take both of them together.

Last edited by Wynnyelle; 2013-02-06 at 04:05 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Aww, those pictures. Reminds me of my black lab being a pup:P

Anyways, I have two dogs. A mix, who was 4 years old when we got him. It's a little, lazy, smart (only when he feels like) and affectionate dog, now close to 11 years old. The other one, a black lab (as mentioned before) was a mere pup when we got her and turns 4 soon. She's really active, annoys my other dog and doesn't want me to leave the house and tries to block the door. I love them both and am always happy to be back home (and have them stalk me for the next hour).

10+ Year Old Account
    Shows that your are not a dog lover.
    What an awfull comment..

I don't know what breeders you know of.. but all of the ones that I've known have cared a lot for their dogs like their own children. They don't just dish the pups out to anyone, it takes a lot of time to decide who they'll be selling the pups to because they want to ensure the home is good and they'll be cared for. Yes they sell them, because they can? Dogs are not cheap to look after. People do it because it's what they love. There may be bad breeders out there but theres assholes in everything.
    "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." - William Shakespeare

~ Sig and Avatar by Shyama <3 ~

Deleted
    I own a police dog named Rex. He's about to turn 3 years old, got his KNPV degree just before he turned two. About 5 months into work he got kicked by a suspect and broke his knee. He's now unfit to be my police dog and i stopped working as a police officer with a dog as i can't find it in myself to train another dog or even have one bought by the department, too much stress when loving your animal. Sadly, he can no longer run next to me on a bicycle like he used to love... we now cycle slowly as he's still in walking pace and he loves it.

Every time i get a dog i get it from a shelter. Saving an old dog from euthanasia is better then supporting breeders that are just out for profit and "discard" their unsold "goods".
    Assuming that all breeders are the scum you describe would be the same as assuming everyone who owns a dog abuses it because there are plenty of people out there who do that. What a lot of people fail to realize is, without responsible breeding programs there would be no purebred dogs. Funny how many "anti-breeder" people have a specific breed they are loyal to yet fail to realize it is the breeder who keeps those lines going. Responsible breeders breed to better their breed, do health testing, put time and effort into working with and socializing their dogs and any offspring, have interviewed and lined up homes for potential pups, and have legal contracts guaranteeing that if for ANY reason their dog's offspring cannot be kept by the buyer, it comes straight back to them. I make it a point to stay in contact with the breeder of any dog I get for the life of the dog, and any good breeder will expect nothing less. And many breeders will do rescue work themselves. I've met several of the rescues that my Norwegian Lundehund's breeder has taken in and kept for life. Stop spreading ignorance.
    Last edited by Bearshield; 2013-02-06 at 08:19 PM.