Page 1 of 7
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1

    Man...I'd forgotten about how difficult it is

    To find a half decent guild on even a high pop server...

    The fact that I can pull 80% of their top 3 dps'ers dps when I'm 10-15 ilevels behind. When they have at least 6 more gem slots & possibly even sha touched weapons.

    Who are still stuck in normal. Like I'm not asking to be carried through heroics & full normals, but I assume most guilds have alt groups that are in heroic progression...

    Honestly...I don't even know if I want to continue playing WoW again. I haven't been in a successful guild that lasts longer than 3-4 months since BC that raids consistently. My wrath guild did fine but they were completely casual, we treated icc 10m like lfr now.


    I don't know if I'm frustrated or disappointed.
    Last edited by Azshira; 2013-02-18 at 09:58 PM.

  2. #2
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    266
    Or bad? If you were as good as you say then why aren't you in a top guild? It doesn't make sense.
    Ex-top WoW PvE player, now playing LoL!

    Stream: www.twitch.tv/stripples

  3. #3
    Scarab Lord Gandrake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    4,052
    it should actually be easy

    most guilds just want people who will show up, listen to instructions and perform well

    Quote Originally Posted by Striipes View Post
    Or bad? If you were as good as you say then why aren't you in a top guild? It doesn't make sense.
    just because a player is in a good guild, doesn't make them good. just because a guild isn't great, doesn't mean all of it's players are terrible.
    Last edited by Gandrake; 2013-02-14 at 04:50 AM.
    be ready to sacrifice who you are now, at any moment, for who you will become

  4. #4
    Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,684
    Quote Originally Posted by Striipes View Post
    Or bad? If you were as good as you say then why aren't you in a top guild? It doesn't make sense.
    Because top guilds are clicky.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

  5. #5
    I'm not "top guild" material, but I'm not terrible either.

    As someone stated, just because I'm in a bad guild doesn't make me a bad player. You've probably been in your fair share of bad guilds, assuming the nature of your tone & sentence I have to assume your a "good" player so you must've been a bad player at one time in a bad guild?

    Anyways.

    I just have to keep searching I guess, its really unfortunate how much effort goes in just to finding a guild who preplans pulls, attempts to maximize their performance & learns quick. Seems like when your stuck on something in these guilds, your stuck on them for weeks or months even.

  6. #6
    Keep looking. Especially with the new patch coming up, people are scrambling to ensure their rosters are full, and at that you can get caught up rather quickly with ilvl when everyone is replacing their stuff, especially when you consider the LFR stuff and the insane amount of 522 stuff you can buy from VP.

    In terms of looking for a guild, just go a little extra. I've had years of experience being an officer, a lot of guilds these days don't have the whole application thing going on like they used to, but show them that you know how to play and that you'll be committed. If you don't have much raiding experience since LFR just show logs/ss of recount at the very least to show you can do well and explain that you've had experience in the past.

    Based on your sig I assume your main might be a monk? If so then do note that 10 man guilds in particular have a tendency to favor ranged over melee, especially if they already have 2 or even 3, I can see why they might be hesitant to add another.

  7. #7
    Bloodsail Admiral Klingers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Parliament of the Daleks
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    most guilds just want people who will show up, listen to instructions and perform well
    That can be like herding cats a lot of the time, sadly.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

  8. #8
    So much ungiven information here.

    Define decent guild.

    Also
    but I assume most guilds have alt groups that are in heroic progression...
    "most guilds" are working on heroic progression with their mains let alone alts. 447 guilds worldwide have currently cleared heroic content.

    Regardless, more often than not the application process is what gets you into a decent guild.

    Your statement:

    The fact that I can pull 80% of their top 3 dps'ers dps when I'm 10-15 ilevels behind. When they have at least 6 more gem slots & possibly even sha touched weapons.

    Who are still stuck in normal.
    Isn't really the attitude you want when applying to a guild.

    Link your logs, explain your class knowledge and answer questions politely.

  9. #9
    Patches make the best time to find new raids. This expansion because of the quick releases, normal guilds are behind the hardcore more than normal. Normal guilds won't be doing full normal clears and heroic bosses till end of the second raid tier or the third this time around. It took longer to gear, the raids were more challenging than DS, LFR wasn't there right away etc. To break in you'll either need to be in one of the top guilds on a server or be happy with a normal guilds slowing moving through normal until the later raid tiers this time around for sure. Its not bad, its just not ideal. You need to find a group that's been consistently raiding before joining their guild. Check their logs and check their websites/achievements for kills. Newer guilds that haven't lived through expansions are more likely to collapse than ones that have been around. You'll find your place.

    The application and search process is as much about you finding the right guild as it is them accepting you into the guild. Back ground checks on both sides. Learn their personalities from the server if ya can.
    Last edited by Zoldor; 2013-02-14 at 05:38 AM.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    Patches make the best time to find new raids. This expansion because of the quick releases, normal guilds are behind the hardcore more than normal. Normal guilds won't be doing full normal clears and heroic bosses till end of the second raid tier or the third this time around. It took longer to gear, the raids were more challenging than DS, LFR wasn't there right away etc. To break in you'll either need to be in one of the top guilds on a server or be happy with a normal guilds slowing moving through normal until the later raid tiers this time around for sure. Its not bad, its just not ideal. You need to find a group that's been consistently raiding before joining their guild. Check their logs and check their websites/achievements for kills. Newer guilds that haven't lived through expansions are more likely to collapse than ones that have been around. You'll find your place.

    The application and search process is as much about you finding the right guild as it is them accepting you into the guild. Back ground checks on both sides. Learn their personalities from the server if ya can.
    This advice is probably something I should've considered before hand. I did look into their history, not much to show for, but I guess they have an excuse for being on a "dead" server. Regardless, not completely my issue.

    @PBitt No, my actual main now is warlock, I play my monk from time to time because I love the street fighter feel of it. I used to main mistweaver but after healing/tanking since early bc its really just gotten boring. Same stuff really, just a new updated version of whack a mole. Needed something to compete with myself & others. Not so much bragging rights, but gives me something micro to do while raiding.

    @HaktoI would link my logs, but they aren't to be found. I'll ask him about it tomorrow. I thought I did today, but now that you bring it up I honestly don't remember if I did or not. Afaik from affliction knowledge, I just recently hit 90. As of when I logged tonight full 470 ilevel gear. Completely enchanted/gemmed except for my belt. I was planning to do LFR tomorrow for HoF & Terrace, if I got a better belt I was going to insert a buckle. Probably going to do the same next week for tues since I probably won't raid tomorrow & they only raid mon/tues/wed. They're sitting "geared" people even though my dps compares. Perhaps I'm just tunneling on certain fights.

    As far as class knowledge, basic affliction priority. 8% magic debuff (aka curse) > agony > unstable affliction > corruption > haunt (when you get a proc, heroism, any kind of sat increase after you refresh dots when appropriate to do so to make them stronger in this form) > malefic grasp filler til 20%. Once 20% or lower soul drain, use sb:ss to refresh dots & haunt kept up 100% unless its a special circumstance.

    For my opener I just sb before pull, prepot 2-3 seconds as they're counting down just in case. Curse, corruption, wait for hero if its being cast within 5 seconds of pulling (aka stone guard), once hero is cast I use soul swap & doomguard. Continue to mg until haunt needs refreshing, mg more, refresh unstable affliction & corruption, haunt, by this time my trinkets & dark soul have worn off as well as my proc trinket, hero should have about 10 seconds roughly. I'll refresh all my dots as close as pandemic allows me to, if I have an extra soul I'll use haunt.

    This opener here will allow me to usually peak at about 90k dps at least, on stone guard specifically 100k+ depending on crits & how much I derp. I continue to follow the priority. At 20% if hero was already used I'll use my second pot, dark soul & trinket. In most cases my other trinket will proc, sometimes it won't. This allows me to keep haunt up 100% & keep my dots as powerful as possible while soul draining for execute.

    I usually end most fights at least 57k, some I've gotten 54k roughly & some 60-63k.

    I know its not perfect, but I feel for 470 its decent enough. Especially since I hadn't actually done a normal difficulty raid since october and it was my first raid as affliction unless you count LFR as a raid.

  11. #11
    Scarab Lord Volitar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Victory Road.
    Posts
    4,930
    I don't know why people have a hard time finding a good guild if you provide logs and you do good dps for your itemlevel and you don't type like a mongoloid most guilds will accept you.

  12. #12
    your best bet tbh given the information you have posted above, is to find a guild close to completing normal modes.

    With your current experience and gear I dont really see a guild progressing through heroics taking you unless they're either desperate or you can demonstrate exceptional class knowledge with logs and during the app process.

    I was not asking you to link logs here btw, I was talking about on any application you do.

    If you are referring to guilds that recruit without an application process, that pretty much pot luck most of the time.

  13. #13
    Moderator MoanaLisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    9,787
    Given that I read a lot of "we've been recruiting with not much luck" it's difficult to understand. Perhaps you're just not connecting with people.
    A bit of civility and respect for others opinions goes a long way toward getting any respect in return. Overly hostile, profane and insulting posts are a sign that people don't really have anything to say. Profanity is best served out in very small doses.

    "Forum drama exists because people enjoy creating it." - ML/2013

  14. #14
    I've never found finding a good guild to be that bad honestly.. you just have to do research on them. if youre looking for a top end guild, most are more than willing to take in a better player to either bench a weaker player or keep up the competition. Its a lot easier earlier in a teir than later (like now), although many guilds will be losing people as they reached their wall and people got frustrated.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    To find a half decent guild on even a high pop server...

    The fact that I can pull 80% of their top 3 dps'ers dps when I'm 10-15 ilevels behind. When they have at least 6 more gem slots & possibly even sha touched weapons.

    Who are still stuck in normal. Like I'm not asking to be carried through heroics & full normals, but I assume most guilds have alt groups that are in heroic progression...

    Honestly...I don't even know if I want to continue playing WoW again. I haven't been in a successful guild that lasts longer than 3-4 months since BC that raids consistently. My wrath guild did fine but they were completely casual, we treated icc 10m like lfr now.


    I don't know if I'm frustrated or disappointed.
    If you are really that good and are pulling an insane amount of dps for your gear, I'm sure some heroic guilds would be interested if you have logs to show them. Gearing up a player you have strong evidence to believe is exceptional is a far smarter move for a guild than taking some guy who has a bit more gear but doesn't look like hes all that great.

  16. #16
    High Overlord
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hamilton, ON (Canada)
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by Eschaton View Post
    Given that I read a lot of "we've been recruiting with not much luck" it's difficult to understand. Perhaps you're just not connecting with people.
    This. I haven't had to apply to a guild since 2005, but as someone who does a lot of recruitment, the only thing I can think of why someone can't find a guild is they have specific times they're looking (can't start until 10 EST, things like that), and then it might be difficult finding a group to raid with if you have a restrictive schedule.

    Outside of that... you're probably just not looking hard enough.

  17. #17
    Dreadlord ItsRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    853
    We get it. You're awesome, the rest of the world isn't.

    Move along.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    but I assume most guilds have alt groups that are in heroic progression...
    Definitely not the case in my experience. One thing you have to remember is that this tier has been shorter than other start-of-expansion tiers (204 days for cata, 153 for WotLK (but no real Heroics to do), 113 days of MoP up to today - 130-ish maybe when its done). From my experience & people I know most middle of the pack guilds are still working on normal HoF/Terrace.

    As far as starting tiers go this one has been up there on the difficulty chart IMO & it has the largest number of bosses, combined with the short duration, the massive loss of players & guild restructures that happened in the tail end of DS & the fact that pre-raid gearing was more difficult / grindy (lots of people I know just don't have time for both dailies and raiding). It really is no surprise that overall progress is lower for middle guilds.

    For example - my guild was 6/7H at the end of Firelands, 8/8H at the end of DS, we're currently 11/16N in MoP making us the #14 on our server / #4 for Horde (granted its a med-pop, low horde server).

    And not to sound snarky, but comparing an aff lock's dps on a multi-target fight isn't really a good comparison unless the top 3 you're talking about are also multi-dotters.
    Last edited by poogle; 2013-02-14 at 10:03 AM.

  19. #19
    in my server getting into a guild with good progress (normal) just requires to be online when the raid is about to start they even give you flask most of the times and food. my server is filled with casuals who only plays when they want and if they dont want to raid they just pretend to be afk for hrs.

  20. #20
    I am Murloc! Ryme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    In a field, somewhere
    Posts
    5,919
    http://www.wowprogress.com/pve/eu/draenor

    Come on over to Draenor, I believe we're the best eu pve server going, nice high standard.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •