Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
9
10
11
12
13
LastLast
  1. #201
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    I'd say the f-22 fills every air-to-air role (as far as the air force is concerned. It's too large for the navy). It's practically invisible, and it's damn near impossible to kill. On top of that, it's got munitions to throw at you for days.
    Too bad the US won't sell it to anyone else.

    The F-35 was supposed to be the fighter that the US and her allies could all buy without the US having to sacrifice performance edge by selling F-22s. Moreover it was supposed to be economical because so many nations would buy in. But the jet was made so complex and there have been so many problems getting it to work that costs have skyrocketed, nullifying one of the main original goals of the program (affordability). Instead if has become a horrifically expensive corporate welfare program.

  2. #202
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Posts
    15,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Vathdar View Post
    So sad people missed the link showing that it can't actualy fly and they just photoshopped it. :<

    I'l post it again anyway, http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...213-2ebwb.html
    Figures. It's similar to that HMAS Torrens thing with Hezbollah.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  3. #203
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    15,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    This is true. The main function of stealth aircraft, however, is taking out SAM sites for the conventional aircraft like the A-10s and B-52s.
    So what do we use to take out SAM sites then? The F/A-18 isn't stealth, and the F-22 is air superiority, right? Seems like that would be a niche the F-35 tries to fill, along with being a carrier-capable stealth fighter.
    Go and tell my baby sister
    Not to do what I have done
    Go and spurn that house down in New Orleans
    They call the Rising Sun

  4. #204
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Posts
    15,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    So what do we use to take out SAM sites then? The F/A-18 isn't stealth, and the F-22 is air superiority, right? Seems like that would be a niche the F-35 tries to fill, along with being a carrier-capable stealth fighter.
    The F-22 is a stealth aircraft.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  5. #205
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    15,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    The F-22 is a stealth aircraft.
    I didn't know the F-22 had ground strike capability though. I thought it was all air superiority.
    Go and tell my baby sister
    Not to do what I have done
    Go and spurn that house down in New Orleans
    They call the Rising Sun

  6. #206
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    That cockpit brings this to mind for some reason:



    Let's compare:

    F-35 cockpit:



    This... thing's cockpit:

    ROFL is that a cassette player in the middle of the instrument panel?

    Sigh.... I don't think I'm supposed to be afraid of 80s technology.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin
    Why? Because fuck you, that's why.

    Every time you have a question that begins with "Why?" that is about what other people prefer to do with their own goddamn time, come back here, and reread the first row of this post. That will ALWAYS be the answer to your question. Have a nice day.

  7. #207
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Posts
    15,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I didn't know the F-22 had ground strike capability though. I thought it was all air superiority.
    Its primary design is geared air-superiority, but it is also a capable ground attack aircraft. For taking out SAM sites, which do not require a lot of ordnance, it works very well.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  8. #208
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    15,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Its primary design is geared air-superiority, but it is also a capable ground attack aircraft. For taking out SAM sites, which do not require a lot of ordnance, it works very well.
    Cool. Then screw the F-35, right?
    Go and tell my baby sister
    Not to do what I have done
    Go and spurn that house down in New Orleans
    They call the Rising Sun

  9. #209
    The Unstoppable Force RICH8472's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK, Nexus
    Posts
    20,170
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    So what do we use to take out SAM sites then? The F/A-18 isn't stealth, and the F-22 is air superiority, right? Seems like that would be a niche the F-35 tries to fill, along with being a carrier-capable stealth fighter.
    For the price of developing the F-35, they could have developed both an air superiority fighter and a ground attack bomber, both using the same stealth technology the F-35 has. Instead we have a fighter that excels at neither of these things, is massively over budget and will cost a lot more to buy than previously expected.

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...ort-edits.html


    References to the fact the F-35 was selected without competition were also deleted, as was mention that the price tag per aircraft could climb to US $138 million, not the US $75 million touted by the government.


    Not only did the development run massively over budget, taking much longer than expected, price of individual planes are expected to cost twice what was originally promised.

  10. #210
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Posts
    15,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Cool. Then screw the F-35, right?
    Pretty much. Overpriced and terrible piece of junk that it is.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 09:35 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    For the price of developing the F-35, they could have developed both an air superiority fighter and a ground attack bomber, both using the same stealth technology the F-35 has. Instead we have a fighter that excels at neither of these things, is massively over budget and will cost a lot more to buy than previously expected.

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/stor...ort-edits.html


    References to the fact the F-35 was selected without competition were also deleted, as was mention that the price tag per aircraft could climb to US $138 million, not the US $75 million touted by the government.


    Not only did the development run massively over budget, taking much longer than expected, price of individual planes are expected to cost twice what was originally promised.
    They already have a fantastic ground attack and anti-armor aircraft though...even if it is a Cold War design. -laughs-
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  11. #211
    Legendary! Reg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Manhattan
    Posts
    6,412
    I always liked the look of the B2. It's fancy. But pretty sure that's just air to ground. I must say, I know pretty much nothing about military aircraft lol

  12. #212
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    I always liked the look of the B2. It's fancy. But pretty sure that's just air to ground. I must say, I know pretty much nothing about military aircraft lol
    i always liked the look of the blackbird. useless for combat, but damn was that thing sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

    Same as the old derp.

  13. #213
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    15,738
    I have a question about the cannon. The M61 Vulcan Cannon says it has a rate of fire of 6,000 rounds per minute, and the F-22 holds 480 rounds of ammo. At that rate of fire, it would only give you 4.8 seconds of firing before you'd go out of ammo. How does that work in a dogfight situation?
    Go and tell my baby sister
    Not to do what I have done
    Go and spurn that house down in New Orleans
    They call the Rising Sun

  14. #214
    Titan Kalyyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indiana, US
    Posts
    11,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I didn't know the F-22 had ground strike capability though. I thought it was all air superiority.
    The F-22 is the best at air superiority. But it's also decent at everything else.

  15. #215
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    15,738
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    I always liked the look of the B2. It's fancy. But pretty sure that's just air to ground. I must say, I know pretty much nothing about military aircraft lol
    Yeah me neither, which is why I'm asking so many questions in this thread.
    Go and tell my baby sister
    Not to do what I have done
    Go and spurn that house down in New Orleans
    They call the Rising Sun

  16. #216
    Scarab Lord xylophone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    ROFL is that a cassette player in the middle of the instrument panel?

    Sigh.... I don't think I'm supposed to be afraid of 80s technology.
    I saw an image somewhere that someone took every visible component in that cockpit and linked to the item on radioshack or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

  17. #217
    Titan Kalyyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Indiana, US
    Posts
    11,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I have a question about the cannon. The M61 Vulcan Cannon says it has a rate of fire of 6,000 rounds per minute, and the F-22 holds 480 rounds of ammo. At that rate of fire, it would only give you 4.8 seconds of firing before you'd go out of ammo. How does that work in a dogfight situation?
    Well dogfighting is really a very rare thing anymore. Basically the way air-to-air combat works now is that you locate an enemy, and then you make a single pass at him. You unload everything on him in that pass. That 4.8 seconds of continuous fire should be 3 seconds more than you actually need. In addition, your vulcan cannon is meant to be a compliment to your missile battery, not a stand-alone weapon. You fire a missile, squeeze the trigger for a fraction of a second on your vulcan, and then repeat as necessary.

  18. #218
    Scarab Lord xylophone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I have a question about the cannon. The M61 Vulcan Cannon says it has a rate of fire of 6,000 rounds per minute, and the F-22 holds 480 rounds of ammo. At that rate of fire, it would only give you 4.8 seconds of firing before you'd go out of ammo. How does that work in a dogfight situation?
    I'm no expert, but I don't believe the cannon on a air-to-air fighter is a primary weapon. Though I do know they only fire very short bursts, the BRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTT on the A-10 I know can only be fired for something like 3 seconds at a time before the barrels begin to melt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

  19. #219
    The Insane Didactic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Blorch - Home of the Slaughtering Rat People
    Posts
    15,629
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    I'm no expert, but I don't believe the cannon on a air-to-air fighter is a primary weapon. Though I do know they only fire very short bursts, the BRRRRRRRRRRTTTTTTTTTT on the A-10 I know can only be fired for something like 3 seconds at a time before the barrels begin to melt.
    More than enough to demolish a few tanks, as we saw in the Gulf War.
    Right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must.
    - Thucydides

    There is a modern myth that people have always tended towards democracy, constitutions, electoral rights; but in truth, love of freedom has never been the predominant note of popular politics. At most times, popular demand has been for a strong government.
    - Eugen Weber

  20. #220
    Scarab Lord xylophone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,343
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    More than enough to demolish a few tanks, as we saw in the Gulf War.
    Oh don't get me wrong, I love me some flying gun.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •