Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
12
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Scarab Lord xylophone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    That cockpit brings this to mind for some reason:

    [img]http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121217083538/simpsons/images/6/60/Very_Tall_Man.jpg[img]

    Let's compare:

    F-35 cockpit:

    [img]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_BtrUCGKwx9k/S0UilRefXaI/AAAAAAAAAjw/1uZVhphfG5Q/s400/cockpit_geometry_complete.jpg[img]

    This... thing's cockpit:

    [img]http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/iranplane-cockpit01-980x724.jpg[img]
    Looks like Lockheed Martin needs to pick up its game...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

  2. #22
    Moderator Kasierith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St Petersburg
    Posts
    11,415
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Just out of curiosity, can fiberglass survive a sonic boom?
    No idea; I would think fiberglass too malleable to be broken by a sonic boom, but I could be wrong.

    Interesting note though: humans have been breaking the sound barrier for thousands of years; even the Romans were doing it!
    “…the whole trouble lies here. In words, words. Each one of us has within him a whole world of things, each man of us his own special world. And how can we ever come to an understanding if I put in the words I utter the sense and value of things as I see them; while you who listen to me must inevitably translate them according to the conception of things each one of you has within himself. We think we understand each other, but we never really do.”
    XKCD is always relevant. Always.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by xylophone View Post
    Looks like Lockheed Martin needs to pick up its game...
    couldn't lockheed martin make planes for iran?

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    No idea; I would think fiberglass too malleable to be broken by a sonic boom, but I could be wrong.

    Interesting note though: humans have been breaking the sound barrier for thousands of years; even the Romans were doing it!
    fiberglass is quite brittle. it is not malleable once it hardens. it has some flex, but not a lot, and once that is exceeded it shatters
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

    Same as the old derp.

  5. #25
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    No idea; I would think fiberglass too malleable to be broken by a sonic boom, but I could be wrong.

    Interesting note though: humans have been breaking the sound barrier for thousands of years; even the Romans were doing it!
    Using whips?
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  6. #26
    Looks like cardboard in the first picture
    Testing: Will probably be toooooo big.

  7. #27


    The second guy from the left looks just as skeptical as we are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj
    your a Gnome, how the heck does it feel to suck that badly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

  8. #28
    Scarab Lord shise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Spaniard in Copenhagen
    Posts
    4,027
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    I'm not an AeroE, but I have common sense; there's no way the propulsion and aeronautics systems necessary for that type of aircraft to fit in something so small.

    Edit:

    Our F35 for comparison:

    You can't compare them, they have nothing in common but the vertical rudder looks.

    The design is more like the Eurofighter Typhoon which is designed in an anti aerodynamic way as it's not designed to ascend using the lift as basically most of the planes are, it pretty much rely on the computers to keep up there. That way you allow the pilot the make radical changes without too much drag effect and so less G force, which is the problem with the F23 which kind of lets pilots without breath when they make some extreme bank angles or simply change their attack angle, something that wouldn't happen with any other variant such as the F16 up to most of the F22 fleet.

    About the Iranian plane itself... do not get fooled, they would never show their new toy like that. It's engineering might be close to the USA ones, but I'd say it's more of a Chinese fighter.

  9. #29
    Scarab Lord xylophone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    4,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    couldn't lockheed martin make planes for iran?
    Pfffft, with how much more compact the Iranians can make theirs, why would they want them to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

  10. #30
    Merely a Setback Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    25,987
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    About the Iranian plane itself... do not get fooled, they would never show their new toy like that. It's engineering might be close to the USA ones, but I'd say it's more of a Chinese fighter.
    What do you think the ordinance capacity for this "Iranian fighter" is? Looks to be about zero to me.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-06 at 12:20 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    couldn't lockheed martin make planes for iran?
    There's a trade embargo if I remember correctly. Apple can't even sell IPads to Iran.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Both of those links don't provide any evidence. They make unsubstantiated statements

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcell View Post

    "You see? I told you "Gullible" was in the dictionary!"

  12. #32
    Epic! Sayl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Scrubbity Burrow
    Posts
    1,638
    I think I found the inspiration for their design.




  13. #33
    I will say that cockpit does look pretty dam small.

  14. #34
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    284
    This was mentioned on the BBC website a few days ago, although they point out western analysts don't necessarily conclude it's genuine either. I'm absolutely no aerospace engineer, but I'm going with not genuine.

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-21310958

  15. #35
    Stealth plane? Clearly they failed, I can totally see it in the picture.

  16. #36
    Pit Lord Urti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Learnin' Braille, Readin' basketballs.
    Posts
    2,324
    Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    The design is more like the Eurofighter Typhoon which is designed in an anti aerodynamic way as it's not designed to ascend using the lift as basically most of the planes are, it pretty much rely on the computers to keep up there. That way you allow the pilot the make radical changes without too much drag effect and so less G force, which is the problem with the F23 which kind of lets pilots without breath when they make some extreme bank angles or simply change their attack angle, something that wouldn't happen with any other variant such as the F16 up to most of the F22 fleet.
    How does any airplane fly without generating lift exactly? Also, I think you might be trying to explain the Typhoon's fly-by-wire system, which prevents the pilot from doing anything too goofy and wrecking the plane. That just limits certain maneuvers though, and has nothing to do with the aerodynamics of the plane itself.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

  17. #37
    If you compare the picture of the plane to the picture of the people with the door in the back, the plane appears to be under 7 feet in height, even on that little platform. I'd say no fuckin way that's a real plane lol
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Pfeff View Post
    If you compare the picture of the plane to the picture of the people with the door in the back, the plane appears to be under 7 feet in height, even on that little platform. I'd say no fuckin way that's a real plane lol
    I'd say the fact that it looks like it is made of poster board would also lend credence to your theory.

  19. #39
    Herald of the Titans RoKPaNda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,713
    I ... okay umm ... Yeah I've got nothing. Experts the world over and skeptical, and while it's possible for someone somewhere to make some nifty advancement and for the experts to be wrong, we're talking about Iran. I mean, they photoshop their rockets to make them look more impressive .. So ... yeah.

  20. #40
    The Lightbringer Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In your dome.
    Posts
    3,564
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Iran recently took the wraps off its Qaher-313 "new super modern fighter plane," seen here nose-on. The quality of the aircraft shown in these pictures is leading some observers to wonder if Iran is playing a joke on the rest of the world. This plane is almost certainly a mock-up, because if it's not—well, look, I can only assume that the country employs at least one aerospace engineer, right? This has to be a joke, right?

    http://arstechnica.com/business/2013...lass-airplane/


    Any aviation experts here with an opinion? It looks way too small to fly, and why is the writing in English? Real thing or just a big bluff?
    I'm going to say its fake, because of the following.

    1. Why do you want to reveal an asset like that if its legit?
    2. Size, the power plant required would be bigger than the plane.
    3. Who is going to be small enough to fly it?

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •