Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Depom View Post
    I share everyone's skepticism, but I have to say that I'm amazed at the number of aerospace engineers who frequent these forums.
    I think it's more a testament to how terrible the "plane" is, that no one is fooled.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    im probably one of the few people old enough to get that reference, lol
    I got it... I laughed.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Okay; people... You're not getting it. It's a stealth plane. It looks like a shabby DIY the size of a pimpernel, but looks are deceiving! It's actually thrice its size, carriers three AtG missiles under each wing, and sports a gatling under its nozzle.

But yeah; Iran's weapon program: You've got the President, who's boastful, proud, and orders the military to build all sorts of 'awesome' crap, and then you've got the rest of the government, which keeps military spending in Iran on an all-time low. Then you've got the military, who just goes 'Okay; make a mock-up, make it cheap, and make it look good enough to fool the President.' And then you've got one very proud person, and one world, including the person's own country, that is laughing behind his back.

It's pretty much the same thing with their nuclear weapons program... It doesn't really exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Okay; people... You're not getting it. It's a stealth plane. It looks like a shabby DIY the size of a pimpernel, but looks are deceiving! It's actually thrice its size, carriers three AtG missiles under each wing, and sports a gatling under its nozzle.

But yeah; Iran's weapon program: You've got the President, who's boastful, proud, and orders the military to build all sorts of 'awesome' crap, and then you've got the rest of the government, which keeps military spending in Iran on an all-time low. Then you've got the military, who just goes 'Okay; make a mock-up, make it cheap, and make it look good enough to fool the President.' And then you've got one very proud person, and one world, including the person's own country, that is laughing behind his back.

It's pretty much the same thing with their nuclear weapons program... It doesn't really exist.
    You mean 'The Emperor has no clothes' ruse, right?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    You mean 'The Emperor has no clothes' ruse, right?
    Well, yes. But in this scenario, the Emperor isn't exactly the Emperor at all... He's head of state, but pretty much only so because other people allow him to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Maybe it's a drone and they want you to think it's driven by a pilot.
    thats pretty big for a drone.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    It's a drone big enough for their own pilots to shoot down maybe. http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2012/11/iran-drone/

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Actually I have studied Aeronautics as an elective filler course. What I can say is yes that size of jet plane could work. You will notice a couple of cheats on the plane designed to make a small plane work.

First it is a Gull wing, ie the main wings point to the ground. Because of the shape it is clear that the plane is designed to create maximum lift at a much slower speed. Meaning it has an underpowered trust ratio.

Second it is a Canard these are the small wings in the front, they provide stability in several situations when a plane may not have antiquate lift. They also prevent stalls.

Third the Air intake is rather small. However if you look closely it has a hidden cover panel on the front which seems to hide the actual air intake.

Also I should point out that Iran has been working on designing it's own fighter planes since the 90's.

Look up Iran Navy Sea Plane, you will notice this jet shares many of the same features.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 02:24 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Just out of curiosity, can fiberglass survive a sonic boom?
    I could make a plane like that fly, but it would have a max speed of 200 mph. the wing design is great for low speed but absolutely horrible for anything over 200 mph.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 02:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shise View Post
    About the Iranian plane itself... do not get fooled, they would never show their new toy like that. It's engineering might be close to the USA ones, but I'd say it's more of a Chinese fighter.
    You're kidding right? Iran has had the habit of designing something that just barley works and than telling everyone that it can now rival the world because they are so advanced.

this is the mainstay of the Iranian Air-force it's a Mig 29. Iran has always bought it's fighter planes, but recently the current President has tried to gain popularity by 'designing' home built weapons like the sea plane and now the 'stealth' plane. I'm sure it can fly, but not well, and it doesn't have the trust capabilities or the fuel cells needed for any actual combat flying, what it does is makes good PR in Iran. And they still buy Chinese Migs.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 02:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sprucelee View Post
    We are dumb, using expensive alloys and engineers all these years, we could have just had Bob down at the local body shop shape us some jets for a 12 pack of Budweiser. Fiberglass is light, that's all that matters, right?
    Sadly he didn't get the Beer as it is illegal in Iran, but the black tar heroin is perfectly legal.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 02:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    Anyone else think Iran is just trolling the world?
    kinda reminds me of a glider plane(not sure of the correct term)
    Actually it has a lot of features found on a Glider, and I'm sure it has a Ramjet for trust. I should point out because of the low capacity air intakes only a Ramjet could produce enough trust to move that plane if it is mostly fiberglass with metal wings as it appears in the pictures. Meaning it makes a lot of noise it can fly but fairly slowly.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 03:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    This is the kind of overly expensive marketing prop I'd expect NAMCO to trot out at E3 to hawk the latest Ace Combat game, except such a prop would probably be more convincing.

Christ where to begin with this.

The nose is so small, it would require a radar the size of a 15 inch CRT monitor to fit.

The air intakes are too small for a vehicle of this size to to lift off.

The wings are a direct rip off of the Boeing Bird of Prey test vehicle. I honestly think they saw the Bird of Prey on the internet and copied it.

Center-stick...lololol. So I assume its using a hydrualic system as opposed to fiber optic cabiling to control its surfaces? How early 4th generation fighter of you.

I love the 1950s style indicators. And is that a Tape deck?

The engine exhaust is going to melt the back of the plane without any kind of nozzle. The US worked on two and three dimensional thrust vectoring nozzles since the 1980s and just got them right int he last two years. Even China is using conventional engine nozzles on their new (actually flying) "stealth" fighters (that probably aren't really stealthy either). This thing isn't going anywhere.

What a joke.

I agree with most of what you say, but if the plane is under 1500 lbs with pilot and fuel and it has a small basic jet engine ie a civilian one. it could fly, not fast but it could get off the ground and make a couple of passes. Which is what they show. However what thy didn't show was take off and landing, both would be scary. for takeoff it might be a tow flight plane since it would need to be fuel light. The lack of trust control is telling, it probably has a starter and a release switch. it burns its fuel in a straight pass and than the pilot glides it down.

@GothicShark:
    Yes, but where is it going to stow any kind of weapon? I mean: 1500 lbs (including pilot and fuel) isn't much (and being towed up in the first place is just disgraceful).
    'It could fly, but not very well' is not enough to call it a fighter craft. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    What they didn't tell you, is that that is the actual size of the aircraft.

Deleted
    It looks like it's made of plastic lol.

Probably fake.

It's just a show piece for propaganda purposes. Nothing to see here...

Deleted
    Same size as a modern drone actually.

It's just a mock up of what they plan to build over the next few years. Maybe by 2018 it could be a reality without further proof they actually have one built that can fly. The bomber they have is real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HESA_Saeqeh

15+ Year Old Account
    i wonder at the people saying this must be fake, look at it

so, you think iran isn´t even capable of building a fake plane? one that couldn´t be easily spotted as fake from a gaming community?

damn if that´s one of the biggest threads or roguecountries in the world, i´m relieved
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    It's just a mock up of what they plan to build over the next few years. Maybe by 2018 it could be a reality without further proof they actually have one built that can fly. The bomber they have is real.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HESA_Saeqeh
    Derived from the American F-5! That was designed in the 1950's for goodness sake, Iran are not trying at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Derived from the American F-5! That was designed in the 1950's for goodness sake, Iran are not trying at all.
    Seems to me they are with the launch of this new aerospace program or troll. I just posted that as a contrast to what they really have and the "next generation fighter" they claim to have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not at all. American Reapers and Avengers are actually bigger than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    didn't want to have to leave Indiana, though (only time in history somebody has said those words)
    till now i never had reason to doubt your mental faculties. but this is a pretty big red flag, lol
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    I certainly hope it's a model, for the pilot's sake. Check out that awesome quality canopy. Yikes.

That thing is way too small and chintzy to be a functional aircraft.
    The ME262 would like to speak with you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjyIo8uRBDI