Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    I can see the pattern:

    TBC = Horde
    WotLK = Alliance
    Cata = Horde
    MoP = Alliance

    Atleast in the next expansion, its the Horde's turn again :P

  2. #22
    I am Murloc! Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,189
    If we're talking quality I'd say the opposite is true. Whining mode, activate!

    The Purge of Dalaran is better presented on the Horde side. Whereas with the Alliance you pretty much show up and are given a few quests to do the usual questing criteria with very little narrative by both the leader Vereesa/Jaina and by the general population who just seem to run around scared. Then with the Horde side you given a far better narrative with Rommath talking you through the events and infiltrating you through Dalaran all while he is talking with and then when you do have to kill things you are met with the SC's oppressive responses to the Sunreavers and the Sunreavers pleas and then thanks as you free them.

    I also don't need to compare the 5.1 scenarios, it's practically common knowledge at this point that the Trial of Patience scenario featured some pretty bad moments for Tyrande where according to Kosak she was supposed to be all angry and is instead portrayed as a clueless idiot.
    The whole Tyrande incident get's more aggravating when by Kosak's own mouth a few months ago he said they had some bad ass things planned for the Night Elves and the Blood Elves. Then there's the other Night Elf idiocy of the dying Sentinel pretty much revealing the location of the bell like some cheap cartoon character.

    The meeting with Cho in Jade Forest is also worse on the Alliance side. Whereas the Horde are given a personal account of Cho's finding's on your race and it's past, all Alliance races are there to paint a picture of the Prince of Stormwind.
    This along with the current 5.1 trend of Alliance = Humans is another thing that isn't mirrored in the Horde questing experience.


    However after all of that I don't think there is any validity in saying that MoP is biased, yet. The things I have pointed are there to show that in the current story of the expansion it is the Horde and not the Alliance that has gotten the better story so far due to the slips in quality that are rather noticeable.
    We will have to see how the rest of the expansion fairs though. However as with any post I make about Alliance lore I'd be lying if I said wasn't pessimistic in regards to it's story after what lore they were given last expansion.
    If this expansion seriously turns into the Alliance being used as a punching bag for the Horde to relieve itself and then discover that it was wrong followed by the Alliance helping Thrall get back on the throne, then can we call it biased.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2013-02-06 at 07:30 PM.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I can see the pattern:

    TBC = Horde
    WotLK = Alliance
    Cata = Horde
    MoP = Alliance

    Atleast in the next expansion, its the Horde's turn again :P
    That is how I see the pattern as well.

  4. #24
    Herald of the Titans FuxieDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    København
    Posts
    2,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Is the obvious Horde favoritism blizzard has shown for years finally starting to die down?
    What Horde favorism?

    Excluding a bit of Thrall-Love in patch v4.2, the entire game have been pretty Alliance favored..

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    What Horde favorism?

    Excluding a bit of Thrall-Love in patch v4.2, the entire game have been pretty Alliance favored..
    We must not be playing the same game.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I can see the pattern:

    TBC = Horde
    WotLK = Alliance
    Cata = Horde
    MoP = Alliance

    Atleast in the next expansion, its the Horde's turn again :P
    What i'd like in a new expansion is for Blizz to share the love a bit between factions, no need for 1:1 victory ratios (maybe a bit less lopsided than in Cata and MoP-so-far though, could cut down on favoritism-debates) but in both Cataclysm and MoP military losses are always due to incompetence or doomsday devices, maybe have battles won or lost due to such silly things as numbers, terrain and strategy instead of "ima toss ma manabomb!" (Or plague or val'kyr-in-a-can or flatpacked creatures from another continent)

  7. #27
    New Kid Zaelsino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    12,839
    I don't think they've ever "favoured" the Horde more so much as they simply enjoy writing it more. They have more room for development, having convinced themselves that the Alliance is in (in Metzen's own words) "lawful good overdrive" and can only ever be the heroes.

    And it shows.

  8. #28
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    17,276
    I dare say though mists that blizzard has been trying to satisfy the alliance from all there whining they did in cata about it being a horde centered expansion, and so they tried there best to make up for it in mists.

    But fact is, the alliance will never have the kind of 'cool' factor the horde does. Even when you yell 'FOR THE HORDE' it sounds so much better then 'FOR THE ALLIANCE', its just how it is. And eventually when blizz realize no amount of effort they put into trying to make the alliance look like the cool guys when faced against the horde, it won't happen. They need to do twice the effort to be half as good.

    And no, this honestly isn't a bias statement, its just how it shows itself in the principle of the thing.

    The horde is red, red is aggressive, it makes you think of things like rage and blood such.
    Alliance is blue, blue makes you think of sea and sky and buttercups and rainbows.
    Horde has aggressive races with savage undertones living in harsh wastelands and in the wilds.
    Alliance live in castles and tree houses.
    The alliance has a cat for its symbol.
    The horde has a wolf.

    Fact is, what makes the horde and all its principles is what makes it cool, and so when blizzard tries to make the alliance popular, they can't, because its a harder job to do and takes far more effort, and thus alliance players will just feel dissatisfied and accuse blizzard of favoring the horde more.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    It seems that all the lore, and quests and gear revolving around Alliance have been much better written, and the gear has been better modeled for Alliance side. The intro to panda land is a much better story line than the intro on horde side imho.

    Is the obvious Horde favoritism blizzard has shown for years finally starting to die down?
    i wish people whould shut up about this. there has NEVER been a favortism. vanilla - alliance alliance alliance, bc - horde horde horde, wrath - alliance alliance alliance, cata - horde horde horde, mists - alliance alliance alliance.

    it works in cycles. this whole BLIZZ LURVES HERD mentality alot of alliance players have is just straight up retarded its almost as if they feel inferior or if they arent the er mah gerd bestest winnar all tiem they flip out. the only thing they do have that is right is the neutral thing, that is a slight problem but i say its more about the horde not having many old school well known heroes to be poster boys because most of them died, outside of the faction leaders how many horde heroes are there besides rexxar pre wow? exactly.

    My main is alliance i have an alt blood elf warlock and ive done nearly every quest ingame i play this game entirely for the story, never once while playing alliance did i feel inferior or felt like the storylines as a whole were lacking. were there a couple points in cata? yes specifically the worgen however as a whole i never felt once that i was on the losing side or that the writing was weaker, in fact alot of the times i enjoyed the alliance storylines more and almost all the "losses" in cataclysm felt more like ties, bitter battles that left huge losses for both sides, neither truly won.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  10. #30
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    17,276
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I can see the pattern:

    TBC = Horde
    WotLK = Alliance
    Cata = Horde
    MoP = Alliance

    Atleast in the next expansion, its the Horde's turn again :P
    You could even say Vanilla = alliance. Why? Because blizzard confessed they made more zones and quests for the alliance then horde had, and they had to balance it out in cata.

  11. #31
    The Lightbringer Zuben's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,230
    I haven't played Alliance in MoP, but I think the Horde experience has been pretty enjoyable so far. I'm just worried about post-SoO: Will Blizzard force on us some 'we're sorry for what we did, Alliance' bullshit, or will we kick them out of Orgrimmar after Garrosh has been dealt with?
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I dare say though mists that blizzard has been trying to satisfy the alliance from all there whining they did in cata about it being a horde centered expansion, and so they tried there best to make up for it in mists.

    But fact is, the alliance will never have the kind of 'cool' factor the horde does. Even when you yell 'FOR THE HORDE' it sounds so much better then 'FOR THE ALLIANCE', its just how it is. And eventually when blizz realize no amount of effort they put into trying to make the alliance look like the cool guys when faced against the horde, it won't happen. They need to do twice the effort to be half as good.

    And no, this honestly isn't a bias statement, its just how it shows itself in the principle of the thing.

    The horde is red, red is aggressive, it makes you think of things like rage and blood such.
    Alliance is blue, blue makes you think of sea and sky and buttercups and rainbows.
    Horde has aggressive races with savage undertones living in harsh wastelands and in the wilds.
    Alliance live in castles and tree houses.
    The alliance has a cat for its symbol.
    The horde has a wolf.

    Fact is, what makes the horde and all its principles is what makes it cool, and so when blizzard tries to make the alliance popular, they can't, because its a harder job to do and takes far more effort, and thus alliance players will just feel dissatisfied and accuse blizzard of favoring the horde more.
    Thats how YOU see the alliance. i see the alliance like blizzard sees the alliance. A Wall, a unified shielding wall, mighty strong and unbreakable. where you see the symbol as a cat, i see it as the falcon and the lion, the lion mighty strong, proud arrogant and prideful but strong, and the falcon cold and unnerving flying high above its enemies and swooping in at the perfect moment to swoop them up and devour them.

    you say how is for the alliance cooler than for the horde? i say FOR BLOOD AND HONOR sounds cooler than blood and thunder.

    you say its harder to make the alliance look cool, i say its much easier.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  13. #33
    I am Murloc! Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    But fact is, the alliance will never have the kind of 'cool' factor the horde does.

    And no, this honestly isn't a bias statement, its just how it shows itself in the principle of the thing.

    The horde is red, red is aggressive, it makes you think of things like rage and blood such.
    Alliance is blue, blue makes you think of sea and sky and buttercups and rainbows.
    Horde has aggressive races with savage undertones living in harsh wastelands and in the wilds.
    Alliance live in castles and tree houses.
    The alliance has a cat for its symbol.
    The horde has a wolf.
    Everything you've listed as supposedly making the Horde better is completely subjective.

    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Fact is, what makes the horde and all its principles is what makes it cool, and so when blizzard tries to make the alliance popular, they can't, because its a harder job to do and takes far more effort, and thus alliance players will just feel dissatisfied and accuse blizzard of favoring the horde more.
    I'd buy that if WC2 didn't exist. Blizzard and Metzen can and have written good Alliance story. The current story is good, the Horde's is just better but not because it is inherently better and is better because of the reasons I listed above. It is all to do with execution.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Pretty much this.

    Considering all the "Green Jesus" stuff we had last expansion and the complaining on forums about it, I think Blizzard may have possibly wanted to show that the Alliance have not been forgotten. Though I find all the quests on Pandaria (not panda land) better written than I would have expected.

    Also, Madgod! The avatar! Too. Much. Cuteness!
    Ugh, don't get me started on the "Green Jesus" bullshit. You can't reason with those people.

    And thank you! I chose it out of seven.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by The Madgod View Post
    Ugh, don't get me started on the "Green Jesus" bullshit. You can't reason with those people.

    And thank you! I chose it out of seven.
    ust wait till me'dan shows up. THEN THE TRUE GREEN JESUS SHALL APPEAR @_@
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  16. #36
    Herald of the Titans RicardoZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    2,676
    Seeing that the climax of the expansion will once again revolve around the Horde's warchief and saving Metzen's beloved faction, I'm going to say no.

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Seeing that the climax of the expansion will once again revolve around the Horde's warchief and saving Metzen's beloved faction, I'm going to say no.
    led by varian wrynn.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  18. #38
    Herald of the Titans RicardoZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    2,676
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    led by varian wrynn.
    So? That doesn't make up for 8 straight years of blatant Horde love in lore. You can knock off a couple in Wrath maybe, but other than that the creative team of this game has been all Horde all the time.

    And it doesn't change the fact that the story is revolving around the Horde, yet again. Sure Wrynn is the one to point the sword and say charge, but it's still a totally Horde driven story, all about the warchief, all about yet another Orc.

  19. #39
    I am Murloc! Scummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    5,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    And it shows.
    Isn't that a problem though?
    Their own preferences should in the end not hinder the quality of one faction. It's not really the context as it were it's just the presentation is better.

    I'd kinda like to add that I'm rather disappointed with the news that the Horde have access to the Alliance scenario in 5.2 because of what that scenario is. The fact the Horde will have access to Trials of the High King is sort of beyond me, it's probably one of the most important Alliance story arcs in MoP, if not the story of MoP for the Alliance.
    Last edited by Scummer; 2013-02-06 at 08:45 PM.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    I dare say though mists that blizzard has been trying to satisfy the alliance from all there whining they did in cata about it being a horde centered expansion, and so they tried there best to make up for it in mists.

    But fact is, the alliance will never have the kind of 'cool' factor the horde does. Even when you yell 'FOR THE HORDE' it sounds so much better then 'FOR THE ALLIANCE', its just how it is. And eventually when blizz realize no amount of effort they put into trying to make the alliance look like the cool guys when faced against the horde, it won't happen. They need to do twice the effort to be half as good.

    And no, this honestly isn't a bias statement, its just how it shows itself in the principle of the thing.

    The horde is red, red is aggressive, it makes you think of things like rage and blood such.
    Alliance is blue, blue makes you think of sea and sky and buttercups and rainbows.
    Horde has aggressive races with savage undertones living in harsh wastelands and in the wilds.
    Alliance live in castles and tree houses.
    The alliance has a cat for its symbol.
    The horde has a wolf.

    Fact is, what makes the horde and all its principles is what makes it cool, and so when blizzard tries to make the alliance popular, they can't, because its a harder job to do and takes far more effort, and thus alliance players will just feel dissatisfied and accuse blizzard of favoring the horde more.
    Thing is, it's subjective. Let's put it this way...

    The Horde is red, like you said it makes you think of things like rage and blood. This reeks of savagery and recklessness.
    The blue and gold of the Alliance make you think of wisdom, power and honour.

    The Horde has agressive barbaric brutes living in huts.
    The Alliance has badass races living in majestic castles and a massive mountain kingdom.

    The Alliance has a lion as its symbol, a majestic creature known as the King of the Jungle.
    The Horde has a wolf. Okay.

    Although I agree, the Horde symbol (this one: http://www.gamerdna.com/public/image...horde_logo.jpg) is cooler than the Alliance symbol. But there's no way the Horde leaders can be as cool as people like Genn Greymane and Varian Wrynn in my eyes.
    | Signature by Khallie |

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •