Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Regardless of which blizz favours, your never see me going ally!

Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    So why did everyone complain about Thrall's story in Cataclysm as Horde lore when he wasn't part of the Horde anymore?
    Because there is a very distict difference a character who wasn't ever in the Alliance during the time frame of WoW, who will not be returning to the Alliance, who treats both factions equally well, whose every action is nuetral and the character who was the main leader of a faction, who was going to return to their faction once the expansion was over, who openly talks about wanting to destroy a faction, who only was "neutral" to make both factions see how super awesome and badass he was.

Comparing Tirion and Thrall is rediculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    ust wait till me'dan shows up. THEN THE TRUE GREEN JESUS SHALL APPEAR @_@
    Ewwwww..... i hope he dies..., please KILL HIM! or let him be controlled by sargeras... and then.... KILL HIM!

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 08:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    Because there is a very distict difference a character who wasn't ever in the Alliance during the time frame of WoW, who will not be returning to the Alliance, who treats both factions equally well, whose every action is nuetral and the character who was the main leader of a faction, who was going to return to their faction once the expansion was over, who openly talks about wanting to destroy a faction, who only was "neutral" to make both factions see how super awesome and badass he was.

Comparing Tirion and Thrall is rediculous.
    even so... Tirion did not have as much "time in the spotlight" as Thrall had, also Thrall was more "Horde" than neutral, Tirion was neutral for a long time...
    Last edited by Maxilian; 2013-02-07 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxilian View Post
    Ewwwww..... i hope he dies..., please KILL HIM! or let him be controlled by sargeras... and then.... KILL HIM!
    You know what happens after 3 days, when you Kill Thrall, right? Millennia of Thrallism.

So I ask again, other than being Alliance in the past what makes Tirion Alliance lore?

I think the horde was only powerful and righteous at the end of Warcraft 3, in the sense that in time they could become a grand nation like the alliance, instead of an immature collaboration between oppressed and/or savage races that were rather weak on their own. Everything that goes in the horde's "favor" from this point on is basically Sylvanas or Garrosh doing unspeakable things. Thrall doesn't really speak for the horde after he put Garrosh in charge, so I don't see why the "green Jesus" lore benefits the horde any more than the alliance. Tirion Fordring practically killed the lich king himself, but his actions aren't considered to be only in the alliance's favor.

I know the alliance has destroyed Theramore and turned Jaina evil, but the equal reaction wouldn't be invading Orgrimmar. That's just too insulting for the horde.
    "Not only are we evil cowards, we are also incapable of solving our problems". It's bad enough that Wrynn could roam inside Undercity after the Wrathgate incident.

Let thrall help the other horde race leaders solve the Garrosh issue themselves, and if the alliance has to get some revenge because of Theramore, let them crush the forsaken in the plaguelands or silverpine forest.
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizz favors the Burning Legion, you'll see
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

So I ask again, other than being Alliance in the past what makes Tirion Alliance lore?
    His aesthetics. Aging human knight with "light" themes that kills humanities fallen prince is far more relevant to the Alliance than the Horde because they ripped Ner'zhul out of the picture and never even addressed that the Lich King USED to be ner'zhul :\

Being neutral does not automatically that the lore is equally relevant to both sides. That's like saying Malfurion is the same to Orc players as he is to Night elf ones.
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    They always have. Just compare stormwind and ironforge to any other city in the entire game.

Who cherry picked arguments to make blizzard seem pro Horde? I'm just confused because you quoted my rebuttal to someone who was making the claim that Wrath was completely about the Alliance. Nowhere did I say they were pro Horde. :-P
    I see that now, but you're making exactly the same type of arguments someone would make if they were trying to say it was Horde favored. I think Blizzard's job is to give us content, not give us check marks for our faction's epeen list. Tirion is content. Possibly neutral, possibly Alliance, but you can't cross him off because he doesn't completely satisfy your qualifications.

Anywho, we both agree that there is sufficient content.
    Your comments are duly noted and ignored.
    I punch a hobo every time someone says 'it's not a rotation it's a priority list lol'.

Metzen plays favorites.

And the lead story designer playing favorites is obviously going to make one wreck of a story.

And so we have the absolutely terrible story telling in WoW that shits all over Warcraft III lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    His aesthetics. Aging human knight with "light" themes that kills humanities fallen prince is far more relevant to the Alliance than the Horde because they ripped Ner'zhul out of the picture and never even addressed that the Lich King USED to be ner'zhul :\

Being neutral does not automatically that the lore is equally relevant to both sides. That's like saying Malfurion is the same to Orc players as he is to Night elf ones.
    Being human makes it Alliance lore? So the Blood sail are Alliance lore? Booty Bay and the other neutral goblin towns are now Horde lore? You can't just take race and equate that to whose lore something centers on.

You are right, neutrality does not automatically make lore relevant to both sides. You actually have to look at the lore itself to determine that.

As far as Malfurion goes, that was badly handled. There was no reason not to give the Horde a different druid NPC to work with during Firelands. That being said Thrall was handled even worse. Malfurion was involved in one content patch, Thrall was in every major moment of the expansion. Malfurion didn't express any hate for the Horde players (that I can remember), Thrall was still very much rawr Horde rocks the Alliance needs to die.

Quote Originally Posted by Screwtape View Post
    I see that now, but you're making exactly the same type of arguments someone would make if they were trying to say it was Horde favored. I think Blizzard's job is to give us content, not give us check marks for our faction's epeen list. Tirion is content. Possibly neutral, possibly Alliance, but you can't cross him off because he doesn't completely satisfy your qualifications.

Anywho, we both agree that there is sufficient content.
    I think you were waaaay reading into my comment to see what you wanted. I'm just making the case that Wrath, if the expansion did favor Alliance, is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. if anything I was anti-cherry picking the ZOMG IT WAS ALL ABOUT ALLIANCE arguments. :-)

But yes, I agree their is sufficient content for both factions, at least in Wrath.

Obviously Blizzard favors whatever faction, race, class you are not playing. That's how this works.

Being human makes it Alliance lore? So the Blood sail are Alliance lore? Booty Bay and the other neutral goblin towns are now Horde lore? You can't just take race and equate that to whose lore something centers on.

You are right, neutrality does not automatically make lore relevant to both sides. You actually have to look at the lore itself to determine that.

As far as Malfurion goes, that was badly handled. There was no reason not to give the Horde a different druid NPC to work with during Firelands. That being said Thrall was handled even worse. Malfurion was involved in one content patch, Thrall was in every major moment of the expansion. Malfurion didn't express any hate for the Horde players (that I can remember), Thrall was still very much rawr Horde rocks the Alliance needs to die.

You're trying to make this binary when it's a sliding scale (Consequentially yeah the bloodsail would probably be alliance lore if their old rpg stuff were canon, given that they're run by a human noble that was actually pretty racist, and he let an alliance town fall to the scourge as he went rogue). Goblins not so much

And I -am- looking at the Lore, Tirion having a few nice words to the Horde doesn't make him the same to them. He was the leader of an alliance settlement prior to WC3 and one of the original paladins. One of his lines in his book is that he will be LOYAL TO THE ALLIANCE UNTIL HIS DYING DAY.
    Twas brillig

Just a bit of thoughts on my end I suppose. Not really a which side is favored, but kinda how my experience feels about the expansion and ideas.

Basically, it felt to me since...Wrath I believe, that the Alliance and Horde began to really flesh out their particular sides in styles. With Varians return and the rise to power of Garrosh.

During Wrath, the Alliance and Horde were still for the most part on an uneasy truce, the sides were not at a full out war, and were for the most part cooperating on each others side.

It wasn't until Wrathgate with the apparent deaths of Saurfangs son and Bolvar. Both sides lost somebody fairly big to their faction, a close friend or a child of a high ranking officer, and then of course, the combined assault on the Undercity, where both sides came to forms of blows, and, the Forsaken were seen as mistrusted. The Alliance assumed the Forsaken were under some orders of the Horde, and thus both sides began to splinter from their established semi-alliance.

It is brought to a head in Icecrown and as the expansion progressed, with fighting between the Horde and Alliance were shown in the ambush event, Conquest Hold was a good example as well. (Both sides were fighting for the past two expansions, yes, but at least from a storyline perspective I felt that this was the point that it was really well reflected in the storyline).

Now, fast forward to Cataclysm. Garrosh, who during Wrath was shown to be a very aggressive enemy of the Alliance, and Varian, who, slowly began to mellow out through Wrath, (not excessively though.). But During Cataclysm, the Horde, or rather, the struggle of the leadership was shown much more than the Alliance, which, while the Alliance had issues, in storylines, the leadership wasn't shown excessively. During the quest chains of almost every race, except the orcs really, Garrosh was shown to be a strong leader, but at the expense of alienating many of the other Horde leaders, while the Horde pushed forward and conquered new territory, there was a -lot- of tension between leaders. Sylvanas was basically doing her own thing and essentially ignoring Garrosh (Recall, Watch your clever mouth bitch.) Vol'Jin essentially was only serving the Warchief due to respect to Thrall. The Tauren were...well, Garrosh, even as an accident, killed the leader of their clans. (Also, that reminds me, what ever happened to the Magatha Grimtotem storyline...) The Blood Elves and Goblins, one was new, one was not really updated.

Now, in MoP, both the Alliance and Horde combat has gone to a head, with the destruction of Theramore, Jaina, probably the main person keeping Varian from doing anything -too- drastic, was nearly pushed to wipe Orgrimmar off the map. Really, with 5.1 and soon to be 5.2, Mainly Jade Forest, Karasang, Kun-Lai to an extent, and The Landfall storyline. It was kinda shown of how the last expansions, or at least, how the Horde have been affected by Garrosh. More resent horde side has been built up against him, barring orcs as said. I mean, read the book in the room of your faction boss in the dailies, both have a little bit of interesting lore about it (Same with the ones where you fight the miniboss the first part of the invasion chain before leaving your first town in Jade Forest, both sides have a fair amount of interesting lore and it sorta shows how the sides show the current mindset of both sides) The Alliance has been much more on the thought of, working together and are trusting each other, and the hordes general core of "An alliance of convenience" is really showing as Garrosh is -really- kinda tearing at their fabric.

But anyway: TL;DR: Since Wrath really, Horde have been having a fair amount of animosity and distrust between their ranks. Alliance have been holding more steadfast as allies and are basically holding themselves together much easier, which at the moment is giving them the advantage, once Garrosh goes down, probably things will get more in the Hordes favor. Really though, I think the Horde story is a bit more interesting, even if they aren't winning at the moment really.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    You're trying to make this binary when it's a sliding scale (Consequentially yeah the bloodsail would probably be alliance lore if their old rpg stuff were canon, given that they're run by a human noble that was actually pretty racist, and he let an alliance town fall to the scourge as he went rogue). Goblins not so much

And I -am- looking at the Lore, Tirion having a few nice words to the Horde doesn't make him the same to them. He was the leader of an alliance settlement prior to WC3 and one of the original paladins. One of his lines in his book is that he will be LOYAL TO THE ALLIANCE UNTIL HIS DYING DAY.
    The old RPG stuff being cannon wouldn't be enough. There would have to be a store line in the game showing the relationship/conflict between the alliance and the pirates. When talking about the lore and stories in an individual expansion out side sources don't matter. A player of one faction shouldn't need to spend money past the subscription in order to see their factions story advance.

Once again you are going back to the whole "He use to be Alliance so he is still Alliance" argument. His story is no longer part of the Alliance story, it is his own. The book you are referencing takes place before World of Warcraft and doesn't change the fact that in the game he is 100% neutral, supporting neither faction over the other.

I would argue that people saying things like "Tirion was part of the Alliance so its Alliance lore" are the ones viewing this as in binary rather than a sliding scale. *shrug*

The old RPG stuff being cannon wouldn't be enough. There would have to be a store line in the game showing the relationship/conflict between the alliance and the pirates. When talking about the lore and stories in an individual expansion out side sources don't matter. A player of one faction shouldn't need to spend money past the subscription in order to see their factions story advance.

Once again you are going back to the whole "He use to be Alliance so he is still Alliance" argument. His story is no longer part of the Alliance story, it is his own. The book you are referencing takes place before World of Warcraft and doesn't change the fact that in the game he is 100% neutral, supporting neither faction over the other.

I would argue that people saying things like "Tirion was part of the Alliance so its Alliance lore" are the ones viewing this as in binary rather than a sliding scale. *shrug*
    Tirion was part of the Alliance, is a human, is a paladin, leads an organization descended from survivors of Lordaeron an alliance kingdom and has statues of elves and dwarves everywhere at his bloody tournament means he is MORE RELEVANT to the Alliance than to the Horde.

That's not to say he has NO tie to the Horde, just that... a human or dwarf player is going to feel much more 'at home' in argent content or anything around Tirion than a Horde player or even a nelf player.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 01:05 PM ----------

Plus there's the whole "Tirion was in the ALliance howling fjord starting quests" thing
    Twas brillig

I love conversations about favoritism of factions. Heres how to tell if there is a biased favoritism toward a faction.

Do you play this Faction?
    Yes - No favoritism exists
    No - All signs point to 'Most likely', go to next Question;

Did something happen in lore to your faction that you personally didn't like?
    Yes - Definite Bias! Scream and yell on the forums in hopes of causing an uprising to get Ghostcrawler fired.
    No - No Bias exists.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know about favoritism...

Let's do a few comparisons real quick, since Cata.

Auction house available... Orgrimmar 5 - Stormwind 2
    Portals to Cata zones... Orgrimmar up on the cliff pretty much bedded into the city, easy and fast to reach from either valley. Stormwind, far from the center, quite a way to get there...

Portal to Jade Forest... Orgrimmar - right next to the AH in Valley of Honor.... Stormwind, by the other portals, far from the center.
    Shrine in the Valley...... Horde side 2 Innkeepers, one right next to the portals to all cities.. Alliance, 1 innkeeper, on the opposite side of the portals main floor.

Starter zone Jade Forest:
    Horde side, after some initial quests the zone becomes more and more safe, and the hozen will be exalted. Easy to farm herbs and ore for starters..
    Alliance side, Hozen flooding the zone no matter what, farming herbs and ore rather difficult for starters ..

There is an imbalance on convenience and ease of play in favor of horde.
    The story lines themselves are balanced. Sometimes the horde side ones are nicer, sometimes the alliance side.
    But all in all, aside from the convenience things, I don't really expect Blizzard to balance the content 1:1.. That's really not important at all.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I love conversations about favoritism of factions. Heres how to tell if there is a biased favoritism toward a faction.

Do you play this Faction?
    Yes - No favoritism exists
    No - All signs point to 'Most likely', go to next Question;

Did something happen in lore to your faction that you personally didn't like?
    Yes - Definite Bias! Scream and yell on the forums in hopes of causing an uprising to get Ghostcrawler fired.
    No - No Bias exists.
    I play Horde and even I say Cata was tremendously Horde favored, thing is, like the alliance bias in vanilla, or wotlk, it wasn't intentional. There are just themes that are more prominent in one expansion or the other, or writing that comes out more popular to one part of the playerbase, and heck, just places where they have more time to polish than others.

EDIT:

Well PLAYED Horde, I quit.
    Twas brillig