Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'm always a fan of being prepared for disaster.

Not trying to give anyone ideas, but these very realistic mock drills would be a very good cover for an actual shooter to carry out their plans.
    They're using this event to develop a training video to distribute among law enforcement and the school administration/ faculty. A mass cass event like this isn't cheap, so I'm betting this was a one time deal.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

They said it took place on a Sunday so..

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    I would like to think he ment legal carry, but I'm not going to get into a gun argument with you, especially when I'm not that familiar with California law.
    Oh why not, im not familiar with California laws either

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    Which gives the shooter a nice, solitary target to shoot at from any window in your line of sight. Huddle up behind others, I say :P
    True but i hate the feeling of being a sitting duck. It's kinda hard to shoot at a running target from a far so i have a chance!
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

So how many have died to school shootings in the US the last decade?

Then how many die from falling out of their beds?

How many die to lightning strikes?

How many have died from... having vending machines land on them?

This is absurd. All it does is waste time and money, and terrorize the public by putting constant attention on these events, which are so incredibly unlikely to happen that you're more at risk from having yourself, or somebody you know, killed by lightning, the very definition of an event that is so unlikely to happen that you should not worry about it happening.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    if they tried to do this here in texas, there's a good chance someone would actually get shot by a person defending themselves (if they didnt know it was a drill)

Deleted
    well i suppose it is mandatory for the children to survive,since you(not the op) support every lunatics right to be armed...

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Oh why not, im not familiar with California laws either
    1) This isn't the thread for it
    2) I'm going to end up preaching to the choir

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post

This is absurd. All it does is waste time and money, and terrorize the public by putting constant attention on these events, which are so incredibly unlikely to happen that you're more at risk from having yourself, or somebody you know, killed by lightning, the very definition of an event that is so unlikely to happen that you should not worry about it happening.
    Yes, preparing never brings anything good about.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post

how is it any different than earthquake or tornado drills?

This sounds a bit over the top even for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    I would like to think he ment legal carry, but I'm not going to get into a gun argument with you, especially when I'm not that familiar with California law.
    The ban on concealed carry at K-12 schools is a federal law, the so-called "Gun-Free School Zones Act of 1990." College campuses are another story and largely up to each state, and sometimes each individual campus.
    Last edited by Swazi Spring; 2013-02-07 at 12:54 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That shit is bonkers. I guess at least they are trying something other than handing guns out, though.

Did you really need to add the "[US]" part to the title?
    Last edited by Roose; 2013-02-07 at 01:13 AM.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    how is it any different than earthquake or tornado drills?
    One is man made.

If we need to teach children in school how to prepare for a massacre we have seriously lost something.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    One is man made.

If we need to teach children in school how to prepare for a massacre we have seriously lost something.
    Wasnt FEMA in New York the week of 9/11? And they had been routinely preparing since the first attack on the WTC. Didn't it help them there?

Deleted

About 500 (lightning), 450 (beds) and 125 (school shootings), vending machines are actually way lower. Considering that these statistics take into account all age groups there is most likely more danger of a teenager dying in a school shooting than falling out of bed and possibly even lightning. Yes, school shootings are rare but not so few that they should be disregarded entirely, it's also quite obvious that it affects people a lot more if it's another human killing them than a phenomenon over which we have little or no control (e.g. lightning). Fear isn't very rational, people are terrified about flight accidents yet drive their car to work every day (possibly well above the speedlimit).