Deleted

What's with all the MMOs?

Lately I see this trend, everyone and their mother is making an MMO. Now, I like RPG games, and most MMOs are some simplified version of that. It's good to have competition on the market and such... but seriously, I keep hearing of MMO over MMO nowadays. Some companies haven't even ever made a game and make a MMO, there's like so many faceless MMOs appearing nowadays...

So here's the deal, I came to ask, is it just me feeling that there's a bit too many MMOs or are they truly a bit too much? I mean, there is a limit when there's an overload of MMOs, isn't there? Plus, unlike regular games which you finish a few times then are done, for MMOs they get added content, so if you like one it's hard to "quit it" if you want to continue playing... yet there's others coming.

No idea... Can only guess it makes a quick short lived source for fast money.

Because WoW was successfull, so every single fucking developer things it must be very easy to be just as successfull.

MMO is a very, very difficult genre to make a good game in. But most of the time it's just like "Hey, our game 'Ninja Goat Chainsaw" was a incredible success! What now?" "I know! Let's scrap some more complex elements from our game and make it a mmo! 'Ninja Goat Chainsaw Online' is as good as made!"

I only hope that ain't the fate of The Elder Scrolls. Although we've received about a ton of warning signs.

It's the entertainment industry in general. Remeber when Backstreet Boys became a success? guess what happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard McCoy View Post
    It's the entertainment industry in general. Remeber when Backstreet Boys became a success? guess what happened?
    NSync came out? Or did Boys II Men come out before them?

There were a few around in the West, then WoW hit.

After WoW, everyone else in the West wanted a pie so they jumped on the bandwagon. Eastern MMO's started to come over to the West in greater numbers as well, as the East has far more MMO's than the West has ever seen.

Basically, MMO's stand to make a ton of money, even without anything near WoW's numbers. The revenue potential is nuts for them, and far outpaces traditional games as it's long-term revenue and cheaper to maintain than constantly creating new games (though more expensive to initially produce).

Honestly, I think we're nearing the "bubble" for MMO's and the market is about at saturation point. You already see a number of Easter MMO's that traditionally stuck around in their little niche corner for a while closing down because there's too much competition for them to be even remotely competitive any longer. We're also seeing games that were a bit too ambitious being forced to reign in their expectations (SWTOR, Tera, TSW as of late. The F2P/B2P transitions aren't bad, but they were far to ambitious with their goals). But that doesn't mean that other companies aren't going to try for a piece of that pie (WildStar, B&S, ArcheAge, ESO ect.).

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There really aren't that many Western MMOs compared to the East where they have been popular for some time. Additionally, MMO's are trending towards F2P. It started with sub games going F2P quickly, now it has progressed to launching as F2P.

You know why they are being developed? Because people are playing them.

When I only played WoW, I had a similar view that you did. I also can't imagine paying a subscription for more than one game anymore. Even just one subscription is pushing it in terms of commitment to the game. Yet every MMO that goes F2P I will certainly play for some time and will probably give them some money.

I can't explain why I am drawn to it, but clearly millions of other people have similar feelings or habits. It would be one thing if no one wanted MMOs, but evidence points to us wanting more and more and more. It's like asking why there are one thousands animes for us to watch, or why we have had so many sitcoms through eastern TV history. We like the stories and the worlds that we can experience through whatever medium.

Another point is that the integration of technology and interaction with other people via the internet has kinda melded with our love of playing video games to where MMOs were a natural progression for games to go. Just being able to play any game over the internet with your friends has been something evolving since dial up. I remember playing original doom with a buddy way back in the day.

Blame technology, it's the real reason lol.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 02:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard McCoy View Post
    NKotB existed before that time. And honestly, 'bad' entertainment has been around for quite a while. It's not really relevant
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    I can't remember. They flooded music though. Backstreet boys, nsync, 98 degrees, take that and new kids. Forgot about new kids. New Kids came first I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    LOL it was the New Kids on the Block first I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    So here's the deal, I came to ask, is it just me feeling that there's a bit too many MMOs or are they truly a bit too much? I mean, there is a limit when there's an overload of MMOs, isn't there?
    No more a limit to MMOs than there is for MOBAs, RTS, FPS, Racing, Space Sim, Platformers, etc.

Plus, unlike regular games which you finish a few times then are done, for MMOs they get added content, so if you like one it's hard to "quit it" if you want to continue playing... yet there's others coming.
    Probably only true for those with very slim free time on their hands.

I have no problem playing multiple MMOs at once and quit/rejoin MMOs that interest me several times over a product's lifespan.

It's not just a recent trend. This list really only includes major Western MMOs, but there have been numerous smaller MMOs launched in the East as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    It's not just a recent trend. This list really only includes major Western MMOs, but there have been numerous smaller MMOs launched in the East as well.
    Eastern MMO's isn't a new thing... It's just MMOs are a growing market in the west as they're a bit slower than the games than other consoles to go mainstream.. Let's face it before WoW they were cult games. Popular, millions of players popular for some, but still cult. Now all the big games have millions of players each.

because there are a lot of boys trapped in an old man's body with a credit card. that's why.