High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

[MW] H Empress healing help needed

Hello denizens of mmo! It's not often I come here asking for help on an individual encounter, but my guild killed Ambershaper tonight, and we gave empress a few pulls (nearly a kill too!) in just under an hour of attempts. I as our RL wanted to run the very safe strategy of 4 healing, and I am our only MW monk capable of healing the encounter on our roster (on my alt, I main a lock). While I felt that I can probably fill out the kinks on my own and figure out things I can do to better improve just on sheer reading, I wanted to ask people on here if there is anything they can critique me on regarding my healing output on this encounter as a monk in general.

http: //worldoflogs.com/reports/7y1iuh5brnayja75/dashboard/?enc=wipes&boss=62837

I'm Vaffral in the parse, and while I felt like I was really getting a feel for the healing required for the fight, I felt that I could've done a lot better, as I was having a lot of mana issues throughout the earlier pulls, and while I got better over the course of the night with my mana, I still felt I was leaving a lot to be desired. I know a lot of the ins and outs of mistweaver to a pretty advanced level, but I still feel like I have quite a bit of room for improvement.

Any suggestions anyone has for me to perform on this encounter a little better in the way of mana regen? Just not enough spirit on my gear? (I plan on spirit flasking for sure), Am I going about healing tank+raid damage during retreats all wrong with a Chi Burst heavy approach? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

http: //us.battle.net/wow/en/character/rexxar/Vaffral/advanced- Armory if needed to tear it up.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quick things cuz it's late: I'm comparing my 15 minute 25m first kill to your 9/10 min attempt (so I had an addition 50% more healing and CDs etc)
    Dampen Harm was used once. Are you using it during the corrupted dissonance field (seconds before) so that it'll last until the second one on the first wave? I used double your TFT and I still feel that I could have used more. I didn't see Fort Brew at all. You can use it 4 times during the encounter (I use it for when a dissonance field is about to explode and I don't have Dampen Harm up)

I also used double the mana tea and therefore, regained a lot more mana; track this better. I would recommend saving your focus pot as soon as the RL calls out to trap adds if you're not doing so already.

You logged out as BrM so I can't even critique your gear/stats.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was trying to use Mana Tea as often as possible whenever I had it up, but I'll do a much better job tracking it.

For Dampen Harm, I used it a few times throughout the pulls, but not once during the 9/10 minute pulls, I should definitely track that as well for Dampen + Fortifying.

For the double TFT, how are you going about yours? on cd? or at a specific point in the fight? I was trying to make sure I had an RM coat on the raid so that I could upliftx2/brew/upliftx2 after a corrupted explosion, but is it much more beneficial to just use on cd?

For the focus pot, that's generally when I've been trying to do it during the fight if I felt I had the time to spare.

As for my mistweaver set, I forgot I was just tanking a 5 man, so I relogged in my healing set up.
    Last edited by Vathral2; 2013-02-12 at 07:53 AM.

Deleted
    Not using dampen harm? That's pretty poor play considering it is one of the strongest options for mitigating dissonance field explosions. Regardless, you say you're having trouble with mana? I do that fight with 8.5k spirit, int flask and int food so it's definitely not a spirit issue. If you're interested, according to my spreadsheet you have 14187 MP5 in combat with mana tea being used every 17 seconds with spirit food and flask. You have 800 less MP5 but 1576 more spellpower and a little more crit with int food and flask.

Just to go over a few of the basics;

-Are you using Chi Brew with every other TFT? This syncs up pretty well on this fight as there's predictable damage bursts throughout.
    -Expel Harm on cooldown? Saves you 2.5k mana every 15 seconds or gives you 830 or so MP5 depending on how you look at it.
    -Mana tea immediately < 90% with 2 stacks unless it will cripple your output.
    -Refreshing SZ every 25-30 seconds?

Those would certainly increase your regen, for gear advice - you're not reaching the 3145 haste out of stance threshold, you're at the worst possible zone for it which is just below it which means your ReM is only going to last around 17 seconds. Once you reach 3145 haste you'll have 19 seconds or so and an extra tick, but if you can't reach it in your current gear drop as much haste as you can for crit.

For tank healing phase I'm stuck on raid healing, I'm not entirely sure if you get that luxury but if you do I go about it by keeping ReM/EH on cooldown and Uplifting when I can. In any down time I usually stick a Soothing on the tank who's taking the biggest beating/the tank who has a healer kiting.

You got 8.3k spirit according to your armory which is 4k less than I have. You need to get your haste from 2877 to 3145, it will make a pretty big difference.

Then same as any other boss, use expel harm, mana tea, chi brew and TFT on cooldown. Get Diffuse magic and Chi torpedo which you should also use on cd.

With that being said, you got horrible gear and I'm not sure if it's even worth it if you do crazy dps on your other char. With no 2 set and 8k spirit you will go oom so incredibly fast if you even attempt to heal a tank.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    For TFT, I use it during the first corrupted dissonance to blanket the raid like you do but then I use it during the second wave as well. Also, I use it during add phase to blanket the raid since they'll be taking damage from the acid debuff and if you're unlucky, dispatch.

You're 287 point shy of the 3145 as mentioned above. Since you have a decent ilvl, getting this breakpoint should be very obtainable.

During the add phase, I stack with ranged because its 'safer' so my SZ falls off. Safer meaning that I won't get lol'd by an add that fixates on me.

Tavin: the monk tier set is absolute garbage. The only thing worth getting is the Lei Shi tier because its BiS and chest is decent IIRC.

He shouldn't be tank healing. There is a solid paladin healer in the group and the OP should be helping the other tank survive along with the priest and the rdruid just continue to be useless (no offence them them as a player, just the class ATM)
    Last edited by Shinchib; 2013-02-12 at 02:23 PM.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll make sure to fix the threshold, I keep going on my reforger and making it give me 3146 haste on the threshold, I should've noticed that. I don't bother because I assume my reforger gets it right, but apparently not. That should be fixed.

I try to use Expel Harm nearly on cd. I've been keeping up SZ during non retreat phases perfectly fine. I'll do a better job with mana tea refreshes, and set something up so it's easier for me to visually track. However, you guys recommend I use my TFT's on cds, even if I can't upliftx2/brew/upliftx2 coming off a corrupted field explosion?

For the monk tier set, I have 3p, but as Shin said, I'm pretty sure the monk set bonuses are total garbage, and I'd rather go with the higher ilvl items for throughput than go for tier bonuses I'm probably never going to use/utilize since they blow dick.

But for the TFT thing, one says to use on CD, another uses it during the dissonances then when the raid is taking damage in p2 (like I wanted to use it). Which is the better option? I'm trying to just mold my play a little better for this boss.

Deleted
    TFT is only really worth using in anticipation of the damage, on cooldown is pretty bad and even if it did increase your numbers you'd have it up when the healing is mostly manageable which is not what it's designed for.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    TFT is only really worth using in anticipation of the damage, on cooldown is pretty bad and even if it did increase your numbers you'd have it up when the healing is mostly manageable which is not what it's designed for.
    Agreed. In 25 man, you need about 15 seconds heads up to cover 12-15 players but for 10man, you can cut that by 2-3 seconds I believe.

Also, you can delete your two additional posts if you want by editing them and clicking the delete button and checking off delete.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinchib View Post
    Agreed. In 25 man, you need about 15 seconds heads up to cover 12-15 players but for 10man, you can cut that by 2-3 seconds I believe.

Also, you can delete your two additional posts if you want by editing them and clicking the delete button and checking off delete.
    Thanks, this site is kicking my ass for far too many reasons with posting. Also, would you prefer Xuen or Torpedo for this boss?

Deleted
    Xuen is a probable best for 10 man. Especially during add phase when you can sick him on a stack of adds with CJL.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with using Xuen. I wouldn't use it for the adds though. Sure you'll be getting some nice smart heals but it's during a low HPS phase. Save it for a whole dissonance field (pop it before hand so it can help you too everyone up).

Still use TFT during add phase to refresh your ReM hot on your raid but that's just for the free healing and should counter the poison your tank(s) are putting on the DPS for additional damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinchib View Post
    I agree with using Xuen. I wouldn't use it for the adds though. Sure you'll be getting some nice smart heals but it's during a low HPS phase. Save it for a whole dissonance field (pop it before hand so it can help you too everyone up).

Still use TFT during add phase to refresh your ReM hot on your raid but that's just for the free healing and should counter the poison your tank(s) are putting on the DPS for additional damage.
    Which is what Xuen excels at, especially with multiple targets active. With 3 targets active he'll do about 2 million eminence over the course of his 45 seconds active which won't overheal for the most part, he's not a great oh shit button.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its not a question of where will Xuen deal the most damage therefore the most healing, it's a question about where will a MW need better smart heals for. If you're 4 healing the fight, during the add phase Xuen will not benefit the raid as much. It is a good smart heal for dissonance to heal up the lowest player topped up in case of some bad RNG where that ranged is getting hit by a lot of screams or whatever it's called.

Deleted
    There is no RNG with the raid being nuked, that's bad stacking. They're not mutually exclusive either, I can use one Xuen per phase pretty much.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you pop Xuen at the beginning if the first dissonance, it will not be up until about halfway (or more) through the add phase. By all means, pop it there for extra DPS/healing but don't save it for the add phase.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been reading the thread, just not posting, I do appreciate the input from you guys! We're stacking during the add phase, and I have a great idea of how I'll go about my xuen usage with the information here. I didn't think about rotating dampen with fortifying for the explosions, I'll definitely do that as well. Do you guys get the chance to fistweave on this? and if so, has it generally been worth using TP at all to top off anyone for the hell of it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vathral2 View Post
    I've been reading the thread, just not posting, I do appreciate the input from you guys! We're stacking during the add phase, and I have a great idea of how I'll go about my xuen usage with the information here. I didn't think about rotating dampen with fortifying for the explosions, I'll definitely do that as well. Do you guys get the chance to fistweave on this? and if so, has it generally been worth using TP at all to top off anyone for the hell of it?
    You should be in melee constantly during the non add phase, none of Mistweaver's instants reset the swing timer at all. I only use Tiger Palm initially on the pull and maybe refresh it if people are topped right before an explosion and I can regain the chi before it explodes. TP only really increases your auto attack damage by a tiny amount though. Another advantage of fistweaving on this is that you never get targeted by Cry of Terror. Oh and you can use Zen Meditation to cheese this encounter so badly at times.

aYMMV on this, but I find grand empress to be an extremely trivial fight, at least with my group.

Unfortunately, I sit for most part since the raid leader thinks I won't fit well with the group comp. They take a resto shaman over me b/c of raid utility but I don't think I've been holding my group back at all.

Anyway, for grand emp, we do 4 heal as well, though I don't think we need it. We use 2 disc priests, resto sham, and me mistweaving.

Phase 1's are pretty trivial for me. The disc priests usually can cover the explosions easily. I fistweave for the most part, usually just to get free SuM for tank spikes, and during explosions or other spikes, i'll uplift. The explosions are distanced far enough apart that usually we don't really need a CD most of the time. Uplifts + normal heals can top everyone off. My revival is there for emergencies but it hasn't often been the case. I also don't glyph ReM here b/c most of my duty is melee healing, while the others cover the cry of terrors/ranged (they coordinate among themselves for that, and BoP). Personal CDs have already been covered here, obv good idea to pop before a dissonance.

For the 2nd phase, we have our BrM Monk tank the 2 big adds by the stairs, and our prot pally pick up all the small ones. The cooldown are coordinated between the prot pally, 2 disc priest supps, and our dk stun + my leg sweep and that's good enough for the most part, but if it' isn't, life cocoon is there. I pop xuen here and stick with the tank, though once I got insta-gib one shot from a windblade crit, but for the most part a fixate is easy to roll away from. It doesn't really matter too much to stay in melee for that though, I could just stack with range where we are building pools. Soothing mist + Env mist and surging mist if needed on the prot tank. Other healers cover our BrM.

After the traps are settled, perfect time for our divine hymns/mana tide/ and potion of focus. I'm likely back to 100% mana at this point. This is with continual use of mana teas pretty much on CD. Something I notice you don't tend to do on your logs.

P3 is not too hard, but this is where you start going oom. I don't do much for mistweaving past keeping SZ up. Use my Chi for constant uplifts.

For TFT, I actually do kind of use it on CD, but watch the dissonance timers. I use a ReM tracker so that I maximize the amount of ReM on people. If you pop it on dissonance and only have ReM on 3 people, it's not doing very much in aiding uplift until you get more ReM waves in the raid group.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    You should be in melee constantly during the non add phase, none of Mistweaver's instants reset the swing timer at all. I only use Tiger Palm initially on the pull and maybe refresh it if people are topped right before an explosion and I can regain the chi before it explodes. TP only really increases your auto attack damage by a tiny amount though. Another advantage of fistweaving on this is that you never get targeted by Cry of Terror. Oh and you can use Zen Meditation to cheese this encounter so badly at times.
    Yep, I've been doing that. So I'll drop my TP usage down quite a bit then.

---------- Post added 2013-02-13 at 06:02 AM ----------

Thanks for the advice guys, got her down last night! Onto H protectors!