Page 1 of 2
LastLast

NPC races that have 'joined' factions. Hozen, Jinyu, Ogres, etc...

Since we're sort of filling up on playable races, do you think it'd be easier to just add a few of these every expansion and have them maintain a subtle presence?

That way in the future if any are really popular Blizz can make THEM playable and in the meantime they can focus on tweaking game mechanics and features, plus lore for races that're already playable.

What do you all think? Should we see more of these guys? Keep treating them the way we have? Or see less of nonplayable races in the Alliance/Horde?
    Twas brillig

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I agree with you. There are too many playable races to not have some neglected at this point. Blizzard needs to focus on what it has, or else it will take forever to make a circulation of focus equal to all the races at some point. So yah, I agree.

Less playable races but definitely continue their stories beyond the expansion they were introduced. It's nice to see Ethereals doing *something* in current WoW, even if it's just a player service. I'd be nice to have seen Vrykul outside of DS during Cata. I'd hope with Pandaria opened up perhaps we'd see Jinyu and Hozen adventuring around the bigger world. Maybe a few humbled Mogu out doing something in a world that is completely new to them as well. Not a primary focus but just present and not forgotten.

Honestly, it sorta irritates me... mostly because it's yet another of example of this being an RPG, but us having absolutely no control over the story. Also, they still clearly want humans and orcs to be the only races that REALLY matter in the end, so all the other stories are either sub-plots or just intended to tie in with the larger "humans and orcs" storyline... so it doesn't matter that much to me which other race they choose to fill that role.

Plus, I hate the hozen. With a passion. I considered switching back to alliance just so I wouldn't have to be allied with the Hozen, and if I could, I would slaughter every single Hozen, have Sylvanas re-animate them, slaughter them again, then have their souls (if they have any) bound and tormented for all eternity... as a start.

Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    Honestly, it sorta irritates me... mostly because it's yet another of example of this being an RPG, but us having absolutely no control over the story. Also, they still clearly want humans and orcs to be the only races that REALLY matter in the end, so all the other stories are either sub-plots or just intended to tie in with the larger "humans and orcs" storyline... so it doesn't matter that much to me which other race they choose to fill that role.

Plus, I hate the hozen. With a passion. I considered switching back to alliance just so I wouldn't have to be allied with the Hozen, and if I could, I would slaughter every single Hozen, have Sylvanas re-animate them, slaughter them again, then have their souls (if they have any) bound and tormented for all eternity... as a start.
    Yeah those were what made me unsub. The forest hozen are AWFUL and the hozen in general definitely aren't good but I like the IDEA of a shortlived race with high numbers joining the Horde as fodder or to replace peons as orcs set up more widespread means of education.
    Twas brillig

The Taunka. Where the fuck did the Taunka go ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Well since they're making it 'evil' to force the elements whereas before it was a sort of political / cultural difference they couldn't keep them around unless they were all gonna be slated to die with Garrosh :\
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Well since they're making it 'evil' to force the elements whereas before it was a sort of political / cultural difference they couldn't keep them around unless they were all gonna be slated to die with Garrosh :\
    I forgot about that part of Taunka lore. Does that mean they are at odds with the Earthen Ring?

Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Same as the frostborn dwarves for the alliance - they stayed in Northrend. I don't consider that to be necessarily unrealistic. Still, seeing a random Taunka somewhere would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Daelin Proudmoore View Post
    I forgot about that part of Taunka lore. Does that mean they are at odds with the Earthen Ring?
    Well Toshe Chaosrender was in it so... I guess not?

Though that contradicts the terrible shaman manga where Muln Earthfury let his apprentice DIE rather than force the elements because of how big a deal it was (the jackass)
    Twas brillig

Toshe might just have learned the ways of the Tauren after meeting them during the Lich King war, giving up his elemental enslavement practices and joining the Earthen Ring. It's not necessarily a contradiction.

Although I doubt that all shamans of the Earthen Ring have ethical standards as strict as Muln's. There must be many orc and troll shamans (and especially goblins) that have no issue in dominating their elemental servants.

15+ Year Old Account

Though that contradicts the terrible shaman manga where Muln Earthfury let his apprentice DIE rather than force the elements because of how big a deal it was (the jackass)
    That book was such a let down considering how awesome Death Knight was.

They do seem to slowly be ebbing out the mangas from existence. I hold their lore in about as much regard as the RPG books which is... "tenative at best". There is still a large Scourge presence in Northrend and there are still Nerubians to worry about. The world does continue after the expansions end and the CDev team do have an idea of what happens but there's no easy way to get that to players other than the Q&As. Saurfang stayed behind to manage the Northrend skeleton crews (left behinds that act as scouts for further problems) and we can assume that the Taunka returned to the relative harsh normalcy of their lives but remain on good terms with the Warsong Offensive.

I will point out that there is a thematic difference in "controlling" the Elements and "abusing" the Elements and perverting them as Garrosh has his ShamLocks do. There are lines even the Taunka would not cross.

As for the OP. I, tentatively, think that Blizzard are doing a better job at utilizing their existing races and as they begin to better utilize Scenarios as story telling devices we'll see more development of existing races. Adding NPC races to Horde and Alliance is a good thing for now because they won't garner as large a following. This gives them space to develop them more freely.

Say what you'd like about the Hozen but I found them to be a fresh comic relief now that Goblins are plaaaaayed out. I don't like them and I envy the Jinyu but I think it's a very silly thing to /quit over. They didn't get much presence after all. They were really localized to the Jade Forest story zone. I think any of the Hozen who saw the Sha after the battle likely said "Wak the ooken oath" and scarpered.

Quote Originally Posted by iscalio View Post
    Toshe might just have learned the ways of the Tauren after meeting them during the Lich King war, giving up his elemental enslavement practices and joining the Earthen Ring. It's not necessarily a contradiction.

Although I doubt that all shamans of the Earthen Ring have ethical standards as strict as Muln's. There must be many orc and troll shamans (and especially goblins) that have no issue in dominating their elemental servants.
    He flat out says he uses the Taunka way though in his quests.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 12:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by thesmall001 View Post
    Say what you'd like about the Hozen but I found them to be a fresh comic relief now that Goblins are plaaaaayed out. I don't like them and I envy the Jinyu but I think it's a very silly thing to /quit over. They didn't get much presence after all. They were really localized to the Jade Forest story zone. I think any of the Hozen who saw the Sha after the battle likely said "Wak the ooken oath" and scarpered.
    It'd be great if that wasn't -all- they were good for. I mean "Chief Kah Kah"? :\ REALLY?

And while that was the straw that broke the camels back it was a long time coming.

One of the bigger story things for me was how the whole reason Thrall went to Outland and talked with the Mag'har was because he wanted to tap all that original orcish culture... and then it turns out being no different from legion stuff, we have mag'har under Garrosh that are WORSE than demonblood orcs from the second war

How stupid is that?
    Twas brillig

He flat out says he uses the Taunka way though in his quests.
    I see. In that case my point is invalid.

I tried to find his remarks on Wowhead, but I failed. All I saw was that he says the water elementals still "bend to his will", which is unspecific. Beyond that all I found was a lot of naga hate.

Can you point me towards the quests you speak of?

http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:Vortex_(Vash%27jir)

Too often, we are mistaken for druidic types. perhaps that's true for some shaman, but do not let yourself be plagued by the ignorant belief that we are always peaceful.
    Nothing about what I do is harmonious. I command the elements to my will. There is nothing offered in return. I would have it no other way.
    Twas brillig

The only non-playable NPCs I see on a consistent basis in the Horde or Alliance ranks are Revantusk Forest Trolls and High Elves respectively. I assume because those factions are closely associated with Horde/Alliance. Moreso than other NPC races.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    The only non-playable NPCs I see on a consistent basis in the Horde or Alliance ranks are Revantusk Forest Trolls and High Elves respectively. I assume because those factions are closely associated with Horde/Alliance. Moreso than other NPC races.
    Really? I'd say Ogres are way more common than Revantusk.
    Twas brillig

Thanks! I like that quote. I am happy they are not streamlining Taunka shamanism out of existence.

Quote Originally Posted by iscalio View Post
    Thanks! I like that quote. I am happy they are not streamlining Taunka shamanism out of existence.
    Ditto. One of the things I loved about the game was all the differences in the cultures ad races and seeing the occasional meshing to create something new or improve something that was already around... but then everything started getting homogenized in neutral factions and "THE ARMY OF THE LIGHT!" Ugh.

The fighting at Hyjal and The Might of Kalimdor for the AQ thing are, in my opinion the ONLY times the Alliance and Horde working together has 'worked' for me and made sense.
    Twas brillig