Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Exceprt From Dawn of the Aspects Part I

Today over on Blizzplanet they released an excerpt from part I of Dawn of the Aspects:
    http://www.blizzplanet.com/blog/comm...spects-excerpt

A fun little read for sure and it defiantly gets you excited for DoA. Say what you will about Knaak but the Dragon Aspects is where he shines. I love the Proto-Neltharion is a dick!

Part I comes out on the 19th, with each of the other 5 parts coming out once a month until June.

Blizz forgot deathwing was good and nice before he was evil and that's part of WHY him turning evil was so terrible.

Blizz loves to retroactively make their corrupted characters evil jerks before they were corrupted for some reason. Kael being a flat out creeper on Jaina and a human hater rather than just being awkward with her and pretty fine with humanity up until the Garithos thing for example. Same with Sylvanas not 'freeing' nathanos but raising him, and considering her rangers 'arrows in her quiver' before she died.

And then ARTHAS jesus...
    Twas brillig

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    And then ARTHAS jesus...
    Arthas' development was perfectly fine. Don't drag him into this.

Kael I just..I didn't like the fact he was brought back after TK but it makes sense why, and specifically why he acted the way he did after.

The only aspect of what you said that I will agree with is the Deathwing part. He doesn't really come off as evil in the excerpt to me, just kind of prideful and arrogant. That's...kinda what you'd expect from him to be honest. He was the strongest Aspect and kinda in charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Plus this was before he was an aspect...he's kinda like Wrathion a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Arthas' development was perfectly fine. Don't drag him into this.

Kael I just..I didn't like the fact he was brought back after TK but it makes sense why, and specifically why he acted the way he did after.

The only aspect of what you said that I will agree with is the Deathwing part. He doesn't really come off as evil in the excerpt to me, just kind of prideful and arrogant. That's...kinda what you'd expect from him to be honest. He was the strongest Aspect and kinda in charge.
    Arthas's development wasn't so horrible on its own. But everything revolving around the Lich King story post-WoW was horrible. Anti-climatic and disjointed from original character progression of the LK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, so based on proto-Neltharion's speech, the proto-dragons do appear to be highly intelligent. Unless that's very heavily translated and he's really just roaring the sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Gawdzilla View Post
    Say what you will about Knaak
    I think you'll find a lot of people already do. The lore-knowledgeable community despises him, and with good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    I think you'll find a lot of people already do. The lore-knowledgeable community despises him, and with good reason.
    I know quite a lot about WC's lore and I am fine with Knaak except that I don't like time travel shit in his WotA version. It would be better if he wrote it in original version with only NE story. Other than that I enjoyed Stormrage and Wolfheart and his writings about dragons overall.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2013-02-07 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Hmm, so based on proto-Neltharion's speech, the proto-dragons do appear to be highly intelligent. Unless that's very heavily translated and he's really just roaring the sentiment.
    Some of the proto-dragons hissed at the gray male, but no one challenged him. By their glances, they knew him to be strong and able to back up his taunt. Even those proto-dragons who clearly had little more intelligence than their prey appeared to know better than to fight—
    From this we can take that there A) some smart/intelligent/sentient Protos and then there are some B) not so smart/intelligent/sentient protos. And it makes sense because we are about to witness the birth/evolution of the Protos into Dragons.

I'm very WELL aware of Knaak's rep, and often time i've been one to knock his writings...but like I was saying...writing the Dragon Aspects is one of his strengths

10+ Year Old Account
    Was really figuring it'd be more of a "Me Neltharion king!" style of dialogue from the proto-dragons.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Neltharion thing is just another case of blizzard retconning there own works yet again. All that speech Alexstrazsa gave us about how Neltharion was the best of them and the nicest of all dragons before he was corrupted, yeah, its a retcon, don't end up being duped by it.

And seriously, its a freaking knaak book, what do you expect? What, has knaak suddenly improved on his ability to write complete dribble?

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 08:24 PM ----------

Yes, and this pretty much shows why. I read knaak books earlier on, it established how Neltharion was meant to be a goodie good dragon before he was corrupted, knaak, and yet here we see knaak changing that completely.

This punches further holes in the lore and blizzard doesn't seem to answer for it.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 08:26 PM ----------

Though, when you see knaaks dialog:

“Little hatchlings!” he bellowed. “Afraid of the sky! Afraid of the ground! Galakrond laughs at you for being afraid, and I, Neltharion, do, too!”
    Its like a saturday morning cartoon villain speech.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Arthas's development wasn't so horrible on its own. But everything revolving around the Lich King story post-WoW was horrible. Anti-climatic and disjointed from original character progression of the LK.
    Are you joking?

Wrath stands as my favorite expansion not just due to the memories I had with my friends, but for the immersive story of Arthas and his downfall.

They handled his development in a mature and personal manner; he was a villain I was overjoyed to conquer in ICC.

The only gripe I have with this book is the fact it's written by Knaak, whose character development and writing isn't something I'm exactly a fan of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    The Neltharion thing is easily understood too. This was when they were all very young and the fact he is already known as being one of the stronger proto dragons means he is likely arrogant and cocky. He's basically a typical male teen lol
    It's what he'll likely go through in the 5 part series that matures him and makes him the kind of dragon that you would never expect to become something like Deathwing.
    I just imagined Neltharion in a polo with a popped collar wearing a hat backwards lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Was really figuring it'd be more of a "Me Neltharion king!" style of dialogue from the proto-dragons.
    And now I just imagined Neltharion as Grimlock

Again people need to realize that characters grow, so what that he was kinda of a douche back in the day when it was every proto-dragon for himself. Fighting Galakrond, and becoming an Aspect changed him....and then the Old Gods corrupted him

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually enjoyed the little bit we got. I have no issue with it. I think people are overly criticizing things and like to lean on insulting things on his work.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron View Post
    I actually enjoyed the little bit we got. I have no issue with it. I think people are overly criticizing things and like to lean on insulting things on his work.
    Can I tell you something. I actully had no idea who was set to write this book (either I didn't hear or completely forgot who the author was going to be) so I read the preview with some curiosity and an open mind. I then got to the bit with Neltharion and his 'yeesssssss, yesssss bow to my master little maggots' speech, wondered 'WTF is this?', and then saw who the author was and facepalmed.

I mean, I would have been shocked if it was christie golden at this kind of writing, but then seeing if was knaak, well, its like yeah, makes sense now.

The only thing Im interested in is what role the Titans played in this story. We know the Titans empowered the aspects and make dragonkind as we see it now with their magic. Seeing how it's Knaak's story Im expecting Rhonin and another time-travelling orc to show up and be the ones *really* responsible for empowering the Aspects <.<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    The only thing Im interested in is what role the Titans played in this story. We know the Titans empowered the aspects and make dragonkind as we see it now with their magic. Seeing how it's Knaak's story Im expecting Rhonin and another time-travelling orc to show up and be the ones *really* responsible for empowering the Aspects <.<
    its no surprise really, expect more retcons to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    its no surprise really, expect more retcons to come.
    Just have to hope Blizz reined in his "creative license" and kept things on track. silly dialogue aside the excerpt was at least interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    The Neltharion thing is just another case of blizzard retconning there own works yet again. All that speech Alexstrazsa gave us about how Neltharion was the best of them and the nicest of all dragons before he was corrupted, yeah, its a retcon, don't end up being duped by it.

Yes, and this pretty much shows why. I read knaak books earlier on, it established how Neltharion was meant to be a goodie good dragon before he was corrupted, knaak, and yet here we see knaak changing that completely.

This punches further holes in the lore and blizzard doesn't seem to answer for it.
    You are misreading that line about Neltharion. It isn't saying he is evil *then*, it's Kalecgos thinking about the future Deathwing.

It has never been said that Neltharion was "nice", only that he was the strongest supporter of Alextrasza. Being good doesn't mean you have to be all happy-happy-joy-joy.

Neltharion's just being alpha. Doesn't necessarily mean evil.