Thread: Idiocracy

Page 1 of 4
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Warchief Clevername's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    behind cover
    Posts
    2,141

    Idiocracy

    I recently watched Idiocracy again for probably the 5th time, yes it's a funny movie and an interesting look at what Mike Judge thinks might happen. The question is do you think it's possible that we as a global society will eventually breed out the intelligence? I ask this because here in America I see plenty of cases of poorly educated, irresponsible people breeding like rabbits while I see the higher educated, financially responsible only having 1 -2 children per household. Yes, my examples are purely specific to me and no, I am not advocating reproduction control for anyone. I am simply asking the question, Do you believe the film on any level is really possible?

    I thought these clips went well with the topic



  2. #2

  3. #3
    Merely a Setback Rukentuts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Mini Soda
    Posts
    25,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    Mike Judge
    That's all I need to read.

    That guy is one of the few remaining comedic geniuses. Of course, in this topic there is a veil of seriousness.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    Hey, as a transabled, transethnic, non-binary, genderqueer, neo-communist, indoor-capable republican otherkin I am offended by your callous display of ignorance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Both of those links don't provide any evidence. They make unsubstantiated statements

  4. #4
    The intelligence will continue to live on. While a sector will go about prolonging erections, and increasing hair growth, there will always be people in labs working away for the future. That said, I would be in favor of whoever can wrestle down the President to become the new champion! (lolpoliticsbecray)

  5. #5
    Education is not genetic

  6. #6
    Warchief Clevername's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    behind cover
    Posts
    2,141
    Quote Originally Posted by Qly View Post
    Education is not genetic
    Let's not get into the whole nature vs. nurture crap shall we? Plenty of evidence out there to support the fact that children of college graduates are more likely to attend secondary education themselves.

  7. #7
    Idiocracy is obviously hyperbolic but it definitely seems like it's headed in that direction. IMO we need less warning labels and mandatory safety devices. Let Natural Selection thin the idiotic gene pool some.

  8. #8
    Over 9000! Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    9,301
    I don't think 100% of the population will be stupid. But I think as hundreads of years pass we will separate more and more into 2 races. One smart but with problems, health ones especially, and one as dumb as dumb as rocks and of more slaves then anything.

  9. #9
    Based on the old Sci-Fi story "The Marching Morons".
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

    -Kujako-

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    Let's not get into the whole nature vs. nurture crap shall we? Plenty of evidence out there to support the fact that children of college graduates are more likely to attend secondary education themselves.
    It depends how you interpret it. The parents may have had a genetic advantage, which were then passed down their children.

    A stronger argument would be like this:
    While it may be largely genetic, the upbringing of the child is also very important for the formation of their intelligence. So if the parents and educators get worse, the intelligence of their children would be slowly declining over generations. But of course, this is very unlikely.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    Let's not get into the whole nature vs. nurture crap shall we? Plenty of evidence out there to support the fact that children of college graduates are more likely to attend secondary education themselves.
    While the statement may or may not be true, the evidence you used to "prove" your point is insufficient.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Qly View Post
    Education is not genetic
    No its not but it is related to genetics when it comes to speed and ability to learn, some are faster while others struggle with the same tasks assuming both are trying properly.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Qly View Post
    Education is not genetic
    No but stupid people breed more than not so stupid people. And education is less likely to have the desired effect on a stupid person, he's the child of stupid parents afterall and there's bound to be some indoctrination there to follow their way of life.

  14. #14
    The Insane Reeve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    18,811
    Quote Originally Posted by Qly View Post
    Education is not genetic
    Intelligence may very well be genetic though. It certainly appears to be through pure anecdotal evidence.
    Well 1, 2, 3, take my hand and come with me
    Because you look so fine
    And I really wanna make you mine

  15. #15
    Bloodsail Admiral The Casualty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Flint, Michigan
    Posts
    1,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevername View Post
    Let's not get into the whole nature vs. nurture crap shall we? Plenty of evidence out there to support the fact that children of college graduates are more likely to attend secondary education themselves.
    They might be more likely to attend secondary education, but you make the grave mistake of assuming causation out of correlation. There could be any number of reasons that might affect that outcome.

    Here are a couple off the top of my head:

    1. Money.
    A. College graduates typically have higher earnings than their peers who do not have the same level of education, and can afford to help their child afford college.
    B. Those with a higher socioeconomic status often live in better areas with better rated public or private school systems, which might in turn affect college admission rates and success once enrolled.

    2. Family/Society
    A. Perhaps those with a college education view it as a positive and/or necessary experience for their progeny, pushing that point of view. Those who are expected to go to secondary education with that POV pushed since an early age may be more likely to attend/complete.
    B. In an environment where the school and perhaps even friends are discussing what school they should attend when they finish HS, peer pressure to succeed/follow suit might also be similarly expected.


    The point is, while evidence supports that people with college educations produce children who also get college educations, it is EXTREMELY presumptuous to assume why that reason is.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Intelligence may very well be genetic though. It certainly appears to be through pure anecdotal evidence.
    Intelligence certainly has a significant genetic component to it, but it seems clear that it is neither 100% heritable nor completely determined by nature alone (from twins studies).

  17. #17
    The Lightbringer DEATHETERNAL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    USA, more fascist every day
    Posts
    3,671
    Currently we are not yet at the level where I think breeding out intelligence is occurring at a meaningful level, but if the current political trend among Western nations of more and more socialism continues, I do see it possibly happening in the future. As long as the stupid are subsidized by the government instead of just barely being prevented from starving to death by the willing charity of others, situations like the ones above (along with a great many more to a lesser insane degree) will continue. Only when faced with true suffering will the truly foolish learn their lesson, and in learning that lesson they will be far better off than had they never had to face that suffering even if they physically have less at that moment.

    If that possibility for true suffering (not caused by crime, but by one’s own stupidity) is further eliminated, higher and higher percentages of society will become like those people in the OP’s videos as they know that there is no possibility of them facing true suffering. Whether genetically or simply upbringing wise (or both), at that point intelligence may begin to be breed out or simply not be developed in ever-increasing portions of the population. The ways around I see that outcome are a reduction in socialism (allowing for self inflicted suffering due to stupidity and a lack of though for consequences) or totalitarian policies to force development of intelligence among the general populace (I’ll take a reduction in socialism).
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

  18. #18
    People tend to be rather cynical about their fellow humans. It's like plane crashes. Some people think airplanes are dangerous because they are on the news often after crashing. That doesn't mean they crash a lot...they just make good news when they do. probably because it is so uncommon given the number of flights daily in the US.

    It's the same with dumb people. A dumb person saying stupid shit is far more entertaining then a person using reason and making valid points. Stupid people frustrate us, and we like that. I think most people are reasonably smart, though.

    There are, however, plenty of times when otherwise intelligent people leave their comfort zone and then appear dumb.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

  19. #19
    Such a thing couldn't happen, not to the degree shown in the movie.

    Bergtau's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability that somebody will mention Godwin's Law approaches 1.
    Hitler wasn't all bad, I mean, he DID kill Hitler.
    An accident is something that you did not mean to do at all. A mistake is something that you regret doing.

  20. #20
    Stood in the Fire zerocoolhack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Central,Mass
    Posts
    495
    In the first video the women and the man need to be sterilized in this case. This needs to be taught that this behavior is unacceptable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •