Deleted

stat changing training dummy -> raid

hi,

atm im playing monk windwalker in an 13/16hc 25er raid and yesterday i tried some things with reforging on my gea

with my current gear/reforge ( which i used the last days /week , 3900 haste, 34,2% crit (unbuffed )) i did 90k on the boss training dummy in a 10min fight

now i reforged a bit ( to 4500 haste, 33,02% crit unbuffed ) and after ~ 10 minutes fight at the dummy i had 97k

my char link if someone want to look over it: http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...kbird/advanced

So my question is, can i take the training dummy for real? / how does the stat weight change in the raid situation with all buffs ?

10 minute fight is quite good for starters. But in two 10 minute fights there are still too much variations due to RNG.

To eliminate the RNG out of the equation you need MORE samples. Right now you can only use it as an idea or theory which still has to be dis/approved.

No Statistic can itself call a statistic if it hasnt at least 1000 samples, and this is still borderline.
    Since noone expects you to do 2000 or more training dummy fights people invented simulators which simulate exactly this. Thats the iterations variable in several simcrafts.

You could now do MORE fights at the dummy to see if they are folowing your previous line, or you could just sim what you are trying.

Quote Originally Posted by kirby9113 View Post
    hi,

atm im playing monk windwalker in an 13/16hc 25er raid and yesterday i tried some things with reforging on my gea

with my current gear/reforge ( which i used the last days /week , 3900 haste, 34,2% crit (unbuffed )) i did 90k on the boss training dummy in a 10min fight

now i reforged a bit ( to 4500 haste, 33,02% crit unbuffed ) and after ~ 10 minutes fight at the dummy i had 97k

my char link if someone want to look over it: http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/characte...kbird/advanced

So my question is, can i take the training dummy for real? / how does the stat weight change in the raid situation with all buffs ?
    well such a big difference in the sample concludes that there is actually a difference, or you where extremely lucky/unlucky.
    I would do another 2-3 10min sessions with ither setup and see if the difference is still that huge, probably it will not be, because just shifting a few hundres to thousand of a second stat will never ever offer you such a damage gain. (hell, even If a dev would decide to give you 2000 haste as a birthday present that wouldn't average out to be a increase of nearly 10% damage you got in the tests)

ps: thinking about it, the difference in stats you reforged is so small you will probably not find out which ones is better through a few dummy tests
    Last edited by TheTrueM4gg0t; 2013-02-07 at 01:07 PM.

I am going to sound pompous and elitist here, but bear with me.

The training dummy does not exist for the purpose of trying out reforges, regemming or even gear upgrades. The RNG involved in any particular fight makes data unreliable. A streak of 2 or 3 crits or a streak of several normal hits will bork your data. Simulators are better as they can run enough iterations to factor out RNG and tell you whether your gearing change is affecting your character's theoretical performance.

The training dummy does however serve a valuable service. If you run your parses in the simulators, you should see a pattern regarding the number jabs vs black kicks and rising sun kicks ect. The training dummy gives you the opportunity to hone your ability to practice rotation and your decisions when proc type abilities present themselves. When the encounter mechanics become difficult and the stress of keeping your performance on both a dps and mechanic level is high, its best to know the sequences and practice your reflexes. A training dummy is one of the ways to hone your abilities and improve your "player" skills.

TLTR:

Player practice = training dummy. Gearing choices = simulations.