1. #1

    Dalaran unchanged

    Stupid question perhaps.

    But why is Dalaran the same after the purge? The horde and Sunreavers are still there. Rhonin is still there. Everything is normal.

    So is this coming in some patch or something that I haven't fully read? Or was the quest just something temporary? I mean I understand that the purge hasn't happened yet for a lot of characters simply cause they didn't do the quest yet. But from there I am sitting, I just should be "phased".

    Why hasn't this happened?

    Edit:

    Thanks all for the answer sofar. Just to sum up for me:

    You have:

    - old Dalaran near Southshore. Used to be Dalaran with a big Shield covering it. It is now a gaping hole in the ground. The timeline here is adjusted towards WOTLK.
    - WOTLK Dalaran, we can still go there. The timeline hasn't adjusted towards MoP Dalaran.
    - MoP Dalaran, you can only get there once via a quest to Purge the city of the Sunreaver influence.

    Where is the phasing? I mean Dalaran can still be hanging in Northrend for all I care? Quests make phasing happen all over the place since WOTLK. So why can't we have a purged Dalaran?

    That being said, do we have a destroyed Theramore? I haven't been there since the scenario. If that hasn't changed either, then that is fair. If it is changed (laid waste and horde patrolling it), it is unfair from my pov.

    Phasing is what should happen on both cases.
    Last edited by Vaelorian; 2013-02-07 at 03:05 PM.

  2. #2
    I still see way to many demons in outland.

    Gameplay is over lore, something I disagree to see but its how things work in wow since many years. It would be great to see outland without demons, Northrend more calm, gilneas with npcs but thats a lot of effort to Blizzard that they would not do that to please the RP players. We dont see these changes because of gameplay reasons.
    Last edited by Spanish4ever; 2013-02-07 at 01:29 PM.

  3. #3
    I assume you mean the Dalaran floating above the Crystalsong Forest? If so, that Dalaran is the Dalaran from the Wrath of the Lich King era, it's still in that time period.

    The Dalaran you visited during the purging was a Dalaran in the Mists of Pandaria era. As soon as you take a boat/zeppelin from Eastern Kingdoms or Kalimdor to Northrend, you're going back in time.

  4. #4
    For the same reason you meet the Lich King in many Northrend quests even though he's dead. Most of the continent is effectively in the past. Northrend Dalaran will probably never change unless they do another Cata style revamp. Dalaran is also tied to many quests, achievements, vendors and other things for both factions, so changing it wouldn't be a simple thing.

    Besides Dalaran shouldn't even be in Northrend if you wanted it to be accurate. It's currently flying over the ocean to an unknown destination.

  5. #5
    Epic! Demetrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    {◕ ◡ ◕}
    Posts
    1,503
    Different timelines, different behaviors.

  6. #6
    Hey OP, i have asked that myself over and over again, and to be honest i cant come to a conclusion that makes sense.

    I dont mind it with this particular thing, as i am not proud of what the alliance did there. I am rather ashamed as it contradicts everything the alliance stands for (in my eyes). So yeah i am not really unhappy that i dont get reminded about it every freaking time i goto dalaran. But i must admit as well that i dont really goto dalaran a lot after the purge. I know it happened even if i am not reminded every single time.

    On the other hand, you can bring too much logic/realism into a game. realism kills the game is a well known quote for a reason.
    If you look at it closeley with some brain, your next question will be: "Why can i still kill Garalon? We already killed him last week. Or even worse: "Hmmm a lifeform just has one life. So since (insert world firts topguild here) has slain the boss already, he should be dead for all the others as well. Maybe limited per server maybe over server boundaries.

    See where this leads? Somewhere you HAVE TO make a cut.

  7. #7
    Stood in the Fire Yossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Roma
    Posts
    463
    that damn Illidan still roaming in Outland...

  8. #8
    The Patient Arthrun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanish4ever View Post
    I still see way to many demons in outland.

    Gameplay is over lore, something I disagree to see but its how things work in wow since many years. It would be great to see outland without demons, Northrend more calm, gilneas with npcs but thats a lot of effort to Blizzard that they would not do that to please the RP players. We dont see these changes because of gameplay reasons.
    The demons in outland are explained with the new warlockquest.

    T: I have no idea.. I'd love for them to change it.
    Happiness!

    {◕ ◡ ◕}

  9. #9
    Scarab Lord Maxilian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Dominican Republic
    Posts
    4,691
    Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    Hey OP, i have asked that myself over and over again, and to be honest i cant come to a conclusion that makes sense.

    I dont mind it with this particular thing, as i am not proud of what the alliance did there. I am rather ashamed as it contradicts everything the alliance stands for (in my eyes). So yeah i am not really unhappy that i dont get reminded about it every freaking time i goto dalaran. But i must admit as well that i dont really goto dalaran a lot after the purge. I know it happened even if i am not reminded every single time.

    On the other hand, you can bring too much logic/realism into a game. realism kills the game is a well known quote for a reason.
    If you look at it closeley with some brain, your next question will be: "Why can i still kill Garalon? We already killed him last week. Or even worse: "Hmmm a lifeform just has one life. So since (insert world firts topguild here) has slain the boss already, he should be dead for all the others as well. Maybe limited per server maybe over server boundaries.

    See where this leads? Somewhere you HAVE TO make a cut.
    Northrend is in another timeline, for example: if you go to Dragonblight , you will still see blue dragons figthing red dragons, you will see them in war, or if you go to naxxramas (under naxxramas) you will see the alliance being under attack by naxxramas.

    The same happen with Outland, you will see some NPCs that should be dead, you can see Maiev trapped on shadowmoon valley, those place are in another timeline, that happen because it would be a pain for blizzard to change all content every expansion also that will take out the oportunity to a lot of players to see the old content

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by noteworthynerd View Post
    I assume you mean the Dalaran floating above the Crystalsong Forest? If so, that Dalaran is the Dalaran from the Wrath of the Lich King era, it's still in that time period.

    The Dalaran you visited during the purging was a Dalaran in the Mists of Pandaria era. As soon as you take a boat/zeppelin from Eastern Kingdoms or Kalimdor to Northrend, you're going back in time.
    Yes I accept that conclusion as truth. But where is the "future" Dalaran then? And would my Ring (which I got during WOTLK) ever transport me to the future Dalaran?

    And to everyone that makes my question silly like: you still see type X roaming around or you can still down bosses from the past... Really... so quests that we did with all the phasing... I imagined that? See what I mean?

    I am very much aware of different timelines. But I am also very much aware that Blizzard does a lot of phasing with Quests... Since this was a quest... I don't get it.
    Last edited by Vaelorian; 2013-02-07 at 02:14 PM.

  11. #11
    Titan Wildtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Iowa - Franconia
    Posts
    12,601
    Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    Hey OP, i have asked that myself over and over again, and to be honest i cant come to a conclusion that makes sense.
    The conclusion is very easy, and fast to achieve.
    It isn't possible for the game to be dynamic progressive. And I believe this is where the OP struggles.

    If that was the case, we couldn't even quest from Level 1 and forth.. Because then even the least important mob would live only for as long as it got killed the first time. Items to be collected would be gone for good, instead of respawns.... And the list goes on.
    To fix this, one would have to create a game which phases every single toon into it's own timeline. Those toons could only interact with other toons that are within the same timeline. Targets could only be killed once, and only by those who are in the same timeline for that target.
    That would turn into one hell of a mess. But then, it would be also very interesting and challenging. Toons would in fact have more reason to progress through content. It would be closer to a simulation of a toons life.
    I'm sure some people would not like playing such game, others would tho.

  12. #12
    The time line in wow is so fucked up its best just to shrug your shoulders and accept it

  13. #13
    Warchief Voyager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Soviet Union
    Posts
    2,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Yes I accept that conclusion as truth. But where is the "future" Dalaran then? And would my Ring (which I got during WOTLK) ever transport me to the future Dalaran?
    No, the real Dalaran will always remain in Northrend. The "new" Dalaran will most likely only be accessible during the quests and maybe during the raid.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    The conclusion is very easy, and fast to achieve.
    It isn't possible for the game to be dynamic progressive. And I believe this is where the OP struggles.

    If that was the case, we couldn't even quest from Level 1 and forth.. Because then even the least important mob would live only for as long as it got killed the first time. Items to be collected would be gone for good, instead of respawns.... And the list goes on.
    To fix this, one would have to create a game which phases every single toon into it's own timeline. Those toons could only interact with other toons that are within the same timeline. Targets could only be killed once, and only by those who are in the same timeline for that target.
    That would turn into one hell of a mess. But then, it would be also very interesting and challenging. Toons would in fact have more reason to progress through content. It would be closer to a simulation of a toons life.
    I'm sure some people would not like playing such game, others would tho.
    Also wrote a reply before you pressed enter that I would like to include here.

    Besides that: Levelling and killing random mobs have nothing to do with the Phasing we experience in WoW since Wrath of the Lich King. I am not asking a silly question in the way that I have the idea - everything should remain killed once it is killed. Games don't work that way (thankfully, let's be honest).

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 03:19 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
    No, the real Dalaran will always remain in Northrend. The "new" Dalaran will most likely only be accessible during the quests and maybe during the raid.
    If that will be so... that sucks....

    But again "if so" why is there a huge crater near Southshore where Dalaran once was? Why is that changed in the timeline and not this?

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    [/COLOR]If that will be so... that sucks.... But again "if so" why is there a huge crater near Southshore where Dalaran once was? Why is that changed in the timeline and not this?
    Sometimes they update the old world to represent changes in future expansions if the change is cosmetic, sometimes they can't. This is one of those times they can't. Why? Because Dalaran is a HUB CITY. It has banks, inns, merchants that sell gear for T8, 9, and 10. It has the Tuskarr for the Northrend Fishing Tournement, Daily Quests for Cooking Awards, Daily Fishing Quests, the entrance to a old dungeon, unique mounts and pet merchants, etc...

    Imagine if you are playing Horde, and you do the Purge of Dalaran storyline. You decide, "Hey maybe I want that Mammoth mount." You head to the portal room in the Vale only to find the Dalaran Portal now missing. You ask a few mages to portal you, but most can't because they also did the questline. You find a low level mage willing to do it, but now you are in Dalaran with all the NPCs hostile and ready to attack you. Good luck getting that Mammoth.

    That is why it will never be phased into an Alliance town.

  16. #16
    The fact that it's a tremendously powerful hub city in Alliance hands is also why I think it will either come to a bad end ("SHA-GARROSH SMASH! I will never use that ability again unless I hit my enrage timer. You must now do the rest of the raid on foot. Cheerio.") or be a hub city in a future expansion.

    Blizz has a weird attitude to time-dependent events and phasing. They removed the Battle for Undercity because they thought it would be too confusing for new players to have the twisted timeline shoved in their face (constant alternating Garrosh/Thrall as faction leader). There is a good chance it will be destroyed or made otherwise unavailable.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Grocalis View Post
    Sometimes they update the old world to represent changes in future expansions if the change is cosmetic, sometimes they can't. This is one of those times they can't. Why? Because Dalaran is a HUB CITY. It has banks, inns, merchants that sell gear for T8, 9, and 10. It has the Tuskarr for the Northrend Fishing Tournement, Daily Quests for Cooking Awards, Daily Fishing Quests, the entrance to a old dungeon, unique mounts and pet merchants, etc...

    Imagine if you are playing Horde, and you do the Purge of Dalaran storyline. You decide, "Hey maybe I want that Mammoth mount." You head to the portal room in the Vale only to find the Dalaran Portal now missing. You ask a few mages to portal you, but most can't because they also did the questline. You find a low level mage willing to do it, but now you are in Dalaran with all the NPCs hostile and ready to attack you. Good luck getting that Mammoth.

    That is why it will never be phased into an Alliance town.
    You forget one thing (but I can also see the truth of what you say). They can move anything to anywhere. Let the bank/vendors that was available to the horde be moved to Theramore or some other place.

    Any player that would level up would do so in the correct timeline. When they get to MoP and do the quest, they will from that moment on, not be welcome anymore in Dalaran. If Blizzard launches yet another expansion, no one in that expansion who is passed level 90 and not did the quest, would automatically not be welcome in Dalaran.

    The one thing they cannot really move imo is the dungeon Violet Hold. But they could still enter it, if you would fly to its entrance. The little roleplaying situation before the portals start spawning could be tweaked so horde would have no issues with the guards.



    Quote Originally Posted by Darmalus View Post
    The fact that it's a tremendously powerful hub city in Alliance hands is also why I think it will either come to a bad end ("SHA-GARROSH SMASH! I will never use that ability again unless I hit my enrage timer. You must now do the rest of the raid on foot. Cheerio.") or be a hub city in a future expansion.

    Blizz has a weird attitude to time-dependent events and phasing. They removed the Battle for Undercity because they thought it would be too confusing for new players to have the twisted timeline shoved in their face (constant alternating Garrosh/Thrall as faction leader). There is a good chance it will be destroyed or made otherwise unavailable.
    Yeah I didn't like that aspect about what blizzard is doing... Confusion for players who then see Thrall as leader and then later as shaman..... Really? Would Blizzard really cater to such folk? If you follow the entire storyline it is more then logical. Everyone levels so everyone would understand.

  18. #18
    This game has a story?
    Huh, who knew?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •