Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    Deleted

Scientists talk about human soul

Before the article, who these scientists are:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuart_Hameroff
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Penrose

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...ink-death.html

"A near-death experience happens when quantum substances which form the soul leave the nervous system and enter the universe at large, according to a remarkable theory proposed by two eminent scientists.

According to this idea, consciousness is a program for a quantum computer in the brain which can persist in the universe even after death, explaining the perceptions of those who have near-death experiences.

Dr Stuart Hameroff, Professor Emeritus at the Departments of Anesthesiology and Psychology and the Director of the Centre of Consciousness Studies at the University of Arizona, has advanced the quasi-religious theory.

It is based on a quantum theory of consciousness he and British physicist Sir Roger Penrose have developed which holds that the essence of our soul is contained inside structures called microtubules within brain cells.

They have argued that our experience of consciousness is the result of quantum gravity effects in these microtubules, a theory which they dubbed orchestrated objective reduction (Orch-OR).

Thus it is held that our souls are more than the interaction of neurons in the brain. They are in fact constructed from the very fabric of the universe - and may have existed since the beginning of time.

The concept is similar to the Buddhist and Hindu belief that consciousness is an integral part of the universe - and indeed that it is really all there may be, a position similar to Western philosophical idealism.

With these beliefs, Dr Hameroff holds that in a near-death experience the microtubules lose their quantum state, but the information within them is not destroyed. Instead it merely leaves the body and returns to the cosmos.
    Shocked back to life: The theory holds that when patients have a near death experience their quantum soul is released from the body and re-enters the cosmos, before returning when they are revived

Shocked back to life: The theory holds that when patients have a near death experience their quantum soul is released from the body and re-enters the cosmos, before returning when they are revived

Dr Hameroff told the Science Channel's Through the Wormhole documentary: 'Let's say the heart stops beating, the blood stops flowing, the microtubules lose their quantum state.

'The quantum information within the microtubules is not destroyed, it can't be destroyed, it just distributes and dissipates to the universe at large.

'If the patient is resuscitated, revived, this quantum information can go back into the microtubules and the patient says "I had a near death experience".'

He adds: 'If they're not revived, and the patient dies, it's possible that this quantum information can exist outside the body, perhaps indefinitely, as a soul.'
    Evidence: Dr Hameroff believes new findings about the role quantum physics plays in biological processes, such as the navigation of birds, will one day prove his theory

Evidence: Dr Hameroff believes new findings about the role quantum physics plays in biological processes, such as the navigation of birds, will one day prove his theory

The Orch-OR theory has come in for heavy criticism by more empirically minded thinkers and remains controversial among the scientific community.

MIT physicist Max Tegmark is just one of the many scientists to have challenged it, in a 2000 paper that is widely cited by opponents, the Huffington Post reports.

Nevertheless, Dr Hameroff believes that research in to quantum physics is beginning to validate Orch-Or, with quantum effects recently being shown to support many important biological processes, such as smell, bird navigation and photosynthesis."

Edit: more articles and youtube for it to be a bit more clear and less-tabloid like. I am looking for the actual study and if I can, I will post a link, until then:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIyEjh6ef_8
    http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/.../QSoulchap.pdf

Think I found part of the actual theory in a non-tabloid form:
    http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/...ff/orchor.html
    Last edited by mmoc994dcc48c2; 2013-01-30 at 08:53 PM.

I'll remain very skeptical until they present evidence.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    There have been all sorts of papers published about how birds navigate accurately and I highly doubt any of that will actually help him here. Also...this is far from a scientific theory. Kind of a hypothesis at this point.

There are plenty of good explanations for near-death experiences that don't need to invoke magic as an explanation... those experiences can even be induced on demand based on the predictions those theories make... you don't even need to stop someone's heart to pull it off.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds to me like wishful thinking causing the scientists to formulate theories that make them feel more secure.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

This is Grade A woo-woo.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

So.... Why would the "microtubules" lose their "quantum state" when we die ? And why do they regain it when we come back alive ? Do these guys even know what a quantum state is ?

The whole "consciouness arises from quantum stuff" stuff is interesting, but this thing in particular looks like 99% bullshit.

Life is insanely complex, and it is very ignorant for us to assume we know even the smallest bit about it, and how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Life is insanely complex, and it is very ignorant for us to assume we know even the smallest bit about it, and how it works.
    Speak for yourself
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Pilobolus View Post
    Kind of a hypothesis at this point.
    Good luck getting funding for testing

---------- Post added 2013-01-30 at 10:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    Yes, but assuming a mystical or supernatural process because you can't fathom the complexity is another type of ignorance.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yay dailymail my favourite "news" site.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    There are plenty of good explanations for near-death experiences that don't need to invoke magic as an explanation... those experiences can even be induced on demand based on the predictions those theories make... you don't even need to stop someone's heart to pull it off.
    Article relevant to the above in case anyone is interested. Pretty fascinating stuff.

I try to keep an open mind but it's hard to not remain sceptical.

its rather amusing how the word quantum has become the go-to word to mean "science-like magic that no one can possibly understand"

also, are these two guys saying that microtubules, part of the cell support structure, also hold our consciousness and interact with quantum gravity? Because that's quite the double function.

Deleted
    I don't trust that source, it's not the best news site for scientific discoveries exactly.

I don't believe in souls, ghost or whatever, still i think that the stories are fascinating. If i remember corretly, your brain is still working when you die for a few seconds. So i believe that it's only the brain playing tricks when someone have a near death experience, similar to our dreams.
    When you're asleep and someone snaps it's fingers close to you. Your brain may create an illusion/dream where you're watching fireworks. The brain is working, but you're still unconscious to world around you. Perhaps the near death experiences are similar to those experiences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haftepaff View Post
    I don't trust that source, it's not the best news site for scientific discoveries exactly.

I don't believe in souls, ghost or whatever, still i think that the stories are fascinating. If i remember corretly, your brain is still working when you die for a few seconds. So i believe that it's only the brain playing tricks when someone have a near death experience, similar to our dreams.
    When you're asleep and someone snaps it's fingers close to you. Your brain may create an illusion/dream where you're watching fireworks. The brain is working, but you're still unconscious to world around you. Perhaps the near death experiences are similar to those experiences.
    On the chance there is actually something after then what then for you? Question for everyone.

An interesting idea, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Haftepaff View Post
    If i remember corretly, your brain is still working when you die for a few seconds. So i believe that it's only the brain playing tricks when someone have a near death experience, similar to our dreams.
    It doesn't even have to be that involved. Close your eyes for a second. Do you see total blackness? Or do you see light streaks caused by the blood vessels in your eyelids?
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think he is trying too hard.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose