Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

2nd grader suspended for pretending to throw imaginary grenade

So a 2nd grader was suspended for pretending to throw an imaginary grenade... really? :

http://www.stopidiocy.com/2013/02/im...al-suspension/

The kid didn't throw anything. He was playing an imaginary game in his head that happened to involve throwing a grenade.

The article lists a bunch of other schools where kids where suspended for playing with pretend guns or talking about them in the last few weeks. I realize that people are on edge after the recent school shootings but isn't this a bit ridiculous??

Hehe, me and my elementary friends would have been expelled if that were the case. We used sticks and rocks as our grenades and guns. Also drew detailed stick figure wars during class.
    These schools are just trying to prevent over concerned crazy parents from being over concerned crazy parents by showing that they are taking some sort of action, (and it's happened before, it isn't anything new) otherwise the parents would try and sue them for every inch of cash they have because "little Timmy's friends were being a bad influence and the school never did a thing about it."
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-02-07 at 02:01 PM.

Schools really are taking things overboard anymore. I don't think a suspension (a punishment to show it's "wrong" to do that) is comprehended by a second grader. My daughter is in kindergarten, they sent a booklet home showing that they teached the kids about "secret touches" (their words, not mine) and what to do if someone want to have a "secret touch". I'm know you can't be specific talking about in schools, but do they honestly think a kid is going to know what they mean by a "secret touch"? It's not like pervs say "Hey little girl, do you wanna do a secret touch?"

This is just like the story of the bubble blowing hello kitty gun. What "exactly" was done wrong there? Is it because the girl brought an item with the word "gun" in it? Do teachers/principles/school administrators have ANY brains at all?

Deleted
    The school enforces a list of “ABSOLUTES,” an agenda of rules that cannot be broken, designed to “make Mary Blair a safe environment.”
    The first two items on the list are: “No Weapons (real or play) source

Whilst I think a suspension is a bit extreme and a warning may have been in order, we have no real way of knowing if the child involved was warned prior to the incident.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Schools really are taking things overboard anymore. I don't think a suspension (a punishment to show it's "wrong" to do that) is comprehended by a second grader.
    It's definitely not understood. There is a video linked to in the article where they interviewed the kid that got suspended and he kept calling it a "dispension" and obviously didn't get what it meant.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    This is just like the story of the bubble blowing hello kitty gun. What "exactly" was done wrong there? Is it because the girl brought an item with the word "gun" in it? Do teachers/principles/school administrators have ANY brains at all?
    Yeah, the article has a link to that story too at the end. The girl didn't even bring the hello kitty gun into school - she just talked about it to her friend.

Must....resist.... ahhh shit, I just can't.

Stupid people be stupid. When I think back to my 2nd grade time, we were fighting each others with rocks instead of imaginary things.

Schools now overreact to every little shit because they fear... yeah, what do they actually fear? Lawsuits? That the 2nd grader is going to steal his fathers gun and stop playing pretend?

Or there is maybe more to this story and we just don't know about it. Maybe this kid did it on a regular basis and his parents are known gun freaks who also happen to have a bunch of grenades lying around their basement and everyone knows about it. School is now afraid the kid might go berserk and blow them all up. Thus, they send him home for two days... to prove a point... namely: blowing up things is bad. mmmhkay.

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    The school enforces a list of “ABSOLUTES,” an agenda of rules that cannot be broken, designed to “make Mary Blair a safe environment.”
    The first two items on the list are: “No Weapons (real or play) source

Whilst I think a suspension is a bit extreme and a warning may have been in order, we have no real way of knowing if the child involved was warned prior to the incident.
    He didn't have a "real" or "play" weapon. He was using his imagination. There is a pretty big difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    Used to play "Kiss chasey" back in 4-5th grade, guess the School deems that bannable because children might become rapists later on in their lives, yet here I am a guy that respects women. Cops and baddies was another one we played back in the day, guess they think children might become law breakers? Get real society, these activities/games have been played by children for years! A lot of those people that participated in said activities have grown up to be respectful people. It's just a way of having fun and passing the time during "Recess"

It's not the harmless activities we involved ourselves in as children, it's the parents that don't want to take the blame for poor parenting so they point fingers at the next best thing, their child's imagination for f***'s sake.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2013-02-07 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Swears

10+ Year Old Account
    School is no place for imagination! This wanton imagining of stuff is the first step towards actually creating a weapon using his imagination, or something.

Deleted
    Overreaction and a braindead solution to the current problem of guns.. Assinine

10+ Year Old Account
    Not to long ago 20 elementary school children were shot during school hours. So I can kinda understand them getting a little paranoid. To suspend the kid after they found out that there was no actual weapon is kind of harsh, but, in a way, I understand why the did it.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

Deleted
    let's suspend children for being children.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proberly View Post
    let's suspend children for being children.
    Right? It's stupid, I feel sorry for the kids of today, they can't have the fun we used to have.

kids arent even allowed jungle gyms anymore....its crazy

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Zero tolerance policies: Letting teachers and school administrators skirt their responsibilities almost completely.

It's your job to mold the next generation into capable and rational people. Suspending someone for something like this doesn't teach them anything. A simple "Now, <student>, this isn't an appropriate place to make violent gestures like that." would be lightyears ahead in what they're supposed to do.

I guess people got a bit paranoid in the United States after all the tragedies and the one that recently happened.
    It's overboard (except if he was throwing heavy rocks that hurt other kids).

Or maybe it's just too early to pretend to play soldier and kill others in a game (having fun) due to recent events as that was not funny at all and thus kids should not play or make fun about killing others.
    I guess this is the reason for the school's action however playing GI joe, cowboy,... is from all times. Little kids always play games that are extreme as the understanding things in between black and white comes later. In such games you either die or live happy ever after, you don't survive eg. with a shell in your head that makes it hard to understand emotions or as only of a whole breed. Kids don't think about "war" in that way, for them there are only heroes and villains, however their teachers don't see any winners in the last high school tragedy and maybe that's the reason for the punishment that is quite over the top.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    Not to long ago 20 elementary school children were shot during school hours. So I can kinda understand them getting a little paranoid. To suspend the kid after they found out that there was no actual weapon is kind of harsh, but, in a way, I understand why the did it.
    I get that too, but shouldn't the worry be about gun control laws / safety / handling / storing firearms ??
    When i was young we used to do anything between playing indian and cowboys to throwing rocks at each other....
    So far none that i grow up with has became a psycho, murderer or school shooter...matter of fact most of them have good normal lifes with career and wifes/gf's...

Limiting the children/youths imagination can never be a good thing imo.
    And i know its easy for me to say without children, but god dammit, step up at parents if you that paranoid, be involved more!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    These kids who imagine things may never conform to the system the government has in place. Suspending them shows that resistance will not be tolerated, and that you will become a drone regardless of your own desires. Yes.... I'm onto them.

Now, where'd I leave my tinfoil hat?
    America's schools seem to be becoming like the film Equilibrium, but in the sense that it forbids imagining or playing instead of emotions, under the threat of punishment. It's worrying for me and I don't even live there.

Man, I used to make marker tattoos of swords and shit when I was in elementary school. Like, I'd draw them on paper and color them in very well with market, then get the paper wet and apply to skin. Worked really well and if you used the right markers they didn't wash off immediately.

I hate the education system in the western world.

It is a place where stupid failures rule over small young people, and go on power trips. Some of our local schools were suspending girls who wear "seductive underwear".

Now, how would a teacher know, and why are they looking? How does the underwear someone is wearing impact their education? Schools are a shit hole!