Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ...
17
25
26
27
28
LastLast
  1. #521
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    OP reminds me of the typical Leftist conspiracy theorist that are just so damn easy to dislike. If I had the physical health required of a soldier i'd happily do their job, and regarding why, Orwell summed it up quite succinctly;
    Even tho those rough man are honest in their duty, those who command them are not. It's all about fucking money and they are using those rough man's patriotic feelings as well as regular citizens.

  2. #522
    The Unstoppable Force RICH8472's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK, Nexus
    Posts
    20,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    So are you saying that that mentality - follow orders, don't ask questions, don't disobey, don't think - is not part of our military?

    No, of course it is. And again, it's not something that should be respected, when it's so easily abused.
    Thats bollocks, we are encouraged to think for ourselves, you are supposed to disobey orders if they are unjust.

  3. #523
    Warchief Reqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,110
    It's actually a military duty to refuse an order if it is unjust.

    There seems to be this myth that military personnel sit in dark rooms being ordered to shoot everyone they come into contact with, or that every round fired is only fired because they've been ordered to do so.

    Orders are given and military personnel conduct themselves according to their training, rules of engagement, personal conduct within those general framework.

    Order: "Capture compound (x)"
    Action: Capture compound (x) whilst adapting to situations encountered whilst on task.

    That's how it actually goes down. What happens inbetween is invariably down to the soldier holding the weapon kicking in the door of compound (x) not because they were ordered to behave in a specific manner.
    Last edited by Reqq; 2013-02-08 at 03:46 PM.

  4. #524
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    So you regret our funding of the Afghan Mujihadeen which broke the back of the Soviet Red Army in the 1980s, delivering upon the USSR a gangrenous wound that made Vietnam look like a mere slap to the face?
    The most funny part about your invasion in Afghan is that drugs export from this country increased by several times comparing to so called "terrorist's" ruling, who has been actually destroying opium fields. Yeah, drug dealing clearly fits into concept of freedom and country defense.
    The Mists of Pandaria coming on September 25

  5. #525
    Brewmaster Ysilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Many different places
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Interesting point. I personally hadn't thought of it like that.
    Well, original post style isn't very clear, but that's how I interpreted it. But well, as soon as you say anything "wrong" about military, people just should back at you "but they're very nice people !" and get flagged as anti-patriotic or things like that, unless you talk about some exceptional media covered cases of torture or such (and even in this case, some people will still do that). This is kind of sad, makes talking seriously about their actions a real pain in a lot of countries.

    One can be admiring of the faith/devotion these people put in their job, while criticizing them for lots of the actions they do. And this has nothing to do with being "anti-patriotic" or something like that. On the contrary, criticizing military can be a very patriotic act, if you believe they don't serve the interest or image of the country you live in. And I personally think this is something everyone living in a militarized country should think about.

  6. #526
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethas View Post
    The most funny part about your invasion in Afghan is that drugs export from this country increased by several times comparing to so called "terrorist's" ruling, who has been actually destroying opium fields. Yeah, drug dealing clearly fits into concept of freedom and country defense.
    as far as i know, that´s a very dilemma down there, the only solution for the farmers is to grow opium because the cartells actually pick that shit right up at the farm and so the likelyness of being robbed is pretty much zero... so the unstable situation causes the farmers to work for the cartell to not lose everything thats left
    secretly gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Remember, a firearm homicide is not always firearm violence.

  7. #527
    Blademaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    U Aware?
    Posts
    27
    For the majority of us it is a moot point what they we are fighting for. We risk our lives for our brothers in arms to make sure each and every one of us comes back from this shit hole in one piece, I could really care less what "people" think we are fighting for.

    If you have an issue with the reason, take it up with your elected representative.

    -SSG C, U.S Army....via Afghanistan.

  8. #528
    LOL funny thread...

    Two thoughts for you:

    1. No middle east country is a threat to the US? Please visit the families of the WTC victims and tell them that, I'm sure it'll comfort them.
    2. If you're a solider and have given an oath to obey orders (or you get sent to prison and shit), would you rather make yourself believe you were doing it for a righteous reason or prefer to believe you're just blindly murdering people and families because some dick that you don't even like told you to for a reason not even he understands?

    Think about that and then get back to me, k?

  9. #529
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Thats bollocks, we are encouraged to think for ourselves, you are supposed to disobey orders if they are unjust.
    that´s somehow strange... if everyone is encouraged to think for themselves, why do unjust orders appear in the first place?
    secretly gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Remember, a firearm homicide is not always firearm violence.

  10. #530
    Warchief Reqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    that´s somehow strange... if everyone is encouraged to think for themselves, why do unjust orders appear in the first place?
    Question of what you perceive to be unjust. I never once thought "This is wrong." It all felt very right!

  11. #531
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Question of what you perceive to be unjust. I never once thought "This is wrong." It all felt very right!
    that doesn´t make sense then... there have to be some rules applied
    secretly gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Remember, a firearm homicide is not always firearm violence.

  12. #532
    Pit Lord Geminiwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Demon Realm
    Posts
    2,310
    While I have no comment on the whole fighting for freedom/defense of our country, I would just like to say that those shootings that happened were not really an act of terrorism. Those people were just not right in the head and thought it was a good idea to shoot people for some reason. Terrorism is different. I mean killing is killing but when you compare terrorism to deranged murderers it changes. To say that those shooters were terrorists you are calling every single murderer out there a terrorist. Those kind of people kill because their fucked up brain is telling them to do so. Terrorists kill because they have a reason behind it whether it's stupid religion or whatever.

    Here's a definition of terrorist from Dictionary.com: "a person, usually a member of a group, who uses or advocates terrorism."

    Also terrorism:
    1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.
    2. the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.
    3. a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

    So I'm pretty sure those shooters weren't terrorists nor do I think they were committing any act of terrorism.
    Last edited by Geminiwolf; 2013-02-08 at 04:57 PM.
    “Ever wonder why ice cubes taste so boring? It’s cuz you make ‘em outta stupid water, you bimbo! Put some fruit juice in there and freeze it into ice cubes, and put THAT in your milk.”
    "One small mankind and I'm gonna leap the heck outta this moon rocket." - Kneel Aurmstrang
    For your health.

  13. #533
    Warchief Reqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    that doesn´t make sense then... there have to be some rules applied
    You mean "Rules of engagement"? They exist.

  14. #534
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    You mean "Rules of engagement"? They exist.
    then they must apply to the one who orders and the one who obeys, well i have to leave now, read you all soon
    secretly gay

    Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    Remember, a firearm homicide is not always firearm violence.

  15. #535
    The Unstoppable Force RICH8472's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    UK, Nexus
    Posts
    20,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    that´s somehow strange... if everyone is encouraged to think for themselves, why do unjust orders appear in the first place?
    The rules of engagement are drilled into every soldiers head until they know them backwards.

  16. #536
    Warchief Reqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    then they must apply to the one who orders and the one who obeys, well i have to leave now, read you all soon
    They do. I think I know what you're getting at - but if the person giving the order believes it to be just to, say, kill a target - that's what he'll order his troops to do. If the order is perceived as unjust a soldier would refuse the order.

    Rules of engagement don't have any bearing in the moral decision of choosing targets, they just dictate the actions taken when you encounter either the specific target, other targets or other people in the target area.

  17. #537
    Quote Originally Posted by volkanik View Post
    Every time I hear someone talk about the military and how thankful they are for them for fighting for our freedom and defending our country, I just die a little inside, and seriously want to punch a hole in the wall with my head.
    Then feel free to do so. I'm not American, but the way I see it, what's good for USA is good for the whole secular Western world and its friends.

  18. #538
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemair View Post
    You don't need to understand how things work to understand that the USA has the biggest debt in the world. It doesn't matter how much money your country makes, it is impossible to pay off a singular trillion dollar loan, let alone $16.481 trillion. This in turn makes the USA debt status - 3rd world. If they took the entire populace of the United Status and demanded that they pay every cent they have borrowed from China, your country would be 3rd world as a whole. Even if that happened, you would still have trillions and trillions of dollars to still pay off. THEREFORE if your country stopped borrowing money all together, your infrastructure would collapse and the entire civilization of the United States would be "poor".

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 03:16 AM ----------



    Saddam improved the economic state of Iraq and kept it on a steady progressive line, now it is in a constant state of decline. Was invading it good? Was it bad? I can't say that wrecking an entire countries economic welfare over a singular man was a good idea, that's up to you though.
    You only show your ignorance of Saddam's regime and of Iraq when you say things like this.

  19. #539
    Dreadlord Felicia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Oak Harbor, Washington
    Posts
    870
    My husband is an AE in the Navy. Stationed in Pensacola, FL. He joined because he wants to play a part, but he mostly joined so I could have access to health insurance that doesn't discriminate to people with chronic conditions. And he also wants to go back to school, and this was truly the only way we could get on our feet. The area we live in is like quick sand, you keep sinking and you die :/ Needed to get out of here.

    Also, my dad is a desert storm vet. And my grandpa is a vietnam vet... my husband's grandpa is a WWII vet. So, yeah... I think they go over to protect this country. Whether that's how they view it or not, that's essentially what they sign up to do. Sign yourself over, to protect America's interests. Whether's it's oil, terrorism, or whatever else is out there.

  20. #540
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    You only show your ignorance of Saddam's regime and of Iraq when you say things like this.
    So destroying an entire country over Saddam's regime was a good idea? Because it was prospering before the US invaded.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •