Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
16
... LastLast
  1. #101
    Herald of the Titans Uzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moravia
    Posts
    2,919
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Afghanistan never had a society when I was there, it was all tribes beating the shit out of each other or a corrupt local Government official taking bribes.
    I didn't mean the time before the latest Afghan war, I mean way back before the Cold War times.

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 04:51 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Not to mention having sex with children and repressing women. Awesome society.
    I'm not saying it was perfect, but I don't see how decades of fighting on their soil makes it any better?

  2. #102
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Afghanistan never had a society when I was there, it was all tribes beating the shit out of each other or a corrupt local Government official taking bribes.
    Just a day ago there was a thread where Afghanistan was shown before the superpowers decided to start smaking it, which you even posted on. Now you´re sweping this crap?

  3. #103
    Simply put I only support the troops who have actually defended my country from countries that wish to invade us.
    I have no respect for any soldier or law enforcement officer who does what they do simply because a so called higher authority tells them to.

    A soldiers mightiest weapon should be their own judgement and should that judgement cause them to disobey orders so be it, send that soldier to trial so the public can decide if he/she was right to disobey orders and if that soldier should be punished or not.

    And lets be honest some commanding officers simply deserve to be shot in the face by their subordinates.

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Afghanistan never had a society when I was there, it was all tribes beating the shit out of each other or a corrupt local Government official taking bribes.
    I've never looked at another society like that and thought, "Yeah, I really want to go FIX them."

    It's also impossible. We cannot. We can't change another society to be like ours and even hope for success. It happens naturally, or not at all. War does not fix it. Killing people to change how they live is insane.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    So to summarize, you believe that our government can do anything it likes to or with its people, regardless of the wishes of the populace.

    I disagree wholeheartedly. It wouldn't even need to be about elections, if everyone who was drafted moved to Canada instead (for example) - such a measure would fail completely. We still have some control over our government, and if an action that was so completely opposed by the people were taken, we could prevent it. The average person doesn't care (or isn't smart) enough about what's happening day to day in politics, but if the government suddenly started taking all male 18 year olds and sending them off to foreign countries to die in war, you can bet public opinion would change pretty quick.
    I didn't say that I think they can do anything they like. They would most certainly try if they thought it was the only way for them to maintain their interests and assets overseas and/or in hostile territories. If everyone that got drafted was able to successful dodge then sure, it would fall apart, but your idea hinges on Canada (for example) actually wanting those people or accepting them. It also hinges on those people having the ability to get to any place that would take them. I did say it would be an ugly situation, and I did say that it may not work out the way the government would want it, but they would try because they do have that resource available to them. It's a moot point though, it's never going to happen, there are too many people (thankfully) willing to serve. If it did happen though, it would be ugly for everyone.

  6. #106
    Warchief Reqq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,110
    Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    I've never looked at another society like that and thought, "Yeah, I really want to go FIX them."
    Rough translation: Not my problem, don't care.

  7. #107
    Fix a society by killing people? Best idea ever or just plain strange? You decide!

    What if someone decides that we need to be "fixed"? It would be okay for people to invade us right? They are just trying to "fix" us after all.

  8. #108
    Nobody in this thread seems to understand. We are at war because the military industrial complex needs war to make money, so they bribe politicians to start wars. And then, there are companies that come after we invaded to rebuild the country with no bid contracts (such as Dick Cheney's company in Iraq). Then whatever resources they have get exchanged for us rebuilding after we destroyed the country. I've seen this called neocolonialism.

    9/11 didn't happen because they hate our freedoms. It happened because the US has interfered with the Middle East far too much. We put brutal dictators in power when these countries wanted to become modern nations. We support Israel, whom has basically stolen all the land from the Palestinians and none of the western nations seem to care about it. The word "terrorist" is a code word to start wars. Mali apparently has terrorists now, but it is really because the western nations want their resources. The troop worship that happens is to neuter attempts to protest the wars because as evidenced, we have people saying they are fighting for your freedoms and people acting like service men and women are holy people. This is what the propaganda wants you to think so the US and other western nations has free reign to exploit 3rd world nations.

    Let us not forget to mention that the US has killed hundreds of thousands of Arab civilians during these wars, with drone strikes hitting weddings and funerals. All we are really doing is creating more terrorists so the war never ends.

  9. #109
    Herald of the Titans Uzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Moravia
    Posts
    2,919
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Rough translation: Not my problem, don't care.
    I definitely think we should care, but bullets don't fix it. Seriously, I think that the whole Africa and most of Asia is good enough proof that our military interventions haven't led to a good end.

  10. #110
    The Patient BaP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Zul'jin
    Posts
    238
    Quote Originally Posted by volkanik View Post
    What are your thoughts on these people? Every time I hear someone talk about the military and how thankful they are for them for fighting for our freedom and defending our country, I just die a little inside, and seriously want to punch a hole in the wall with my head. No they are not fighting for our freedom, and no they are not defending our country. No country in the Middle East is a serious threat to the United States. Their response: "But we're over there to combat terrorism". Wake the fuck up, terrorists are everywhere. That guy that shot a bunch of kids in that Sandy Hook elementary school, terrorist. That guy that shot all those people in that movie theater in Colorado, terrorist. That guy that shot a crap ton of people in Norway, terrorist. You can not go to a specific part of the world in hopes of combating an idea. It's simply propaganda.

    The only time they are defending us is if our country is in danger like when Japan bombed the shit out of Pearl Harbor in WW2.
    The op's post is about the USA, not
    Daerio Under the leadership of the democratically elected nationalist movement of Dr. Mohammed Mosaddeq, the Iranian parliament unanimously voted to nationalize the oil industry – thus shutting out the immensely profitable Anglo-Iranian Oil Company (AIOC), which was a pillar of Britain's economy and provided it political clout in the region.
    I read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Reza_Pahlavi and can not find where it says the USA invaded and stole OIL from this or any country ??

  11. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by BaP View Post
    lol I'm sorry, but I just can't res pone to your paranoid thinking without laughing, is it possible we have bases in Europe to help defend that part of the world, do you think if the USA had bases there before Hitler took power maybe the Holocaust wouldn't have happened??
    Or are you one of those that think the Holocaust was a lie and the USA invaded Germany for their OIL??? lol
    You've gone off on a bit of a tangent here, and you are no longer making coherent arguments. (if you ever did) Who are we defending Europe from? Are they not capable of defending themselves? I don't remember them asking the US for help. Why are we there?

    Again, we have naval and air superiority. This enables us to be the most mobile military in the world. Why do we also need ground bases everywhere in the world? You cannot answer these questions, because there is no reasonable answer.

  12. #112
    I didn't say they were.... I said that is where I made my choice to give up college and go into the Marine Corps. Trust me, I said my opinions on why we were there may have changed over a few deployments, but we did do some good while we over there as well...

  13. #113
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlon View Post
    Just a day ago there was a thread where Afghanistan was shown before the superpowers decided to start smaking it, which you even posted on. Now you´re sweping this crap?
    From the 60s. Now take a second to apply some critical thinking.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

  14. #114
    The Lightbringer Deadvolcanoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Connecticut, USA
    Posts
    3,599
    Quote Originally Posted by volkanik View Post
    That guy that shot a bunch of kids in that Sandy Hook elementary school, terrorist. That guy that shot all those people in that movie theater in Colorado, terrorist. That guy that shot a crap ton of people in Norway, terrorist.
    Adam Lanza and James Holmes were not terrorists. Brevik was a terrorist because his violence had a political motivation.

    Overall, your post is uninformed, unintelligent, insulting, and just plain boring.

    I award you no points....
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

  15. #115
    as a part of the Danish army, i werry much believe the international war effort in the middle east is helping a lot.

    As a civilian, you do not have the same insight, or first hand experience on what is going on down there.

    Perhaps we are not defending our own country's as it is right now, we are helping them regain their country from terrorist groups like Al'quaida and Taliban.

    and seen in a long time perspective, yes, we are defending ourselfs by reducing the potential threat.




    When the war started, most children in afghanistan didn't have any school, no education. Now, they do. And it is our duty to try and make sure it stays that way. Because if we pack our bags and leave, terrorists will be swarming the place like vultures on a corpse in the desert.

    Young girls is being tortured and killed for wanting an education. Don't you think we have to do something to defend their human rights?

  16. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by BaP View Post
    I read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Reza_Pahlavi and can not find where it says the USA invaded and stole OIL from this or any country ??
    Continue to choose to not see, it doesn't bother me. It's a well known, well confirmed fact that our government has done such things. If you choose to BELIEVE them not to be true, it's very similar to BELIEVING the holocaust did not occur (which is something you accused me of, lol) despite the CONFIRMED FACTS to the contrary.
    Last edited by Daerio; 2013-02-07 at 04:01 PM.

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Garkanh View Post
    as a part of the Danish army, i werry much believe the international war effort in the middle east is helping a lot.

    As a civilian, you do not have the same insight, or first hand experience on what is going on down there.

    Perhaps we are not defending our own country's as it is right now, we are helping them regain their country from terrorist groups like Al'quaida and Taliban.

    and seen in a long time perspective, yes, we are defending ourselfs by reducing the potential threat.




    When the war started, most children in afghanistan didn't have any school, no education. Now, they do. And it is our duty to try and make sure it stays that way. Because if we pack our bags and leave, terrorists will be swarming the place like vultures on a corpse in the desert.

    Young girls is being tortured and killed for wanting an education. Don't you think we have to do something to defend their human rights?
    ^^^ this.. as a prior Marine this about sums it up. Civilians do not have the same insight, and for every action there is a conspiracy theory, and they believe we just blindly follow orders and have no perception of what is going on, or what we are affecting whether good or bad.

  18. #118
    Quote Originally Posted by Garkanh View Post
    Young girls is being tortured and killed for wanting an education. Don't you think we have to do something to defend their human rights?
    Killing people to do so isn't the right way. There are other ways.

  19. #119
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    457
    Quote Originally Posted by volkanik View Post
    What are your thoughts on these people? Every time I hear someone talk about the military and how thankful they are for them for fighting for our freedom and defending our country, I just die a little inside, and seriously want to punch a hole in the wall with my head. No they are not fighting for our freedom, and no they are not defending our country. No country in the Middle East is a serious threat to the United States.
    Posts like these make me die a bit inside. When I joined the Army, I did so to serve and protect my country and I would do it again. What really gets me is the ungrateful fvcks such as you that have little to no respect for this country or those that put their lives on the line for what they believe is right. The old saying is still true to this day. You hate us during peace time (or when we are not under direct attack) but love us when you need someone to fight to make sure your sorry a$$ continues to enjoy the rights and privileges you take for granted all the time.

    If you think that no country in the middle east can be a threat to the United States, then you sir/madam need your head examined.

    I expect this kind of nonsense to come from someone not from the US because they just love to hate us, but it's truly pathetic when coming from a US citizen. Please leave.

  20. #120
    Quote Originally Posted by Holidae View Post
    From the 60s. Now take a second to apply some critical thinking.
    My point illustrates that the country was far better off before The Soviet Union and US tried to play chess using foreign countries.

    Anyway, you have no argument, what are you even doing here?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •