Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Last I checked the military does what the government tells it to, a government which the people voted for. By extension, the military serves in the perceived public's interest, it's not the soldiers fault he was a soldier in a time where they sent him somewhere controversial.

Quote Originally Posted by volkanik View Post
    Yes I'm more mad at the politicians, but at the same time if less people joined the military, maybe they would get the hint.
    Simply by having an army is a deterrent for invasion, like it or not you need us. Its a dangerous job and someone has to do it, its not easy either.
    Last edited by Toccs; 2013-02-07 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    Simply by having an army stops any ideas of invasion, like it or not you need us.
    If military enrollment decreased to the point of it being unrealistic for our government to maintain bases around the world (including friendly countries that we still 'occupy') and engage in unwarranted warfare -

Who would 'invade' us?

Quote Originally Posted by Felfury View Post
    Last I checked the military does what the government tells it to
    To an extent, if I remember correctly if an order is clearly unconstitutional it doesn't have to be followed.

Although there will most likely be a court martial (trial) to determine if this insubordination was warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    If military enrollment decreased to the point of it being unrealistic for our government to maintain bases around the world (including friendly countries that we still 'occupy') and engage in unwarranted warfare -

Who would 'invade' us?
    I don't know...

It must be the same invisible army that invades Canada every year!

LOL

10+ Year Old Account
    Iraq - currently

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1954_Gu..._d%27%C3%A9tat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Reza_Pahlavi

There are a lot of examples, actually. South America and the Middle East.
    First heres the post I am refering to,
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonnica View Post
    They are defending/fighting for the country's interest, Oil.
    Never really been about freedom or a war on terror, just Oil.

In my eyes (Im not from US btw) they are just makeing sure that other cant have freedom.. or money.
    Your posts have 0 to do with what I asked, none any of your references prove they were done for oil or money!!

Who would 'invade' us?
    Who knows, The distant future is unpredictable. Superpowers rise and fall, Their intentions are not always for the best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    Taking it would be too obvious. You just have to install corrupt puppet regimes that take bribes and sell their countries riches for a fraction of their value.
    You sir are just spreading rumor with no real facts to back your lies !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by volkanik View Post
    I would fight for my own survival.
    And you think that the Military just goes around picking fights because they think it is some game? Despite what people think, the Military isn't run like that ...

Who would 'invade' us?
    No idea, but i'm talking about an army that's kept at home, not overseas. Times change.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I respect those people doing their military service. Most of them that I've known have been pretty awesome. One of my frequent travel destinations is right next to an army base and it's a pretty common occurrence to run into soldiers in local businesses. Thus far they've all been absolutely polite and respectful, and helpful when I've had an inquiry. That alone is worthy of respect in a day and age when the average person has no manners to speak of. When I was young I chose not to serve, and while I regret that decision now I'm glad that we have that choice, and I'm thankful for those that choose to serve in the military.

Who would 'invade' us?
    Then you'd be required to serve rather than it being voluntary. That's why we have selective service cards. That's why it's legally required that we get them when we turn 18.

Quote Originally Posted by BaP View Post
    Your posts have 0 to do with what I asked, none any of your references prove they were done for oil or money!!
    Actually, they do, if you read them. Like the link I provided to the Shah of Iran:

Under the leadership of the democratically elected nationalist movement of Dr. Mohammed Mosaddeq, the Iranian parliament unanimously voted to nationalize the oil industry – thus shutting out the immensely profitable Anglo-Iranian Oil Company (AIOC), which was a pillar of Britain's economy and provided it political clout in the region.
    The Democratically elected government nationalized their oil resources and prevented foreign interests from continuing to exploit their country, and thus, we overthrew their Democratically elected government and installed one more favorable to our oil interests.

This is one example. There are a lot more. It was done for oil, for money, for profit - at the expense of the sovereign population. These are not 'conspiracy theories', these are confirmed facts that have come to light many years later. It's NOT a secret that the US government has overthrown foreign governments for private sector profit. If you believe otherwise, it's because you choose to delude yourself.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 03:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RoKPaNda View Post
    Then you'd be required to serve rather than it being voluntary. That's why we have selective service cards. That's why it's legally required that we get them when we turn 18.
    I already addressed this. What do YOU think the public reaction to forced drafting into military service in order to fight in Iran, Iraq, etc would be? Do you think the public reaction to such an action would be negligible?

Politicians are not at the point yet that they simply 'determine' what will be done with our lives, and if we choose NOT to join the military, they just flip the switch and send us to war unwillingly.
    Last edited by Daerio; 2013-02-07 at 03:26 PM.

Well only for males.

You don't have to respect the war to respect the soldier who's willing to fight it. Don't be such an ungrateful brat.

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    Well only for males.

I'd dodge the draft. Of course I would never be ruled mentally competent enough to serve anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    You don't have to respect the war to respect the soldier who's willing to fight it. Don't be such an ungrateful brat.
    You should respect a soldier for his deeds, not because of the mere fact that he is a soldier.

10+ Year Old Account

Who would 'invade' us?
    Please explain HOW we occupy and what countries that you have factual information to back these claims of occupation ???

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I already addressed this. What do YOU think the public reaction to forced drafting into military service in order to fight in Iran, Iraq, etc would be? Do you think the public reaction to such an action would be negligible?
    I think it doesn't make much difference what the public reaction would be. It would be most unpleasant for everyone either way though. You think the US Government wouldn't draft people in order to protect their assets and interests and uphold their end of agreements because some of the general public would be unhappy about it? Especially with things being tense in certain regions as they are? A large portion of the public would be unhappy about it, extremely so, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't do it.

A large portion of the public would be unhappy about it, extremely so, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't do it.
    That depends on if they want to get reelected or not.

Deleted
    I don't really care if people want to respect what I do or not. I didn't sign up because I wanted hero worship. If people come up to me and thank me for what I do; that is welcome. If they don't; that is also welcome.

Have to laugh at the steady stream of thinly veiled opportunistic threads to bash military folk though, like we all do it because we're crying out for adulation just for being paid a wage to do something we genuinely love to do.