Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    No one said to get rid of our entire military. We said we don't need the military in every country mucking up everything.

Soldiers are paid to fight, that doesn't always mean that they are being paid to fight for "freedom" or to "protect".
    1. YOU might not have, but there are quite a few posters throughout this thread who DID claim in one form or another that demilitarization is the key to a better future. I'm sorry, but if anyone here truly believes we have evolved to a point where man can simply discard violence, break the cycle of hate and embrace global empathy, they are living in a fantasy. I HOPE that one day such a world can become reality.

2. I agree that our military SHOULD NOT be in everyone's business. George Washington in his closing address stated a few things this country should never allow to come to pass: one of which stated we should have a foreign policy where we take care of home and not stick our nose into everyone else's business.

3. I guarentee you every time a soldier sets foot on the battlefield, he is fighting to protect - to protect the man to his left and to his right, because he can control that much. It is outrageous that there are posters in here who would villainize our soldiers without any sort of attempt at understanding and empathy. Our soldiers should not be victimized for Corporate America's decisions and legislation.

I am a licensed professional counselor. I deal with PTSD patients all the time, and I can tell you these guys do not feel like heroes in the least. They don't deserve to be ostracized for performing a duty that is very much still required in a world like ours of today.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiphon View Post
    How about some honesty? Nobody has suggested to abolish the military.

However, that does not make it a good idea to go to war every chance you get: It often ends up costly and fruitless.

Of course, there's always some small minority that does profit.
    If you take the time to read the first few pages of this thread, there are posters who make the claim that people should stop enlisting into the military altogether and allow the military to dissolve altogether. How about some literacy?
    Last edited by Shadowygoodness; 2013-02-07 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakers01 View Post
    Two things. First from my experience there is not a single person that I know who signed up to "defend" the country. They all signed up for the money and all came back worse people. Starting fights for no reason at bars for example. I don't blame them as I think they had PTSS as many of them had to kill people. Many of them were recalled as well and not a single one was happy to go back.
    Second the "fake" patriotism in this country is fucking sickening. From people who put an american flag on their bumper or clap for servicemen who now think they are now great patriotic americans. Meanwhile when the troops do return the job rate for them is a joke as well as dealing with PTSS from the shit they have to do.
    Haha this is the best post of the thread.. we joined the military for the MONEY?

Look at the pay rates for enlisted troops in the US Military.

E-3 1787
    E-2 1700
    E-1 1516

This is where you typically spend the first couple years of your enlistment in the US Military.. this is monthly pay. THEY JOINED FOR THE MONEY?!? I would say the majority of your "friends" who told you this are equally as lacking in intelligence as yourself. I definitely joined the military so I could live below the US poverty line... keep trying!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowygoodness View Post

3. I guarentee you every time a soldier sets foot on the battlefield, he is fighting to protect - to protect the man to his left and to his right, because he can control that much. It is outrageous that there are posters in here who would villainize our soldiers without any sort of attempt at understanding and empathy. Our soldiers should not be victimized for Corporate America's decisions and legislation.
    Correct, I am only saying that they are not always there to protect "our lives" or to protect "our freedom". Soldiers are paid to do a job, it's not the soldier who determines what the job is.

The job could be wiping out a group of freedom fighters. How is that protecting my freedom or my life?

I actually agree with the OP. I'm tired of people talking about a pointless war.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowygoodness View Post
    If you take the time to read the first few pages of this thread, there are posters who make the claim that people should stop enlisting into the military altogether and allow the military to dissolve altogether. How about some literacy?
    Again, nobody claimed that we should have no military. You're making a big leap there. I did say that if military enrollment dwindled to the point that our government could no longer engaged in these ridiculous acts of aggression and death, we would probably be better off.

That doesn't mean zero military. That doesn't mean we're undefended. That just means we no longer invade countries for profit. If we had a smaller military (by choice of the people, by not enlisting) then we probably wouldn't be at war in Iraq right now. There probably wouldn't be talk of unjustly invading Iran, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scinder View Post
    None of your post makes any sense. Basically it's a load of bullsh!t. No one signs up for the money. It doesn't pay that great. Some sign up for the GI Bill but that's their prerogative. At least they had the testicular fortitude to sign up.

Some people do come back with PTSD. It's unfortunate but it happens. Most do not cause trouble. There are some that do snap (look at the recent death of Chris Kyle). It can be terribly traumatic for many to see their close friends die in combat. Something you know nothing about.

Fake patriotism? Step 1. Pack your bags. Step 2. Buy a plane ticket out of the country. Step 3. GTFO.
    Fake patriot is you. And stop saying that other people are spouting bullshit when you do not provide any support.

30% of returning soldiers have PTSD, and those are just the reported cases. How is that acceptable? That is about 1/3. That is not "some people".

As for this not signing up for money crap, that just blows my mind. Why the fuck do we offer such monetary incentives? You even act like a GI is not money. What the fuck do you think that it is used for? You actually think that most people sign up to serve? That is incredibly naive. Then why have enlistment incentives if all these folks are just doing it for the pride of serving their country. Maybe the top tier soldiers, like rangers and seals, do it for pride or service, but not the majority.
    I like sandwiches

I don't find the phrase to be troubling. People who serve in a military deserve respect and it is appropriate for people to thank them for such. It isn't because they serve some grand purpose of idealism. It's because they are in a high risk, low pay profession. It's the same as paying your respects to Police or Fire Department. They protect us, in whatever country you may be a part of.

You don't have to agree with the war they may be fighting or the reasons they are fighting it, but these are just individuals doing a tough job. For example I think Bush the Younger's spiel about fighting for freedom was propaganda for securing middle eastern interests/warmongering, but the soldiers who fight that unjust war still deserve respect. Don't blame them for a government's wrongdoing. Those soldiers that serve the government's interests that you disagree with are the same soldiers that protect your nation if you get invaded.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scinder View Post
    no facts or information
    Do not agree with someone else, fine. Give reasons why.
    I like sandwiches

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Without the US military, its economy would be a joke.
    Those three meals you can afford every day? You owe that to the military. You might not like it, but you do.

Have a nice meal.
    I don't owe shit to anything or anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Without the US military, its economy would be a joke.
    Those three meals you can afford every day? You owe that to the military. You might not like it, but you do.

Have a nice meal.
    Yeah, because the military armed personnel are there spoon feeding me every meal. They're just low lifes who choose that route just because they can't afford college or were too dumb to make it to one in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by volkanik View Post
    What are your thoughts on these people? Every time I hear someone talk about the military and how thankful they are for them for fighting for our freedom and defending our country, I just die a little inside, and seriously want to punch a hole in the wall with my head. No they are not fighting for our freedom, and no they are not defending our country. No country in the Middle East is a serious threat to the United States. Their response: "But we're over there to combat terrorism". Wake the fuck up, terrorists are everywhere. That guy that shot a bunch of kids in that Sandy Hook elementary school, terrorist. That guy that shot all those people in that movie theater in Colorado, terrorist. That guy that shot a crap ton of people in Norway, terrorist. You can not go to a specific part of the world in hopes of combating an idea. It's simply propaganda.

The only time they are defending us is if our country is in danger like when Japan bombed the shit out of Pearl Harbor in WW2.
    Usually when people make these claims, it's to show how they are thankful for them. I am glad as hell for what our soldiers are doing. You can't expect the whole military to be everywhere all the time. No one ever thinks of a school as a potential combat zone, or a movie theater. Tragedies? Yes. But to have the military stationed at such places is ridiculous, considering these acts shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Regardless, I am thankful for our armed forces. They aren't perfect, and I don't expect them to be.
    Call me House.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarnaxxx View Post
    Haha this is the best post of the thread.. we joined the military for the MONEY?
    Incredibly naive. Most enlistees have no other prospects. The military offers monetary incentives because simply wanting to serve and die for your country has lost much appeal. Even the slowest of the slow can see that. Sure there are military families that love the shit, but they are rare. Most serve and gtfo.

Increase the pay and see more people signing up. Why, because money is the main motivation for people to do anything.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    *snip*
    A really simple question, You have the right to post this garbage, How did you get this right, and who is defending that right?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    A really simple question, You have the right to post this garbage, How did you get this right, and who is defending that right?
    the forumrules of a foreign website
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

The constitution. The soldiers today do nothing to uphold my rights because we are not under attack by any foreign NATIONS. The main enemies of my rights today are politicians and the military does nothing to help protect us from them.
    I like sandwiches

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    Fake patriot is you. And stop saying that other people are spouting bullshit when you do not provide any support.

30% of returning soldiers have PTSD, and those are just the reported cases. How is that acceptable? That is about 1/3. That is not "some people".

As for this not signing up for money crap, that just blows my mind. Why the fuck do we offer such monetary incentives? You even act like a GI is not money. What the fuck do you think that it is used for? You actually think that most people sign up to serve? That is incredibly naive. Then why have enlistment incentives if all these folks are just doing it for the pride of serving their country. Maybe the top tier soldiers, like rangers and seals, do it for pride or service, but not the majority.
    Pretty tough to call someone a fake patriot behind the safety of your computer screen. I served my country with distinction and I'd do it again. Your sorry ass otoh wouldn't cut it.

The 30% number is highly inflated. Any number of potential symptoms or issues could lead someone to believe they experienced PTSD. If you knew government testing standards or had the intelligence level of anything above a gnat you could have deduced that for yourself.

I don't think that people sign up to serve. I know they did because my ass was out there on the line with them. Sure there were some that wanted the college money. That's great but the vast majority of them were Reservists or National Guard.

Why does anyone offer signing bonuses, investments or benefits? Because it helps recruit genius. It's not just the military.

Damn liberals.

I agree it part with the OP, but I don't dislike/hate the troops, only the politicians that drag them halfway across the globe to liberate some random nation deemed worthy of being our puppet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nos View Post
    What a new and fresh opinion. But wouldn't it be cheaper for us to just drill for oil on our own land?
    Not at all. If they get more oil somewhere else, they can afford to pay to transport it.

Deleted
    No country in the Middle East is a serious threat to the United States.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2001 8:46 am – 10:28 am

I suggest you go look up that date, Hang your head in shame, and apologize to all the service personnel that are on these forums.

Deleted
    Army protecting.... such a fairy tale... In 25 years, private armies > all national armies of the world... then you'll see what the defenders of the right justice really are.
    (LMAO)

Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    I suggest you go look up that date, Hang your head in shame, and apologize to all the service personnel that are on these forums.
    I suggest you to kill one million irakians, because at least 3 millions wasn't enough... Yeah wasn't a genocide, they were guilty !!!
    Last edited by mmoca1e94eb7cd; 2013-02-07 at 06:40 PM.