Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    that´s somehow strange... if everyone is encouraged to think for themselves, why do unjust orders appear in the first place?
    The rules of engagement are drilled into every soldiers head until they know them backwards.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    then they must apply to the one who orders and the one who obeys, well i have to leave now, read you all soon
    They do. I think I know what you're getting at - but if the person giving the order believes it to be just to, say, kill a target - that's what he'll order his troops to do. If the order is perceived as unjust a soldier would refuse the order.

Rules of engagement don't have any bearing in the moral decision of choosing targets, they just dictate the actions taken when you encounter either the specific target, other targets or other people in the target area.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by volkanik View Post
    Every time I hear someone talk about the military and how thankful they are for them for fighting for our freedom and defending our country, I just die a little inside, and seriously want to punch a hole in the wall with my head.
    Then feel free to do so. I'm not American, but the way I see it, what's good for USA is good for the whole secular Western world and its friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemair View Post
    You don't need to understand how things work to understand that the USA has the biggest debt in the world. It doesn't matter how much money your country makes, it is impossible to pay off a singular trillion dollar loan, let alone $16.481 trillion. This in turn makes the USA debt status - 3rd world. If they took the entire populace of the United Status and demanded that they pay every cent they have borrowed from China, your country would be 3rd world as a whole. Even if that happened, you would still have trillions and trillions of dollars to still pay off. THEREFORE if your country stopped borrowing money all together, your infrastructure would collapse and the entire civilization of the United States would be "poor".

---------- Post added 2013-02-08 at 03:16 AM ----------

Saddam improved the economic state of Iraq and kept it on a steady progressive line, now it is in a constant state of decline. Was invading it good? Was it bad? I can't say that wrecking an entire countries economic welfare over a singular man was a good idea, that's up to you though.
    You only show your ignorance of Saddam's regime and of Iraq when you say things like this.

My husband is an AE in the Navy. Stationed in Pensacola, FL. He joined because he wants to play a part, but he mostly joined so I could have access to health insurance that doesn't discriminate to people with chronic conditions. And he also wants to go back to school, and this was truly the only way we could get on our feet. The area we live in is like quick sand, you keep sinking and you die :/ Needed to get out of here.

Also, my dad is a desert storm vet. And my grandpa is a vietnam vet... my husband's grandpa is a WWII vet. So, yeah... I think they go over to protect this country. Whether that's how they view it or not, that's essentially what they sign up to do. Sign yourself over, to protect America's interests. Whether's it's oil, terrorism, or whatever else is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    You only show your ignorance of Saddam's regime and of Iraq when you say things like this.
    So destroying an entire country over Saddam's regime was a good idea? Because it was prospering before the US invaded.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by volkanik View Post
    What are your thoughts on these people? Every time I hear someone talk about the military and how thankful they are for them for fighting for our freedom and defending our country, I just die a little inside, and seriously want to punch a hole in the wall with my head. No they are not fighting for our freedom, and no they are not defending our country. No country in the Middle East is a serious threat to the United States. Their response: "But we're over there to combat terrorism". Wake the fuck up, terrorists are everywhere. That guy that shot a bunch of kids in that Sandy Hook elementary school, terrorist. That guy that shot all those people in that movie theater in Colorado, terrorist. That guy that shot a crap ton of people in Norway, terrorist. You can not go to a specific part of the world in hopes of combating an idea. It's simply propaganda.

The only time they are defending us is if our country is in danger like when Japan bombed the shit out of Pearl Harbor in WW2.
    The Military protect you from outside threats, the police protect you from internal.

The only time that should change is under marshal law.

Quote Originally Posted by Annapolis View Post
    http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=1258
    http://www.nbcnews.com/business/econ...lars-go-654971

The debt is a problem because it takes away from our actual spending every year. How is that not an issue? If that causes us to not be able to balance the budget, we borrow more, then need to borrow more the next year etc.

The reason you don't hear about ways to fix the debt isn't because it doesn't need to be done.
    You've only said what I previously stated, fixing the debt doesn't matter because it doesn't need to be done. The world will support America in any financial crisis because America is the centre of world trade. China needs America to stay alive, so it can stay alive, there are several countries that rely on Americas economy to fuel their own. The world won't just sit there and watch America collapse, they will continually keep funding it. America will continually keep having to borrow money every single year, because as a country you can't fund your own economy, you are essentially a 3rd world country. What I previously stated was not facts, but the truth, you don't necessarily *need* to pay back interest. The American community buying imports from these other countries is what fuels these countries to continually keep funding America. Do you really think the amount you pay back in interest really matters? It's pennies at this point.

"fighting for our country" is technically accurate. As in they are fighting in the employment of the country's government.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felicia View Post
    Sign yourself over, to protect America's interests. Whether's it's oil, terrorism, or whatever else is out there.
    I would say that also. It's not a war to protect America or even it's citizens is to protect and enforce American's interests, benefiting the vast majority of politicians and the people that sponsored them, that lobby to them. Or even let me put it this way, if by attacking "country X" they would gain "Y ammount" making it profitable, no law in the world of UN/EU/NATO/<insert organisation here> can stop them to invade/declare war on that country.

It's that idea and actions that US is above all and that they have the right to wage war internationally at any given time, makes me feel more unsecured then secured.

But with peace, what's the point of DoD, the army, spending increase, soldiers recruiting. They will be out or relocated to do something else. Not to mention the whole propaganda and I think US has found the perfect neverending war with the whole "war on terror".
    Last edited by mmoc0127ab56ff; 2013-02-09 at 09:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thank people in the military, veterans or current, for their sacrifice they make to live in a less comfortable life than I live SO people like me can live how we do. Not necessarily for "world policing" but for the sacrifice of years out of their life.

I do not support our wars worldwide but I do support the people doing their jobs abroad to support their families.

Quote Originally Posted by Daerio View Post
    Killing people to do so isn't the right way. There are other ways.
    When you figure out another way that we haven't tried yet be sure to let us know.

Also killing is never the intent, the intent is to send troops to strongarm those who would oppress their people while protecting those people, killing just happens because those in power will often resist change.

I mean honestly trying to impose regulations on an oppresive government that does not agree with you is like trying to enforce gun laws on Gun supporters.
    In the end we protect what we believe to be right or the most beneficial to us, using physical force if necessary.