Thread: PC vs Console

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

PC vs Console

Hey all,

In this day and age when a lot of the popular game titles are available on both PC and console, how do you make the decision on which platform to purchase the game for? Personally I prefer gaming on the PC but still purchase some games for the ps3 as to not neglect playing it.

Consoles have always been about casual gaming, if you ask me. It's a basic plug in and play. You don't care too much about the graphics overall (still want it to look decent, which it does) and want to pick up a controller and play. That's what it's about.
    While PC-gaming (mostly) goes about getting the maximum out of your pc (atleast, that's the impression I get).

But to get back on your question: It depends on what I want to play on. And what the majority of my friends will buy it for. If I only have 1 friend that buys, let's say BF3 for the xbox, and 7 for the PC, I am going to get it for the PC. Other way around, I would get it for the xbox (or the PS3).
    When it's about a single-player game.. Mostly just xbox, because I enjoy getting achievements on that one. My account is made for it, and I try to collect most of them. And I prefer the xbox controller over the PS3 controller, and mostly over the keyboard aswell. I simply can't play Prince of Persia with a keyboard and mouse. I NEED a controller for it (as an example).

Urgh.. I guess it's just mostly what you're used to, and what most of your friends will buy it on, if it's multiplayer based.

Deleted
    if you like RTS and shooters without aim assist the choice is clear. (or being a fan of better graphic settings)

Deleted
    I would choose PC every time, because it's the far more superior platform and you can always plug a Xbox 360 controller in your PC. Also you can do other things on your PC besides gaming and buy cheaper games.

Just wanna remind everyone that brand bashing and flaming are against the forum rules. Regardless of which platform you prefer, remember to debate respectively!

15+ Year Old Account
    It depends largely on the type of game. There are just some games, that can't be played on a console or are at least vast superior on a computer, due to the different input methods.

RTS: Impossible without mouse / keyboard. Theoretically you could hook up a mouse/keyboard to a console, but who does that...
    MMO: Currently impossible on a console due to hardware limitations. The next gen consoles (Xbox 3, PS4) should be able to run such games, but only time will tell, if they are truly capable.
    FPS: While mouse/keyboard are not essential, it is still the preffered input method. Even with modern controllers with analog sticks and such, you still need massive help in form of "aimbots" because they are so much less accurate and fast.
    Racing: Good on both
    Arcade: Better on console. These are all those "fun" games that might not have the best graphics, but there it doesn't really matter. A simple, but fun game concept is all you need here. Popular representatives would be: Jump 'n' Run, Beat 'em Up (e.g. Mortal Combat), Puzzle/Maze (PacMan, Tetris, etc.)

I play only on PC for two simple reasons:
    - I prefer those game genres, that are bad/impossible on consoles (MMO, RTS, FPS)
    - I don't have a console. Now i don't need/want one. And at the time when i played games, that were viable for consoles, i didn't have the money to buy all those console titles and i had more or less steady supply of pirated pc games
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

For online FPS games like Black Ops, Call of Duty and such I would rather play the multiplayer on Xbox. But for the campaign and one player stuff I would go with PC all the way. I just tend to get a lot of lag while playing multiplayer Black ops on the PC but not on Xbox.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some games can be very awkward on console unless you have a mouse /keyboard...

Take infamous for example you have to move the little stick in order to aim which can be very tricky to get the hang of especially when you are moving and your target is moving too.

I can see where consoles are coming from for cost- performance/ quality wise...it would be very difficult to get a pc with the same graphics as a console for £200.

I prefer my titles on PC, in huge part because I currently do not own a console. However, some games are not available for the PC obviously, and then there are some that will be better experiences on consoles because of their enormously poor PC ports; Dark Souls unmodded for example, the original Borderlands apparently, Darkness 2's FOV stupidity, etc. Darksiders 2 is another example due to the poor graphical fidelity on PC... (Add ME3 to that to boot...)

So, yeah. I basically stick with my PC, and avoid console games overall if they aren't titles I really, really want, and which is unavailable for PC. If they're just bad PC ports, I usually just don't buy the games at all.

PC and X360 controller just in case you have games where having a pad is essential.

---------- Post added 2013-01-29 at 11:31 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jholdaway View Post
    For online FPS games like Black Ops, Call of Duty and such I would rather play the multiplayer on Xbox. But for the campaign and one player stuff I would go with PC all the way. I just tend to get a lot of lag while playing multiplayer Black ops on the PC but not on Xbox.
    Is the issue a weak PC or?

FPS being the one genre that I totally wouldn't play on a console. :P

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why spend money on a console when a PC can do everything plus others the console can do - and do it better?

That's right. :P
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

I haven't tried them on my new computer yet but as for another reason, Most of my friends who I play with don't have the funds to build a decent gaming computer. I also think there is less of a chance for cheating on a console vs a computer. Then again amazon does sell modded xbox controllers.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    if you like RTS and shooters without aim assist the choice is clear. (or being a fan of better graphic settings)
    love your new avatar (and the cpu-z validator link)

I prefer pc, I always felt that the console where too casual for me (ain't saying that Im a pro, would be faaaaar from truth) and I love everyting related with computers so... It was a natural choice for me.
    My first build:
    Storage: Kingston SSD Now V200+ 120G and WD Caviar Blue HDD 500 G
    Processing Units: i5-3570k @ 3.8 Ghz cooled by 212 Evo and MSI Twin Frozr 3, R7850 @ 900, 1200
    Mobo, Ram, PSU Gigabyte Z77-D3H and G.Skill ripjaw 2x 4G with XFX 550w
    If I am unreadable, its not because I hate grammar, its because Im french-canadian

10+ Year Old Account
    Consoles are good for one thing and one thing only: Split-screen gaming.

PC is simply better for everything else.

If there is a game that is out on consoles and PC, I always buy it for PC. The graphics are simply no comparison, as well as sound. If a game plays better on a console controller, I will just use a controller from my console... There is no reason to get a multiplatform game on console over PC unless you have a shitty PC.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Why spend money on a console when a PC can do everything plus others the console can do - and do it better?

Console specific games.
    I wish i hadnt sold my ps3..... NI NO KUNI!!! -.-

But still I also rather play on the PC than console. I just always played on a PC, I had different consoles but I always end up with the PC :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post

Console exclusive games >.< I still haven't played fable 2

Up until last year I had a PS3, Xbox 360, and a Wii. I have since sold the Wii and given the Xbox to my little sister. The only game that I ever played or cared to play on the Xbox was the halo series and I only played on xbox live, never completed any of the campaign modes. I bought the Wii and had to get it off ebay because after its release in the US it was out of stock in every store for over a year. I played it for a bit and got sick of it, sold to my wife's friend to give to her son. I bought the PS3 to play DC Universe Online, loved the game then the PS3 online systems got hacked and I stopped playing it after that, the PS3 is now just a Blue Ray Player and hasn't had a game played on it in over a year. Basically since I started playing Wow in Late 05 I haven't been able to play any other type of game and get enjoyment out of it since then. Now I strictly play a variety of MMO's on my Laptop and that is my gaming experience. IMO until Console systems release more MMO style games they are going to fall by the wayside.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Console exclusive games >.< I still haven't played fable 2
    You're not missing much tbf.

Deleted
    Like what has been said before in this thread.

I used to play consoles as a kid. It's really hard to understand how big of a change it is unless you experience it yourself. There's no point in me convincing you to go to PC based gaming when you're in love with console based gaming. Sure, it can be fun too, but keep in mind once you change to PC you rarely ever change back.

+ Better graphics
    + Running actual stuff on your PC when gaming: Streaming, Music, Youtube, Facebook, Skype,...
    + Mouse/Keyboard
    + Optional controller for those buttonbash games and platformers.

- Higher cost
    - No access to console exclusive games (But let's be real, how many console exclusives are out there you really need to play?)

I'd say, go visit somebody with a high end gaming rig, see for yourself how you like it and choose accordingly.