Deleted

WoW keeps crashing my whole PC

Hi!
    For quite a while now, I have some problems playing wow that really bother me.
    I tried about everything I could come up with to fix them, but nothing helped...not a bit - that's why I'm hoping that some of you might have an idea how to deal with them.

As stated in the title, for about a month now WoW keeps constantly crashing - at least about 15 times a day, sometimes up to 20 or more.
    Not just freezes...the program encounters a critical error and gets closed with Blizzards error tool showing up.
    But that's not all - about half the time, I even get a Bluescreen and the PC restarts.
    It doesn't happen regularily...sometimes I can play for two hours straight, sometimes the problem occurs twice in five minutes.

I tried changing the memory and testing every module separately. Nothing.
    I updated every driver. Reinstalled the OS. Updated the BIOS. Still nothing.
    WoW is - as far as I can tell - the only thing that causes those crashes...as long as I don't play, the PC runs completely stable (having it opened in the background is enough to produce that errors, though).

System:
    i7 950 @3,07 GHz, Radeon HD 5870, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance, Intel SSD, Win 8 Pro 64 Bit.

It's hard to point out the exact errors, because there is a different one showing up everytime a BSOD occurs.
    For example: "SYSTEM_THREAD_EXEPTION_NOT_HANDLED (dxgmms1.sys)"

Crit errors are looking like:
    ERROR #132 (0x85100084) Fatal exception!
    Program: C:\Program Files (x86)\World of Warcraft\Wow-64.exe
    ProcessID: 2272
    Exception: 0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 0033:000007F7AC865B41
    The instruction at "0x000007F7AC865B41" referenced memory at "0x0000000000620008".
    The memory could not be "written"/"read".

I mean, yeah, clearly looks like a problem with the RAM...but like I said, I already tried changing it and it did not help.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :/

Just to start of get a usb flashdrive and use this tool http://www.memtest.org/download/4.20....installer.zip

The tool will automatically make your flashdrive bootable & copying memtest86+ files. Just boot from usb and do atleast 5-10 tests

Did you just buy new ram or used older ones in combination with ur current ram?

Deleted
    Thanks in advance, I'll try that.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Did you just buy new ram or used older ones in combination with ur current ram?
    When I bought my PC, I ordered some spare RAM modules - which I now used for testing.

Does it happen if you run WoW on your integrated GPU instead of the Radeon?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Does it happen if you run WoW on your integrated GPU instead of the Radeon?
    I don't think the i7 950 has an IGP?

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 10:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    Thanks in advance, I'll try that.

When I bought my PC, I ordered some spare RAM modules - which I now used for testing.
    So you just only have your spare ram modules plugged in and the older ones aren't plugged, right? If memtest fails, what you can try is to set the timings manually, voltage manual and dram speed manual as well.

I thought the x58 motherboards had integrated GPUs but it doesn't look like many did.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    I mean, yeah, clearly looks like a problem with the RAM...but like I said, I already tried changing it and it did not help.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :/
    Don't neglect the video RAM either, could be that too.

Check out: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983615

After trying that, do you have another GPU to test it with? You may have bad RAM on your video card.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Don't neglect the video RAM either, could be that too.
    Check out: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/983615
    Isn't that hotfix Win 7 only?

After trying that, do you have another GPU to test it with? You may have bad RAM on your video card.
    Unfortunately, I don't.
    If memtest fails to find an error, I guess I'll have to acquire one, though. Thanks for your advice!

I'm not sure. I'll have to check that out.

So you just only have your spare ram modules plugged in and the older ones aren't plugged, right? If memtest fails, what you can try is to set the timings manually, voltage manual and dram speed manual as well.
    I've installed a fresh set of modules, yes.
    Like I said, beforehand I also ran windows memory tool over every module separately...it didn't find any problems. But then again, maybe memtest is just much more accurate.
    What I know is that a while ago I discovered that one of my RAM sockets seems to be faulty - but since then I don't use it anymore, so I don't think this should matter, or am I mistaken?
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2013-02-07 at 10:31 PM.

Isn't that hotfix Win 7 only?

Unfortunately, I don't.
    If memtest fails to find an error, I guess I'll have to acquire one, though. Thanks for your advice!

I'm not sure. I'll have to check that out.

I've installed a fresh set of modules, yes.
    Like I said, beforehand I also ran windows memory tool over every module separately...it didn't find any problems. But then again, maybe memtest is just much more accurate.
    What I know is that a while ago I discovered that one of my RAM sockets seems to be faulty - but since then I don't use it anymore, so I don't think this should matter, or am I mistaken?
    Nah if you don't use that faulty ram socket, it's okay. Just give me the model of your motherboard as well which is useful.

Something else, just let this tool run for like a halfhour & enable the scanner option (left from the button "start stress test"). You can see the artifacts count, it should be at 0.

Did you over-/underclock your cpu in any way? I had the same problem some weeks ago when i built my new rig and the problem was too low voltage for my cpu. My PC was stable all along under full load but WoW kept crashing and sometimes froze my pc or bsod.

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I the only person who considered a failing psu whereby if wow pushes the gpu the power supply can't keep up (sometimes just undersupplying the gpu resulting in a fatal error) Othertimes under supplying the mobo resulting in blue screen.

Just my thoughts but might be something to look into as well though would check that it isn't cpu degradation and the cpu just being undervolted first.

If your wow is installed in the ssd, update the ssd's firmware, the firmware being out of date might create conflict when it tried to read wow and it crashes the computer.

Deleted
    Thanks for all your advice so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mion View Post
    Did you over-/underclock your cpu in any way? I had the same problem some weeks ago when i built my new rig and the problem was too low voltage for my cpu. My PC was stable all along under full load but WoW kept crashing and sometimes froze my pc or bsod.
    I tried, but only about one week ago. The crashes occured long before, plus I restored the default values just a few minutes later.

Quote Originally Posted by slasher0161 View Post
    Just my thoughts but might be something to look into as well though would check that it isn't cpu degradation and the cpu just being undervolted first.
    The PSU should have ample power to supply the system (giving the fact that it's ~850 w).
    Could be faulty, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxz View Post
    If your wow is installed in the ssd, update the ssd's firmware, the firmware being out of date might create conflict when it tried to read wow and it crashes the computer.
    I just recently installed WoW on the SSD - had it on a normal hdd the whole time before. Same errors.

Btw: I ran memtest over the night for about 5 hours, and lo and behold, it yielded some interesting data:
    http://i.imgur.com/9y1KBMW.jpg

Does this help by any means?

Btw: I ran memtest over the night for about 5 hours, and lo and behold, it yielded some interesting data:
    http://i.imgur.com/9y1KBMW.jpg

Does this help by any means?
    Yes you need new RAM.

Oh btw, you should run triple channel with that i7 of yours.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Yes you need new RAM.
    Oh btw, you should run triple channel with that i7 of yours.
    Oh dear, I burned through quite a lot ram modules since I have this PC...they just keep getting faulty.
    And since I considered building a whole new pc in the immediate future anyway...maybe I'll just take the opportunity now.

Thank you for all your effort.

Oh dear, I burned through quite a lot ram modules since I have this PC...they just keep getting faulty.
    And since I considered building a whole new pc in the immediate future anyway...maybe I'll just take the opportunity now.

Well you might have an issue with the motherboard or something that is causing this then, I don't really know but if you keep getting memory problems that might be something you should have a look at.

Uhm you have 1600MHz ram on 8-8-8-24 as timings, are you sure the DRAM voltage is set properly? Just give me the model of your ram so I can check the voltage for you.

Deleted
    Uhm you have 1600MHz ram on 8-8-8-24 as timings, are you sure the DRAM voltage is set properly? Just give me the model of your ram so I can check the voltage for you.
    The thing is, I never changed something in that regard...not since I bought the PC.
    Also, I think it should be right, but of course I might be wrong.
    http://i.imgur.com/8ctfonQ.jpg

Btw: I bought a completely new 2x4GB kit today - haven't installed it yet, but I will do so later.
    If the errors still occur, I'll have to double-check everything else again.