Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by phyx View Post
    Did they announce over 10mil without including Chinas MoP returning players?

'Cause if those players were counted in, this is a bigger loss than i thought.
    Yes, the previous number was pre China launch IIRC. That means that they would have gained more before losing. IMH, it's not a good number. I would hazard a guess that we did not see such a drop off this early after the release of previous expansions, if there was any drop off at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Eliandal View Post
    It was addressed on the actual call. The majority of the loss was attributed to China, while western markets were pretty much stable
    Ofc western markets were "stable" over Xmas and new year with BLizz offering 50% off MOP in middle of December. We all know these are not the current numbers. And we also know China dont have Xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Zergal View Post
    If you can only judge the worth of something based on numbers, i really wouldn't want to be in your shoes. What offers the better food for example, a 5 Star gastronomic restaurant or Mcdonalds? Obviously the gastronomic restaurant, but meanwhile everyone flocks at Mcdonalds to eat that garbage.

Same logic can apply to WoW, Vanilla and BC were meant for the real MMO fans, then WolTK came to cater to the "MMO-Fastfood" crowd. Yes it meant more subs, but much less quality.

Edit : looking at your armory, i guess you actually fit in the "fast food gaming" crowd so i guess that explains a lot.
    no.... vanilla wow was meant to cater to the "mcdonalds crowd" or do you not remember all the everquest players who if you told yhem you played wow would tease you for playing the easy game.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Chry View Post
    I'm in complete disagreement that WotLK content was of "much less quality" than any previous expansions, simply because it was not. There is no point in arguing over the subject as it is a very opinion-related discussion. (Again, numbers are the only sets of data we can be consistent with when discussing this situation)

Also, apples to oranges much? People eat at McDonalds because it's cheaper and more widely available, not because it's more popular. WoW has sustained its subscription model every since day 1, and has been widely available since.

The only difference is that Blizzard is now LOSING subscribers, not GAINING.
    It doesn't matter if sub numbers is the only data we have. It is still not directly tied to quality.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)

I've played wow since release and I've really loved the game for a long time. I've left recently since my server is absolutely dead and I know of at least 10 people on that server who have left for the exact same reason. I would come back in a heartbeat if blizz decided to merge servers, I would transfer but at this point I would want to transfer alts as well and it's just too much money to justify transferring all of them.
    Last edited by Spekkiothebrave; 2013-02-07 at 11:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    It doesn't matter if sub numbers is the only data we have. It is still not directly tied to quality.
    exactly in my opinion best goes like this

Mists

Vanilla

Wrath

Cata

TBC
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    there would be no legal problems... this would be like you trying to argue something isnt a book if its only 50 pages long, an expansion is as its called an EXPANSION of the content within the game, dlc is an EXPANSION of the content within a game. an expansion can be small or big as can dlc its the same thing and all that matters is how much a company puts into it.

the only place i would get in trouble is if i tried to sell it in china since in china you cannot charge for more content thats why they get all the expansions for free.

also diablo 3 is not "dead" its a single player game and there are still lots of people playing it and it sold alot. im not sure what bioware has to do with any of this unless you're talking about mass effect 3? which was regarded as a pretty good game except for the ending.

and no he said that wow never had more than 11 million subs.
    I get it, you can't be arsed reading responses to your comments that refute your arguments. I'll end with this:

If you advertise something without a disclaimer and it's not in the game - it's false advertising and customers are entitled to a refund. In some countries, such as my own, customers are entitled to a refund for up to 60 days regardless. If your expansion is so pathetic I am done in an hour I will be refunding it immediately, as will almost everyone else who bought it. Then your reputation is gone and your one-hit wonder has left you with a broken career.

But PLEASE, defend your DLC-expansions.

Bioware's last straw is DA:3, many won't even buy it after the failures of DA:2, ME3, and SWTOR. If that game fails too they have lost pretty much everything.

The Patient
    500 is a huge amount of players, considering it's only after 2 months of the release of the expansion.

Not directly, but indirectly. Financial issues aside, the only thing that would make someone quit this game is a loss of enjoyment. One can assume that the loss in enjoyment came from what the game has to offer, which in the end correlates subscription numbers with quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Spekkiothebrave View Post
    I've played wow since release and I've really loved the game for a long time. I've left recently since my server is absolutely dead and I know of at least 10 people on that server who have left for the exact same reason. I would come back in a heartbeat if blizz decided to merge servers, I would transfer but at this point I would want to transfer alts as well and it's just too much money to justify transferring all of them.
    This is one of the real issues of WOW. And BLizzard is ignoring this. Game has gone from 12 mills down to 9.6 now... and with same number of servers. CRZ do not solve the issues. The only way to solve them is to merge servers and create strong communities again.

Weird all my friends have subbed back, but my friends aren't an indicator of everything else.

It makes sense, people are growing up and out of the game. They just can't devote the time anymore, and players are changing anyway. I like the expansion, I think it's up there neck and neck with Wrath clawing at BC's floor.

Not directly, but indirectly. Financial issues aside, the only thing that would make someone quit this game is a loss of enjoyment. One can assume that the loss in enjoyment came from what the game has to offer, which in the end correlates subscription numbers with quality.
    or it could be that it's almost 10 years old. herp derp.

MoP has the best game mechanics for storytelling WoW has ever had (quality), subs still went down.

Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    or it could be that it's almost 10 years old. herp derp.
    That argument was invalid the second WotLK saw subscriber gains.

MoP has the best game mechanics for storytelling WoW has ever had (quality), subs still went down.
    Just because they can tell a story doesn't mean it's a good story.

Quote Originally Posted by Crummy View Post
    Oh noes.
    I fear that the worst of conversations and topics are about to being.....
    Anyway, nice to see Diablo doing so well
    Wait what? Diablo is a horrible game. 1/2 the pop is gold sellers
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

That argument was invalid the second WotLK saw subscriber gains.
    ok bieber fanboy

Quote Originally Posted by Garian View Post
    A 500k drop in subs is huge. Especially if they are in the U.S. or Europe.
    Yeah, if you have between 1-2 million subs as a brand new MMO *cough SWTOR cough*
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin
    Why? Because fuck you, that's why.

Every time you have a question that begins with "Why?" that is about what other people prefer to do with their own goddamn time, come back here, and reread the first row of this post. That will ALWAYS be the answer to your question. Have a nice day.

Just because they can tell a story doesn't mean it's a good story.
    The good/bad of a story is subjective and not tied to quality unless you want to talk about story structure and depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    I get it, you can't be arsed reading responses to your comments that refute your arguments. I'll end with this:

If you advertise something without a disclaimer and it's not in the game - it's false advertising and customers are entitled to a refund. In some countries, such as my own, customers are entitled to a refund for up to 60 days regardless. If your expansion is so pathetic I am done in an hour I will be refunding it immediately, as will almost everyone else who bought it. Then your reputation is gone and your one-hit wonder has left you with a broken career.

But PLEASE, defend your DLC-expansions.

Bioware's last straw is DA:3, many won't even buy it after the failures of DA:2, ME3, and SWTOR. If that game fails too they have lost pretty much everything.
    theres only been what? 2 or 3 people who have replied to my dlc post. of those 3 ive replied to all of them.

again you are putting words in my mouth. i never said in my hypothetical sentence that if i made an expansion with only a vanity item that i would advertise it as having anything more than that.

expansion = EXPANDING the content within a game, doesnt matter how much as long as theres more doesnt matter what they charge or what they put in it if theres something new its an expansion

Dlc= Downloadable content that EXPANDS the content within the game.

so the ONLY difference is that one is downloaded and one isnt. again just because companies like ea will put out costumes and thats it doesnt mean thats ALL DLC IS.

if i go to burger king ask for a burger and they give me a a burger with only the buns and the meat with nothing else is it not a burger? no its still a burger. if i get one with everything on it does that make the burger with nothing on it any less of a burger? NO BECAUSE THERE BOTH BURGERS @_@

The good/bad of a story is subjective and not tied to quality unless you want to talk about story structure and depth.
    Actually, a quality story does a lot better than quality mechanics to tell the story. Not sure how you're not seeing the connection, but a good story correlates with a quality game.

I hear Den Isle is a pretty nice place to live.