Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Descense View Post
    I bet dailys killed those subs. It was overkill realy.
    Bliz is adding a bunch more come 5.2.

Quote Originally Posted by alkyd View Post
    Nevertheless, if that graph is correct, imagine how successfully WoW competes with Asian MMOs with 6 million player base in Asia. It's not only #1 game in EU and US, it's #1 in Asia. Has any other MMORPG achieved this result?
    Most MMOs do not have an Asian market on top of a EU/US market. WoW is not the #1 MMO in Asia, and it is not the #1 MMO in the West. But combined, it makes it the #1 MMO in the world. But I don't know about you, but this doesn't really matter to me considering I can't play with Asia or EU. The NA population is only around 1.7 million, which is nothing compared to a lot of MMO populations in NA. People think WoW is successful because they only look at the combined population numbers, if other MMOs sold their game all over the world, I'm sure they'd also have inflated population numbers, as well.

I don't think WoW will ever actually gain subs again, unless its a brand new expansion that gets released. Like with MoP's case.

The game is getting older and older, while a lot of new and better quality games are getting released. Eventually WoW cannot compete anymore

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I don't think WoW will ever actually gain subs again, unless its a brand new expansion that gets released. Like with MoP's case.

The game is getting older and older, while a lot of new and better quality games are getting released. Eventually WoW cannot compete anymore
    Yet these new and better games are in a much worst state than wow and are struggling to even hold a subscription based model forcing them to go F2P.

There's nothing on the market even close to taking the number 1 spot after seeing 2 of the biggest MMO's to be released in recent times (GW2 and Star Wars TOR) make little to no impact in the genre I cant see anything in the foreseeable future making a difference to MMO's in general.

WoW will be the best and dominant MMO until Blizzard release 'project Titan' that game already has millions of subscribers before anything is even announced because it's got the Blizzard tag.
    Last edited by mmoceeceb76e25; 2013-02-09 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    There's nothing on the market even close to taking the number 1 spot after seeing 2 of the biggest MMO's to be released in recent times (GW2 and Star Wars TOR) make little to no impact in the genre I cant see anything in the foreseeable future making a difference to MMO's in general.
    Pretty soon, people will just stop trying. That won't be a terribly positive sign for Wow, though.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Yet these new and better games are in a much worst state than wow and are struggling to even hold a subscription based model forcing them to go F2P.

WoW will be the best and dominant MMO until Blizzard release 'project Titan' that game already has millions of subscribers before anything is even announced because it's got the Blizzard tag.
    The thing is not all of these MMO release's are trying to be number 1.

As for guild wars 2 it is doing great most servers are ether high or full in pop.

Its the same model GW1 had but will be releasing more content over time then GW1 "it already has"

Tons of mmorpg's are going F2p+Sub or outright f2p/B2p due to the fact it can make them more money.

if your MMO has 100k subs and u go f2p and it jumps up to 600k that is 500k new players who may sub or buy from the cash shop and good chance yous till got the orginal 100k paying for there sub.

A MMORPG dose not need 9 million or even 1 million subs to be a great game and to release content.

Rift may have under 1million subs and tron is pumping out more content then wow and releasing 3 other games along with a TV show.

WOW is different because it has 9.6mil subs but also that sub number will effect wow because blizzard wants the most high number it can get.

There is not a MMO that will release that will kill wow but what is hurting it is 4 things.

1.The MMO market is way more huge then it was 8 years ago and there is a lot more choice.
    2.The Slow rate blizzard release's content and a few choice's they have made since MOP Like CRZ and the daily quest grind and gating raids so its "new" cotnent.
    3.The amount of MMORPGS that is F2p/B2p is huge now so why pay 15$ a month when you can have a one time pay of 60$ for a MMO or just outright play one for free without ever spending a dime. some of these mmo's u can even grind the cash shop money to buy stuff in it and never spend 1 cent on the game.

4. Wow's age is taking its toll.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I knew there would be a decline in players. I myself quit last month as did my husband. We just got tired of the grind mostly and decided to move back to console gaming and maybe some other computer games we can play together that aren't as grindy. If blizzard improves it then that will be nice, but I have been playing since vanilla and in all honesty am tired of the "gear up...then a new xpac is released a few months later so you get to do it again!" What really got me this time was the leveling speed. I don't mind it so much as in the time it takes for my first and maybe even second level 90...and it did get a little faster purely because I knew the quests/less competition for kills etc. But I just feel that after a while it became too much of a grind for most of my alts that I just didn't feel like doing it. Cata leveling wasn't much better either for that matter, but they at least had the level 85 heirloom to make it a little more tolerable...no level 90 heirloom kinda sucks.

I think blizzard is taking the focus out of fun and putting too much into "things to do"...having a lot to do does not make a game fun. Just because a game can keep me busy for hours on end (I had to dedicate nearly 3-5 hours a night to do everything I could have normally done in maybe 1 and a half hours to no more than 3 back in cata). The fact I work made this a little more difficult. I like to progress, meaning I wanted to valor cap every week and get good gear and do my weekly LFR's and all that...plus I needed to get reps up so I could get the recipes for my professions...(I never did finish all the rep grinding because I just got so sick of daily quests that I felt sick when I would log on).

I am by no means hardcore, but not even really casual. I am somewhere in between where I could dedicate maybe 4-5 nights a week to the game...but then I wanted to take 2-3 nights a week doing other things. I liked being able to come home from work, play the game, but on my days off I liked going to the movies and stuff. Sadly, my guild wanted to progress through raids so I tried dedicating more time to them and well...it didn't work out so well for my nerves and I just got sick of the game I had been playing since I was 17...and that's when I realized I'm not 17 anymore. I don't have as much time as I used to to dedicate to this game. And so I quit. I doubt I will be back ever.

It makes me sad to hear they lost so many people, but I honestly feel like other people feel the same way as I do and they just don't have time anymore. I look at other MMORPG's that have better graphics, better UI's, systems, etc. that SHOULD be beating WoW (they just don't have a big enough fan base behind them) and I honestly feel like blizzard is screwing us out of a good experience. I seen a blue post earlier and it had some pics of Blizzard (like the building and what all it has)...it looks like a resort. I can't help but feel like as hard as they say they work on improving the games look etc that it could have been done but they choose to spend the money elsewhere...nothing wrong with having a nice relaxing environment at work...I mean I wish my job had a work out room, shiny cafeteria, volley ball, basketball, lake, relaxing views, a game room with pool, a theater etc. I am sure the employees there are happy. And it's great a company can provide for their employees like that, especially in our economy...

They also claim to have the capability of upgrading but they like the cartoony graphics as part of the games charm. Sometimes when I read blue posts I don't feel like they care so much anymore about the customer. Their customer service has gone downhill the past couple of years. I never used to hear anyone complain, but lately I have seen people petition for a ticket, and the issue they were asking about wasn't even addressed...instead they get some other answer that had nothing to do with their petition...which shows it's all automated or the people responding just don't bother reading and assume it's about something else. I've also had to deal with them over the phone where I get nothing resolved but can't resolve the issue online and I get put in a ring running around until someone finally talks to me that has a clue.

All of those things will lead to the game to lose subs. I am interested to see how subs will hold when The Elder Scrolls online is released...that game has a lot of fans and the company Bethesda has not been known to make bad games. The game looks beautiful and it's like a breath of fresh air for many I am sure to see it. Blizzard needs to get their heads out of the clouds that they are and will be top dogs forever...because other game companies that seem to care most about the players experience and providing the player with fun, not just time sinks, are going to start emerging. These companies watch what players say they want in a game and are willing to provide it. They see peoples biggest complaints about WoW and are going to do everything in their power to not bring the same experience in their games while taking all the good aspects they can and either making them better or keeping them the same just in a new way so players will feel familiar with the game and have something new and maybe a little easier to deal with.

If things don't change with the way blizz is running the game they will lose more people. That is just a fact. It may not happen fast and it may take time. But when new games start getting released and the buzz starts popping up people will turn their heads from WoW...people crave change even if they don't realize it right now. And it may not be The Elder Scrolls that does it, it could be a game we least expect. Blizzard needs to go back to their roots and care more about the players BEFORE they lose subs, not decide to make changes after the loss just to gain people back. That's not a smart business plan and eventually people get sick of feeling pulled back and fourth in and out of the game they'll just decide to never go back.

Quote Originally Posted by RockStedy View Post
    Diablo 3 at #1 best selling PC game? A simple google check would show that that's not true at all.

I thought The Sims 2 was still the best selling PC game of all time. With over 21 million or something...could be wrong, this was a while back. Wikipedia time!
    Fairly sure they meant Best selling of 2012, not of all time.

Anyway, on topic, eh, I can see a number dropping after the shiny wears off, generally depends I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    The more that leave the better, so long as it's PvP and PvEr's maybe then us roleplayers will get some attention.

Deleted

Apparently you missed the part were GW2 sold more than 3 million copies just in EU and US and got its active population on the servers increasing month after month since launch. In the process, they released a new content patch every single month (in the meantime, WoW had just one). And while it requires no subscription fee, it managed to dramatically increase the NCSoft earnings in 2012.

You may like WoW and dislike GW2, of course, that's fine and up to you. But maybe you should be more connected to reality as well. WoW is nowhere near the only big MMO on the market, not in terms of numbers, not in terms of content. It's a matter of fact at this point, deal with it.

These threads are always interesting to read. Ive played WoW since '05 and have tried every major release and popular f2p mmo in that time. I want desperately to play something new. The fact is however it sucks to go backwards in mmo development. You immediately miss features that WoW has implemented over the years and that is IMHO the key things that brings me back. I don't want to sit in town and spam general chat in game X while the devs think about creating a LFD type system. I think that if a mmo could nail down these systems and have compelling gameplay, story, art etc then WoW would have competition. Truthfully however the only companies I see with the potential development caliber IS Blizzard, but I have high hopes for ES as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drekmar View Post
    GOOD! Wotlk and Cata badies are leaving!
    I wonder when will the Vanilla, BC and MoP "baddies" leave...

Quote Originally Posted by Swag View Post
    These threads are always interesting to read. Ive played WoW since '05 and have tried every major release and popular f2p mmo in that time. I want desperately to play something new. The fact is however it sucks to go backwards in mmo development. You immediately miss features that WoW has implemented over the years and that is IMHO the key things that brings me back. I don't want to sit in town and spam general chat in game X while the devs think about creating a LFD type system. I think that if a mmo could nail down these systems and have compelling gameplay, story, art etc then WoW would have competition. Truthfully however the only companies I see with the potential development caliber IS Blizzard, but I have high hopes for ES as well.
    I have only seen a little of it but if you was interested in another MMO.

Neverwinter is releasing as a 100% free to download and play and will also have a looking for group system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E6Yw-M1YY "TotalBiscuit playing a dungeon with a couple of the dervs from the NW team" looks really fun they even use the LFG system to inter the dungeon.

Will also have player made content like quest chains and all.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Deleted
    Hilarious responses in the thread. As someone who never played WOW, I gotta ask:

- to fans obsessed about WOW maintaining seventeen billion subscriptions: Why? We're talking about a game that will average 10 million subs for a DECADE. Nothing ever came close and may never will. Why do you care if the game drops from 13 million to anything less? At this rate, there's 0 chance the game will ever actually die completely within your lifetime (as in down to 0 players and all serves turned off), it is just too legendary. Stop worrying about numbers, just enjoy it, you know, have fun?

- to people hating on WOW and celebrating "the failure": copy/paste - We're talking about a game that will avarage 10 million subs for a DECADE. Even if it drops to 0 subscribers on January 1 2015, it will still be legendary title and most likely a one time MMO-phenomen on such scale. Nothing you say at this point will ever make general audience think the game's a failure. Just accept it, enjoy either it (if you're a closet hater) or other games you like, you know, have fun?

Even if they lose a ton of subscribers, they are still the top subscribing MMO whether you are a hater or liker of blizzard games. You also have to consider that the game is bound to lose a huge amount of subscribers due to the annual pass ending for users. So I assume another drop in subscribers within the next quarter as more subscribers annual pass ends.

Deleted
    The 500k are the whining bitches that didn't like to work for their epics, so nobody important left basically

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    The 500k are the whining bitches that didn't like to work for their epics, so nobody important left basically
    Can you prove this cause if you got links and all to back up your claim ill be happy to read them.

But until then comments like that are pointless/useless and really show how low the WOW Community has gotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondroc View Post
    500k is more then most other P2P mmo's have in active players. Give me a break.
    It's not a sign that WoW is dying. However the normal excuses, such as lack of content, can't really be used either. In fact their is plenty of content. It's really just an issue of people being bored which, really, is sad considering the rate the content is being released.

Is WoW going to die any time soon? No. Does it make you reconsider the direction? Yes.

From 10 -> 9.5 is simply a 5% decrease.
    That's still not that shocking.

There's a difference between decline and "dying".

Really after D3 ? Sorry i dont have that much fate in Blizzard quality tag after that "success" - for me they lost their "mojo". Do you really think next Blizzard game - lets pretend Titan will be MMO - will be still subscription based game ? I dont think there is any chance in current market for it to happen - it's not early 2000 - there is reason why all new MMO are B2P or F2P or convert to one of those model some time after release.
    Last edited by lyxx; 2013-02-10 at 10:13 AM.