Problrems getting the GPU to work

I recently got a new GPU, a Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 OC Windforce 2GB. I put it into my computer and screwed in the screws. When I turn the computer on, it won't start up. The fans are completely still, and the computer makes does some signal noise. After a little while the computer turns itself off, and a littler later it starts up again.

I have never installed any parts in a computer myself before, so I'm new at this.

Did you plug in the power cables to the GPU?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Did you plug in the necessary amount of 6-pin connectors from your power supply? And if you haven't then first make sure of the wattage of your power supply. The label on it should tell you. If you are adding a card to a prebuilt pc, you may not have the necessary wattage to power your pc.

It's 550W. The previous GPU didn't have any power cables plugged into it. It was just connected to the motherboard, and that's it. The quick guide that came with the GPU says: 'Insert the card into the slot until it is firmly in place, if necessary, plug in the external power cord.' With that in mind, I figured I'd try starting it up with just inserting the card.

Quote Originally Posted by Linkedblade View Post
    Did you plug in the necessary amount of 6-pin connectors from your power supply? And if you haven't then first make sure of the wattage of your power supply. The label on it should tell you. If you are adding a card to a prebuilt pc, you may not have the necessary wattage to power your pc.
    He has a Corsair VX550, it has plenty of power for his computer.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 10:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arctagon View Post
    It's 550W. The previous GPU didn't have any power cables plugged into it. It was just connected to the motherboard, and that's it. The quick guide that came with the GPU says: 'Insert the card into the slot until it is firmly in place, if necessary, plug in the external power cord.' With that in mind, I figured I'd try starting it up with just inserting the card.
    You need to use the 2 PCI-E connectors on your PSU and connect them to the GPU.

Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Yeah, I got two cables that fit into the black sockets in the lower left of the picture. The cables split in two, though, so I have four ends. The cables are short, so they don't go that far. I found two vacant cables I can plug the ends of the power cables into, but I still need two more.

Yeah, I got two cables that fit into the black sockets in the lower left of the picture. The cables split in two, though, so I have four ends. The cables are short, so they don't go that far. I found two vacant cables I can plug the ends of the power cables into, but I still need two more.
    You should have one 6 pin that will fit perfectly and one 6+2pin which you can split and put in.

These are already attacked to your PSU, don't use those adapters you are talking about.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2013-02-07 at 10:00 PM.

I got two of these with the GPU:

I got two of these with the GPU:
    [.img]http://virtuapin.net/images/adapter-2x-molex-6pin.jpg[/img]
    Yeah there is no need to use those, you have the correct connection on your PSU already.

Wait, so you're saying I don't plug anyhing into the GPU at all?

Wait, so you're saying I don't plug anyhing into the GPU at all?
    No I'm saying that you already have cables from your PSU that look like the ones I showed you, use those.

Ooooh. Sorry. I'm having a series of completely dumb moments today. Like, I could for example not figure out why the GPU would only be pushed in on one of the sides of the row that's going into the motherboard, when the problem was that there was a screw in the way. I eventually realized that the GPU uses an additional window at the back of the case for the fans, so I removed the screw and the entire problem was solved. I wanted to hit my head into a brick wall.

I think it works now. When it comes to drivers, I am of the impression that there is no point in installing it from the CD that came with the GPU, but rather install it from the Internet, as that's likely to be more up to date. Is this correct?

Ooooh. Sorry. I'm having a series of completely dumb moments today. Like, I could for example not figure out why the GPU would only be pushed in on one of the sides of the row that's going into the motherboard, when the problem was that there was a screw in the way. I eventually realized that the GPU uses an additional window at the back of the case for the fans, so I removed the screw and the entire problem was solved. I wanted to hit my head into a brick wall.

I think it works now. When it comes to drivers, I am of the impression that there is no point in installing it from the CD that came with the GPU, but rather install it from the Internet, as that's likely to be more up to date. Is this correct?
    This is correct. You can get the latest beta driver from here http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...etadriver.aspx

Why thank you! Is there any difference in using the latest version and a beta driver? In games and programs a beta is usually buggy and incomplete, but I have no idea how all that works with drivers and such.

Why thank you! Is there any difference in using the latest version and a beta driver? In games and programs a beta is usually buggy and incomplete, but I have no idea how all that works with drivers and such.
    The beta has some new improved features and they are trying to solve the frame time issues that has been plaguing AMD cards for a while, I would start with the beta driver and if you get any issues you can go to the proper 13.1 release.

Alright, thank you a bunch for all the help here!