Valentine's day jewelry question

So I'm considering Valentine's day jewelry for my girlfriend and I know next to nothing about locations, types, etc. So I'll put what I'm looking for out there and see what you guys can come up with.

What I'm looking for:
    - Earrings
    - Silver or inlaid silver strongly preferred
    - $50-$100 range
    - Maybe a chance to support a smaller jewelry maker?

About her:
    - Japanese/K-pop culture fan (at least in the recent past)
    - Big metal head. Death/Viking metal primarily.
    - Huge gamer. X-box/PS3 primarily. Some WoW.
    - Somewhat of a punk-rock/artsy style. She loves ear jewelry (hence why I'm thinking earrings)

So, based on the characteristics, what do you guys and gals think would be an appropriate VDay present? I was thinking something in pewter with some sort of mythical creature outline, like a dragon encircling the ear or a vampire's fangs dangling from a stud. Or maybe something darker, like a skull or some other sort of dark image.

Where would I find something like this online? (Or maybe, if you live in the Midwest area, a place to look somewhat locally). I would really appreciate the input! Thanks.

Deleted
    I don't know much with that budget but you can find a ton of stuff on Ebay that'll prolly be what you are looking for, you know your girl better then us internet folks.

But uhm:

Wat ? That's like mixing water with fire.

My advice would be to look at the jewelry she already has and find something similar to that. Basically if she has necklaces and bracelets with certain metals or stones look for earring with the same color/relative size stones. Also if she likes certain styles of earrings more than others look for those, dangly, hoop, stud, ect.

As for supporting a smaller business, look online at the big jewelry stores to get an idea of what you want and bring a picture with you to another store.

Quote Originally Posted by Apollet View Post
    - Silver or inlaid silver strongly preferred
    i would make damned sure she can wear this. metal sensitivity is fairly common. if there is any doubt, i would recommend white gold, 14 carat or better to be sure
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Deleted
    Etsy is worth a look too. They tend to have more unusual pieces that I think would fit your girlfriend's style and it's mostly handmade so you would be supporting smaller businesses too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll second etsy. There are TONS of stuff on there with gaming themes and good quality. You'd be hard pressed to find anything remotely gaming related locally.

Quote Originally Posted by Wookeh View Post
    I don't know much with that budget but you can find a ton of stuff on Ebay that'll prolly be what you are looking for, you know your girl better then us internet folks.

But uhm:

Wat ? That's like mixing water with fire.
    No it really isn't....

~K/Jpop, heavy metal fan (some death - probably viking if i knew what the genre actually was.. sub genres always confuse me)

Quote Originally Posted by hayls View Post
    Etsy is worth a look too. They tend to have more unusual pieces that I think would fit your girlfriend's style and it's mostly handmade so you would be supporting smaller businesses too.
    I would say this too, a lot of the sellers will post stuff nicely giftwrapped, and a lot of the stuff is not too expensive like a "real" jewellery shop where you you can be looking at 100s for anything.

You will know whatever you bought her supports small home-businesses and crafts people mostly, and will be fairly unique

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    i would make damned sure she can wear this. metal sensitivity is fairly common. if there is any doubt, i would recommend white gold, 14 carat or better to be sure
    Side note, I have a (mild) allergy/sensitivity to nickel, so I've researched this a bit. A lot (most?) of the white gold in the US gets its color by mixing with nickel, so I can actually be more sensitive to that than to sterling silver (depending on the quality of each).

Interestingly, European white gold tends to be mixed with other metals, so it's fine.

Realistically, unless she's specifically mentioned it, if she has a lot of silver jewelry that's not super-expensive, it's probably fine either way.

10+ Year Old Account

Boom.

Plus they gift wrap so you get the ThinkGeek zombie wrap. It looks really nice.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Don't buy someone jewelry for valentines day.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Side note, I have a (mild) allergy/sensitivity to nickel, so I've researched this a bit. A lot (most?) of the white gold in the US gets its color by mixing with nickel, so I can actually be more sensitive to that than to sterling silver (depending on the quality of each).

Interestingly, European white gold tends to be mixed with other metals, so it's fine.
    ah, i did not know that, thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Don't buy someone jewelry for valentines day.
    As a woman in my mid 20s. Dont do it. Unless its non-jeweled. Like a solid pair metal of earings. But get real diamonds if you want something shiny. Spend money on something good- most ladies hands/fingers/ear holes will turn green if its not real

Unless you KNOW your woman and have been together nope.

Get her something else.

I also agree about not getting jewelry. Earrings, especially, are easy to get "wrong." If you insist, ask her mother for suggestions. Really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Use the money you'd spend on jewelry and take her on an adventure.

Sky diving, go kart racing, make a day of it and build some memories, they will last forever.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    My girlfriend said "Do not give her a ring on Valentines Day, unless it's THE ring"
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uennie View Post

Boom.

Plus they gift wrap so you get the ThinkGeek zombie wrap. It looks really nice.
    Nice. I wear animal jewellery too. Snakes, tiger heads etc