Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
... LastLast
  1. #81

    Post

    That hit home.

    This has been a problem in WoW for a long time. I remember back in TBC a Warrior applying to my guild when I was GM.

    We put him through his paces in 5 mans as a test of his tanking skills and he struggled. He was a friend of someone in the guild and new to the game, had a good attitude but just lacked the knowledge.

    After the run I had a long discussion with him about class mechanics and tanking on Vent, being the main tank and class leader (yes class leaders that old dead concept from classic of people who gave advice and looked after their class in guild).

    I helped him to up his game, and he became a valued member. In the end I told people to remember when they were new, their own mistakes and learning, to have patience and help him out. He became one of our most dedicated raiders.

    Today that is happening less and less, everyone is just totally rude with no patience whatsoever because everyone they always group with are strangers and it has no impact on them.

    Kudos to the guy who helped the outcast warrior out, it says a lot for the kind of person he is.

  2. #82
    This was maybe the best post ever on MMO-C.

    Thank you.
    When I go to a carnival and drop 5 bucks on a -game- I don't bitch because I didn't win the biggest stuffed bear.
    Roahn the warlock, 13/08/2012
    One of the smartest ways of telling people who QQ about "special stuff" to STFU.

  3. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by Briga View Post
    That hit home.

    This has been a problem in WoW for a long time. I remember back in TBC a Warrior applying to my guild when I was GM.

    We put him through his paces in 5 mans as a test of his tanking skills and he struggled. He was a friend of someone in the guild and new to the game, had a good attitude but just lacked the knowledge.

    After the run I had a long discussion with him about class mechanics and tanking on Vent, being the main tank and class leader (yes class leaders that old dead concept from classic of people who gave advice and looked after their class in guild).

    I helped him to up his game, and he became a valued member. In the end I told people to remember when they were new, their own mistakes and learning, to have patience and help him out. He became one of our most dedicated raiders.

    Today that is happening less and less, everyone is just totally rude with no patience whatsoever because everyone they always group with are strangers and it has no impact on them.

    Kudos to the guy who helped the outcast warrior out, it says a lot for the kind of person he is.
    QFT

    in many years of wow i've seen many players struggling to learn how to play, and nearly 99% of them become better thanks to some kind person that bother to explain the basis to them; those peoples always become valuable and loyal members of a guild that show them respect first and then help them to become better.
    When i read those stories i understand why blizzard is implementing certain future in WoW, to help peoples like him to enjoy the game when the rest of the players take the easy way and bully them.
    I hope that this guy from now on will be helped and integrated in that server
    How about we let the parenting of kids to... their parents? No, seriously, World of Warcraft is a videogame. Gaming it's supposed to be a fun activity (if you have that fun through challenges, social interactions, etc is completely up to you). Not some kind of "School of Hard Knocks about the Real World".

  4. #84
    Over 9000! Snowraven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    European Union
    Posts
    9,038
    Unfortunately in WoW and any other multiplayer games there's a bunch of people who think that just because they're better then others, they are somehow above everyone and act high and mighty, like they're some gods you need to worship. I always hated these people.

    I admit, maybe I did it too, but I never was an elitist. If someone was really bad, I either didn't say anything or tried to help. But if a person is obnoxious, they can be best dps/tanks/healers, I will instantly hate them.

    Overall, unfortunately, just because of this event nothing will really happen. And even if some teaching happens in WoW more to newbs now... it won't last long. And it will be just WoW. But other games have same problem, elitists turning away newbies from the game because they're not good.
    In fact, to support the idea that this status of caring for newbies won't last long, in the warrior's post he said he deserved to be bullied because he didn't know what to do. This shows that even he, the one bullied, thought you should bully bad players, not help them. And this is the sad part actually.

  5. #85
    Damn that got to me. I'm going to make an effort to help out people who are struggling. I'm rarely an elitist or douche but in the past I have often simply moved on and put it out of my mind.
    One cannot simply quit wow his way into Mordor.

  6. #86
    thats a nice story OP =)

  7. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Saying less South Koreans are playing Wow because the gold selling business is tanking isn't racist?
    Actually, no. Saying the SK suck at gold selling because they are Koreans, while the Chinese do fine, could be racist. This is, as Vaelorian said "prejudice against Asian people all being goldsellers".
    Arguing with a troll is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what you do or say, he will just knock over the pieces, take a shit on the board and strut around like he won the whole damn thing.

  8. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Saying less South Koreans are playing Wow because the gold selling business is tanking isn't racist? Seriously? I said it before and I will say it again those who bitch and whine and moan about this community incessantly are typically the worst of the worst themselves. You are a bright shining example of exactly that.
    Wow just because I don't particularly share your opinion about ONE sentence makes me bad and a racist, while not even having written that sentence?

    And then you claim that I am a bright and shining example of why WoW is the way it is? Are you serious? I'd like an apology tbh. If instead I get a response with more accusations, I will not respond.

    Good day sir.

  9. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    Wow. That's a really touching story.

    Things like this are why I don't kick people form groups just for being bad. People who are trolling or insulting others, yes. But poor performance alone I won't kick for.
    Totally agree man. If they are dicks they get the boot, but if they are new or just not as experienced/practised as me/ppl-i-usually-play-with, then I would never kick them, I simply wouldn't be able to sleep at night, knowing this guy/girl maybe is sad because they got bullied and not helped in a computer game.
    The post that topic owner posted touched something in me, I am not even a noob myself (ofc was at some point, all was...), but I feel so sorry for that guy in the story. Encourages me to help new/lesser skilled players even more in the future!

  10. #90
    Waw nice story! Both those guys are so human. I love it. I also love how in the face of tremendous opposition and disrespect of such a large community. The so called *bad* player stays so humble and positive. Appologises but doesn't go in his shell. That is amazing, he keeps his self steam. (little or big parts doesn't matter) So many humans in his case would have perished in a sea of depression. That makes him a very strong person! Loved that story.
    And it makes me happy for being a player since Vanilla, writting all my own macro's, etc...but I always always without exception make time to explain things, have patience, and nice to people who deliver absolute noob fail but want to learn.
    Don't tell them they do it wrong, tell them how they can do it better. Instead of getting angry at noobs, get angry at yourself if you have the inablity to teach others in a productive positive way. Its not the noob that is failing its us that fails to find ways of teaching. One is not elite if he can't teach others in being equally good. You are average untill you can properly teach your ways and help others to become better. Thats a true elite player for me.
    That was one heck of a story!

  11. #91
    A really human story, and a great reminder of exactly what the hells blazes we are doing in our daily gameplay.

    I used to enjoy helping people have a better time in the game, but literal years ago that stopped being a thing. Trying to help people these days is usually met with hostility. Which conditions you, as the helpful person, to expect hostility, which in turn makes you yourself more hostile in attitude.

    At least, that's my assessment of myself.


    Once upon a time I had this noble idea of a Raiding Academy kind of guild. A guild of people who knew their shit, but had the feels in the right place and knew how to talk to people. Let people come and go, teach people willing to learn how to play the game better, and hopefully, how to be a better fellow gamer.

    Obviously that's an idealized.... Idea, that wouldn't really work in todays games. The only game I know that has real communities like that is EVE Online. Red vs Blue, EVE University, Agony Unleashed, and so on. Those guys actually take on people who are brand new to the game, and bring them into an organized group that teaches them how to play the game right.

    Something like that would never work for long in WoW.
    Last edited by Mythricia; 2013-02-08 at 01:34 PM.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

  12. #92
    Herald of the Titans Seriss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    EU-Garrosh
    Posts
    2,816
    Poor guy.

    I think everyone who's read this thread will approach people differently when they log into the game now because stuff like this really hits home.

  13. #93
    The Insane Trassk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Having beers with Dorothy
    Posts
    17,382
    I have always approached players with a certain attitude.

    I can usually assess if someone with either a giant trolls or just a noob. If I believe it to be someone who's a noob, I try and give them the benefit of the doubt, and tell them to try something out, to look on this website for tips and tricks. I won't explode at some for not knowing about the ability, or if they arn't pushing out a ton of damage.
    If its someone who is obviously trolling for the sake of trolling, i tell them to f*** off.

  14. #94
    Is someone cutting onions in here?!

    Warender - Orc Elemental Shaman - Mal'Ganis US

  15. #95
    I get it I understand his point

    otoh I play for fun too, but i don't think it's fun to wipe 2h on a boss because there is a warrior in your group who can't pull 30k dps in 496ilvl
    I don't think his fun is worth anything more than the fun of the other 4, 9 or 24 people he is in a group with

    basic guides to how to gem and reforge are all over the internet, given that he lives in a first world country and has the ability to play WoW I am quite sure he has access to the internet, just fixing those basics (he said he had straight stamina gems) would improve his dps by quite a bit, but he didn't even those basics

    I do think the game is a bit too elitist at times with every mistake being logged and every world of logs being analyzed, but I don't think expecting basic knowledge of your class available all over the web is elitism, just as it for example isn't elitism to expect someone who is on a school project with you to actually do some basic research and be able to contribute

  16. #96
    One of the best posts I've read in MMO-Champ.

    Makes everyone reflect at how we felt when we first played this game, and how we treat those who are just starting to walk our same journey. Do we point and laugh and contribute to the "cesspool" feeling of the community? Or do we reach out and help them become better players?

  17. #97
    I get stuck to the point where the guy doesn't google "warr dps guide".
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRet

    "This server shutdown was so epic not even Illidan was prepared for it"

  18. #98
    Brewmaster xindykawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lost in the twisting nether
    Posts
    1,485
    wow, i have to say, this is trully tuching, ive read all of it, i really hope for him people will give him another chance and another chance to be better, he deserve it.

  19. #99
    Some of us just don't have the time, patience, or care factor to help improve the bottom-feeders.

    Leave it to Blizzard to nerf content enough so they can see it eventually and pen them all together in one massive cesspool. This game is not hard.

    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    "Elo Hell is where the Ego is greater than the Elo." -Bystekhilcar

  20. #100
    Warchief Byniri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    East Lansing, Michigan.
    Posts
    2,226
    This is what absolutely kills the game for me right now; if you're not an extreme min/maxer who has every single BiS piece of gear/reforge/get, you're a "LOL N00B FAGET 1V1 ME BRO CASUAL SCUM BLAZE IT" moron according to the community.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •