Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Great to see the reaction that thread generated! Hope it spreads across WoW and things start to get nicer.
    I've spent my fair share of time helping people that have problems with the game. The most time consuming was a mage in an old guild that was dyslectic and didn't know any english at all. I helped him as much as I could until things started to get strange and he wanted to move to my place since life at his town was shit. And then one of his friends went nuts on vent yelling at the gm.
    Besides him I usually try to give a small helping had answering questions in /trade or during lfd.

That being said, I've been a jerk from time to time as well. A few dungeons in WotLK which I was cranky at some DPSs and they got defended and I asked myself what the hell I was doing.

Dammit I won't be able to pick on people in BG's for like a week now because of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    When I played, I often took those of lesser skill and newbies under my wings to help them out, sort of like a mentor. Watching some of them succeed better than me in Cata and MoP was so fullfilling.

Great story!
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    highlights EXACTLY what is wrong with the game.
    The community, its gone to shit and people just do not care anymore. Its all "me, me, me, me, me" and "what can I get out of it"

The point where he stated (might be lost in translation) "And it was totally my fault that I didn't get to learn those things all this time. And I deserve to be bullied." really makes me angry. No one deserves to be bullied, made to feel like a social outcast etc.

Kinda funny people only attribute this only to WoW and not the online gaming community in general. Also laugh at the same people in this thread that say they feel sorry for the "outsider" when they most likely have made fun of the same type of person.

FFFFF- tearing up in class because of this...
    i really hope he got a a bunch of friends now.. got really inspired to be a better player to my co-players now.
    thanks for warming this hardened heart.
    I like my coffe like my mages.

Deleted
    Shit, right in teh feelings...

No one deserves to be labeled outsider and shouldn't be bullied either... I try to help on my server by giving bags and gold and stuff to new players or people who need help, but now I fell its not enough.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad this is getting attention. However, the fact that threads like these are needed to remind people that they are playing with other people, not npc's, and they should treat them nice in any situation (unless ofcourse it's their intent to ruin your good experience, then just ignore them), is pretty disappointing.

LFD and LFR killed the need to be social. Many other things did the same like free loot, the valor system etc. It's the game that changed not the players. People don't change, environment does.

That is so freaking sad, and i really feel for the dude...

15+ Year Old Account
    This is one of the very reasons I quit WoW for. Once a group of people (in this case an entire server) stop interacting with one another, you get what the WoW community has ended up as: The MMORPG version of Call of Duty.

If there was more interaction between people, and there wasn't so much anonymity between players in dungeons and even LFR, the -entire- community would benefit.

I'm glad to see this happening in parts of the community, or at least to have them take a step in the right direction.
    I had a cool sig... then photobucket ate my pics and now its borked. :/ oh wells...

You know If it were not for the fact that he admitted many people tried to help him and introduced him to informational websites I would feel sorry for the guy.

I mean he clearly wants to play for the social aspect and make some friends, which is very possible without raiding, but he proceeding to ignore all the help offered and be a burden on anyone who invited him into a raid.

In short the dude doesn't deserve sympathy but it's still a heartwarming story due to the kindness of the guy who helped him the returned gratitude and the friendship that formed around it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Read the whole thing.

Really made me sad that he was treated that way after saying he was old and trying to enjoy the game because of stress, damn elitist assholes. Sadly, people think this is just WoW nowadays, but it isn't. This is the internet in general and it's always been in WoW, it's just worse now because of being covered by name/server changes and lfg.

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with this is that when I'm doing LFR or LFG I do see people do bad dps but sometimes I don't bother helping because a run takes 10-15 min then you wont see that person again because your not in the same server.. I don't like LFR or LFG at all and think it's the main reason people are so careless with what they write nowadays.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post

The point where he stated (might be lost in translation) "And it was totally my fault that I didn't get to learn those things all this time. And I deserve to be bullied." really makes me angry. No one deserves to be bullied, made to feel like a social outcast etc.
    Damn straight, the fact he blames himself makes me mad at the assholes complaining.

Deleted
    Sad Story

Though i have to say that most "noobs" don't have the attitude of this specific guy. I normally give advice to people under performing and some take the advice and try to get better like this guy, but about 80% of the people i give advice to start to flame me and tell me how i don't know shit about the game and i should just fuck off because they are awesome and everyone else is bad and this is probably the reason why people just flame insult and kick people who play bad, because in most cases you can't help them even if you try to, instead of listening they will just flame your ears off, because it's easier for them to think its everyone elses fault instead of their own. There are just too many people who's ego is so out of whack that they can't cope with anything that would hurt it, even if its good advice that's ment to help them.

As an example i had a warri tank yesterday in halls of lightning while leveling my hunter and he said we shouldn't attack the mobs until he pulled everything because "he pulls really extreme" so the thing he did was just run past mobs without even auto attacking them, but since they were hitting him in the back and he pulled 2-3 groups at once the healer had to instant heal his ass up. Now he didn't have any aggro on most of the mobs and the healer pulled off of him with healaggro. I and another hunter who was in the group immediatly started to pull mobs off of the healer, tanking 2 with our pets and trying to global 2 and kite the rest somehow, we both did well doing that and we kept our healer alive while the tank was dying somewhere far far away because the healer stopped running after him after he pulled healaggro and started to flash himself and me and the other hunter up so we could take down the mobs. What happend now was that the tank started yelling at me and the other hunter that he said we shouldn't dps while he is pulling ect. and how bad the healer is for letting him die. We explained what he did wrong and he said "it's not his fault that he lost the aggro a warrior has only 1 aoe ability and he has to pull all the mobs together to use it. Giant facepalm here so yeah from this point on the healer focused on healing our pets and we basically tanked the instance with our pets flaming the retard tank until he left the group with the dps warrior that was from his guild, but i think this was more than deserved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Humans are humans. LFR/CRZ etc are features that remove control. So hence it is getting worse. If you can get away with being an ass without repurcussions you (in general) will be an ass much more likely.

Control before was server reputation. You could only be an ass for so long. If you don't believe me there was such a thing as serverreputation - look at that thread named: "Meanwhile in Korea" that is very popular now. While it wasn't a perfect form of control, you cannot but agree that the features named before took away that last small bit of control.
    We're actually in that thread ... right now.

Yes, I can disagree with that because in the end it's all personal responsibility for how we act. On my server recently an Officer of a guild completely fucked over hers and not only tore its raid apart but ninja'd a good chunk of their guild bank. There was a huge backlash for her and still is - which to the last of my knowledge is working wonders with her guilt. She had to return it or she was going to get kicked from her new guild, and almost zero of the good guilds will even look twice at her now. She's also made hundreds of enemies (scattered across dozens of guilds) and gotten tons of in-game hate mail. The only "friends" she has pretty much are just being polite.

These were innovative features that were put in, can't blame the creators because the community decided to ruin it. It is always personal responsibility, and making excuses for why people act the way they do instead of holding them personally accountable is part of the problem.
    Last edited by Uennie; 2013-02-08 at 12:08 PM.

Back when I first started (this was during BC and seemingly when the players were more friendly) I only had one friend who didn't have much time to help me learn things so I was more or less on my own it took awhile for me to get the hang of what I was doing. For the most part I was anti-social during it because I didn't want to feel like a burden or weigh down anyone else's fun/time, Seeing how the community has changed and I felt awful asking for help back then I'd shudder at the thought of having to start over at this point, over the years I've brought on new friends and did my best to teach them and show them the ropes for hours at a time if need be and do my best to go out the way if I see any of my guildies struggling. I hope this post and those people's courage to share their stories help people remember there are actual People behind those pixels.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

Deleted

That hit home.

This has been a problem in WoW for a long time. I remember back in TBC a Warrior applying to my guild when I was GM.

We put him through his paces in 5 mans as a test of his tanking skills and he struggled. He was a friend of someone in the guild and new to the game, had a good attitude but just lacked the knowledge.

After the run I had a long discussion with him about class mechanics and tanking on Vent, being the main tank and class leader (yes class leaders that old dead concept from classic of people who gave advice and looked after their class in guild).

I helped him to up his game, and he became a valued member. In the end I told people to remember when they were new, their own mistakes and learning, to have patience and help him out. He became one of our most dedicated raiders.

Today that is happening less and less, everyone is just totally rude with no patience whatsoever because everyone they always group with are strangers and it has no impact on them.

Kudos to the guy who helped the outcast warrior out, it says a lot for the kind of person he is.

Deleted
    This was maybe the best post ever on MMO-C.

Thank you.