Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Briga View Post
    That hit home.

This has been a problem in WoW for a long time. I remember back in TBC a Warrior applying to my guild when I was GM.

We put him through his paces in 5 mans as a test of his tanking skills and he struggled. He was a friend of someone in the guild and new to the game, had a good attitude but just lacked the knowledge.

After the run I had a long discussion with him about class mechanics and tanking on Vent, being the main tank and class leader (yes class leaders that old dead concept from classic of people who gave advice and looked after their class in guild).

I helped him to up his game, and he became a valued member. In the end I told people to remember when they were new, their own mistakes and learning, to have patience and help him out. He became one of our most dedicated raiders.

Today that is happening less and less, everyone is just totally rude with no patience whatsoever because everyone they always group with are strangers and it has no impact on them.

Kudos to the guy who helped the outcast warrior out, it says a lot for the kind of person he is.
    QFT

in many years of wow i've seen many players struggling to learn how to play, and nearly 99% of them become better thanks to some kind person that bother to explain the basis to them; those peoples always become valuable and loyal members of a guild that show them respect first and then help them to become better.
    When i read those stories i understand why blizzard is implementing certain future in WoW, to help peoples like him to enjoy the game when the rest of the players take the easy way and bully them.
    I hope that this guy from now on will be helped and integrated in that server
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Deleted
    Unfortunately in WoW and any other multiplayer games there's a bunch of people who think that just because they're better then others, they are somehow above everyone and act high and mighty, like they're some gods you need to worship. I always hated these people.

I admit, maybe I did it too, but I never was an elitist. If someone was really bad, I either didn't say anything or tried to help. But if a person is obnoxious, they can be best dps/tanks/healers, I will instantly hate them.

Overall, unfortunately, just because of this event nothing will really happen. And even if some teaching happens in WoW more to newbs now... it won't last long. And it will be just WoW. But other games have same problem, elitists turning away newbies from the game because they're not good.
    In fact, to support the idea that this status of caring for newbies won't last long, in the warrior's post he said he deserved to be bullied because he didn't know what to do. This shows that even he, the one bullied, thought you should bully bad players, not help them. And this is the sad part actually.

Deleted
    Damn that got to me. I'm going to make an effort to help out people who are struggling. I'm rarely an elitist or douche but in the past I have often simply moved on and put it out of my mind.

15+ Year Old Account
    thats a nice story OP =)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Saying less South Koreans are playing Wow because the gold selling business is tanking isn't racist?
    Actually, no. Saying the SK suck at gold selling because they are Koreans, while the Chinese do fine, could be racist. This is, as Vaelorian said "prejudice against Asian people all being goldsellers".

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Saying less South Koreans are playing Wow because the gold selling business is tanking isn't racist? Seriously? I said it before and I will say it again those who bitch and whine and moan about this community incessantly are typically the worst of the worst themselves. You are a bright shining example of exactly that.
    Wow just because I don't particularly share your opinion about ONE sentence makes me bad and a racist, while not even having written that sentence?

And then you claim that I am a bright and shining example of why WoW is the way it is? Are you serious? I'd like an apology tbh. If instead I get a response with more accusations, I will not respond.

Good day sir.

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    Wow. That's a really touching story.

Things like this are why I don't kick people form groups just for being bad. People who are trolling or insulting others, yes. But poor performance alone I won't kick for.
    Totally agree man. If they are dicks they get the boot, but if they are new or just not as experienced/practised as me/ppl-i-usually-play-with, then I would never kick them, I simply wouldn't be able to sleep at night, knowing this guy/girl maybe is sad because they got bullied and not helped in a computer game.
    The post that topic owner posted touched something in me, I am not even a noob myself (ofc was at some point, all was...), but I feel so sorry for that guy in the story. Encourages me to help new/lesser skilled players even more in the future!

Deleted
    Waw nice story! Both those guys are so human. I love it. I also love how in the face of tremendous opposition and disrespect of such a large community. The so called *bad* player stays so humble and positive. Appologises but doesn't go in his shell. That is amazing, he keeps his self steam. (little or big parts doesn't matter) So many humans in his case would have perished in a sea of depression. That makes him a very strong person! Loved that story.
    And it makes me happy for being a player since Vanilla, writting all my own macro's, etc...but I always always without exception make time to explain things, have patience, and nice to people who deliver absolute noob fail but want to learn.
    Don't tell them they do it wrong, tell them how they can do it better. Instead of getting angry at noobs, get angry at yourself if you have the inablity to teach others in a productive positive way. Its not the noob that is failing its us that fails to find ways of teaching. One is not elite if he can't teach others in being equally good. You are average untill you can properly teach your ways and help others to become better. Thats a true elite player for me.
    That was one heck of a story!

A really human story, and a great reminder of exactly what the hells blazes we are doing in our daily gameplay.

I used to enjoy helping people have a better time in the game, but literal years ago that stopped being a thing. Trying to help people these days is usually met with hostility. Which conditions you, as the helpful person, to expect hostility, which in turn makes you yourself more hostile in attitude.

At least, that's my assessment of myself.

Once upon a time I had this noble idea of a Raiding Academy kind of guild. A guild of people who knew their shit, but had the feels in the right place and knew how to talk to people. Let people come and go, teach people willing to learn how to play the game better, and hopefully, how to be a better fellow gamer.

Obviously that's an idealized.... Idea, that wouldn't really work in todays games. The only game I know that has real communities like that is EVE Online. Red vs Blue, EVE University, Agony Unleashed, and so on. Those guys actually take on people who are brand new to the game, and bring them into an organized group that teaches them how to play the game right.

Something like that would never work for long in WoW.
    Last edited by Mythricia; 2013-02-08 at 01:34 PM.
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like more than half of you more than you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Poor guy.

I think everyone who's read this thread will approach people differently when they log into the game now because stuff like this really hits home.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have always approached players with a certain attitude.

I can usually assess if someone with either a giant trolls or just a noob. If I believe it to be someone who's a noob, I try and give them the benefit of the doubt, and tell them to try something out, to look on this website for tips and tricks. I won't explode at some for not knowing about the ability, or if they arn't pushing out a ton of damage.
    If its someone who is obviously trolling for the sake of trolling, i tell them to f*** off.

Is someone cutting onions in here?!

Warender - Orc Enhancement Shaman - Mal'Ganis US

I get it I understand his point

otoh I play for fun too, but i don't think it's fun to wipe 2h on a boss because there is a warrior in your group who can't pull 30k dps in 496ilvl
    I don't think his fun is worth anything more than the fun of the other 4, 9 or 24 people he is in a group with

basic guides to how to gem and reforge are all over the internet, given that he lives in a first world country and has the ability to play WoW I am quite sure he has access to the internet, just fixing those basics (he said he had straight stamina gems) would improve his dps by quite a bit, but he didn't even those basics

I do think the game is a bit too elitist at times with every mistake being logged and every world of logs being analyzed, but I don't think expecting basic knowledge of your class available all over the web is elitism, just as it for example isn't elitism to expect someone who is on a school project with you to actually do some basic research and be able to contribute

One of the best posts I've read in MMO-Champ.

Makes everyone reflect at how we felt when we first played this game, and how we treat those who are just starting to walk our same journey. Do we point and laugh and contribute to the "cesspool" feeling of the community? Or do we reach out and help them become better players?

Deleted
    I get stuck to the point where the guy doesn't google "warr dps guide".

10+ Year Old Account
    wow, i have to say, this is trully tuching, ive read all of it, i really hope for him people will give him another chance and another chance to be better, he deserve it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some of us just don't have the time, patience, or care factor to help improve the bottom-feeders.

Leave it to Blizzard to nerf content enough so they can see it eventually and pen them all together in one massive cesspool. This game is not hard.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is what absolutely kills the game for me right now; if you're not an extreme min/maxer who has every single BiS piece of gear/reforge/get, you're a "LOL N00B FAGET 1V1 ME BRO CASUAL SCUM BLAZE IT" moron according to the community.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    Some of us just don't have the time, patience, or care factor to help improve the bottom-feeders.

Leave it to Blizzard to nerf content enough so they can see it eventually and pen them all together in one massive cesspool. This game is not hard.
    Is this game hard? No, the majority of it isn't. What is making this game hard and unforgiving is the community. People have no patience whatsoever, they only care for themselves and are in general douchebags who blame their own shortcomings onto others. It's not even the hardcore bunch that is doing it, it's your average joe who while being "decent" or "average" isn't really good himself.

I recently introduced a friend of mine to WoW and because she wanted to heal and was afraid of messing up I took the role of the tank during our leveling experience so she could get used to it. In hindsight it was the right thing, not because healing itself is very hard but because people do make it hard. There were a lot of DPS pulling random mob packs during the leveling phase and then yelling at her for dropping below 50% hp (even though they most of the time did not die, untill I told her to stop healing them) and trying to kick her for being a bad healer, she really wasn't.
    It was mostly DPS who were far below me in dmg, completely decked out in heirlooms these people couldn't do a damn thing right. They were backpeddling, often were dps in blood presence and some other nice things.

A great many people on this game are pseudo elitist douchebags who get a thrill from trash talking other people whom they deem below themselves despite the fact that most of them have nothing whatsoever to actually base their contempt for new/players the think are bad on. It's the whole 4-8k achievment baddie crowd with their 300 arena victories never having been able to break 1550 on any bracket and an RBG rating of 1,1k.

It's the same with the people feeling the need to camp low level players, often for hours, loling and spitting at them. These players are driving out new and old players by making their gaming experience horrible. Blizzards stance on this occurence alone is beyond retarded, pretty much giving free reigns to people who are usually A. bad and B. don't care about the game and community at all.
    I always laugh when these people tell others to get off PvP servers and "deal with it", because it is the exact same bunch being douchebags in random dungeons/lfr and other places. They are not high rated PvPers, often they hardly do PvP at all having somewhere around 50-100 PvP achievments at most, never actually made it to 1550 arenas or RBG's these players get their kicks from being sadists against those who can't fight back.
    Being told by some 300 arena victory scrub who never achieved 1550 when I am currently around 2,3k that obviously I ought to do PvE and get off a PvP realm because I disagree with their stance of tormenting low level and new players for hours is completly ridiculous but shows very well why it's so hard for new players to actually get into the game.

These people are destroying the PvE community, they are wrecking PvP players killing off badly needed new blood by bullying them out of the game and in general do the game no good. Sadly it's exactly those people that seem to get what they want because they cry the loudest on the forums.

Deleted
    We have a guy like that in our raid guild, he ist hated as he is a really nice guy but he isnt a spring chicken so suffers alot on DPS but we all really like him as a person and he has come alone way.

I can only reinforce community and helping others, don't be a dick to people, as bill and ted once said "Be excellent to each other".