Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ...
5
6
7
8
9
LastLast
  1. #121
    Titan apepi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mostly harmless
    Posts
    11,683
    Did the guy improve?

    I am glad I sometimes help get people 2k in rbgs, if you already know how to play your class you really just need the experience. I saw this one druid do horrible but then each week he got better and better and by the end of the week he was actually holding his own. He ended up getting 2.1k Rating, some people just need to be put in the right position and they will get better.
    Last edited by apepi; 2013-02-09 at 12:33 AM.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

  2. #122
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiinji View Post
    Before LfD and all that cross server dungeon stuff everyone on the server knew everyone.
    I don't see how your argument helps
    the guys problem is that people do know him
    Hmm... he was quite infamous in our server. DPS below tanks. "The Hole". He was well-known by raid leaders for his lack of skills which eventually break apart any raids.

  3. #123
    I know a similar guy and I'm teaching him WoW play mechanics for 6 years now.
    He is friendly but a very very slow learner and forgets many stuff.
    But I continue to help him, I don't know why




  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by Saksy View Post
    People started talking about how much they sucked when they first played this game, and shared how brutal and non-forgiving they are to other players nowadays, leaving no room for mistakes or lack of skills.
    I feel its a consequence of most raidbosses allowing no room for error.

    You simply *cannot* bring a tank with you to a raid that takes 2 seconds to taunt, when the boss will wipe you after 1 second.

    As a guildleader who tries to promote raiding in an inclusive family guild, its often difficult to find content thats worthwhile to the majority of those present while still being accessible to the broad range of skill levels.

    Personally, I would have grabbed up the 'exile' into my guild in a heartbeat, and any guildie that objected would be shown the door. He not only showed that he was willing and able to learn, but that he showed tangible improvement over only a couple hours. Most 'raiders' don't seem to improve at all over a whole expansion...

  5. #125
    Titan PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    11,557
    Getting to this late.

    For reference, this is the original post, copy-pasta'd in the OP.

    This story has made its way to Reddit as well.

    I'll just quote the response I made on Reddit:

    This, for me, completely summarizes the sort of... I dunno, social decay? with WoW, which seemed to start with Cataclysm.

    Tools like LFD and LFR are absolutely great for being able to log in, get your purples, and log out... but they absolutely shatter the feeling of community in the game, and nearly entirely remove the need for socializing. I recently returned to WoW after something like a year-long break (quit around halfway through Dragon Soul's tenure), and even though I play with a few friends regularly, it still feels more like a single player game than a multiplayer game... let alone an MMO.

    I think that, in their pursuit of instant gratification to keep people happy, Blizzard have forgotten what was arguably what made WoW (vanilla, TBC, and Wrath) so great - the social aspect.

    Especially in regards to vanilla and TBC, where guilds were necessary because guilds had to pool resources in order to accumulate the equipment needed for progression (I remember when having a 300-point blacksmith, enchanter, alchemist, leatherworker, and engineer was a mark of considerable status for a guild.) Now? Well, I talk to some of my guildies - and this is a guild I've been in since 2004, mind - but the vast majority of people in it are complete strangers. There's no more of the "friends and family" vibe we had throughout all of vanilla, TBC, and Wrath. And while I can't attribute all of this lost feeling to changes made by the WoW team (after all, people get bored of the game, real life intrudes, or they just simply kind of disappear), they have certainly been a major contributing factor.

    I dunno. This story makes me happy and sad at the same time; happy because some people finally woke the fuck up and realized they're talking to and playing with other human beings, but sad because the nature of the game makes it so easy for this (marginalization of others because they aren't "good enough") to happen in the first place.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    The best you people can do is throw insults and lay your perspective on what a real adult is onto me but I will continue to reject them. And you will try and try again, force me into submission but I will continue to press on.
    MMOC IRC!

  6. #126
    Hello everyone, my name is Coreanshammy, an (inactive) officer of the guild Band of Brotherz in Burning Blade US server. I am the OP (translator), and I have to say I never expected this amount of reactions and responses. I thought I owe it to you to keep you updated on what happened afterwards.

    There was apparently an overwhelming amount of help sent this warrior's way. People sent gold, BoE gears, and encouraging words in letters and whispers. One of the most prominent add-on creators in the Korean WoW community tailored a specific set of add-ons and UI for him. The most well-known and successful mentor-raid leader in Korea transferred to Zul'jin server to help this guy, and they organized a mentor raid the next week for 25-man normal MSV.

    Almost half of the raid were new to the 25N MSV, and they killed Elegon in a few hours they had. They tried the last boss once but had to call it after one wipe due to the schedule. This whole event was broadcasted through the Korean version of Twitch, and hundreds and thousands of players watched the newbies learn and grow. The Outcast Warrior was able to get some upgrades, and his DPS got much better.

    As many of you did as well, some Korean players doubted whether this was all made up or not. It was only natural for anyone to do so because the Outcast Warrior received an enormous amount of assistance due to this whole development. However, it was quite easy to confirm that nothing was made up here, because the whole Zul'jin (Korea) server knew this guy. He was that infamous at one point. And hundreds and thousands of people watched the mentor raid on the Korean version of Twitch. They witnessed how the warrior got better.

    So in the end, EVERYBODY WON. And they had fun. Sure they'll forget about all this at some point. But oh well, that was a lot of fun... Right?

    I really appreciate each and one of you taking time to read my original post and giving your thoughts and experiences. Even Zarhym tweeted that Ghostcrawler showed him my post, saying my post was the "Required reading material for Warcraft players", so I was really honored to see that. You can find the tweet in Zarhym's Twitter account.

    Thank you everyone. This is the community we are in.

  7. #127
    The story is "great", but the truth is that with or without LFG and LFR there are like 37 billion sites that will tell you exactly what the fuck to press and when to get good dps. Not to mention stat priorities, gems, enchants and my big ass too. So yeah, "I suck so much because there is no community to suck my dick for hours until I get it to gem for strength" is not really working on me... The only excuse he could have is that being Korean and maybe not knowing English, he doesn't have access to the same resources. Unfortunately this doesn't apply to our servers...

    And not to mention the ones I tried myself to "help" by pointing them politely to some web resources ("go fuck yourself, genius") lol

  8. #128
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosotti View Post
    The story is "great", but the truth is that with or without LFG and LFR there are like 37 billion sites that will tell you exactly what the fuck to press and when to get good dps. Not to mention stat priorities, gems, enchants and my big ass too. So yeah, "I suck so much because there is no community to suck my dick for hours until I get it to gem for strength" is not really working on me... The only excuse he could have is that being Korean and maybe not knowing English, he doesn't have access to the same resources. Unfortunately this doesn't apply to our servers...

    And not to mention the ones I tried myself to "help" by pointing them politely to some web resources ("go fuck yourself, genius") lol
    Respectfully, I feel I must weigh in here. It is different for different people. As difficult as it may be for some of us to comprehend how it could be so, those various sites to which you refer may not always be easily absorbed by some folks. I know people who are very aware of those resources but have not been able to make good use of them, for whatever reason. A lot of them can seem overwhelming with the level/depth of information they present.

    I personally know folks I've directed to those sites who were unable (or, admittedly, unwilling) to make good use of them -- yet, when I took the time to work with them personally and impart my understanding of the information, they were able to make use of that knowledge and dramatically increase their performance. Some people learn differently. I realize that sometimes trying to help results in the rebuffing you've experienced (and that I also have experienced), but I think it's important to note that when it really matters (trying to help your guild; trying to help friends in a different guild; trying to help kind strangers), you must pursue every avenue available -- whether that is pointing out these resources or offering direct assistance.

    Don't get me wrong -- it's not always worth it. But for the times when it is worth it, you can't just say that what worked for you must be good enough for them. If it matters you have to try everything.

  9. #129
    Not wanting to sound insensitive, and although it is a sad story, but what's so unique about this?
    Stuff like this has happened since vanilla, the number of jackasses/elitists just grew as the population grew.
    I recall numerous occasions of new players just needing a break from a guild or some help to get better.

    An example that sticks out, this was back in TBC
    I was one of the dps officers of a decent, but nothing special guild. An ingame friend who I got to know during the leveling of my first char wanted to progress into raiding on his rogue, he was just looking for a guild that would take him and I wanted to bring in him ours. Sure his gear was still lacking, his spec wasn't optimal, but nothing that couldn't be worked on.
    So one night, we're short 1 person for a kara run, I manage to get him into the run, and while he didn't do anything wrong, of course he gets out-dps'ed by players in far better gear on bosses he did for the first time ever. One of the dps officers who was a rogue goes "OMG HE'S SO BAD, HE CAN'T JOIN US, THAT SPEC IS SO NOOB!". So he was declined...
    Later he did get his break in another guild, and went on to become the top Rogue in the nr1 guild in on the realm & battlegroup during the rest of TBC/Wrath.
    The officer rogue? He never went on to do anything of significance beyond kara.

  10. #130
    Here has been quiet a lot of talk about guides.

    I have tried to educate myself with different guides, but often times the vast amount of deep information just manages to make it actually harder for me to learn. I dont know how to fix that, but i think there is always room for improvement in how to present that information, cut it into more understanable pieces. The excess amount of math and complicately written intructions instantly just makes me overwhelmed. The end result of all this is, that I just try to pick up what I think are the absolute neccesary points and just ignore the rest of the guide and try to figure out things myself.

  11. #131
    Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    Here has been quiet a lot of talk about guides.

    I have tried to educate myself with different guides, but often times the vast amount of deep information just manages to make it actually harder for me to learn. I dont know how to fix that, but i think there is always room for improvement in how to present that information, cut it into more understanable pieces. The excess amount of math and complicately written intructions instantly just makes me overwhelmed. The end result of all this is, that I just try to pick up what I think are the absolute neccesary points and just ignore the rest of the guide and try to figure out things myself.
    Some people have ADHD or don't care enough to put in the effort. If you don't put in the effort you perform poorly.
    If you don't pick up approximate stat values, rotation/cd's and talent choices you don't deserve anyone to help you.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRet

    "This server shutdown was so epic not even Illidan was prepared for it"

  12. #132
    Bah, almost got tears in my eyes. People might say it's just a digital world, and your online friends are not real friends, but we're all playing the same game, having fun TOGETHER. We are all friends!! His is a touching story. (Bookmarked and copied!)
    Last edited by rakhakash; 2013-02-12 at 07:35 PM.

  13. #133
    Brewmaster xindykawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lost in the twisting nether
    Posts
    1,485
    i just shared it to my guild website, we need to spread this story, thing can change !

  14. #134
    If you want an example of how LFR and LFD have hurt the community, examine how people behave in LFR vs a Sha pug, it's night and day different.

    There's a motivation to help people when you know you might have to group with them again and there's a motivation to get better when your ability to get invites relies on a certain level of perfomance. Neither of these things is fostered by LFR and LFD. It's also a lot easier to walk away from the game when you have little connection to the people you are playing with. Guilds and server communities kept people playing even when they were feeling a little blah about the game, because quitting meant letting down friends. In the new WoW, if you're bored, what's to keep you going? The chance at another bag of gold in LFR?
    Last edited by ganush; 2013-02-12 at 07:56 PM.

  15. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by ganush View Post
    If you want an example of how LFR and LFD have hurt the community, examine how people behave in LFR vs a Sha pug, it's night and day different.
    No, it's not. No one remembers my name after a Sha pug, no matter what I do. I afked, I wiped the group, but I always get invited to any Sha pug that I ask. Nobody knows the 1000+ people on their server any better then the people in LFR.
    Arguing with a troll is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what you do or say, he will just knock over the pieces, take a shit on the board and strut around like he won the whole damn thing.

  16. #136
    Quote Originally Posted by Saksy View Post
    Hello everyone, my name is Coreanshammy, an (inactive) officer of the guild Band of Brotherz in Burning Blade US server. I am the OP (translator), and I have to say I never expected this amount of reactions and responses. I thought I owe it to you to keep you updated on what happened afterwards.

    There was apparently an overwhelming amount of help sent this warrior's way. People sent gold, BoE gears, and encouraging words in letters and whispers. One of the most prominent add-on creators in the Korean WoW community tailored a specific set of add-ons and UI for him. The most well-known and successful mentor-raid leader in Korea transferred to Zul'jin server to help this guy, and they organized a mentor raid the next week for 25-man normal MSV.

    Almost half of the raid were new to the 25N MSV, and they killed Elegon in a few hours they had. They tried the last boss once but had to call it after one wipe due to the schedule. This whole event was broadcasted through the Korean version of Twitch, and hundreds and thousands of players watched the newbies learn and grow. The Outcast Warrior was able to get some upgrades, and his DPS got much better.

    As many of you did as well, some Korean players doubted whether this was all made up or not. It was only natural for anyone to do so because the Outcast Warrior received an enormous amount of assistance due to this whole development. However, it was quite easy to confirm that nothing was made up here, because the whole Zul'jin (Korea) server knew this guy. He was that infamous at one point. And hundreds and thousands of people watched the mentor raid on the Korean version of Twitch. They witnessed how the warrior got better.

    So in the end, EVERYBODY WON. And they had fun. Sure they'll forget about all this at some point. But oh well, that was a lot of fun... Right?

    I really appreciate each and one of you taking time to read my original post and giving your thoughts and experiences. Even Zarhym tweeted that Ghostcrawler showed him my post, saying my post was the "Required reading material for Warcraft players", so I was really honored to see that. You can find the tweet in Zarhym's Twitter account.

    Thank you everyone. This is the community we are in.
    This made a giant smile on my face

  17. #137
    Brewmaster xindykawai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lost in the twisting nether
    Posts
    1,485
    Quote Originally Posted by Saksy View Post
    Hello everyone, my name is Coreanshammy, an (inactive) officer of the guild Band of Brotherz in Burning Blade US server. I am the OP (translator), and I have to say I never expected this amount of reactions and responses. I thought I owe it to you to keep you updated on what happened afterwards.

    There was apparently an overwhelming amount of help sent this warrior's way. People sent gold, BoE gears, and encouraging words in letters and whispers. One of the most prominent add-on creators in the Korean WoW community tailored a specific set of add-ons and UI for him. The most well-known and successful mentor-raid leader in Korea transferred to Zul'jin server to help this guy, and they organized a mentor raid the next week for 25-man normal MSV.

    Almost half of the raid were new to the 25N MSV, and they killed Elegon in a few hours they had. They tried the last boss once but had to call it after one wipe due to the schedule. This whole event was broadcasted through the Korean version of Twitch, and hundreds and thousands of players watched the newbies learn and grow. The Outcast Warrior was able to get some upgrades, and his DPS got much better.

    As many of you did as well, some Korean players doubted whether this was all made up or not. It was only natural for anyone to do so because the Outcast Warrior received an enormous amount of assistance due to this whole development. However, it was quite easy to confirm that nothing was made up here, because the whole Zul'jin (Korea) server knew this guy. He was that infamous at one point. And hundreds and thousands of people watched the mentor raid on the Korean version of Twitch. They witnessed how the warrior got better.

    So in the end, EVERYBODY WON. And they had fun. Sure they'll forget about all this at some point. But oh well, that was a lot of fun... Right?

    I really appreciate each and one of you taking time to read my original post and giving your thoughts and experiences. Even Zarhym tweeted that Ghostcrawler showed him my post, saying my post was the "Required reading material for Warcraft players", so I was really honored to see that. You can find the tweet in Zarhym's Twitter account.

    Thank you everyone. This is the community we are in.
    i had some tears of joy reading this, seriously

    im really happy he got the attention he deserved and the help he wanted, im glad to see the community got together to help him.

  18. #138
    I rarely come across threads that have an impact on my perspectives of the game and the community. I'm very glad you posted this - I would be encouraged if this message resonates to even a small fraction of the WoW community. Its too easy to forget sometimes that the people who play the game are just that: people. I would hope that the community could help those that are struggling with mechanics, and not condemn them.

    Great post

  19. #139
    Stood in the Fire Satanous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Detroit
    Posts
    390
    Am I the only one who read it and just thought meh. I mean it sucks to be the "outcast" and all but lfr was made for just that reason. And before people start blaming lfr and lfd for community problems blacklisting people like the warrior is what people liked about server only stuff you knew who was terrible.

  20. #140
    One of the few posts I have read in 7 years of forum lurking that was worth every letter. It describes the very problem with the gaming community of today

    ---------- Post added 2013-02-12 at 10:00 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Satanous View Post
    Am I the only one who read it and just thought meh. I mean it sucks to be the "outcast" and all but lfr was made for just that reason. And before people start blaming lfr and lfd for community problems blacklisting people like the warrior is what people liked about server only stuff you knew who was terrible.
    Honestly, long before LFR, there was a glorious community who wouldn't call out 'Noob' every 20 or so mins because somebody asked a question in trade about the best spec, where to quest etc etc.

    The first time I noticed people called out 'Don't join X dude' on my server, was probably around Sunwell.
    Last edited by ExtremeActionTess; 2013-02-12 at 09:02 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •