Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Rose coloured glasses off people. Things were just as bad coming to the end of Vanilla as it is now.

The reason why things were like a field of flowers back in Vanilla was BECAUSE it was new. There were no sites telling you what gear was best, what spec was best, rotation, etc. It was still a learning experience.

Yet despite this there were expected roles. Warriors were tanks.

Paladins, Druids, Priests and Shamans were healers.

The rest were dps.

I'm sure we've all met a guy who was bad, but a nice guy. And we felt sorry for him. Some can be helped, some can't. UNfortunately based on the reaction from his server he'd been doing things wrongly for so long that no one was willing to give him another chance. This is the server's fault in part, but also his own. It doesn't take long to look up a few details on your class, ESPECIALLY if you're doing less dps than the tank.
    STRESS
    The confusion caused when one's mind
    overrides the body's basic
    desire to choke the living shit out of
    some jerk who desperately needs it

Deleted
    A little bit overdramatic.

And this

I know you don't even want to see my face, but I just like being in a community. I know you do not want to see me around, so I just hide myself around mountains or corners of big cities...
    really made me laugh. Is he serious?

On topic though, I can still remember how it was for me when I started to get into heroic dungeons and raiding at the end of WotLK, how bad I was and how some people kept insulting me, wouldn't invite me into their group and how at some point I even wanted to quit the game over it. I didn't and I got better, but a lot of players really take it to heart.

There was this girl I used to play with, she was mostly into rep grinding, doing quests, stuff like loremaster, getting achievements. I met her when I was soloing something in BRD for something, I think the Onyxia questline. She saw I was in there and asked me if she could join my group because she needed to complete some quests in there. I think it was at level 70, at the end of TBC. I was 70, and so was she. She could've easily just soloed it, but felt more confident with someone helping her. She was really sweet. Told me she left her guild because they complained about how bad she was and kept pressuring her into playing the game in a certain way. We talked a lot in game, did a lot of stuff together, really nice person. I remember one day, she was invited to a raid. She was really excited and nervous. Afterwards I asked her how it was. She just replied "I don't want to talk about it.", logged off, and I didn't see her for a couple of days. She always felt insecure playing with other players, so I tried to play a lot with her, as she felt comfortable enough playing with me.

Another girl I knew, I played a lot with her, but then she switched servers with her main to go into her boyfriend's guild. We were pretty close, talked a lot on skype, leveled alts. She played a feral druid in her main guild and started to raid Naxxramas (80) with them. Her guild told her that her DPS were pretty bad and she had to work on that. So she did. She read guides, got advice from me and other players, tried to get the rotation right - did anything to increase her DPS. After a while she felt pretty confident and was eager to prove that she's gotten better. When they raided Naxxramas again, she kept telling me how much her DPS had improved and how proud she was. They fought Thaddius, and as I remember the encounter, there was some gimmick that improved your damage output. So she read the DPS results from the fight, saw the high numbers and posted them in guild chat and was really proud. Until one of their guild mates commented that it's "really nothing to be proud of". She was crushed. She called me and cried, really cried actual tears, about how much effort she put into it and how it was still not enough for them and how she would never play this game again. Well she did continue to play but I think her guild mates really didn't realize how much it hurt her to be told that she was basically useless.

I think the player's attitude towards other players, especially ones that aren't as experienced yet, is one of the worst things in this game.
    Last edited by mmocedbf46d113; 2013-02-13 at 12:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Poor guy. You know times are tough IRL when he says something like 'hiding in the game because I know I'm not wanted in the cities'.
    He needs some ingame hugs.

Think it wouldn't hurt to show more appreciation for the people we play with. Even that one guy that keeps fucking up the interrupts at Ambershaper.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    A little bit overdramatic.

And this

really made me laugh. Is he serious?

etc.
    gaming is very serious there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saksy View Post
    In South Korea, World of Warcraft's popularity has been certainly waning down.
    That's because they still got common sense left and dont pay for shitty product what is same old in different package. They could have made outworld gameplay so much more innovative, but what they did was just put stupid mostly 99% mind-numbing daily qs. Thats called "same shit in different package".

Right in the feels.

This is why I help EVERYONE. No one should be brought to that situation like that poor warr. Bah I needs to hug him now.
    http://samaramon.co/
    My transmog & misc. blog!

I don't understand the OP's quoted post's story at all. The guy played the game for an apparently very long time, was feeling horrible about how bad he was at the game, and the way it was making other people treat him, but in spite of this he hadn't even bothered to google (or whatever the korean equivalent is, I don't know) stuff like "wow dps" and reading what to do? Really?

Really?

Come on.

There's nothing wrong with asking for help, but if you can't even figure even such basic things as how to do half-decent DPS in wow, after you've played it for god know how long it takes to get to 90 and start raiding toes, then the problem isn't the community; it's you.

The story sounds more to me like a guy taking pity on a small child, or a wounded animal, more than it does like an interaction between human beings.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

I get this feeling. Just yesterday i was in a MGV pug, we had a dk who was keyboard turning, gemmed and enchanted some mix between tank and healer and stood in every crystal mine and didnt pay attention to chains.
    But only one of us raged and went "OMG KICK NUB SCUM". The rest of us pointed out that if a server works to improve its players then the quality of server raiding improves as a whole.
    We talked the guy through what he was doing wrong without the usual passive aggressive put downs and i told him to stick by me for the fight since being on my aff. lock alt i had a little more leway with movement and defensive cooldowns to help him out.

By the end of the night he said "Thanks for the help guys, people normally just tell me to go to websites online but my english reading not so good, usually kicked from groups thanks for help!" and left the night with a pair of epic shoulders for his trouble.

Theres a few things people need to remember with mmos that i think most folks have fogotten.
    1:everyone learns something for the first time at some point, not helping them out just makes the problems last longer
    2:a party only moves as fast as it slowest member.
    3:every single person you play with is a human being and you have no idea what problems they may be dealing with today.
    4ush pause, chill and walk away if you are losing your temper. its just a game.

Things like the OP remind me of some conversations i had with some freinds when talking about how shows like sword arts online and.hack try to represent mmos in a way thats very last gen. We dont meet up and explore the world together and help each other anymore. We b line to endgame and then massage our e-peens as we tell everyone else to "lrn2play".
    I'm not sure when the wow userbase became pretty much identical to the call of duty one, but nothing goods come from it.

Quote Originally Posted by that outcast warrior
    And I deserve to be bullied.
    Noone deserves to be bullied.
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

10+ Year Old Account
    This makes me happy that after so many years, I still haven't lost my soul for prestige.

I'm usually pretty happy to help people. If any rogue ever asks me for advice or help, EVER, I will help them.

I've have given thousands of gold, tons of hours, and lots of advice to new or returning players who were just trying to enjoy their time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Poor guy, really...
    I've always had a heart for the clumsy and weak. They want to play the game like everyone else does. And for years, I have at least one of them in my guild.
    But then, I don't accept elitists in my guild, so there's no problem to begin with.

As for the variety of tools at their disposal... For some reason, there are people who simply cannot learn anything from reading. You could provide them with a simple 2 sentence guide for whatever the topic is, and they would fail to understand the 2 sentences. They need guidance by teachers. They need acoustic help. Someone explaining it, and it sits with them.

Sadly with all the LFG thingy thats been present there wont be any story like this on any NA/EU realms. We get so used to the convenience of region-wide automatic grouping that we dont feel any comunity in our own realms - the community is now consists of guidies, or even worse, raid group. I'm not objecting automatic grouping, as it greatly helps the MMO genre as a whole, where grouping is mandatory, but the cost of realm community is a bit too much IMO.

Offthread, but want to post anyhow. Feel free to ignore my post :\

10+ Year Old Account
    I must have missed when this thread originally went up but getting to see it now, it's really quite touching.

I picked up Tera last week since it went F2P and have been slowly leveling...yesterday I needed to do a dungeon for a storyline quest around level 40 and so I posted in LFG chat that I was looking for a party. Immediately, a max level tank who was standing in the city next to me whispered me and asked me if I wanted him to run me through it. I said I'd be very grateful but being a new player to the game I didn't have anything to give him. He said he didn't want anything, and ended up running me through the dungeon twice. He told me he'd been about to log off but saw me next to him saying I needed a party and figured, why not help me out.

It really got me thinking. I was pretty surprised, and mostly because I can't remember the last time something like that happened in my WoW experiences. I can remember when it used to happen a lot. Sure, I've had people in guilds I've joined offer to do it every now and then, but a complete stranger? Not for quite awhile. I can even remember when I would help out that random pug in a dungeon with some information that might help them out because they weren't doing so well and seemed to want to actually learn. Why don't I do things like that anymore? I don't know.

It's kind of depressing, honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    Another girl I knew, I played a lot with her, but then she switched servers with her main to go into her boyfriend's guild. We were pretty close, talked a lot on skype, leveled alts. She played a feral druid in her main guild and started to raid Naxxramas (80) with them. Her guild told her that her DPS were pretty bad and she had to work on that. So she did. She read guides, got advice from me and other players, tried to get the rotation right - did anything to increase her DPS. After a while she felt pretty confident and was eager to prove that she's gotten better. When they raided Naxxramas again, she kept telling me how much her DPS had improved and how proud she was. They fought Thaddius, and as I remember the encounter, there was some gimmick that improved your damage output. So she read the DPS results from the fight, saw the high numbers and posted them in guild chat and was really proud. Until one of their guild mates commented that it's "really nothing to be proud of". She was crushed. She called me and cried, really cried actual tears, about how much effort she put into it and how it was still not enough for them and how she would never play this game again. Well she did continue to play but I think her guild mates really didn't realize how much it hurt her to be told that she was basically useless.
    Now that's a story that I feel is even more important than OP's.

As mentioned by some and admitted by him himself, this warrior's situation is partially his own problem. It played out good in the end - good for him. But when somebody genuinely tries AND improves, nothing kills any desire to move forward as surely as dismissal from other people.

Just a week ago I had to butt in to my wife's guild voice chat to strike down stupid remarks about "shadow priest slacking" to point that she's doing 90% of her maximum theoretical patchwerk-style fight DPS while on heavy move. Maybe it was half-joke, but I simply don't want those things to even start. Luckily raid leader thought to show a thing or two and brought his own shadow priest to same fight on next try. After reaching a whooping 50% of her DPS, he switched to healing and no further remarks were ever heard again.

However if instead of her that'd be some random player getting those remarks with nobody to stand for him, he might stopped raiding that night. Makes me wonder... they had some other girl playing mage that they too often pressed about DPS. I didn't see her in their raid group for some weeks for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    This sums up my thoughts well. The game is not that hard. And further, the number of resources out there are ridiculously vast. I understand that things like rotations and combat reactions can be a challenge. But questions like, "What should I gem?", "How should I reforge?" and "Which stats are the ones that benefit my class/role?" can be answered, literally, with seconds of searching.

Getting from "bad" to "decent" requires next to no effort. People who are failing at the basic questions listed above are almost universally not trying. In my opinion, most bad players deserve what they get. If you’re not willing to put forth the modicum of effort it requires to figure out that SP Plate is no good for your DK Tank, then you really do deserve to be shunned from decent groups of players who have put in the time and who expect the same level of commitment from the people they play with. In that, this story is an oddity. An extreme outlier.

That said, I agree that the community as a whole has become a lot less tolerant. And I agree that it is a very very bad thing. Players that have spent years and years honing their skills are not content to play with someone who’s merely “decent”. That happened often in my guild. Players who were the top DPS in their old guild would come to ours and be chewed up and spit out. Being “good” wasn’t enough. Hell, being “really really good” wasn’t enough. If you didn’t walk on water, you were bottom of the meters and were cajoled, mocked and laughed at until you quit.

There are plusses and minuses to this. On the one hand, we worked as a well oiled machine. Our runs were quick, our errors were minimal and we didn’t waste any time having to teach people how to play the game. On a mass scale though (I have to imagine pretty much every guild out there is giving their poorer players a hard time “great” guilds putting pressure on their “good” players, “good” guilds putting pressure on their “decent” players, etc) we’ve lost nearly all sense of community and willingness to help each other grow.

I doubt there’s any solution here. There’s definitely no turning back the wheels of time and all the sob stories in the world won’t have much of an effect on your average WoW player who just lost another 15 minutes of his life to some idiot standing in fire.

This was a good read. It made me smile and think. But, ultimately, not much more than that.
    Good grief I have missed so completely your perfectly cynical view on things, Firecrest.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by Saksy View Post
    South Korea and North Korea are different.
    we know. sk is cool, nk sucks.

ps:
    not sure why you had to add that TL;DR. but i had to resond to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    I don't understand the OP's quoted post's story at all. The guy played the game for an apparently very long time, was feeling horrible about how bad he was at the game, and the way it was making other people treat him, but in spite of this he hadn't even bothered to google (or whatever the korean equivalent is, I don't know) stuff like "wow dps" and reading what to do? Really?

Really?

Come on.

There's nothing wrong with asking for help, but if you can't even figure even such basic things as how to do half-decent DPS in wow, after you've played it for god know how long it takes to get to 90 and start raiding toes, then the problem isn't the community; it's you.

The story sounds more to me like a guy taking pity on a small child, or a wounded animal, more than it does like an interaction between human beings.
    I thought I read in the Outcast's post to the thread that he knew about the websites and had looked at them and read over them and he STILL DID NOT GET IT. Perhaps the shorthand gamers use was over his head. It's like speaking a completely new language. Without someone to hold his hand through that sort of things, and considering his assumed advanced age (...over 30? over 40? ... over 60? we don't know) maybe he was adrift. That's not even taking into account that he may have been visiting out of date sites and not realized it.

For me, at least, I understand how to look for game resources online. When I can't find what I want, I ask the friends I have that share the same interest in a particular game - they may have heard about a site that doesn't show up at the top for me that's quite up to date and user friendly. There are a lot of games out there to try. Most of them won't keep me if I don't have any friends outside the game already playing the same thing. Outcast apparently didn't have anyone to guide him.

Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    I thought I read in the Outcast's post to the thread that he knew about the websites and had looked at them and read over them and he STILL DID NOT GET IT. Perhaps the shorthand gamers use was over his head. It's like speaking a completely new language. Without someone to hold his hand through that sort of things, and considering his assumed advanced age (...over 30? over 40? ... over 60? we don't know) maybe he was adrift. That's not even taking into account that he may have been visiting out of date sites and not realized it.

For me, at least, I understand how to look for game resources online. When I can't find what I want, I ask the friends I have that share the same interest in a particular game - they may have heard about a site that doesn't show up at the top for me that's quite up to date and user friendly. There are a lot of games out there to try. Most of them won't keep me if I don't have any friends outside the game already playing the same thing. Outcast apparently didn't have anyone to guide him.
    Not everyone who plays wow is a 18yr wiz kid some are 70 year old grandmas and some are even Blind!

http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/01/19/70...ads-her-guild/

http://wow.joystiq.com/2012/01/12/gu...ildmate-steer/

I read a good bit of the OP and yes, clearly wow, like most anything now has gotten way too competitive for the top players, but this story is scripted in a way as to be some kind of university project on human behaviour or even a thesis,lol.

You can't script human behavior and be guaranteed a honest response.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm pretty sure we didn't need to necro this thread