Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Rogues turning into Demon Hunters.

I remember when DK's were first introduced, there was speculation that your main character would stop being *insert class* and begin playing as a Death Knight. Rogues have been on the decline for a while and 4.3 introducing Legendary Daggers seemed like a last ditch effort to revive the class.

My question is this, Demon Hunters have been speculated to be a new class for a while. Is there any merit to making Rogues into the next hero class? Would the mass player base even want this?

No, there is no merit to this idea.

They didn't do it with DKs for the same reason they won't do it here. At least with the DK idea, you could level any class and change it to a DK. With this idea, you basically want to remove one class and add another in its place. What exactly would be the point? In essence you are saying "nobody likes rogues so just get rid of them completely". No thanks.

Stood in the Fire ArMeD_SuRvIvOr's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    People want it, but they don't realize many abilities from Demon Hunters are already on the Warlock spellbook... and their fighting style is already like that of Rogues...

It will never happen. It's like asking to put Necromancers in the game when we have Warlocks and Death Knights. Just... no. They are way too similar. Necromancers rely on drains, life stealing, curses and summons. Those things are already owned by DK's and warlocks.
    Really sucks if they start to limit their vision for an expansion just to get the next one out faster.
    BLOOD DPS. Never forget. Still campaigning to get you back, babe.

Saying as a way to revamp the class. You could keep most of the same skills rogues already have and keep the whole sneaky assassin persona.

Well I for one actually like my rogue because I am nothing fancy, I am just some guy who stabs people. I don't want to be a big flashy superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by cricix View Post
    Saying as a way to revamp the class. You could keep most of the same skills rogues already have and keep the whole sneaky assassin persona.
    So what would you add? Specifically?

Quote Originally Posted by dingobongo View Post
    Well I for one actually like my rogue because I am nothing fancy, I am just some guy who stabs people. I don't want to be a big flashy superhero.

So what would you add? Specifically?

For starters, combo points on player. making stealth a timed ability would probably cut down on the "why rogues are cheap" mob. Then there's the PR view that Demon Hunters are infinitely cooler than rogues and would undoubtedly boost the numbers. Not to mention the amount of lore and RP that would come from the class.

but this was a quick thought and i don't have many specifics on gameplay changes.

Quote Originally Posted by cricix View Post
    For starters, combo points on player. making stealth a timed ability would probably cut down on the "why rogues are cheap" mob. Then there's the PR view that Demon Hunters are infinitely cooler than rogues and would undoubtedly boost the numbers. Not to mention the amount of lore and RP that would come from the class.
    Neither of those 2 things have to do with demon hunters. Its just a take on how to change existing rogue mechanics. Though I do like the idea of a warhammer type stealth and combo points not stacking on your target...

And no I don't think its a good idea. Like some one else said, most of the iconic DH stuff is in game already. DH also don't really seem to really fit the rogue archetype. Having rogues turn into DH, as also said above, means you are essentially saying to delete rogues and put a better class in there... that is incredibly similar (seeing as you want to keep some of the most intrinsic rogue stuff on DH).

Why are DH infinitely cooler than rogues? Thats like saying death knights are infinitely cooler than paladins. Sure, some will agree, but not everyone.

15+ Year Old Account
    I rather have it as a new class, i like my Rogue and always did > dont know what people complain about.

Nothing fancy? > My Warrior is nothing fancy and alot of people play that.

I never liked magic stuff and pewpew lazers everywhere, thats for other people to play but not me.

Warrior, Rogue, Hunter, just love them for their nothing fancyness :P
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

I don't think so. I REALLY like the idea, of the rogue class finding a "new direction" and evolving into a completely new class. I think we've seen blizzard is willing to do some crazy turns you'd never expect. Look at what they intended to turn the warlock class into, a potential tank. So it isn't out of the question to consider blizzard changing the class entirely. That would be an AWESOME change. I would LOVE this.

Quote Originally Posted by Azerox View Post
    I rather have it as a new class, i like my Rogue and always did > dont know what people complain about.
    I'd rather they stop adding new classes and focus on making specs of existing classes more distinct.

Stood in the Fire Static Transit's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rogues haven't been "on the decline." They've simply been growing slower than other classes. As a matter of fact, in Cata warlocks were the least-played class at max-level. Pretty sure the only reasons they've passed rogues are the big revamp they got and the massive damage afflic does in PvE.

Ghostcrawler had this to say in response to a Demon Hunter class:
    Q: You've said WoW cannot support an infinite number of classes.With DK and now Monks added will we ever see a Demon Hunter class
    A: Is there enough design space there not occupied by DK, warlock, hunter, warrior?
    And he's absolutely right. So I don't think we will ever see a Demon Hunter class.

And I really wish people would stop asking for a rogue revamp. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the class and many of us like it as it is; we always have and we always will. We are just not as vocal about it. As dingobongo put it, not all of us want to play a "fancy" class.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post

And he's absolutely right. So I don't think we will ever see a Demon Hunter class.

And I really wish people would stop asking for a rogue revamp. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the class and many of us like it as it is; we always have and we always will. We are just not as vocal about it. As dingobongo put it, not all of us want to play a "fancy" class.
    Yeah, DHs Have so much in common with hunters, right.

Quote Originally Posted by OneSent View Post

its just every class got revamped in some way we still have the same mechanic from vanilla staking CP on target finish on 5 .... keep SnD up. 60-70% passive dmg is not fun enough to keep me interessted and i only raid with my rogue i dont want to play anything else
    the ultimate answer's to all rogue issues :

-Rogues might still be dealing with the changes to combo points {2014}

The greatest thing about rogues is our variety. We have a good baseline toolkit of abilities and a general theme going for us- stealthy bastards. We DO share some abilities with Demon Hunters, yes, primarily our emphasis on shadows and deception and our dual wielding nature.

Honestly, the more I think about it and the more I look at the gear and the abilities, it almost seems like Blizz is toying with the ideas of making Demonology the Demon Hunter spec entirely. The logical part of my brain says that they will never do it, but there's that other part that hopes...
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead, and that World of Warcraft died with him."

Quote Originally Posted by Shedeo View Post
    The greatest thing about rogues is our variety. We have a good baseline toolkit of abilities and a general theme going for us- stealthy bastards. We DO share some abilities with Demon Hunters, yes, primarily our emphasis on shadows and deception and our dual wielding nature.

Honestly, the more I think about it and the more I look at the gear and the abilities, it almost seems like Blizz is toying with the ideas of making Demonology the Demon Hunter spec entirely. The logical part of my brain says that they will never do it, but there's that other part that hopes...
    yes we might have a big toolkit but 3/4 of it is pvp only hardly used in pve
    the ultimate answer's to all rogue issues :

-Rogues might still be dealing with the changes to combo points {2014}

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesshou View Post
    I'd rather they stop adding new classes and focus on making specs of existing classes more distinct.
    You're right ofcourse
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

Deleted
    I dare anyone to list the similarities between Rogue and Demon Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    I dare anyone to list the similarities between Rogue and Demon Hunter.
    Q: You've said WoW cannot support an infinite number of classes.With DK and now Monks added will we ever see a Demon Hunter class
    A: Is there enough design space there not occupied by DK, warlock, hunter, warrior?
    I don't see the rogue class mentioned.

As for class revamp, it's not that we don't have enough buttons or such, and we're truly entertaining in PvP. But still in PvE we're so dumbed down that all our three specs play just the same (while in PvP everyone plays only one spec because of effectiveness).

We need a revamp. Assa and Combat need better PvP tools and reliability, and in general for PvE rotations need to be reworked a lot. SnD is a boring mechanic, but it's the baseline to do any good performance for every spec. Same as Rupture.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.