High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Looking for Durable Headset

Hello

I am looking for a new headset but I know next to nothing about the market so any suggestions are welcome.

It needs to be:
    -very durable(3-5 years ideally but I'll settle for 2) I treat my electronics fairly well but I also use them almost constantly and am tired of breakages after a year or less
    -a headset opposed to headphones ie has to have a built in mic (I've read that most recommend headphones and a standing mic but this is not what I am looking for)
    -around ear rather than on ear cups
    -The more comfortable the better
    -USB

Additional notes:
    -noise cancelling would be nice but it isn't a requirement
    -I don't really care very much about audio quality, if it's not literally shrieking in my ear I probably won't complain xD
    -Low price is good but I am more than willing to pay for quality

I'm half considering Steelseries Siberia V2s as the reviews are very positive and I can't find many reports of early breakages but they exist and they don't look like a particularly sturdy design. I've looked at a few others but as per usual the selection for this type of thing is immense. I need some direction!

Thanks in Advance!
    Last edited by Me222; 2013-02-08 at 08:50 AM.

I had steelseries siberia v2's, seemed rather strong due to the use of flexible plastics and metal rather then a solid piece of plastic, had for 4-5 months until my kitten ate the cord

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridanjohn View Post
    I had steelseries siberia v2's, seemed rather strong due to the use of flexible plastics and metal rather then a solid piece of plastic, had for 4-5 months until my kitten ate the cord
    I was more concerned with the elastic material connecting the head band to the cups tbh. But it is good to know that they are stronger than they look. Its a shame your cat destroyed them. I would have loved to know how long they lasted lol.

Thanks

I have a Logitech G35. It fits what you want perfectly, and the cable is and rope-ish, so it won't break easily.
    Emotional Skyscraper ~ Cosmic Mind

I know it is not USB, but you shuld consider "Razer Charcarias". I bouth this headsett 2 years ago and i have treated it very bad (have had it with me around to other places at least 2 times a week). As I said at first, it is not USB but it shuld be everything els you are asking for (unless my english is worce then I had hoped).
    You can also consider "Razer Star Wars The Old Republic Headset". This is a headset I dont know much about but I bouth it to have a headsett at home insted of dragging it around with me.

Hope this helps a little. If not, I am sorry I may have wasted your time

My experience with Siberia v2 usb, 2 years+ :
    Good:
    - comfortable
    - well built and durable
    - decent sound quality

Bad:
    - usb "soundcard" started malfunctioning after ~18 months so I'm using standard headphone jack now
    - volume control is pathetic awful lil plastic wheel on the cable, and 2 stiff uncomfortable to press buttons on usb thingie

Overall: decent product but definitely not impressive. I do not regret buying it but it certainly wasn't among the best purchases I ever made.

I've been happy with my corsair vengeance 1500. Great sound (they actually use a decent usb sound card) and they're built like a tank.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    I've been happy with my corsair vengeance 1500. Great sound (they actually use a decent usb sound card) and they're built like a tank.
    seconded got the same one and for it's price range/class it is pretty damm good.

The syberia is a good headset but be warned that the ear pads aren't replacable. Ive had mine for over a year now and while they still sound great, the ear pads are uncomfortable and flat.
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS

I have Siberia v2 USB and my microphone is starting to give me some issues, if I pull it out more than halfway it is almost like it is muted.

If I were to get a new headset today I would look for any of Corsairs models or get proper headphones and a Zalman clip-on mic.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    If I were to get a new headset today I would look for any of Corsairs models or get proper headphones and a Zalman clip-on mic.
    This, maybe Plantronics too. Other than that, I really wouldn't be interested in any other headsets with built-in mics, except for the ones by Sennheiser I suppose.

But really, a Zalman clip-on mic is so much the exact same as a normal headset pretty much, that I don't see why you won't try headphones and the clip-on. You'll be getting better quality, professional stuff, and more for your money. Plus you can use the headphones outside to listen to music and just take the mic off.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    I wouldn't buy the Corsair Vengeance 1500... Bought them, and literally 10 minutes after using them, i packed them and sent them for an RMA... It could be just me but:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=103653
    http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=111741
    http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=109089
    http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=102880
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...-whine-problem
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/sho...php?p=23473708

Just read and make your own conclusions

P.S: This is not an Anti-Hate-OMG-Corsair-sucks post, it's just public service pointing people to hardware problems before them buy them.
    Last edited by mmoc707bc56263; 2013-02-11 at 12:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently using a senheiser pc-350
    I have rolled over the cord more times then i care to admit and even yanked it so hard that the 3.5mm plugs are slightly bent and both the speakers and mic still work flawlessly.
    Last edited by lockblock; 2013-02-11 at 05:50 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    Currently using a senheiser pc-350
    I have rolled over the cord more times then i care to admit and even yanked it so it so hard that the 3.5mm plugs are slightly bent and both the speakers and mic still work flawlessly.
    I've heard the PC 360s are even better, but yeah, even the 350s are leagues ahead of any Logitech, Razer, Steelseries, plastic toys.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had my pair of PC-350s for almost 2 years, and aside from being dirty from normal use, they are fine, i've ran over the cord many times and dropped them a few times on to concrete and no damage

they do need a headphone amp though, 150 ohms is a bit too much for most factory headphone jacks
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2013-02-11 at 06:20 AM.