Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Setting up a dedicated streaming rig

Heya guys and gals I was looking to build myself a dedicated PC for streaming which would allows me to stream in HD quality without dropping frames. I have 100 mb/s down and 5 mb up so internet isn't an issue for me, it's just a case of getting the right PC for the job. I need everything ranging from RAM to CPU to PSU or even a great looking case or monitor if you have any recommendations! The only two things that I would possibly have is 8mb of RAM from my old case and a 1TB HDD, I'd also be interested in an SSD if it can increase loading speeds whilst streaming.

I also been I want your advice on some things regarding creating a sound system.

I was using the Steelseries Siberia V2 Diablo Headset, however I found that due te faults with the wiring the microphone broke within 6 months and this has prompted this change. What I am looking for is a pair of headphones and a good quality desktop micorphone and in addition to this I would like advice on whether it is worth getting a sound card. By this I mean how far does it improve sound quality and will I see the difference when I am streaming?

thought there would be a few posts in this. :/
    i don't know much about streaming besides it may take a chunk of ram and cpu usage.
    as for the ssd. don't hesitate to get one. install windows and games on it. you will enjoy the load times.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cark View Post
    Heya guys and gals I was looking to build myself a dedicated PC for streaming which would allows me to stream in HD quality without dropping frames. I have 100 mb/s down and 5 mb up so internet isn't an issue for me, it's just a case of getting the right PC for the job. I need everything ranging from RAM to CPU to PSU or even a great looking case or monitor if you have any recommendations! The only two things that I would possibly have is 8mb of RAM from my old case and a 1TB HDD, I'd also be interested in an SSD if it can increase loading speeds whilst streaming.
    Everything is possible, EXCEPT the bit that would allow streaming without dropping frames.
    There's only 1 thing that can make that work, and there aren't many things around capable of such.
    That's a dedicated streaming card which encodes the stream on the fly, an example of that is AverMedia Live Gamer HD (C985) but currently there's an issue that streaming via Twitch for some reason shows as lagging whilst if you watch the VoD after it will work perfectly.

Otherwise with the state of WoW's coding the only possible way to lessen the impact of streaming would be a very hefty Hexacore build which will NOT be cheap.

I also been I want your advice on some things regarding creating a sound system.

I was using the Steelseries Siberia V2 Diablo Headset, however I found that due te faults with the wiring the microphone broke within 6 months and this has prompted this change. What I am looking for is a pair of headphones and a good quality desktop micorphone and in addition to this I would like advice on whether it is worth getting a sound card. By this I mean how far does it improve sound quality and will I see the difference when I am streaming?
    If you're using proper headsets the difference is huge, but again extremely expensive.
    If you desire to have a good pair of headphones without being an audiophile and it being affordable, check out the Corsair Vengeance 1500 (wired) and 2000 (wireless), however in the realm of wanting the best of the best there's plenty of audiophiles which can help you with this, but be VERY specific about your desires.

This is not a simple thing as costs can run up to 1000 euros simply getting the best audiophile headsets f.ex. with associated hardware in the PC.

Get a video capture card. That way you don't put much, if any, additional load on your system.

You think 5mb/s up is enough to stream in hd without issue? Think again.
    Robtrina of Sylvanas.
    Robwong of Sylvanas.
    Roblína of Sylvanas.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by roblina View Post
    You think 5mb/s up is enough to stream in hd without issue? Think again.
    In the U.S your not going to get much better then 5mb up I know in the EU you all guys get 75up and 100 down we just don't get that here.

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    In the U.S your not going to get much better then 5mb up I know in the EU you all guys get 75up and 100 down we just don't get that here.
    That's mostly in the Nordic countries. In Germany you usually get 1-3 mbps up. A little more if you can get a business contract.

Deleted
    Considering you're building a system to dedicate entirely to streaming, it's safe to say that you're either a person with plenty of disposable income or you're looking at it as an investment of sorts. That said, don't skimp!

Get an i7 and 8GB RAM at the very least, personally I'd go with 16GB - The price difference is negligible.

Deleted
    Well I'm not sitting here with bundles of cash, if that's what you mean. I'm more looking for a PC that I can comfortably stream with at 720 without feeling like im breaking my PC into a million tiny pieces

15+ Year Old Account
    Hence the question, what is your budget for this thing?
    Also where are you from, EU or US?

They are completely different in price of things etc.

Deleted
    Well I'm not sitting here with bundles of cash, if that's what you mean. I'm more looking for a PC that I can comfortably stream with at 720 without feeling like im breaking my PC into a million tiny pieces
    just give us a budget and im pretty sure we can make a good list of hardware.
    also what kind of hardware do you currently have ? (also including monitors/os etc?) since scavenging would save you money.

Deleted
    I'm from the EU, namely the UK. I'm currently playing on a laptop so that doesn't count.

my old rig has some salvageable RAM, im on a 17" monitor at the moment which is bearable but i'd like to upgrade that if it I can get it in budget. I also have a salvageable harddrive but the rest of the case is old and extremely outdated.

Speaking of budget, I'd be looking to spend £700-£1000 in total, although I would like to get as low down the scale as I can without blowing all my money because if I can save where I can, I can then just upgrade pieces in the future.

15+ Year Old Account

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedelus View Post
    overkill mobo imo, also no monitor.

try this instead
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£163.19 @ Aria PC)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£101.98 @ Dabs)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£42.96 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£67.85 @ Ebuyer)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card (£236.09 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£47.99 @ Novatech)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Monitor: Asus VE248H 24.0" Monitor (£159.50 @ Ebuyer)
    Total: £857.99
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 18:18 GMT+0000)
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2013-02-10 at 06:19 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    overkill mobo imo, also no monitor.

try this instead

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£25.45 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£67.85 @ Ebuyer)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card (£236.09 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply (£47.99 @ Novatech)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Monitor: Asus VE248H 24.0" Monitor (£159.50 @ Ebuyer)
    Total: £857.99
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 18:18 GMT+0000)
    A nice build, but I'd prefer a 23" monitor, I dont really need an optical drive as I have no need for one and I perhaps can pull one for cheap if I do happen to need one. In addition to this is a 660 the best option? Why not a windforce 660 for less? It might just me being a money grabbing son of a **** but yeah

Deleted
    A nice build, but I'd prefer a 23" monitor, I dont really need an optical drive as I have no need for one and I perhaps can pull one for cheap if I do happen to need one. In addition to this is a 660 the best option? Why not a windforce 660 for less? It might just me being a money grabbing son of a **** but yeah
    well the one i linked is a 660Ti iirc this is/was the cheapest with an aftermarket cooler. (Ti version is a good 10-15% faster/better)
    scrap the drive is easy.
    monitor that is personal choice i'd find 23" an odd size but if it works for you why not.

edited the list

Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card (£217.27 @ Amazon UK)
    Monitor: Asus ML238H 23.0" Monitor (£156.91 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £823.60
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-10 20:53 GMT+0000)

found a cheaper asus 660Ti aftermarket so saved 20 quid there, as for the monitor the only good 23" one is only like 3 pounds cheaper vs a 24" one. (i'd just take the 24" one)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Well that's just false. My internet is 55/25 from Fios and that's not even top of the line.
    Packers - Penguins - Gators

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    I took your list shroudster and modified it a bit, i think this'd be a far better.

The changes are as follows:
    Memory: I've seen a ton of Corsair Vengeance memory of this model fail lately, like alot, where every single one of the Crucial type i've yet to see fail... ever. I think this may have something to do with it being built completely inhouse where Corsair outsources and simply doesn't have the same QA for it.
    Power Supply: I'm not friends with the Corsair builder series PSU, i've had a couple crap out on me, i've had better success with the XFX series, but purely on specs, i hate the retarded way it looks.
    Monitor: I've yet to see an ASUS monitor beat an iiyama monitor in quality, and especially not the TN panel you chose vs. the IPS i just parked in.

I WOULD change the ASRock mobo too because of a bad history with them, but i'm willing to give it a go in a build really, they certainly offer value, but let's see if their quality still lacks or not.

As far as the rest goes, all components you selected seem fine, but you missed 1 thing:

Corsair Vengeance 1500 Wired 7.1 USB headset
    Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 USB headset

They are in essence the same headset, just 1 is wired and the other wireless, for your budget reasons this would be your best choice.
    Don't go on the pure naysayers with "ALL USB HEADSETS ARE SHITE!!111oneoneone" as this is complete and utter non-sense, the Veangeance series are fantastic headsets and are by no means a wrong buy, you will be liking them... ALOT.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    I took your list shroudster and modified it a bit, i think this'd be a far better.

The changes are as follows:
    Memory: I've seen a ton of Corsair Vengeance memory of this model fail lately, like alot, where every single one of the Crucial type i've yet to see fail... ever. I think this may have something to do with it being built completely inhouse where Corsair outsources and simply doesn't have the same QA for it.
    Power Supply: I'm not friends with the Corsair builder series PSU, i've had a couple crap out on me, i've had better success with the XFX series, but purely on specs, i hate the retarded way it looks.
    Monitor: I've yet to see an ASUS monitor beat an iiyama monitor in quality, and especially not the TN panel you chose vs. the IPS i just parked in.

I WOULD change the ASRock mobo too because of a bad history with them, but i'm willing to give it a go in a build really, they certainly offer value, but let's see if their quality still lacks or not.

As far as the rest goes, all components you selected seem fine, but you missed 1 thing:

Corsair Vengeance 1500 Wired 7.1 USB headset
    Corsair Vengeance 2000 Wireless 7.1 USB headset

They are in essence the same headset, just 1 is wired and the other wireless, for your budget reasons this would be your best choice.
    Don't go on the pure naysayers with "ALL USB HEADSETS ARE SHITE!!111oneoneone" as this is complete and utter non-sense, the Veangeance series are fantastic headsets and are by no means a wrong buy, you will be liking them... ALOT.
    +1 for the monitor find. (still got one myself from 10 years ago non ips though)
    headset this a good choice.

Deleted
    Ok awesome! Thank you both of you for your wonderful contributions. I'd best get saving!